PDA

View Full Version : Traditionalist ~ Gods/Goddesses

woodencat
March 26th, 2001, 06:33 PM
I thought I would start a thread relating to the following subject...if anyones interested.. :sunny:

Though not new to paganism...I am quite new to Wicca, and wondered the following things - I have been reading and reading (and will continue forever..hehe) - but still find it hard to distinguish PRECISELY which Gods/Goddesses and most importantly which pantheon (If any singularly) are directly held by certain traditionalist Wiccan groups, eg Alexandrian, Gardnerian, Georgian, Ophidian,etc etc etc.
From what I can understand most of these groups are quite eclectic in their own ways anyways - though still focused on the Threefold Goddess and Dual form God.

Am I completely lost :confused: :)

Perhaps it is something I will learn with time..

thanks

Mairwen
March 26th, 2001, 07:57 PM
No, I don't think you're completely lost. Then again, "Wicca" is mostly a foreign concept to me, sooo ....

woodencat
March 26th, 2001, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by Mairwen
No, I don't think you're completely lost. Then again, "Wicca" is mostly a foreign concept to me, sooo ....

Yeah...it's pretty foreign to me too.. :)
I look at them all as a box of delicious chocolates..LOL (Sorry)
Well...that's my metaphor anyways.. :D

....so, I do hope to learn eventually about them ALL

Thanks Mairwen

LaDaya
April 16th, 2001, 12:41 PM
I always just use the God and the Goddess because all the pantheons and different belief systems confuse me. I don't know which Wiccan traditions worship who but I think most of them have mainly the God and Goddess and then some of them break it down even more into the different pantheons... but like I said... pantheons confuse the heck out of me so I don't know for sure.

Mairwen
April 16th, 2001, 02:40 PM
As for myself and our Tradition, our Pantheon is Welsh-Gaelic

woodencat
April 22nd, 2001, 01:54 AM
Thanks LaDaya & Mairwen.

Yes, I try to study ALL the Gods/Goddesses & yes there are very many of them :) - Though I do feel that THEY call you most of the time. But In traditionalist groups I often wondered if there were set groups. Since writing my questions, I have been told that most often in the Main Traditionalist groups - that their pantheon and Gods/Goddesses are held as a high secret - so perhaps that is why i do not know..lol

Thanks for your help :D

Mairwen
April 22nd, 2001, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by woodencat
Yes, I try to study ALL the Gods/Goddesses & yes there are very many of them :)

There are over 600 in the Indo-European God-Family, alone.

Though I do feel that THEY call you most of the time.

Yuppers

But In traditionalist groups I often wondered if there were set groups.

In ours there is, yes.

that their pantheon and Gods/Goddesses are held as a high secret - so perhaps that is why i do not know..lol

Huh? I've been a studying/practicing Pagan for going-on 13 years, and that's the first I've heard that! :confused:

woodencat
April 22nd, 2001, 02:04 PM
[Huh? I've been a studying/practicing Pagan for going-on 13 years, and that's the first I've heard that! :confused: [/B][/QUOTE]

I know...I find this a strange thing aswell.
Don't quote ME on that...LOL
I think what if anything it means - that is some of the more secretive 'wiccan' traditions - that their various Gods/Goddesses are kept only within their covens, perhaps?
I really don't know :confused: :)

I guess as I'm learning more about 'Wicca' I have a great interest in discovering which groups relate to which Gods/Godesses, but was having trouble dicsovering any of that, and still find it is rather vague. I guess my main interest in learning this, is to know if any of the groups and which groups relate to similar pantheons or Gods/Goddesses as I do. I guess not only in Wicca but in Paganism in general. But I do think that I will find the answers in time.

Thanks again Mairwen