PDA

View Full Version : Question about Book Tours

LadyWillowHawk
January 3rd, 2006, 08:46 PM
:huh: I have a serious question about book tours. Are they really necessary to an author's success, or an add plus? The reason I ask is that I don't have the means to have a book tour, when my fantasy novel is published. I live in Ontario, Canada and I would be able to go to different cities in my immediate vicinity and their libraries, but to travel to other provinces or to the states would be impossible. I don't have the money, resources, or a means of travel. Could someone advise me on this?:)
BB
LadyWillowHawk

Yasmine Galenorn
January 3rd, 2006, 09:00 PM
:huh: I have a serious question about book tours. Are they really necessary to an author's success, or an add plus? The reason I ask is that I don't have the means to have a book tour, when my fantasy novel is published. I live in Ontario, Canada and I would be able to go to different cities in my immediate vicinity and their libraries, but to travel to other provinces or to the states would be impossible. I don't have the money, resources, or a means of travel. Could someone advise me on this?:)
BB
LadyWillowHawk

They're an added plus...they aren't really 'necessary.' I mainly do local signings and readings, a few one state away, but I don't have the time or money for travel either and publishers are pretty tight on the purse strings for things like that. You might want to go to one or two big conventions a year, though--save up for those and skip the smaller ones unless they're near home. You can do a lot more outreach that way.

Who is your publisher? When does the novel come out?

Yasmine :colorful:

LadyWillowHawk
January 3rd, 2006, 10:07 PM
Thanks Yasmine. I have an reputable agent in Australia, her name is Maree Angland. I met her in a creative write group I'm in. She also is the owner and founder of www.celticsorceryproductions.com, where I am one of the team researchers and authors. I sent her a synopsis of my fantasy novel titled " The Calling " and she said she would be pleased to be my agent. As to when it comes out, I'm just now revisng, editing, and typing it on the computer. I have written 13 chapters so far, and I'm still going strong. This is my first novel and I am thrilled about it and apprehensive at the same time. These feelings are common aren't they ?
BTW my writing name is Ameasha.
BB
LadyWillowHawk

Yasmine Galenorn
January 3rd, 2006, 10:20 PM
Thanks Yasmine. I have an reputable agent in Australia, her name is Maree Angland. I met her in a creative write group I'm in. She also is the owner and founder of www.celticsorceryproductions.com (http://www.celticsorceryproductions.com), where I am one of the team researchers and authors. I sent her a synopsis of my fantasy novel titled " The Calling " and she said she would be pleased to be my agent. As to when it comes out, I'm just now revisng, editing, and typing it on the computer. I have written 13 chapters so far, and I'm still going strong. This is my first novel and I am thrilled about it and apprehensive at the same time. These feelings are common aren't they ?
BTW my writing name is Ameasha.
BB
LadyWillowHawk

I'm so glad you got a reputable agent--for fiction, it's so helpful. I adore my agent, she's out of NY and one of the best. So, is she shopping it around now, or after the book is done (that's pretty typical)?

Apprehension and being thrilled at the same time? Welcome to the entire life of a writer...those jitters never go away. *grins* You learn to cope with them as time goes on, and work through them.

Yazza :colorful:

LadyWillowHawk
January 3rd, 2006, 10:37 PM
I'm so glad you got a reputable agent--for fiction, it's so helpful. I adore my agent, she's out of NY and one of the best. So, is she shopping it around now, or after the book is done (that's pretty typical)?

Apprehension and being thrilled at the same time? Welcome to the entire life of a writer...those jitters never go away. *grins* You learn to cope with them as time goes on, and work through them.

Yazza :colorful:

She has mentioned me to some of her people, and they seemed interested. Personally, my feeling on it is, I would rather wait until the whole novel is finished and I can hand over the entire manuscript completed. Any thoughts on this ?
BB
LadyWillowHawk

Yasmine Galenorn
January 3rd, 2006, 11:14 PM
She has mentioned me to some of her people, and they seemed interested. Personally, my feeling on it is, I would rather wait until the whole novel is finished and I can hand over the entire manuscript completed. Any thoughts on this ?
BB
LadyWillowHawk

Honestly? For your first book, your chances are (at least here in the US) MUCH better if you have a complete manuscript. I think it's the same in AU, from the authors I've talked to from there. For legit/traditional publishers, you really can't get that first contract without a full ms. Make it as tight as possible, spell check the hell out of it and then eyeball it--spellcheck doesn't catch all errors. Kill your darlings (ie: if a phrase jumps off the page and stands out, chances are it should bite the dust, even if it's great--you want the book to flow, not be jerky).

Much luck to you! It's a competitive, heartwrenching, dog-eat-dog business, but if you have that drive, it's also wonderful. :)

LadyWillowHawk
January 3rd, 2006, 11:45 PM
Honestly? For your first book, your chances are (at least here in the US) MUCH better if you have a complete manuscript. I think it's the same in AU, from the authors I've talked to from there. For legit/traditional publishers, you really can't get that first contract without a full ms. Make it as tight as possible, spell check the hell out of it and then eyeball it--spellcheck doesn't catch all errors. Kill your darlings (ie: if a phrase jumps off the page and stands out, chances are it should bite the dust, even if it's great--you want the book to flow, not be jerky).

Much luck to you! It's a competitive, heartwrenching, dog-eat-dog business, but if you have that drive, it's also wonderful. :)

Thanks hun, for the advice and luck. When she writes the second book on Mystics and Merrymakers, I will be a character in her book ( LadyWillowHawk ) a long with others.
Here is the new press release about Maree. I thought you might be interested in reading it.

Celtic Sorcery Productions To Rock Australia With New Medieval Masquerade Party.
Released by: Celtic Sorcery Productions
2005-12-31 14:37:59

Summary:
Australian small business Celtic Sorcery Productions has brought in the New Year by starting plans to a huge fundraising event called Mystics & Merrymakers Masquerade Party(TM)in Australia.

For_Immediate_Release:
NSW, Australia January 1, 2006

Small Aussie business Celtic Sorcery Productions has officially started to count down the clock for their new event Mystics & Merrymakers Masquerade Party(TM) to be held in Australia on March 17, 2007 for around 700 guests.

The hard working team have placed the party in 2007 due to the enormous preparation of the event, venue availability and at the request of several hundred requests from business contacts overseas who wish to attend the event.

The party is based on a book called The Adventures of Mystics & Merrymakers (A medieval comedy)which Celtic Sorcery Productions owner Maree Agland, is primary author for.
The team already has interest from five movie directors in California but have stated that they want the right director and producer for their script before they will sell.

"The highest bid will not necessarily win, the director who will choose the actors we request for certain parts will have the ruling factor" stated Ms Agland.

The book is due out sometime in 2006 and already has two publishers wanting first read based on synopsis alone. Aussie CSP artist Jessica Everington has almost completed the illustrations for this incredible book and a steady fanclub is growing.

The medieval comedy was based on characters from Ryze Business Networking website, with the help of co authors Rachel Crance, Jane Hemenway, Martha Jette and Brenda Renison from Canada and America. All women admitted to their passion for Ricky Martin's music which inspired this tongue-in-cheek book.

Potential sponsors for this charity fundraiser are already wanting to sign their cheque books for this event. However, the team at Celtic Sorcery Productions want quality sponsors for the event and quality items for the goodie bags of business merchandise they plan to give away at the event. The team are cautious as to whom they choose.

"We have paid our dues heavily in the past with some bad contacts but have learnt from the situation and we investigate people and businesses before we deal with them from now on". Ms Agland stated.

"We have a Faery & Goblin Festival and Masquerade Party for October 2006 to plan and are open to take on sponsors for both fundraisers. However, we have an excellent reputation to uphold and will scrutinise who will be connected to us in the media." she continued,"That is why we withdrew from organising the masquerade ball in Hollywood for 2006 for an American client we do not wish to name. We withdrew all support in May 2005 and haven't looked back since with our success".

Watch the Celtic Sorcery Productions website in the near future for more information on this incredible medieval party proudly supported by several major Australian celebrities who will be attending.

For more details: Maree Agland
Celtic Sorcery Productions
celtic_sorcery@optusnet.com.au

Keywords: Celtic Sorcery Productions To Rock Australia With New Medieval Masquerade Party.

BB
LadyWillowHawk

dragoncrone
January 6th, 2006, 04:50 PM
...aren't mandatory. But it helps to take advantage of any fairs or festivals or gatherings that are within driving distance. People will enjoy meeting you, you might make some valuable connections, AND it's more lucrative selling directly to the public than getting a percentage (no matter how generous) from bookstores.

It's good to have a car you can sleep in...:hahugh:

Yasmine Galenorn
January 6th, 2006, 09:23 PM
...aren't mandatory. But it helps to take advantage of any fairs or festivals or gatherings that are within driving distance. People will enjoy meeting you, you might make some valuable connections, AND it's more lucrative selling directly to the public than getting a percentage (no matter how generous) from bookstores.

It's good to have a car you can sleep in...:hahugh:

Yeah, but if you're in traditional publishing, numbers make the next contract, so I prefer that people buy from bookstores--it works out much better for me in the long run.

And the last time I tried to sleep in a car was years ago and crushed any future plans on that. We have a Neon, I have a bad back, and I may be short but I'm not narrow. :)

KristinMadden
January 22nd, 2006, 12:52 AM
I'm sorry that I come so late to this thread. My mom is in end-stage lung disease so I'm not getting much time online these days.

I would say that, for a first book, tours are nice and certainly help but there are other ways to get the word out. I would ask what your publisher is willing to pay for or help pay for as far as tours go. But also find out about radio interviews. I wouldn't rely solely on your publisher for this. They like to see that authors can market too. Do an internet search or ask around to find appropriate radio shows and inquire about getting on the show. Do the same for conferences/festival gatherings that are near your area. Often organizers have staff that would be happy to put you up to help get you to the event and a meal plan is not a big thing to ask for.

And use the Internet! Get a website up, put up part of a chapter, start talking it up on email lists that you are already a member of (don't join just to promote though - everyone hates that).

And Congratulations!!!!
Kristin Madden

Yasmine Galenorn
January 22nd, 2006, 02:32 PM
I'm sorry that I come so late to this thread. My mom is in end-stage lung disease so I'm not getting much time online these days.
Kristin Madden

I'm so sorry about your mother, Kristin. I lost my mother to cancer five years ago...it's never easy, no matter what the problem is. :hugz: I wish you--and her--all the best, and good health, and the easiest transition possible if returning health is too much to ask.

dragoncrone
January 25th, 2006, 10:47 AM
Yeah, but if you're in traditional publishing, numbers make the next contract, so I prefer that people buy from bookstores--it works out much better for me in the long run.
And the last time I tried to sleep in a car was years ago and crushed any future plans on that. We have a Neon, I have a bad back, and I may be short but I'm not narrow.

...can be brutal! I have an old VW bus with a pop-up, so I'm good to go. :fpeace:
I've found that Pagan Festivals and Scottish Games are among the best venues for me - dragonfolk abound, AND the weekend events usually have camping areas available. Since I'm self-published, I tend to go where the money is best.
:money: :hahugh: