PDA

View Full Version : there was a soap thread...

SidneyCozzoi
January 20th, 2006, 01:42 PM
Someone needed help with soap making, i said I would ask my mother (who once owned a successful soap store) I have her response but I can't find the thread so here it is, maybe it will help others too.
"So sorry I didn't write back sooner. I don't know much about the melt and pour soap bases
other than it's a poor quality base. Even the more expensive is not great quality (i.e.NOT good
for dry skin, not long lasting etc) I'm guessing that the suspension bases are working better?
As far as using additives that will keep the ingredients from separating? I don't think that is
the answer. I'm sure there are things you could add but it shouldn't be necessary.
It might just be a case of letting the soap "set-up" a little first. Then fold in the
extra ingredients. There are many many variables with the soap making process. Some things
will go wrong only once and it will be fine all the other times. Hit and miss, especially at first
when you're experimenting or just learning. Soap making can seem very complicated until
you get it right. Even then you will have failed batches now and then. Your base makes ALL
the difference in the way your soap cures and behaves. Oatmeal is an excellent additive for
any soap. It is balancing for ALL skin types. It is probably one of the very few additives in
soap that actually has any value. Crushed or whole. However, lavendar, herbs,spices only
add texture and visual appeal, not fragrance or theraputic qualities.You need real essential
oils(expensive) and lots of it for their special effects. Hot process is for soaps with animal
fat in it's base. A lot of work! Basic soap! Not a great soap for all skin. Like ivory, dial,etc.
Cold process is very different. Much less work. You can get more variety in the soap bases
due to the many vegitable oils available. Keep in mind the properties of each of these fats.
Coconut oil is most common,not the best. It can be drying, contrary to what the books say. Canola is o.k., very light. Olive oil is the best, excellent quality, gentle long lasting bar.
No animal fats in cold process soap. Fragrance and additives can still be a challenge.
(Glycering naturally occors in these soaps. No need to add any. It's a misconception about
the clear soaps being gentle. They can be very drying. They use alcohol.)
Don't mix these fats in the beginning. You won't know which one is misbehaving if you have a problem. Start your experimenting with a single fat and write everything down that you do each time. Practice ,practice ,practice, and then practice some more. And ALWAYS wear you goggles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope this helps. Not a cheap or easy craft but when you succeed with
a product you are happy with, it's sheer delight!"
hope this helped someone!

treefae
January 20th, 2006, 02:39 PM
[QUOTE=SidneyCozzoi] Oatmeal is an excellent additive for
any soap. It is balancing for ALL skin types. It is probably one of the very few additives in
soap that actually has any value.

Tell your mom thanks alot!so what are the other additives that actually have value besides oatmeal?

SidneyCozzoi
January 20th, 2006, 04:22 PM
I know that you can make your own essentail oils but it would take forever!! I love the olive oil soap. I used the oatmeal soap she made to shave my legs for years, no cuts, no razor burn, no dry itchy skin! Now i hate shaving, since she sold the business, i have no more of her wonderful soap! :wah2:
I sent her your question, hopefully it doesn't take so long for her to get back to me this time.:boing:

fireswimmer
February 12th, 2006, 07:41 PM
I too could not locate the old threads on soap making. I am interested in cold processed soap and finally will have the time AND the budget to get the supplies to work on this project. I have doen a lot of reading on the net but have never actually tried soap making. Would you have any reccomendations for a newbie who wants to stay away from animal fats and would like a basic bar BEFORE trying to add any of the essential oils and additives to it.

Thank You
fireswimmer

halfwaynowhere
February 13th, 2006, 08:48 PM
I too could not locate the old threads on soap making. I am interested in cold processed soap and finally will have the time AND the budget to get the supplies to work on this project. I have doen a lot of reading on the net but have never actually tried soap making. Would you have any reccomendations for a newbie who wants to stay away from animal fats and would like a basic bar BEFORE trying to add any of the essential oils and additives to it.

Thank You
fireswimmer

me too... i have been meaning to try it out, just a basic bar with olive oil as the fat, but i've just been too chicken to try it out, seeing as i'm a scaredy cat, and lye seems scary... so i did a lot of reading, but have yet to try it, although i found this website particularly helpful... http://waltonfeed.com/old/soap/soap.html
i understand the process, but advice is appreciated greatly...

fireswimmer
February 19th, 2006, 03:44 PM
me too... i have been meaning to try it out, just a basic bar with olive oil as the fat, but i've just been too chicken to try it out, seeing as i'm a scaredy cat, and lye seems scary... so i did a lot of reading, but have yet to try it, although i found this website particularly helpful... http://waltonfeed.com/old/soap/soap.html
i understand the process, but advice is appreciated greatly...

You know, from all that I have read, I think that it is entirely doable. I need to figure out where I am going to store the soap until it can be cut. I was in the SCA and I know several people who make soap. I think that you and I both need to get over our fears and just go for it! I have one more week of training and I am going to also wait for my next pay check on the 30th. At that point I want to pick up what I need for the soap making. How soon do you think that you can start? I would like to have a batch made by the end of March. That is made but I know that it will take time for them to set before I cut into bars. Would you like to try this together?

Fireswimmer

halfwaynowhere
February 20th, 2006, 11:46 PM
i don't know... it depends on how the weather gets here... i have to do the actual mixing outside, or my mom will get mad at me... but we want to sell the soaps in the shop we are opening for civil war reenactments... so i should make a batch soon so i have plenty of time to expirement with different recipes... but yeah, we could try it together, i guess... that way if i blow up, someone will know why i dissappear... lol...

fireswimmer
February 21st, 2006, 02:47 AM
Cool! If yoyu would like to get over your fears while I get over mine I would be more than happy to share the results and progress with you. Same goes fo rme if I blow up!!!!!!!!!!!

Fireswimmer