PDA

View Full Version : Sylvia Browne

zerospace
January 6th, 2006, 10:20 AM
Sylvia Browne is that famous psychic that comes on Montel every Wednesday (I think). I read several of her books and I did agree with a lot she said about the afterlife, dreams, spirits and death. Iíve been recording evpís for years and I know much of what she said is true. The only thing that bothers me is how she turns everything into business. She charges $1000 a person for simple lectures. On her website she doesnít give out any free information but just list all of her jewelry and other products. What do you think about Sylvia? Do you think she's a fake?

Ahautenites
January 6th, 2006, 10:30 AM
She has a gift, but it's warped and twisted to suit her own needs. I've found that "Journey of Souls" and "Destiny of Souls", both written by Michael Newton, are much better, and they are presented without any bias on the author's part.... unlike what Sylvia does, skewing everything toward her own ideal vision that is in line with her own church's beliefs. Check out the threads that are listed at the bottom of this page, and you will see that I have given my opinion of Ms. Browne in them as well.

MelMullooly
January 6th, 2006, 10:33 AM
I don't think she's fake, but I do feel she is a bit greedy!! I can understand this is her living her gift but the prices she gives are outrageous. I once read a letter from a lady on the web that said she spent $500.00 for a phone reading from Sylvia Browne and nothing she said was at all accurate! I feel that if you charge that much and the persons reading is in no way shape or form right then a refund or another reading should be given! Instead her emails went unanswered her phone calls were rudely ended and noone offered A remedy for her situation. I could see if it were a $25.00 reading but, $500.00 uh huh thats not right!

PoisonIvy
January 6th, 2006, 10:36 AM
One of the fakest!

The other night she was interviewed on the radio and she was asked if the coal miners would be found alive and she said yes. After they were found "not alive" she said...."I said they would be found,I didn't say if they would be found alive." LIE!!!!!

Oh yeah,you forgot to mention that during the commercials on Montel,they make sure to advertise about how Sylvia will give ya daily affirmations(sp) for a small fee.:lol:
Sylvia is a "psychic whore" as far as I'm concerned. She's way too commercial and I truely believe that people with "the gift of sight" don't exploit it like that.
Sure money is nice,but I don't see Alison Dubois(sp) prostituting her abilities like that! At least she has a legit job at a law firm and does actually help the police solve crimes! I don't see her on talk shows showing off,selling books,jewlery(wtf is up with that?) and charging outrageous amouts of cash to help people! She helps people out of the goodness of her heart.

zerospace
January 6th, 2006, 10:38 AM
I do believe in some of what she says but I just think she's is more into maknig money than helping people.

MelMullooly
January 6th, 2006, 10:58 AM
Thats the words I was lookinf for!!!

One of the fakest!

The other night she was interviewed on the radio and she was asked if the coal miners would be found alive and she said yes. After they were found "not alive" she said...."I said they would be found,I didn't say if they would be found alive." LIE!!!!!

Oh yeah,you forgot to mention that during the commercials on Montel,they make sure to advertise about how Sylvia will give ya daily affirmations(sp) for a small fee.:lol:
Sylvia is a "psychic whore" as far as I'm concerned. She's way too commercial and I truely believe that people with "the gift of sight" don't exploit it like that.
Sure money is nice,but I don't see Alison Dubois(sp) prostituting her abilities like that! At least she has a legit job at a law firm and does actually help the police solve crimes! I don't see her on talk shows showing off,selling books,jewlery(wtf is up with that?) and charging outrageous amouts of cash to help people! She helps people out of the goodness of her heart.

Trithemius
January 6th, 2006, 11:19 AM
One of the fakest!

FOX News got hold of this little incident.

TV Psychic Misses Mark on Miners (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,180681,00.html)

BTW, did anyone catch the interview on Larry King Live a week or so ago with Browne, van Praagh, and another woman psychic? There were a couple of skeptics on the show, one was a rabbi and the other a professor from Oklahoma City University, who were challenging their authenticity. You know the old saying "Methinks thou dost protest too much?" Well, the psychics were really, really protesting. ;)

Kaliel
January 6th, 2006, 11:33 AM
Well yuo have to remember that Sylvia was a psychologist first, and that her ability, if she really has any, lies in the ability to read people, know about business management and advertising, and in knowing what to say to make people believe it is true. I am sure she has had little to no experiences herself, or if she has, she does it the traditional way, with an evp machine, not with her apparent abilities.

SidneyCozzoi
January 6th, 2006, 11:52 AM
I think greed warps the mind of the adept psychic. We all have this sight, only some use it and others sell it. Making a living through it is fine, being greedy warps it. I think she had some merit when she first got out there, I find her very difficult to take seriously.

Valnorran
January 6th, 2006, 12:20 PM
Personally, I think she's full of it. I don't trust T.V. psychics any more than I trust T.V. preachers.

MysticWitch
January 6th, 2006, 12:33 PM
I think its unfair to say someone with psychic abilities has to always be right. Speaking from personal experiences I have had feelings or sense stuff that became 100% truth and other times I wasn't so right but I still had that sense. I think alot of what she has predicted before was true, and just because she gets some wrong doesnt mean she is fake. (even if she is)

zerospace
January 6th, 2006, 01:07 PM
Its possible that she is psychic but that doesn't mean she should charge people so much for her help. In a lot of her books she boast about her family's "gift" and even uses her son and his daughter to say they are psychic as well. I just think its morally wrong to take someone's money for advice.

Thereca
January 6th, 2006, 02:10 PM
I do believe That Sylvia Brown's gift is real. I also dont see wrong intentions if one doesn't hit the mark always Imperfections are our mortal faults not one uf us are perfect in anyway not one person can honestly say they always ee evrythng the right way everytime whether it is in tarot, divination, psychic etc. If they do theywould be lying. To dicuss her family and gifts I see no issues there either. Look back at the threads, look in everyday life many of us boasts our own or our family skills just about every day life so why shuld gifts be any different? Look at things like hereditary witch.. etc we all talk about it it excites us and makes us proud, we talk about our own gifts regularly to others when we offer our own two cents worth.
The money issue is something she has todecide, I have seen threads asking should I charge for a reading or a consult. I think there were many responses to say yeas, we not only have to fed our energies but we have to feed and nourish ourselves, and provide shelter and things that make us feel good about being ourselves, feeling good raises our energies. While I would not charge $1000.00 I may not even feel comfortable $100.00 tht doesnot mean someone else shouldn't. I have felt bad paying $20.00 or $35.00 because I was financially tight and felt that I was paying to much even though the answers I sought were given, at the time I really could not spare the expense. Its all perception.
You must also bear in mind she gifts back, not with her abilities directly, but she is party to many charities who research illness and disease etc.. one of those being MS, would you tell the people afflicted that they should not take the reearch funding because she charges more than youwould be willing to pay?
Just a thought!!

SidneyCozzoi
January 6th, 2006, 02:48 PM
I agree with many of you, a psychic doesn't always get it right, it's not all cut and dry (speaking from experience), however, I do think that gift can be jaded by what is done with it.

Catiana
January 6th, 2006, 09:03 PM
She's coming to Phoenix on March 4, I'm thinking of going but haven't completely decided yet. Tickets range from $75-$50. I've read her books and seen her on Montel but I can't really say if she's real or a fake but I think it might be fun to see her live.

PoisonIvy
January 7th, 2006, 08:25 AM
Well yuo have to remember that Sylvia was a psychologist first, and that her ability, if she really has any, lies in the ability to read people, know about business management and advertising, and in knowing what to say to make people believe it is true. I am sure she has had little to no experiences herself, or if she has, she does it the traditional way, with an evp machine, not with her apparent abilities.

OH! Now it all becomes clear! She was a psychologist? I didn't know that,but I suppose that would explain it!

When a person asks Ms.Browne,"My father died about 4 months ago,is he with me and is he proud of me?" Do ya really think that she'd answer,"Well.....no,he couldn't stand you and by the way,he's frying in hell as we speak!" Of course she's not gonna say that! She always says yes and he no longer has any pain..

She's gotta make people happy so that they wanna spend a trillion dollars to see her again,so instead she says,"Oh yes,I see your father behind you now and he's nodding his head that he is very proud of you and he loves you and he's ok now." It's called PSYCHOLOGY!!!!!!

I told a woman at work that I saw a short man behind her,his name was Michael(a common man's name) and that he was pointing to his chest area( plenty of people have chest pains) and that he was saying, "I died to soon."
The woman said "OMG,that's my grandpa! You really are psychic!" Now I can't convince the woman that I just picked a common name and a common condition to proove a point about how these fake tv psychics do it.

If a psychic says,"Who's Betty?" Believe me,you're mind will find a way to dig up a Betty even if it's your grandmas best friend that died when you were 3.
"Oh yeah,I totally forgot about Betty,she was my grandmas best friend and like another mom to my mom,but she died when I was 3. I remember all the stories that they used to tell me about her. Such a sweet lady. I wonder why she's giving me that message instead of my mom?":lol: BECAUSE YOU JUST GOT MIND F@#$%& BY YOURSELF AND A LIAR! That's why you got the Betty message!

I took psych in college and you can convince anyone of anything if ya do it the right way.
Not a psychics are frauds,I do believe that they exist. But when I get a reading,if they ask me my name and birth year,I say "If you can give me the name of a family member or the year that they passed,then why can't you tell me my name or year of birth?",then I leave.

Valnorran
January 7th, 2006, 12:13 PM
When a person asks Ms.Browne,"My father died about 4 months ago,is he with me and is he proud of me?" Do ya really think that she'd answer,"Well.....no,he couldn't stand you and by the way,he's frying in hell as we speak!" Of course she's not gonna say that! She always says yes and he no longer has any pain..
LOL! Yep! She never says, "Your father died in screaming agony and he's never going to forgive you for wrecking his car." You'd think someone who's made contact with so many spirits would've bumped into at least one or two cases like that.

Belladona
January 7th, 2006, 01:31 PM
LOL! I totally agree with you. And by the way did you catch her on the news last night? I guess she really screwed up on live TV saying she "knew" that all of those trapped miners were alive, until she heard different, then she changed her story. Check it out:
http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/viewnews.php?id=58798

Anubis
January 7th, 2006, 02:21 PM
i have done readings for people (free by the way).. and I never ask them the "questions".. one man asked me if I saw any spirits around him.. I went on to describe a short fat black woman who wore glasses.. she was pissed at him for letting his last girlfriend get away and did not like his new one.. I also mentioned that she was playing with a roseary and what kind of clothes she was wearing (along with her name) he sat there in shock.. the look on his face was priceless.. come to find out it was his Aunt who had taken care of him as a little boy.. and she always had a roseary close at hand... when he thought about the two girlfriends he had to agree with his aunt... his last one was more of the type that she would have wanted him to settle down with.. his newest one only wanted his money.
Now this guy was not christian.. and not from the US.. he had no pictures of this woman in his home on display.. He never told me he was rasied by his Aunt until AFTER I told him what I saw.. he aslo never mentioned his girlfriends until after I was done talking..
I didn't read his body language.. I didn't major in psychology... I only told him what she looked like and what she said to me... So yeah there are people out there who are genuine.. however we are the kind who don't want to be on tv and don't want to get paid large sums of money for our "help"

On the other hand.. I have very little respect for someone who does what Ms Browne does.. which to me is about as fake as they come... just my opinion.. lol.. John Edwards is another one... 'is there someone close to you who's name begins with an "M"?'... uh.. duh... (and when on the rare occasion they say no.. he either says .. "now think hard.." or "oh.. no.. that was for this person over here.."..lol. I have seen too many of his "screw ups")

PoisonIvy
January 8th, 2006, 07:16 AM
LOL! I totally agree with you. And by the way did you catch her on the news last night? I guess she really screwed up on live TV saying she "knew" that all of those trapped miners were alive, until she heard different, then she changed her story. Check it out:
http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/viewnews.php?id=58798

I was on lunch break listening to that show when she messed up! I laughed so hard about her trying to backtrack about what she'd said earlier. And Noory just kept playing it over and over again.:lol:
The mining accident was an aweful tragedy,I have miners in my family,but Sylvia screwing up on live radio was awesome! Coast to Coast A.M. with George Noory really is a great show though!

lednevir
January 8th, 2006, 02:40 PM
I agree with Kaleil because I read The Satanic Witch by Anton Levey and it tells how to do this.

She was wrong about the coal miners,wrong about Gore beating Bush and I'm certain she is wrong about the world ending in 76 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did enjoy her books and think she has an interesting philosophy just not perfect but who is.She should'nt be charging for predictions since she is wrong so often

Winter_wolf
January 8th, 2006, 04:59 PM
I think if she has any special abilities it's in reading people, telling them what they want to hear and making money.

Janus109
January 9th, 2006, 01:25 AM
What a major embarassment both Sylvia Browne and George Noory made on national radio! Miss Browne changing her story on national radio like that.
She gives real psychics a bad name. This is the kind of thing that gives the skeptics fuel for the fire. Don't get me wrong now..I believe in psychic ablities..I just don't think she has any. She got her hand caught in the cookie jar and should reap the results. Using her cold reading skills she could have easily side-stepped the issue reguarding the trapped miners.

How Montel Willams can have her on his show is beyond me.

KaidaMidnight
January 9th, 2006, 03:08 AM
Montel has her on his show for the entertainment purposes. Because people do pay money to see her, and some of it goes to charity that he supports. When I first saw her, I got a funny feeling. Mostly because what she was telling people was stuff I could be telling people. I agree with Anubis. Oh, and John Stuart gets away with it, cause he says.. " there is someone in this section..." well of course there is.. plus, people are questioned on why they came to the show BEFORE the show! gee.. that doesn't look fake now does it? LOL (my cousin went to his show.. that's how I know)

Anubis
January 9th, 2006, 09:50 AM
She could have saved herself a whole lot of embarassment by simply saying.. "Well.. unfortunately I am not right all the time.. and I will be praying for the miners and their families".. but she just couldn't do that! That's what gets me... She had to sidestep and backpedal and try to change her story .. which just made matters worse (especially since she KNEW they had it on tape)!
lol.. Sylvia.. ya should have seen it coming!

fiaran_flynn
January 9th, 2006, 03:04 PM
I think she has a gift, but it's not all that she makes it out to be. Maybe when she first started it was genuine, but over time she has sold out, selling false predictions, readings, or whatever just to make a buck. Greed can do that to people.

LadyWillowHawk
January 9th, 2006, 09:20 PM
I agree that she has a gift and that it was once pure, but since she had let notoriety, fame, greed, selfishness, and self servering ways engulf her entire being, it has been badly tainted. I don't agree that someone should use their gift to become famously wealthy, but I do agree someone can make a small amount of money to supplement their income, while helping others. There has to be a balance and if you tip the scales too much for self gain, I believe it will come back to you. Your karma will be waiting for you, good or bad.
BB
LadyWillowHawk

gurlygurl2004
February 27th, 2006, 03:19 AM
I always found her Montel appearances fascinating. But you never know about psychics on TV.

gurlygurl2004
February 27th, 2006, 03:23 AM
I agree with Kaleil because I read The Satanic Witch by Anton Levey and it tells how to do this.

She was wrong about the coal miners,wrong about Gore beating Bush and I'm certain she is wrong about the world ending in 76 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did enjoy her books and think she has an interesting philosophy just not perfect but who is.She should'nt be charging for predictions since she is wrong so often

I definitely don't believe in end of the world predictions. She also had a crazy prediction (I saw this on tv) that on the other side we are all 30. Not only is that crazy, but that prediction contradicts her idea of past lives and reincarnation. :yayah:

gurlygurl2004
February 27th, 2006, 03:25 AM
FOX News got hold of this little incident.

TV Psychic Misses Mark on Miners (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,180681,00.html)

BTW, did anyone catch the interview on Larry King Live a week or so ago with Browne, van Praagh, and another woman psychic? There were a couple of skeptics on the show, one was a rabbi and the other a professor from Oklahoma City University, who were challenging their authenticity. You know the old saying "Methinks thou dost protest too much?" Well, the psychics were really, really protesting. ;)

LOL, I saw that. I always had a feeling that you shouldn't believe tv psychics.

DoktorSick
February 27th, 2006, 05:31 AM
where was miss brown on sept 10
if she has some kind real power should have
been making some serious phone calls.

Little Billy
February 27th, 2006, 06:59 AM
Sylvia Browne is that famous psychic that comes on Montel every Wednesday (I think). I read several of her books and I did agree with a lot she said about the afterlife, dreams, spirits and death. Iíve been recording evpís for years and I know much of what she said is true. The only thing that bothers me is how she turns everything into business. She charges $1000 a person for simple lectures. On her website she doesnít give out any free information but just list all of her jewelry and other products. What do you think about Sylvia? Do you think she's a fake?

What a racket. :lol:

My hat is off to Ms Browne.

Little Billy
February 27th, 2006, 07:00 AM
where was miss brown on sept 10
if she has some kind real power should have
been making some serious phone calls.

Now, now...it is far more important that we know which celebrities are going to get knocked up.

Garnet
February 28th, 2006, 06:39 AM

Well, Gore got the popular vote so Sylvoa was sort of right. ( :lol: )

I've heard John Edward sort of say that people died in pain...He'll say something like, "He says to tell you he's not in pain anymore, that he's happy where he is now."
Once he was giving a woman a message from her mom, & John informed her that, according to Mom, the questioner's abusive ex-husband was not in the same nice place Mom had gone to, he was in 'the much hotter place'.

DoktorSick
March 2nd, 2006, 02:45 PM
Now, now...it is far more important that we know which celebrities are going to get knocked up.
hahahaha
oh yeah, and which marriage is not going to work out.

DoktorSick
March 2nd, 2006, 02:47 PM
i was just thinking if i ever see Ms Brown or some other famous psyhic in a airport or somewhere.I'll have to pimp smack them and say did you see that coming.

WokeUpDead
March 2nd, 2006, 07:53 PM
She has to be fake. There is some magician is offering $1,000,000 for anyone that prove to him they actually have paranormal powers like ESP or psychicness. He made an offer to Sylvia Brown to do it on Larry King Live and she still hasn't accepted it. That was 4 and a half years ago.

Lunacie
March 2nd, 2006, 08:51 PM
The Amazing Randi (James Randi) is an admitted skeptic so his money is safe. There is no proof in the world that would convince a skeptic, and Sylvia knows that. It's what she said to Larry King when he asked her about the challenge from James Randi. I've seen the criteria that must be met in order to claim the money, and it's ridiculous... impossible to meet that criteria.

...edited for typos as usual ...

KaidaMidnight
March 2nd, 2006, 11:28 PM
i was just thinking if i ever see Ms Brown or some other famous psyhic in a airport or somewhere.I'll have to pimp smack them and say did you see that coming.

:yayah: :rollingla

DoktorSick
March 4th, 2006, 03:20 PM
The Amazing Randi (James Randi) is an admitted skeptic so his money is safe. There is no proof in the world that would convince a skeptic, and Sylvia knows that. It's what she said to Larry King when he asked her about the challenge from James Randi. I've seen the criteria that must be met in order to claim the money, and it's ridiculous... impossible to meet that criteria.

...edited for typos as usual ...
It's not that there is no proof in the world that would convince a skeptic.
But if she is going to make claims she has these kind of powers then why not
put them to the test to show without a shadow of doubt.She can do
what she claims she can do. And she's not just messing with people emotions and playing games.
I don't understand what ms brown and john ewards and all those other psychics and medums are afraid of.If they can really do what they claim they can why not be tested.Use they know that they are nothing but scam artist..

Lunacie
March 4th, 2006, 06:51 PM
It's not that there is no proof in the world that would convince a skeptic.
But if she is going to make claims she has these kind of powers then why not
put them to the test to show without a shadow of doubt.She can do
what she claims she can do. And she's not just messing with people emotions and playing games.
I don't understand what ms brown and john ewards and all those other psychics and medums are afraid of.If they can really do what they claim they can why not be tested.Use they know that they are nothing but scam artist..

In this country we are assumed to be innocent unless we are proved to be guilty. If someone feels Sylvia is guilty of being a fake, it's up to that person to prove it. It's not up to Sylvial to prove that she's not guilty.

Perhaps Sylvia Browne and James VanPraagh and John Edward have been tested already, why must they spend their time accepting every challenge that is issued?

KaidaMidnight
March 5th, 2006, 12:27 PM
In this country we are assumed to be innocent unless we are proved to be guilty. If someone feels Sylvia is guilty of being a fake, it's up to that person to prove it. It's not up to Sylvial to prove that she's not guilty.

Perhaps Sylvia Browne and James VanPraagh and John Edward have been tested already, why must they spend their time accepting every challenge that is issued?

I don't know about James and John, but with Sylvia, it's not a matter of her being "fake" per say.. it's more the fact that she insists that she's right. Yes, I believe there are people with the ability. I also know that they are not always right, be it something changed they're predictions or whatever. BUT when a person claims to know things, and is wrong, but instead of addmitting it, goes and back tracts saying what she / he "ment to say was... " I think that's where the "fakeyness" (LOL.. I know, I dont think it's a word either :lol: ) comes in. It would be totally different if the person would just say.. "ya know.. things can happen that change the outcome, I'm not always 100% correct, but what is?". If that makes any sense? :)

Lunacie
March 5th, 2006, 12:36 PM
Yeah, I think Sylvia has become increasingly defensive over the years. When I first encountered her, she didn't seem to demand that people believe her. I don't think anyone can be right 100% of the time, there are just too many variables, too many ways for the messages to get mixed up, too easy to let personal interpretation confuse the answer.

John Edward ususally says "take the message with you and think about it, it may make sense in a few days; ask family members and friends, it may make sense to one of them" while Sylvia does tend to say "It makes sense to me, I don't know why you don't get it."

DoktorSick
March 5th, 2006, 03:02 PM

How else would you prove them if they are a fake or not then by testing them?
And by the way those guys are guilty alright,guilty of being fakes.
One interesting point in proving they are fakes that so far not one of those
psychic guys has ever been banned from vegas.You have never heard of
a psychic winning the lotto or making money in the stock market.
No they all are just so noble and just want to help people and charge outragiouis prices for there psychic advice.

Little Billy
March 5th, 2006, 03:10 PM
How else would you prove them if they are a fake or not then by testing them?
And by the way those guys are guilty alright,guilty of being fakes.
One interesting point in proving they are fakes that so far not one of those
psychic guys has ever been banned from vegas.You have never heard of
a psychic winning the lotto or making money in the stock market.
No they all are just so noble and just want to help people and charge outragiouis prices for there psychic advice.

If she's a fake, no problem. I can handle fake psychics. They actually perform a useful service.

A real medium, on the other hand, should be driven away instantly. Cassandra didn't get half the kicking around she deserved.

Just saying.

Lunacie
March 5th, 2006, 07:48 PM
Sylvia's been in the psychic business for a long, long time. How do you know she hasn't already taken and passed some special psychic test?

There are lots of people who don't have to pass test after test after test in order to prove they are qualified to perform their jobs well.

If you think they're fake, then don't give them any money and don't ask them for any answers. Duh.

DoktorSick
March 7th, 2006, 01:01 PM
Not sending them money is one way of dealing them but cast a shadow of doubt of there so called powers that never seem to be able to work on anything but vague personal issue is another.
But still i'm wondering where was the pre 911 and pre hurricane katrina
special warning montrel williams show featuring Sylvia Brown.
If she can dow what she claims she can do well i'm going to hold her
at her word and expect some results and not the con games of playing with
people's emotions.

Lunacie
March 7th, 2006, 04:34 PM
Actually I don't believe anyone can make perfectly accurate predictions, there are simply too many variables and things that can change too easily.

At any rate, a psychic or medium can only share the information they are able to pick up, whether they are getting it from angels, spirit guides, the divine presence, or from the person they are reading. If they don'tget the information, they can't share the information. I certainly wasn't given any information on the terrorist attacks on 9/11, were you?

DoktorSick
March 8th, 2006, 03:06 AM
I never claimed to be psychic so it's obvious i didn't get any.
So spirit guides are only give out vague hints?

"Actually I don't believe anyone can make perfectly accurate predictions, there are simply too many variables and things that can change too easily."

If this is the case then how come psychics don't use this as a disclaimer
before they start doing whatever it is they are suppose to being since they can't give accurate predictions.

Lunacie
March 8th, 2006, 09:40 AM
I can't answer your question. I don't make predictions myself.

I can't help but wonder why all this psychic/prediction business seems to bother you so much?

DoktorSick
March 8th, 2006, 04:01 PM
It doesn't bother me.
I like to ask question and I'm not welling
to accept half ass answers to extraordinary claims.
I want to know why that one minute a psychic say
hey this and this is going to happen but on another
situation everything suddenly becomes vague and uncertain.
If a person truly has psychic abibilties and thru a series of test
can be proven that they have some sort of ability.
Then maybe we use those powers to better to prepare and or
avoid life threating situation in the future.
And not have the nostradamus effect where as after the fact.

Lunacie
March 8th, 2006, 06:57 PM
Well, as I said it's not always clear what a psychic or medium is seeing and it's always open to interpretation which may vary from person to person. Our own government has used a group of psychics to do distance viewing to find places where prisoners of war were being held or where weapons have been stashed, even to see where war leaders have been hiding. No, it's not as accurate as using a satellite that takes photos, and that may be the reason the spy-psychic program was phased out, the satellite photo system has replaced it.

If the government believes strongly enough to use psychics for that kind of effort, then some kind of testing was surely done to prove the value of it.

DoktorSick
March 9th, 2006, 02:29 AM
Well, as I said it's not always clear what a psychic or medium is seeing and it's always open to interpretation which may vary from person to person. Our own government has used a group of psychics to do distance viewing to find places where prisoners of war were being held or where weapons have been stashed, even to see where war leaders have been hiding. No, it's not as accurate as using a satellite that takes photos, and that may be the reason the spy-psychic program was phased out, the satellite photo system has replaced it.

If the government believes strongly enough to use psychics for that kind of effort, then some kind of testing was surely done to prove the value of it.
They did test it and attempt to use it and then phased it out because it wasn't working.If it actually work and had some sort of promise it wouldn't have been phased out.It wayyyyyyyy cheapier to have few psychics in a room do there thing then it is to send up a million dollar spy satellite.
How can you say that it was used and then phased out and then say that's
proof that it has value?If had value it would still be used.
But that's nether here no there.That still doesn't prove that sylvie brown
has any sort of psychic power.

Little Billy
March 9th, 2006, 08:10 AM

The military canned remote viewing decades ago, because it didn't work.

Or so they tell us. *snort*

Lunacie
March 9th, 2006, 11:14 AM
Tom-toms and smoke signals were replaced with the telegraph and then the telephone. Morse Code was an effective form of communication. Why was it phased out? Because some new technology came along and replaced it. In this culture, science is considered to be better and more effective than non-science. In this culture most medical conditions are treated with prescription drugs rather than common sense changes to diet and exercise, much less alternative therapies. And if you can throw a lot of money at something, the government always thinks that means it's more valuable than something that is relatively inexpensive.

Geministar
March 9th, 2006, 06:27 PM
I would have to say that I do believe that Sylvia Browne is a real pyschic, and I truly enjoy reading her books and agree with much of what she writes, but its also bothered me the amount of money she charges and how she always seems to be advertising herself. I really wanted to see her myself, but a regular person such as myself could never afford to have a reading from her. She in my opinion that is- is a real pyschic, and unfortuanatly they are not always 100% correct so there will always be people remembering when she gave wrong advice but not seeing the thoasands of times she has replied accuratley. At the same time though, yes I have noticed the money that she charges and I think its outrageous, but that doesnt make her any less pyschic.

DoktorSick
March 10th, 2006, 12:54 PM
Tom-toms and smoke signals were replaced with the telegraph and then the telephone. Morse Code was an effective form of communication. Why was it phased out? Because some new technology came along and replaced it. In this culture, science is considered to be better and more effective than non-science. In this culture most medical conditions are treated with prescription drugs rather than common sense changes to diet and exercise, much less alternative therapies. And if you can throw a lot of money at something, the government always thinks that means it's more valuable than something that is relatively inexpensive.
What does the phasing out old technology and the validity of so called
alternative medicines vs tradionational medicine have to do with the
abilities of psychics?
What's the deal with all the excues and side tracking?
If person claims that they can predict the future and talk to dead people and
find out things.And then says they can says that people should believe them
and the information that they aquire from these methods can be trusted.
And then charge outragous price for this kind of information.And then all of sudden when you hold them to there world and expect them to be as straightforward with information then there's a problem.
Then come the excues of things being vague and up to interpertation.
I have checked out the websites of various psyhics well known and not so well known and lows amount i have seen that they charge for a reading is $100. I don't know about you but 100 bucks is alot of money to pay for some
vague interpetation.

DoktorSick
March 10th, 2006, 12:59 PM
I would have to say that I do believe that Sylvia Browne is a real pyschic, and I truly enjoy reading her books and agree with much of what she writes, but its also bothered me the amount of money she charges and how she always seems to be advertising herself. I really wanted to see her myself, but a regular person such as myself could never afford to have a reading from her. She in my opinion that is- is a real pyschic, and unfortuanatly they are not always 100% correct so there will always be people remembering when she gave wrong advice but not seeing the thoasands of times she has replied accuratley. At the same time though, yes I have noticed the money that she charges and I think its outrageous, but that doesnt make her any less pyschic.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_predictions_made_by_Sylvia_Browne#Predictions_for_the_year_2005
there's linke of some of Sylvia Browne's predictions you be the judge of how accurate she is.

Lunacie
March 10th, 2006, 03:13 PM
What does the phasing out old technology and the validity of so called alternative medicines vs tradionational medicine have to do with the abilities of psychics?

Um... you said earlier that the government phased out the use of psychics in their spy program because "it wasn't working." I was pointing out that often something is phased out because something newer and/or better comes along. If it wasn't working then they wouldn't have used that program as long as they did, eh?

It's also possible that the person who implemented the psychic spy program retired or died, and the person who replaced him or her felt the way you seem to feel about psychics, so they changed that part of the program.

What's the deal with all the excues and side tracking?
If person claims that they can predict the future and talk to dead people and
find out things.And then says they can says that people should believe them
and the information that they aquire from these methods can be trusted.
And then charge outragous price for this kind of information.And then all of sudden when you hold them to there world and expect them to be as straightforward with information then there's a problem.
Then come the excues of things being vague and up to interpertation.
I have checked out the websites of various psyhics well known and not so well known and lows amount i have seen that they charge for a reading is $100. I don't know about you but 100 bucks is alot of money to pay for some
vague interpetation.

I too think $100 for a reading is quite a bit, however, if a reading lasts for up to an hour (or more) then I don't think that's any more outrageous than paying $65 to talk to a doctor for less than 15 minutes.

I'm not a medium who talks to dead people so I don't know how often those messages are right or wrong. Just because someone has crossed over (died) doesn't mean they have all the answers. I know my ex who died a couple of years ago still has a LOT to learn. ;)

As a psychic - tarot and rune reader - I tell people that nothing is written in stone. What I'm telling them is the most likely outcome of the situation - if nothing changes; and that they always have the power to change the outcome if they want to do that.

Have you ever had a psychic reading or asked a medium to give you messages from someone on the other side?

DoktorSick
March 11th, 2006, 03:33 AM
All I keep hearing is excues.One minute a psychic can accurately predict
things that will happen in the future,Then it changes will the messages is vague and might happen that way.Seems it change from giving psyhic predictions to just simply friendly advise about things they should change in there life.
I totally agree that doctor office visit are overpriced as to what they actually do.This not about doctors it's about psyhics.
Yeah I had a reading before well I've a couple.My sister give me a gift certificate to a place and One happen back in the day when I was going with this girl and we to this church to had this prophet lady that said I had demons around me.
The demon thing some people say there something to it depending what ones belief system is but the psyhic reading was way off and failed to mention some way out stuff that was to come.And the psychic come making comments about things that could be easily pointed out by my appearance.
As was checking out the various psychic web sites and the amount they where charging It would seem there is alot of cash to made.
Sylviva charges $700 just to do a reading over the phone.
Damn,phone sex lines don't charge that much.
I am begining to believe that i have some awakening psychic powers
that need to cash in on.

Rhisiart
March 11th, 2006, 05:15 AM
I hear ya Doktor!! Im a big hater of Sylvia Brown, that charlatan fraud. I posted back in this thread so I wont rehash that part, just to say it makes me sick to see that Jabba the Hut fraud lay back on Montel throwin out 'predictions' with an air of ho-humness and almost mild irritation and annoyance.

As for remore viewing, I saw a couple of shows about it and they made it sound like they were semi-successful with it. So why was it disbanded. The whole argument about technology is absurd. Satellites cannot see into caves, underground bunkers, into deep water...etc. A 'remote viewer could! but they couldnt! The government already wastes enough money on analysts whose sole job is to make educated guesses and deducements about stuff, and look how right THEY are!

The best thing a psychic could do is take the Amazing Randi's challenge and WIN!! Just think of the business they would have! Theyd have more money than friggin Bill Gates!!...BUT ITS NOT ABOUT THE MONEY, YOU SAY..., then why the HELL are they charging HUNDREDS of dollars for a reading that MAY BE THE "MOST LIKELY OUTCOME OF A SITUATION"...no offence Lunacie!:hahugh: If I'm paying someone several hundred dollars, or even $30, I dont want an educated GUESS about it, I want flippin correct answers. I didnt pay my mechanic $700.00 to tell me that my steering was likely messed and to go ahead and do the work! I dont pay my Doctor $3000.00 to look at my heart and tell me that its likely the palpatations are nothing but stress related! I WANNA F'N KNOW!! He better be right too...thats why I havent paid him yet! lol I dont want to pay the plumber $400.00 to tell me that its likely a leak under the house thats causing me an extra 100 in water bills a month...I WANNA KNOW FOR SURE!!!

Get what Im sayin. Why should I pay anyone $50.00 to read my future just to tell me the likely outcome of a situation? I can do that sh...stuff for free myself without the use of 'psychic abilities'! Its called guessing and guessing should be FREE!!

I think psychics and tarot/rune readers should do this. Get 100 people and do a free reading on them, having them grade you on your answers for correctness. Then use that percentage in your advertising!
"IM SILVERRAVEN MOONGLITTER and IM 65% RIGHT!!"
"IM GOLDENSUN BEARHAWK and IM 85% CORRECT!"
"IM DINOSAURTACO DUCKBUTTER and IM 15% CORRECT, but remember this is for entertainment value only and is only a likely outcome of a situation..."

Either you CAN or you CANT. If you can, then SAVE THE FRIGGIN WORLD WILL YA!! If ya cant, quite fleecin the gullible and retarded sheep of the world.

And Sorry, Im VERY opinionated about this...I cant stand telemarketers...

Lunacie
March 11th, 2006, 10:48 AM
Which of those percentages would be good enough to convince a skeptic to part with a million dollars?

*sighs softly*
*turns and walks out of the thread*

ValD
March 11th, 2006, 12:21 PM
So could you give us a few examples of any of her "thousands" of accurate readings? Half a dozen would suffice.

ValD
March 11th, 2006, 12:24 PM
Which of those percentages would be good enough to convince a skeptic to part with a million dollars?

*sighs softly*
*turns and walks out of the thread*
Take a look at the Million-Dollar Challenge rules. They're all laid out here (http://www.randi.org/research/index.html).

At JREF, we offer a one-million-dollar prize to anyone who can show, under proper observing conditions, evidence of any paranormal, supernatural, or occult power or event. The JREF does not involve itself in the testing procedure, other than helping to design the protocol and approving the conditions under which a test will take place. All tests are designed with the participation and approval of the applicant. In most cases, the applicant will be asked to perform a relatively simple preliminary test of the claim, which if successful, will be followed by the formal test. Preliminary tests are usually conducted by associates of the JREF at the site where the applicant lives. Upon success in the preliminary testing process, the "applicant" becomes a "claimant."
(My bolding)

DoktorSick
March 11th, 2006, 02:09 PM
Take a look at the Million-Dollar Challenge rules. They're all laid out here (http://www.randi.org/research/index.html).

(My bolding)
Here's a couple of Sylvia Brown's predictions for 2000.

"There is going to be a shake-up at American Airlines during January and February. American will also merge with Alaska Airlines."

"Air travel reaches an all-time high, but because of overbookings and poor service, the airlines will need to revamp their scheduling practices. "

"An airline high-jacking is thwarted out of Florida in August"

How could say these things would happen dealing with airplanes and
not even come close to september 11 2001.
This not even vague it's totally off.
How come montel then do a show asking her way she made these bogus
predictions and not say one word about 9/11.
I'd like to see her fast talk her way out that.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_predictions_made_by_Sylvia_Browne#Predictions_for_the_year_2005
There more of her predictions.
I just can't over the fact she charges $700 to do a reading over the phone.
damn.
Sylvia said on live tv that should would be tested by Randi.It was on larry King live and she has yet to return any of Randi's phone calls to setup a time
and a place to be tested.
What gets me is you can see right in thread how psychic powers changed from being able to predict the future to give some vague interpertation of what may or may not occur.

DoktorSick
March 11th, 2006, 02:22 PM
I agree with many of you, a psychic doesn't always get it right, it's not all cut and dry (speaking from experience), however, I do think that gift can be jaded by what is done with it.
If they don't always get it right,They should get right more so then if one
would make a guess.What's the point it going to a so called psyhic if you could the same or better results if you just sat around talked to some friends about a particular issue.

Janus109
March 11th, 2006, 07:47 PM
The big problem I have with the James Randi "challenge" is that if one were to prove some form of paranormal powers..I doubt that he would give up the money. HE decides who gets the million dollars and who doesn't. JREF is James Randi..and if you prove some sort of paranormal ability..if Randi thinks your a crackpot..you don't get any money. All he's gotta do is call you a "magician" or "sleight of hand artist" or a "cold reader" then you get no money.

Sure, you could sue him for it..but you'll probably be just spinning your wheels in years of litigation.

Randi doesn't believe in the paranormal and there's no way he's going to fork over a million bucks because you can bend 20 spoons with your mind. He'll come up with a reason not to pay you.

Rick :lookwhats

DoktorSick
March 11th, 2006, 09:16 PM
The big problem I have with the James Randi "challenge" is that if one were to prove some form of paranormal powers..I doubt that he would give up the money. HE decides who gets the million dollars and who doesn't. JREF is James Randi..and if you prove some sort of paranormal ability..if Randi thinks your a crackpot..you don't get any money. All he's gotta do is call you a "magician" or "sleight of hand artist" or a "cold reader" then you get no money.

Sure, you could sue him for it..but you'll probably be just spinning your wheels in years of litigation.

Randi doesn't believe in the paranormal and there's no way he's going to fork over a million bucks because you can bend 20 spoons with your mind. He'll come up with a reason not to pay you.

It's not what Randi's says or if some claims they have proof of there so called psychic abilities.It's if they past the test set up him and his team.
It's not what Randi believes or what a person claims it's what happen in
a controlled test under supervision.
THe doubt comes in because of the fact the so called psychic powers can be faked.There is sleight of hand and cold reading tricks to appear to have some sort of psychic abilities.So if a person is going to say hey i can do this
and that when they are put under the spotlight they should be at least do
what they claim they can do and not give excuses.

Lunacie
March 12th, 2006, 01:05 AM

I agree that Randi's money is safe in his bank account, it's not going anywhere. I read an article about him in Reader's Digest (I think it was) several years back and he doesn't want to be convinced so the odds are that he never will be convinced. I was working with someone last year on setting up a test to collect on the million dollars (yes, even though I thought it was a waste of time - that's what friends do). I thought I knew what to expect with the legal form and working out how to do the test, but it was ridiculous and I don't believe anyone could meet the burden of proof that Randi has set up.

I don't know why Sylvia agreed to set up a test with Randi's people unless it was to get someone to shut up about it. She doesn't need the money or the aggravation.

Doktor Sick, you didn't answer my question... what percentage of correct predictions would it take to convince you that she (or anybody) has psychic ability? Is 50% enough? Does it have to be higher than that?

Little Billy
March 12th, 2006, 01:13 AM

A REAL psychic would take over his brain and MAKE him sign the check.

Just saying.

Lunacie
March 12th, 2006, 01:16 AM

Just saying.

A real psychic COULD take over his brain and make him sign the check, but would have better ethics than that.

Just saying.

;)

Little Billy
March 12th, 2006, 01:20 AM
A real psychic COULD take over his brain and make him sign the check, but would have better ethics than that.

Just saying.

;)

Says who?

If I was psychic, I'd be running this dump we call a nation. And you'd LIKE it.

Who the hell ever said that having psychic powers magically means you have ethics?

After all, Sylvia Brown hasn't refunded any $400 fees after her predictions have turned out to be crap.

DoktorSick
March 12th, 2006, 01:27 AM

Just saying.
hahahaha
give that man a cigar.
Now that you mention it.How come there
aren't any psychic arch villians going around
and using there powers to add the forces of evil.
And where are the Super Psychic Friends to battle
the evil arch villian psychics?

Teresa
March 12th, 2006, 01:29 AM
It is not the gift but what you do with it that matters in my book. Personally , I am not a fan. Psychics do make mistakes in interpretations so accuracy will not always be on point. A psychic's emotions, physical condition and mental condition play major roles in accuracy.

Little Billy
March 12th, 2006, 01:52 AM
hahahaha
give that man a cigar.
Now that you mention it.How come there
aren't any psychic arch villians going around
and using there powers to add the forces of evil.
And where are the Super Psychic Friends to battle
the evil arch villian psychics?

1. Who says there aren't?

2. Because the dark side pays better.

LB,
Notices that Superman never got PAID for saving the world.

Janus109
March 12th, 2006, 02:38 AM
Hmmmm?! Maybe I am not alone here..

Even Ray Hyman a leading Fellow at CSICOP thinks the Randi/JREF "challenge" is rigged..

http://www.rense.com/general69/randi.htm

Rick :spaceman:

Sea-Witch
March 12th, 2006, 09:09 AM

Even Ray Hyman a leading Fellow at CSICOP thinks the Randi/JREF "challenge" is rigged..

CSICOP ... not a good idea to have Scientific Investigation in the title of your organisation when you don't actually do scientific investigations.

http://www.alternativescience.com/csicop.htm

Sea-Witch
March 12th, 2006, 09:13 AM
Alternative Science also has an article on the Million Dollar Challenge.

http://www.alternativescience.com/james-randi.htm

Lunacie
March 12th, 2006, 10:59 AM
Alternative Science also has an article on the Million Dollar Challenge.

http://www.alternativescience.com/james-randi.htm

The real facts are that Randi is doing exactly what he has accused some scientists of: he has conducted no properly designed experiments, has published no empirical results (reproducible or otherwise) and has not submitted himself to any peer-review process. Yet he expects us to accept his conclusions as having some scientific significance and meriting attention.

I could not agree with the author more on this. As I said before, it's impossible to convince a skeptic, they will always attribute the paranormal event to something else and demand proof while refusing themselves to prove that any of their reasons could be true.

ValD
March 12th, 2006, 12:08 PM

That quote from Hyman was taken out of context. here is the full quote:
In any case, even if someone were to win the Randi prize, it would be scientifically irrelevant, as Randi's fellow skeptic Ray Hyman has pointed out: "Scientists don't settle issues with a single test, so even if someone does win a big cash prize in a demonstration, this isn't going to convince anyone. Proof in science happens through replication, not through single experiments.
Randi understands this, and he is careful to say this, but it gets lost in the PR effort. But many in the scientific community worship Randi because they wish they could be him. The wish they didn't have the constraints of academia. He's out there in the trenches, on the front line, and they envy him for that."
http://www.ufoevidence.org/documents/doc1225.htm
Hyman clearly doesn't think the Challenge is "rigged".
And the Rense article is completely wrong on this point:
If Randi's challenge was legitimate, he would set up a double-blind experiment which he himself wouldn't judge.. Take a look at the challenge rules that I posted earlier. Randi has nothing to do with the testing, and the applicant can set up their own test protocol.

As Hyman points out, proof happens through replication. So where are the repeated succesful results from psychics?

Little Billy
March 12th, 2006, 01:49 PM
I could not agree with the author more on this. As I said before, it's impossible to convince a skeptic, they will always attribute the paranormal event to something else and demand proof while refusing themselves to prove that any of their reasons could be true.

So, your proof is that you won't present any proof?

DoktorSick
March 12th, 2006, 03:13 PM
I agree that Randi's money is safe in his bank account, it's not going anywhere. I read an article about him in Reader's Digest (I think it was) several years back and he doesn't want to be convinced so the odds are that he never will be convinced. I was working with someone last year on setting up a test to collect on the million dollars (yes, even though I thought it was a waste of time - that's what friends do). I thought I knew what to expect with the legal form and working out how to do the test, but it was ridiculous and I don't believe anyone could meet the burden of proof that Randi has set up.

I don't know why Sylvia agreed to set up a test with Randi's people unless it was to get someone to shut up about it. She doesn't need the money or the aggravation.

Doktor Sick, you didn't answer my question... what percentage of correct predictions would it take to convince you that she (or anybody) has psychic ability? Is 50% enough? Does it have to be higher than that?

Since i have yet to see,hear or read about a psychic that says they are less then 100% correct.I will be nice accept at least a 90% accurancy rate.
And it's that's to high I'm willing to at least accept that there is something
to acknowledge if they are predictions are better then Random chance and or someone guessing.And no excuses when they are wrong.
I won't accept and back tracking or vague open to interpretation type of predictions.If I wanted to interpret something I'd ask a wino have he had a few.

Little Billy
March 12th, 2006, 04:21 PM
I agree that Randi's money is safe in his bank account, it's not going anywhere. I read an article about him in Reader's Digest (I think it was) several years back and he doesn't want to be convinced so the odds are that he never will be convinced.

On the other hand, the Reader's Digest is well known for it's wacky beliefs (millionaires get that way through hard work, the President is an honorable man, America has never fought an unjust war, etc).

Lunacie
March 12th, 2006, 08:34 PM
I'm a psychic and from the feedback I've gotten from the tarot and rune readings I've done in the last... oh say five years I've had at least an 80% accuracy rate. Like I said, I don't do predictions though.

DoktorSick
March 12th, 2006, 11:57 PM
I'm a psychic and from the feedback I've gotten from the tarot and rune readings I've done in the last... oh say five years I've had at least an 80% accuracy rate. Like I said, I don't do predictions though.
Well according to what you call psychic give vague interpertations.
Just about anyone could be considered psychic.

Little Billy
March 13th, 2006, 12:36 AM

Then what's the point?

Lunacie
March 13th, 2006, 11:00 AM
I should not have tried to write anything last night as I was sick. What I meant was that I don't do predictions such as there will be an earthquake on this date or a plane crash on that date or a volcano is going to erupt. I'm able to think a bit more clearly this morning and I would say that I do make predictions in the sense that when I'm doing a reading I will say "This is the most likely outcome in that situation given the way things are going now, however... you can change that outcome if you don't like my prediction."

DoktorSick
March 13th, 2006, 03:15 PM
I should not have tried to write anything last night as I was sick. What I meant was that I don't do predictions such as there will be an earthquake on this date or a plane crash on that date or a volcano is going to erupt. I'm able to think a bit more clearly this morning and I would say that I do make predictions in the sense that when I'm doing a reading I will say "This is the most likely outcome in that situation given the way things are going now, however... you can change that outcome if you don't like my prediction."
And please explain to me how that is psychic?
That sounds more like counceling then the use of psychic powers.
How is that different from listening to a person problems and then telling
what they should do if they want to change things.

Lunacie
March 13th, 2006, 04:53 PM
Anything you do that is different from what you've been doing is going to change the way your life bumps along.

Did you think a psychic was someone who only made predictions? I believe a psychic is able to connect with the energies of the person they are reading (occasionally the connection cannot be made or they cross-connect with someone else) and are able to tell them things about themself that they may not be aware of, or that they simply want to have confirmed.

A medium connects with the energies of people who have crossed over (died) and can share information that the spirit gives them. That information more often comes through in pictures or feelings than in words, and as I understand it the spirits share what they think the living need to know, not what we want them to tell us.

I think a good psychic is also a good counselor. I never tell people what they should do, but I point out where they may be blocking their own energies, or making bad choices, or warn them that someone else may be causing them harm. If they ask which of two choices would be best I will tell them which appears to be the best choice and why, or I point out the benefits and the problems that either choice could bring to the situation.

Moonshine
March 14th, 2006, 01:22 AM
Anything you do that is different from what you've been doing is going to change the way your life bumps along.

Did you think a psychic was someone who only made predictions? I believe a psychic is able to connect with the energies of the person they are reading (occasionally the connection cannot be made or they cross-connect with someone else) and are able to tell them things about themself that they may not be aware of, or that they simply want to have confirmed.

A medium connects with the energies of people who have crossed over (died) and can share information that the spirit gives them. That information more often comes through in pictures or feelings than in words, and as I understand it the spirits share what they think the living need to know, not what we want them to tell us.

I think a good psychic is also a good counselor. I never tell people what they should do, but I point out where they may be blocking their own energies, or making bad choices, or warn them that someone else may be causing them harm. If they ask which of two choices would be best I will tell them which appears to be the best choice and why, or I point out the benefits and the problems that either choice could bring to the situation.

I agree with Lunacie.. a good psychic has to be a good counsellor and in my opinion, predictions are just one aspect of psychic work... I also believe that information cannot be just made known to us at the snap of a finger... some things we are meant to know, others not, some information we can interpret correctly, other not.

DoktorSick
March 15th, 2006, 02:36 AM
"I also believe that information cannot be just made known to us at the snap of a finger... some things we are meant to know, others not, some information we can interpret correctly, other not."

"but I point out where they may be blocking their own energies, or making bad choices"

"If they ask which of two choices would be best I will tell them which appears to be the best choice and why, or I point out the benefits and the problems that either choice could bring to the situation."

Seems to me that what you are doing is more on the lines of unlicences psychiatry.Or at the less just giving friendly advice.
You through in the parts about connecting with energy for mystic type of flavor.You can believe what you want to believe how is this psychic?
What exactly are you doing that is beyond what any other "normal" person
could if they just sat down and talk to a person for a while.

"some things we are meant to know, others not, some information we can interpret correctly, other not."
I have to give it to you for this was this is pretty clever.But if one was to accept this It would mean that a so called psychic could say just about anything. And not go wrong because one could oh in time it would be revealed.You don't have to be psychic to know that somethings work for the better and others don't work the way you want them to.

Lunacie
March 15th, 2006, 10:26 AM
I don't have to convince you that psychics can actually connect with another person's energy and see more deeply than our other five senses allow us to.

I think that psychiatrists train the usual five senses in order to help the people who come to them. They are supposed to ask questions that get the clients to think for themselves rather than telling them what they should or shouldn't do.

I don't think you understand either psychiatry or psychicism very well.

Moonshine
March 16th, 2006, 12:34 AM
Seems to me that what you are doing is more on the lines of unlicences psychiatry.Or at the less just giving friendly advice.
You through in the parts about connecting with energy for mystic type of flavor.You can believe what you want to believe how is this psychic?
What exactly are you doing that is beyond what any other "normal" person
could if they just sat down and talk to a person for a while.

"some things we are meant to know, others not, some information we can interpret correctly, other not."
I have to give it to you for this was this is pretty clever.But if one was to accept this It would mean that a so called psychic could say just about anything. And not go wrong because one could oh in time it would be revealed.You don't have to be psychic to know that somethings work for the better and others don't work the way you want them to.

If this is what you believe, then why have you written to me a PM asking for a free psychic reading? ;) I don't have to be a psychic to figure that whatever I reading I give you, you will dismiss it. I have no problems with what you know/believe and what you don't about psychism, psychiatry or anything for that matter. It does not bother me. To each his own:lol:

DoktorSick
March 16th, 2006, 04:46 AM
I asked for reading because I'm curious to see what you would say.
Unlike most people I am able to put my personal beliefs aside and approach
things with a clean slate.
But I see you would rather assume that since i dare to question so called
"psychic powers" that i would hold an automatic bias against.
I guess you couldn't sense that.
I am slighty bothered people by people who makes claims and then when questioned cop with wishy washy answers.
If james randi did a test and it showed that there was some evidence of psychic powers I would email him just about everyday and rag his foundation into the ground every chance I got if he didn't pay up.

"I don't have to convince you that psychics can actually connect with another person's energy and see more deeply than our other five senses allow us to."

I never said you had to convince me of that I said this from the begining if
a psychic is going to say hey

1.I can talk to dead people and get info.
2.make predictions
3.do a "reading" on a person

If they say they can do these things with some sort of abilitity beyond the
normal 5 senses and then claim to do this with a degree of accurancy beyond
that of someone guessing or doing a " cold reading" and or fishing for info.
Then excuse me for asking questions.And buying answers like"some things we are meant to know, others not, some information we can interpret correctly, other not."
I mean come on this sounds more like covering your butt from legal action.
Then being a psychic.hell that sounds like something a politican would say
when being questioned about weapons of mass destruction not being found in Iraq.
So it's still if either of you moonshine or lunacie wamt to give me a reading.
You know I will keep it saved and see how it goes.
So any takers?

Lunacie
March 16th, 2006, 10:32 AM
I get $20 to do a reading at a psychic faire, if you PM me I'll let you know where to send the money (money order is fine or you can pay through my daughter's paypal).

DoktorSick
March 16th, 2006, 02:29 PM
20 bucks i might as well got to the toy and buy a magic 8 ball.

Lunacie
March 16th, 2006, 04:03 PM
With your perspective you'd get as much from the Magic 8-ball as you'd get from a licensed psychic.

Didn't know we have to have a license to do readings? Maybe not everywhere, but in a lot of places you do. Also, when we sign up for a new psychic faire we have to do a "test reading" for the folks who are running that faire so they can be assured that we're not trying to con people and fleece them out of their money.

Yes, there are frauds and charlatans in the psychic business, just as there are unethical people in practically every line of work. But it's kinda dumb to assume that all psychics are frauds and chartalans.

Lunacie
March 16th, 2006, 07:53 PM
http://www.scifi.com/thegift/

The Gift
Premieres Summer 2006

Have you ever thought of someone moments before the phone rang, only to hear their voice on the other line? Have you ever had a premonition that something would happen, and then it did? Have you ever experienced dŤjŠ vu? Some people believe that the intuition we all have is a basic level of psychic ability inherent in all people and that these skills can be further developed through proper training. Executive produced by Tony Krantz (24) and Victoria Holt, The Gift ó a unique six-episode, one-hour weekly reality series ó will delve into the world of psychic phenomena in a way never seen before.

After testing the baseline psychic abilities of people throughout the country, eight contestants will be selected to participate in an emotionally intense "boot camp for intuitives." Run by the world's greatest psychics, our finalists will compete against each other in a series of gripping challenges devised to test their growing abilities. One by one, they will be eliminated to reveal a final, metaphysically gifted winner. But then again, they already know who's going to win! Ö Or do they?

Janus109
March 16th, 2006, 07:57 PM
Just for the record I have been doing readings for many years now and I would like to chime in here on a couple of things. I feel ethically that the job of the reader is to provide information which might empower the client and offer them some choices in which helps them make better choices with the decisions THEY make.

I think that a certain line is crossed when the reader starts telling the client what to do. The impressions that I give the client come from my interpretation of the various divination systems that I use ( see profile ). If I give those impressions as suggestions to my client..then I am not making decisions for them. There is a big difference in making suggestions to someone rather then telling them what your divination method says is going to happen in there life..do you follow?

I don't see anything deceitful about giving your impressions on what a "symbol" or "archtype" might represent. It's just one's impressions.

If someone comes to me wanting a reading they already have a paranormal belief in " psychic powers " or some type of metaphyscial belief system or they wouldn't be seeing me in the first place. If someone wants to believe in "psychic powers" or any other paranormal beliefs..why should I try to change their feelings or beliefs about the matter? Karmically, I am not responable for their belief system.

Reading in these posts about "psychics" practising psychiaty I guess is one's point of view. If telling a client to trust one's feelings is practising psychotheraphy..then I guess I am guilty of practising psychotheraphy. If telling a client an impression that I get off a tarot card is practising psychotheraphy..then so be it.

Please don't insult us by telling us to take the bogus Randi challenge or comparing us to a "figure 8 ball".

Janus109
March 16th, 2006, 08:08 PM
Lunacie,

I have good word from people in " the know" that the show The Gift is going to be a debunking program in which all the "psychics" will be slammed as being frauds or having not "proved" paranormal ablities by the show's "consultant's".

Rick

Lunacie
March 16th, 2006, 08:17 PM
Lunacie,

I have good word from people in " the know" that the show The Gift is going to be a debunking program in which all the "psychics" will be slammed as being frauds or having not "proved" paranormal ablities by the show's "consultant's".

Rick

That's too bad. It would be interesting to see an honest attempt to prove OR disprove "the gift".

DoktorSick
March 17th, 2006, 03:25 AM
"Please don't insult us by telling us to take the bogus Randi challenge"
Why is Randi's Challenge bogus?Because the million dollars is attached to it?Have Read the app for challange?

"test reading" for the folks who are running that faire so they can be assured that we're not trying to con people and fleece them out of their money."
"licensed psychic"

So what standard do they use to say hey you are real psychic and where do you get psyhic's licensed"
What are the test you take to get that.

It seems to me if one is a skeptic and doesn't accept the wishy washy answers of "things are vague and up to interpretation and so on and so forth.
There seems to be a problem.
And before this goes any further this is not about one belief vs another belief. This is about psychic powers.Whatever religion that incorporates that
is your own business.
If you claim you can make predictions,make "suggestions" as to what choices
a person should take in there life.And you achieve this by ways other then your 5 senses.
Well then someone should be able to compare what say would happen and to actually happens to see if you there some degree of accurancy and what you predicted.
It is as simple is that no explaination is necessary.

wooleybob
March 17th, 2006, 10:35 AM
Our search team contacted her and she wouldnt even take on the case for a missing man we are still looking for.!!! http://billrossey.com/ We even was gonna pay her to do it..

Lunacie
March 17th, 2006, 04:28 PM
So what standard do they use to say hey you are real psychic and where do you get psyhic's licensed"
What are the test you take to get that.

It seems to me if one is a skeptic and doesn't accept the wishy washy answers of "things are vague and up to interpretation and so on and so forth.
There seems to be a problem.
And before this goes any further this is not about one belief vs another belief. This is about psychic powers.Whatever religion that incorporates that
is your own business.
If you claim you can make predictions,make "suggestions" as to what choices
a person should take in there life.And you achieve this by ways other then your 5 senses.
Well then someone should be able to compare what say would happen and to actually happens to see if you there some degree of accurancy and what you predicted.
It is as simple is that no explaination is necessary.

The only standard I've had to meet to do psychic readings using tarot or runes was to do a reading for the folks who were running the fair. Apparently they agreed that I was accurate in what I was telling them.

I have already agreed that if someone makes predictions they should do so with a higher degree of accuracy than someone would have in simply guessing. And I've also said that I don't actually make such predictions. Telling the client what the most likely outcome of a given situation would be - unless something happens to change that outcome - is not hedging one's bets or being wishy-washy. It's giving them the knowledge to make their own choices.

Janus109
March 17th, 2006, 07:09 PM
DocktorSick,

Like I said in a previous post the reason I think the Randi Challenge is unfair is because Randi is the final authority on who gets paid and who doesn't. Not science but, Randi is the final authority.

Also you say that I am making "claims" by making predictions. Where in my previous post did I say that I make predictions? Seems like you are putting words in my mouth.

By the way, I am not trying to discourage psychics and others from taking the Randi challenge. I would just say to someone who is interested in that sort of thing that you better get the terms of the test clear and in writing because it seems Randi likes to play games with words.

Little Billy
March 17th, 2006, 07:55 PM
Why isn't Sylvia Brown rich? Can't she see the stock market trends?

Lunacie
March 17th, 2006, 08:37 PM

Too many different energies coming from too many different directions to ever predict the stock market. Not like a horse race, eh?

Little Billy
March 17th, 2006, 10:54 PM
Too many different energies coming from too many different directions to ever predict the stock market. Not like a horse race, eh?

Ahhhh...so, what is the upper limit? The "bandwidth"?

Hell, why doesn't she clean up betting on the Superbowl?

Lunacie
March 17th, 2006, 11:22 PM
Okay, I'm not trying to answer for Sylvia Browne, and I'm not even sure how serious your question was, but... maybe getting rich in the stock market or cleaning up with a bet on the superbowl isn't as important to her as helping people by giving them readings/information. She certainly seems to be getting rich and cleaning up with the prices she charges for doing that.
:T

Unless she's giving the money to charity or funding scholarships or something like that.

Little Billy
March 17th, 2006, 11:24 PM
Okay, I'm not trying to answer for Sylvia Browne, and I'm not even sure how serious your question was, but... maybe getting rich in the stock market or cleaning up with a bet on the superbowl isn't as important to her as helping people by giving them readings/information. She certainly seems to be getting rich and cleaning up with the prices she charges for doing that.
:T

Unless she's giving the money to charity or funding scholarships or something like that.

Um...then if she's in it to help people, why does she charge $400 a pop?

Lunacie
March 17th, 2006, 11:27 PM
Maybe she wants to help people - and - get rich?

DoktorSick
March 18th, 2006, 04:08 AM
Um...then if she's in it to help people, why does she charge $400 a pop?
not $400 it's $700 for a phone call and $750 to meet with her in person.

Rhisiart
March 18th, 2006, 04:14 AM

Sylvia Brown isnt rich? What? Is she giving all her money away? Well she neednt worry cuz when she moves on she too has her own mansion in the afterlife....sweet!

Tesra
March 18th, 2006, 04:35 AM
Oh Rhisiart, you know you are in love with the ol' lady and she visits you in your dreams!! Ha! lol:T _pounce_

Rhisiart
March 18th, 2006, 04:41 AM
No Darlin, what I said was, if Sylvia Brown was a real psychic, she could come to me in my sleep and blow me...:abanana:

Tesra
March 18th, 2006, 04:45 AM
LOL well hun, YOU are on the couch then tonight!!!!
I don't want to witness her visting and activities goin' on while I'm in the room!! YUCK! NASTY. OH, and remember, charge her and arm and a leg, not the other way around!!! :)

DoktorSick
March 18th, 2006, 02:54 PM
No Darlin, what I said was, if Sylvia Brown was a real psychic, she could come to me in my sleep and blow me...:abanana:
hahahahaha

wooleybob
March 18th, 2006, 09:07 PM
lmao

DoktorSick
March 19th, 2006, 04:08 PM
All this talk about psychics and all the cash flow they bring.
I'm going to look in to getting a slice of that psychic pie.
Hopefully i can stand under the radar and randi doesn't
come looking for me.

Agaliha
May 20th, 2006, 08:02 PM
I don't think she is a complete fake, but I don't believe everything she says.
I believe in spirit and animal guides, past lives, psychic abilities, and the spirit world, but I don't readily believe all her revelations, perdictions and teachings.
Is "Mother God" named Azna? I don't know. If she is, she's never told me.
(thread I made asking about Azna: "Azna"-- your thoughts (http://www.mysticwicks.com/showthread.php?t=129345) )
I think she has some abilities, but her ideas aren't for everyone.
I'd be curious to get a reading from her, but I'm not paying all that $.

Autumn Clair
May 25th, 2006, 01:52 PM
I was just reading through here and all of you just summed up why I prefer to call myself a seer. I don't ask questions, I don't charge money. I believe if you have a gift you have it for a reason not to make money off it but to help others.

I give free dream interpretations to anyone who asks. If I don't receive a message I just come right out and say "I'm not getting anything" usually as I read the dream the message comes clear as the dream unfolds as I'm reading it.

Other then that it's my own personal dreams I get the messages from. I don't say if you know someone with a name that begins with a K or any of that. If they were with the ability they wouldn't have to ask!

Garnet
May 25th, 2006, 03:07 PM
Sylvia's coming to Milwaukee. The tickets cost $59 to $199 each.
Uh......no, thanks.

DoktorSick
May 27th, 2006, 01:48 AM
Sylvia's coming to Milwaukee. The tickets cost $59 to $199 each.
Uh......no, thanks.
Damn!!!!
And i bet you don't even get a free t-shirt.