PDA

View Full Version : A Cat For My Grandpa

Catiana
January 16th, 2006, 11:41 PM
Today my aunt and I bought a cat for my 87 year old grandpa. My grandma died 4 years ago and he is really lonely. She's 8 years old. She white and ginger colored. We got her from a rescue shelter. I dropped her off with my grandpa tonight. He liked her but was having a hard time understanding that she's going to hide for a few days before he can have her on his lap and such. If she doesn't work out for him, or he has problems taking care of her, I'm going to take her. She's really sweet, she sat in my lap and purred in the car the whole way to his house.

HetHert
January 17th, 2006, 02:54 PM
That is sooooo sweet. Have you suggested that he try coaxing her with treats or tuna. I find food is the quickest way to a cats heart. :hahugh: There is nothing wrong with bribing a cat for love...:nyah:

Catiana
January 17th, 2006, 04:33 PM
Unfortuantely, my grandpa just called and the cat got out and he can't find it. He hasn't even had it 24 hours. My aunts going down there to try to find it. The kitty has a collar and a microchip so hopefully we'll find it. Any kitty finding energy would be much appreciated.

DragonsChest
January 17th, 2006, 04:47 PM
Oh dear! Here's a whole bucket of kitty finding energy! And may your grandpa and the kitty work out for each other.

That was really sweet of you, btw. :hugz:

HetHert
January 17th, 2006, 05:05 PM
May Bast bring this kitty back to the safety of its newfound loving home!

Catiana
January 17th, 2006, 05:17 PM
Thanks.

Catiana
January 17th, 2006, 06:32 PM
Good News, the cat was in the closet the whole time. My grandpa freaked out when he couldn't find her and just panicked that she got out.

Thanks for all of the good energy. I really appreciate it.

DragonsChest
January 18th, 2006, 12:51 PM
Whew! So glad to hear this. :hugz:

Catiana
January 18th, 2006, 07:28 PM
Thanks. But this whole adventure is getting better and better. Today, he locked the kitty up in the closet for two hours so he could go eat because he was afraid she would get out. When he tried to get her out of the closet, she got scared and bit him. I told him not to ever lock the kitty up again, hopefully he listened. I'm starting to think this was really a mistake getting him a kitty. He hasn't even had the cat for 48 hours yet.

MzNeko
January 18th, 2006, 08:27 PM
So, this is the first time he's ever owned or been involved with a cat?

It might be a good idea to get him one of those "cats for beginners" books, to help him understand kitty needs, communication and behavior.

Folks who haven't had much exposure to cats can totally miss things that seem elementary to experienced cat-people.

Catiana
January 18th, 2006, 08:45 PM
He's had pets in the past. Its just that his mind is starting to go and he doesn't think like he used to.

KaidaMidnight
January 19th, 2006, 05:26 PM
Hopefully it'll just take a little bit for him to get use to her. I don't think it was a bad idea. He needed a friend to be with him, and the cat sure needed a home. They just have to get into a groove together. It'll work out (hopefully) :)

Catiana
January 19th, 2006, 05:36 PM
Hopefully it'll just take a little bit for him to get use to her. I don't think it was a bad idea. He needed a friend to be with him, and the cat sure needed a home. They just have to get into a groove together. It'll work out (hopefully) :)

That's what I'm hoping, that once he gets into a routine with her, everything will work out. The good thing, if it doesn't work out, the kitty has a home, so there's no worries there.

Old Witch
January 19th, 2006, 08:31 PM
OK, here I am stating the obvious...An 87 year old man who's mind isn't quite right and is locking a living, breathing creature in a closet needs someone to take care of him, not something to take care of...You just put yourself in the place of that scared cat, locked in a dark closet, or even locked in a lighted closet, see how you'd like it...