PDA

View Full Version : Getting cats to get along with each other..

RunningRiot
January 25th, 2006, 11:20 PM

Dio
January 25th, 2006, 11:26 PM
You just have to give them time to get used to each other. It may take a month or so, but they'll warm up to each other eventually. Even my cats, after 15 years don't really like each other that much. They give each other the "Oh...it's you" look whenever they are in the same room. But they tolerate each other just fine. Just be patient.

eldora_avalon
January 25th, 2006, 11:34 PM
Feed them at the same time by each, but in separate dishes. Get toys they both like and play with them at the same time. This helps of you have two people. Two strings works fine. Catnip.

Unless they are trying to hurt each other or make more cats, don't worry about keeping them apart, except maybe at bedtime when you can't keep an eye on them.

We have a 17 year old cat and a four year old. They didn't get along so well, they still don't, but they chase each other around a couple of times a day, they eat at the same time, they sleep on the bed together, but not touching. The older one is very jealous. If I pick up the younger one, I have seen her pounce after I set her down.

BTW, the older one weighs 8 pounds the younger one 14 pounds. The older one still intimidates the younger one almost all of the time.

zede
January 25th, 2006, 11:34 PM
i had alot of trouble with my first cat when i brought home a kitten he was pissed. he even went after her a few times. i tried all of the methods they tell you in the cat books with no success, then i got a idea of my own. i put cat nip all over my living room and rubbed it all over the kitten i let the older cat mess around in the nip for awhile then i brought the kitten in he was all lovey and rolling around then was rubbing on her it was perfect. i left them together for alittle while then i put her back in her room . i did it a few times and they just got to be friends but just all little advice, i now have eight cats the two of them made four of them so you better get one of them fixed because after they start to get along you will have a whole different problem!

halfwaynowhere
January 25th, 2006, 11:35 PM
keeping him in the bathroom for awhile is a good start... that way she can walk by and sniff under the door, to get used to his smell... she is the boss, and always will be, but kittens like to challenge things, and often ignore the rule... she will need to hiss at him a few times to put him in his place, thats normal. eventually, curiousity will prevail, and she will approach him and get to know him. these things take time and patience.

ap Dafydd
January 26th, 2006, 08:58 AM
48 hours is probably long enough to keep them seperate, then just let them work out their own relationship. Maybe they'll get along, maybe they won't, that's cats for you.

I liked the idea about the catnip trick, but bear in mind that (a) about 10% of cats are totally uninterested in 'nip and "just say no" and (b) some cats do get aggressive when they're stoned, or at least, some of ours do!

gwyn eich byd

Ffred

StarEyes
January 26th, 2006, 12:37 PM
We have 3 cats and while the eldest two love each other and spend a great deal of time curled up together where ever they happen to be sleeping, the youngest is not loved at all by either of them. We did just about everything that we could think of to get them to at least be tolerant of each other and it simply won't work. Valentine (the baby) is rambunctious and almost always wanting to play. Shadow (my 13 yo) and Persephone (my 2 yo) really want nothing to do with Valentine most of the time. Ocassionally Persephone will play with Valentine but not very often. Generally the only quiet time is in the wee hours of the morning when at least two of them are curled up on the bed with my honey and I as we sleep.... Or when the alarm clock goes off and they all want to be pet by mom before she goes to work.

What can I say. They are cats but we love them!!!

RunningRiot
January 29th, 2006, 10:08 PM
Thanks for the helpful information and the unbearably adorable stories, everyone. ^_^ I will let you all know how it goes getting Kalven and Faye to get along!

RunningRiot
February 14th, 2006, 11:22 PM
Okay, updates everyone. ^_^; Sorry to bump an old thread!

Kalven and Faye are getting along alot better than we expected! I just put him in her room and she ran up to him, they touched noses, and then she ran away.. She cute. They'll sleep on the bed together, but she still hisses at him sometimes. I just got him fixed too, so I'm happy to say I get to keep both of them! Thank you all for the advice.

Lia.

Willow Rosette
February 14th, 2006, 11:30 PM
I was told there are oils in the back of a cats neck. And if you wipe it off on a towl (kinda like rubbing a balloon on your hair) and then rub it on the new kitten that wants to be friends, the new one will smell like the old one and will then be easier to welcome.

Rudas Starblaze
February 15th, 2006, 12:26 AM
we're having the same problem. except its been three months. my cat, Fosser, thinks that him and Anabell are playing, but she doesnt see it that way. shes somewhere between 13 and 16 human years old and Fosser is only about 9 months old and Fosser is way bigger then Anabell. Anabell wants to be the dominant cat but Fosser puts her in her place faster then a cat can lick its ass.:lol:

mtpathy
February 15th, 2006, 12:32 AM
when i first brought dharma home from the grocery store,"woman was
giving her away in a box", Chakra "my other cat" couldn't stand her.
all they did was fight, and Chakra would scare the living piss out of poor
defensless Dharma.so i went to the store and bought a can of tuna oil
and rubbed both of them down where they were sopping wet,then i placed
both of them in the closet together.
yes granted for awhile there was hissing and probably swatting at each
other,but i gave it the better part of the day..
when i opened the closet that night both of them were licked half to death
and they were curled up in a big fuzzy ball together.
that moment on Chakra was very protective of Dharma,and would treat her
like she was one of her own kittens "which she never had any" lol.