PDA

View Full Version : Samurai Recon.?

Nobu
January 21st, 2006, 04:43 PM
Do you think a Samurai Recon. is possible? Well, I'm trying it. I have an avid fascination with the Samurai and spirituality is my life. I want to try to go ahead and pull off a Samurai Recon... to perhaps either transform my life, or at least improve it a little. I've never heard of it before, have you guys? I know what you'll say, I won't run around with my Katana and Wakizashi at hand, so don't worry. They'll remain for ceremonial purposes. What do you guys think?
_inabox_

Bix
January 21st, 2006, 05:22 PM
What exactly to you like about the Samurai spirituality. I honestly haven't heard anybody else doing this, and I must profess that I do not know much about samurai. So, enlighten me. :)

Shanti
January 21st, 2006, 09:37 PM
My question..why not?
Does it matter if everyone says bad idea?
If it works for you, heck its meant to be!! Besides..
"The experience in the trying is more important that the success or failure of the endeavor."

We learn by experiencing no matter what the outcome.

If this is something that interest you, I would say go for it..no matter what, you will learn something and if it works for you..heck extra points!! :)

Nobu
January 22nd, 2006, 12:30 AM
Haha, thank you Shanti.

Malcolm
January 25th, 2006, 05:30 PM
Have you read "Hagakurai" its the only book I know of about samurai...oh and the one by Musashi "A Book of Five Rings". I'm not sure if they're about spirituality though. I haven't read them.

Nobu
January 25th, 2006, 09:52 PM
I have read Book of Five Rings by Musashi, yes, though it was years ago, and I now wish to read it again. I am striving to get ahold of a hard copy of Hagakure, thought my efforts have yet been unsuccessful, though I will persist.

Cerulean_damselfly
March 30th, 2006, 09:57 PM
You might find what you want in Aikido, as they honor the roots of the samurai warrior in culture and feel Japanese in spirit, even with a mix of Japanese and English.

http://www.aikido-yoshinkai.org/AikidoHistory.htm

I don't know if you have any dojos near you, but the senior Shinto priest of the Tsubaki America shrine (Reverend Barrish) in Washington state (Granite Falls), has been trained in Japan, is recognized for both his spiritual and martial art practises--I believe it is rare for an American-born to have achieved that recognition.

The link to the shrine has his e-mail--and it might be rare, but he personally does read and respond in English. His writing is laced with some Japanese as those I know who are from there, so I originally thought he was a first generation. The reason I suggest him, is I found one or two links back to Tsubaki America Jinja (shrine) from Japanese and American sources and I really trust his way of recommending and relating to the sincere of heart.

http://www.tsubakishrine.com/test/home.asp

Even though martial arts are not my path, as a teaching resource, I am hopeful of taking Shinto-related classes from his group later this year to augment folklore and other resources. If you also check out the link with the triangle, circle and square, you will find elemental attributions that will be useful for further studies in Japanese literature--I wish you the best in furthering your paths and callings.

Best regards,

Cerulean_damselfly

semi
March 30th, 2006, 10:07 PM
I strongly agree with Cerulean. I met many people when I studied martial arts who lived by samurai ethics. I think you'll find your people and your path there.

BenSt
April 9th, 2006, 04:42 PM
I dont see why you cant incorporate Samurai into your path...but I wonder would it be Samurai Recon? I mean Samurai isnt exactly completly dead is it and it still alive in Japan...so what would you reconstruct?

Cerulean_damselfly
April 9th, 2006, 07:55 PM
It might be good to think of the desire and goal is to first be samurai reconstruction, so that the modern can combine what aspects they desire into their path.

Please excuse if what I am including doesn't seem right or too narrow...I've never really addressed this question in a world-forum and I'm hoping that what I'm posting sounds and feels respectful and right. I actually viewed the wish and the term 'samurai spirituality' in essence to capture something as the spirit and discipline of the warrior ethics of the historical samurai. I viewed it different from the whole idea of what it was to be 'samurai' in fact. To be samurai outside of Japan might be mostly a reconstruction path...to be one inside Japan might be part of their heritage, but also a reconstruction.

The historical samurai could be thought of as part of the heritage in Japan. For instance, the samurai as a class was a feudal structure whose favoritisms was officially abolished in 1871 and the forthcoming Meiji restoration was about modernism:

http://www.users.bigpond.com/battleforAustralia/foundationJapmilaggro/JapModern.html

Those of the heritage of samurai families--they still have pride in this as part of their heritage. The reason I looked it from a heritage standpoint is in our paternal clans, we know the grandmother's line had those links, but my father's father was from a merchantile and farming structure. So if we said 'samurai' we would be looking at our heritage bloodlines.

Now if you are speaking of what might have come into the culture, a spiritual aspect that included the martial arts, that I believe, is Bushido. I believe from my small view, it is excellent discipline that also is part of a larger context. It would contribute to those who would like to reconstruct and learn what such things might be interesting and of value to them.

Those interested in past Samurai culture might enjoy the following (as this video series describes aspects):

http://www.ch.emb-japan.go.jp/japan/videos/kokoro.html

I hope I do not sound rude or terribly narrow. I think there are some very strong and excellent voices in these forums who might be able to better define their views of modern 'samurai spirituality' and whether it is to be viewed as a reconstruction on a more international level.

So I suggested Aikido at first, without going into all the above detail, as Aikido in dojos are more common and accessible. I believe as people go deeper and develop their desires, disciplines and their hearts mature, they will develop a 'bushido'
nature--which is what I thought of when I read the posts...

Here's another link with Aikido information:

http://www.aikido-world.com/articles/articles.htm

I hope this is helpful

I'm feeling like I put a big foot in my mouth by suggesting all this, as we do pull from different cultures and paths in this modern world...but I'm trying to also touch on this from the circles that I'm from...

Regards and respect to all,

Cerulean_Damselfly

LordHelmet
April 9th, 2006, 09:49 PM
I have read Book of Five Rings by Musashi, yes, though it was years ago, and I now wish to read it again. I am striving to get ahold of a hard copy of Hagakure, thought my efforts have yet been unsuccessful, though I will persist.

It's available for nine dollars on amazon dude.

So I don't study sammuri but the picture that I've gotten is that they were servants to their king. In fact sammuri meant servant or something right? Who's your king?

:idea: Ill be your king... got it... ...

no, I'll wait till it's in your head

:fpraise:

Now... Kill yourself! :hahugh:

No seriously, I suppose you could be just as loyal to an ideal or a purpose. You could be a sammuri to the common good.

Cerulean_damselfly
April 9th, 2006, 11:37 PM
A funny aside:

Ah, LordHelmet (who might resemble Darth Vadar),

You might not study the samurai, but your helmet on your avatar might be attributed to a fun look at a 'space age samurai' movie reconstruction:

http://www.mos.org/doc/1829?/08DF/16/3FFFFF

Hope you found the link fun--it made me grin when I saw your avatar and reminded me of what some of friends noted when they saw Star Wars movies and saw some resemblances to a "Japanese-style" in the armor.

The "hoshi" style of helmet (as noted in the link) was an amusing to family members, as the word "hoshi" is part of our paternal name. In one of the sci-fi shows, we also came across the name Hoshi in a character--which is fitting, because it's meaning is 'star'.

We've known we're mainly not from the samurai clans, so the advice/suggestions above were noted as if one of my nephews wanted to study such old things.

Don't know if this is of any help to Nobu, but if following or learning a balanced warrior spirituality helps a change of spirit, that's a good thing.

Maybe it will lead to being loyal to an ideal or servant of the common good, that's a great thing...but however it eventually works, the thread and discussion of this was of great interest to me!

Best regards,

Cerulean_Damselfly

LordHelmet
April 10th, 2006, 12:23 AM
remarkable. It's interesting to note also that Darth Vaders helmet is made to look like the hood of the cloak is still over its wearer, although he no wears a cape. I would also point out the feirce loyalty he showed the emperor, all of the sudden, until he decided to kill him.

Most noteable about the helmet perhaps is it's resemblence to the tip of a dick. Oddly called the 'head' or 'helmet' of a dick...

Vader was, after all, a dick.

Little Billy
April 10th, 2006, 12:39 AM
Do you think a Samurai Recon. is possible? Well, I'm trying it. I have an avid fascination with the Samurai and spirituality is my life. I want to try to go ahead and pull off a Samurai Recon... to perhaps either transform my life, or at least improve it a little. I've never heard of it before, have you guys? I know what you'll say, I won't run around with my Katana and Wakizashi at hand, so don't worry. They'll remain for ceremonial purposes. What do you guys think?
_inabox_

Well, okay, but you're going to have to learn to treat poor people like esemono.

Cerulean_damselfly
April 10th, 2006, 12:56 AM
Interesting.

esemono /sham/fraud/counterfeit/impostor/pretender/

http://thatdamncat.com/images/samurai/edict_r