PDA

View Full Version : LOOKING: Tarot Journeys by Y. Galenorn

elfmage
January 26th, 2006, 12:15 AM
Hi, I have checked eBay and Amazon.com sellers, and there are a few copies of this still available. However, none of these sellers are willing to ship to Australia, and I really do want this book!

So, anyone with a copy they are willing to part with? I am willing to pay via Paypal or direct deposit (cheques and money orders internationally are an expensive hassel to buyers and sellers alike). As long as there are no pages missing, or illegibly torn or written over, second hand condition is fine with me!

Here are the book details if you are uncertain;

Title : Tarot Journeys
Author : Yasmine Galenorn
ISBN : 156718264X

Thank you, and fingers crossed!

Yasmine Galenorn
January 26th, 2006, 01:20 AM
Hi, I have checked eBay and Amazon.com sellers, and there are a few copies of this still available. However, none of these sellers are willing to ship to Australia, and I really do want this book!

So, anyone with a copy they are willing to part with? I am willing to pay via Paypal or direct deposit (cheques and money orders internationally are an expensive hassel to buyers and sellers alike). As long as there are no pages missing, or illegibly torn or written over, second hand condition is fine with me!

Here are the book details if you are uncertain;

Title : Tarot Journeys
Author : Yasmine Galenorn
ISBN : 156718264X

Thank you, and fingers crossed!

Have you tried contacting this place to find out if they can scout you a used copy? http://www.mindbodyspirit.com.au/newage/intg1.htm

I wish I had extras to sell, but I don't. :hugz:

Yasmine :colorful:

Londubh
January 26th, 2006, 01:50 AM
I just purchased a copy of Tarot Journeys here-

http://store.yahoo.com/capricornslair/tarjourbookc.html

brand new.

It looks like they will ship to other countries. Good Luck!

SilverClaw
January 26th, 2006, 02:17 AM
oooh that sounds like a book I should add to my list :D

WtchyChick13
January 26th, 2006, 02:20 AM
Have you tried contacting this place to find out if they can scout you a used copy? http://www.mindbodyspirit.com.au/newage/intg1.htm

I wish I had extras to sell, but I don't. :hugz:

You popular chickie you! :hehehehe:

elfmage
January 26th, 2006, 03:09 AM
Woohoo, thank you very much everyone for your help! I have now secured myself a copy, and look forward to its arrival very much. :)

P.S. [Shameless flattery mode] I loved Embracing the Moon, Ms. Galenorn! Your writing style rocks! [/Shameless flattery mode] ;)

Yasmine Galenorn
January 26th, 2006, 12:56 PM
You popular chickie you! :hehehehe:

LOL...that's one of the ones out of print, and it's hard to find because it did sell through 100%, but Llewellyn, in their infinite 'wisdom' decided it didn't sell fast enough (that's common, if a book doesn't sell quickly when it comes out, it's often taken out of print) and that it wouldn't keep selling and so they took it OOP. Now I get several requests a month for it and I have to tell people, sorry. It ain't out there and I only have a couple copies of my own.

I'm glad people like that one--I think it's one of my strongest as far as the nonfiction goes.

Yasmine Galenorn
January 26th, 2006, 12:57 PM
Woohoo, thank you very much everyone for your help! I have now secured myself a copy, and look forward to its arrival very much. :)

P.S. [Shameless flattery mode] I loved Embracing the Moon, Ms. Galenorn! Your writing style rocks! [/Shameless flattery mode] ;)

Glad you found it! Hope you like it! (And to forestall questions, that's the only CD they made--the one with the first two journeys on it--I guess they figured that was enough). And I'm glad you liked ETM....:) Tarot Journeys was my last Llewellyn book, btw, before I moved to Crossing Press for my nonfiction.

WtchyChick13
January 26th, 2006, 06:49 PM
LOL...that's one of the ones out of print, and it's hard to find because it did sell through 100%, but Llewellyn, in their infinite 'wisdom' decided it didn't sell fast enough (that's common, if a book doesn't sell quickly when it comes out, it's often taken out of print) and that it wouldn't keep selling and so they took it OOP. Now I get several requests a month for it and I have to tell people, sorry. It ain't out there and I only have a couple copies of my own.

I'm glad people like that one--I think it's one of my strongest as far as the nonfiction goes.

I don't know if this is a valid question or not but is it possible to tell Llewellyn that it is still in demand and maybe it's time that they start putting it out again? Or.....can you LuLu.com it? (Although I'll bet that Llewellyn has the publishing rights to it, right? :huh:

Yasmine Galenorn
January 26th, 2006, 06:58 PM
I don't know if this is a valid question or not but is it possible to tell Llewellyn that it is still in demand and maybe it's time that they start putting it out again? Or.....can you LuLu.com it? (Although I'll bet that Llewellyn has the publishing rights to it, right? :huh:

No, I have the rights back to it--it went OOP some years back and I made sure I got the rights back, just like with Dancing With The Sun (which I'll never put out for re-issue) and Trancing The Witch's Wheel (which is now selling as Magical Meditations from Crossing Press.

I may look for a new publisher someday for TJ, when I have more time, but I'd never go the self-publishing route. Just some/thing I'm not in favor of. I'm focusing on my fiction now, because that's where I always wanted to be from the start. :)

Yazza :colorful:

dragoncrone
January 27th, 2006, 05:00 PM
What's your take on self-publishing, then? :hahugh:

Yasmine Galenorn
January 30th, 2006, 09:29 PM
What's your take on self-publishing, then? :hahugh:

You know, I realize everyone has to make their own decisions on the issue, but I've seen people scammed for thousands of dollars on SP/Vanity Press printing. One friend of mine was caught in a scam and taken for 8 grand. He was a good person, but he just didn't have the talent to be a writer, and he wanted it so bad that he couldn't accept what editors were saying (I read his work, it was pretty...bad...), and he ended up a lot poorer in both wallet and spirits. It was pretty rough, and his friends warned him but he just couldn't let it go.

I'm also of the opinion that every writer needs a good editor, that no one can possibly see every problem with their own work, and that sometimes taking shortcuts actually short-changes the book.

In my experience through the years, I've come to the decision that printing one's own books is most useful for esoteric subjects a large publisher can't possibly back, for poetry and family memoirs. :)

WtchyChick13
January 31st, 2006, 01:47 AM
In my experience through the years, I've come to the decision that printing one's own books is most useful for esoteric subjects a large publisher can't possibly back, for poetry and family memoirs. :)

:blushake: Ooooohhhhh, watch out for those memoirs! *cough* Oprah *cough* _wedgie_

What about that Lulu.com? I have an acct. there but haven't uploaded anything to it yet. Ok, I haven't finished anything yet either but that's a whole other story. _inabox_

One more....how hard is it to submit to Llewellyn? I've seen their guidelines and everything, but how are they towards their writers? Are you treated well? :huh:

Yasmine Galenorn
January 31st, 2006, 12:13 PM
:blushake: Ooooohhhhh, watch out for those memoirs! *cough* Oprah *cough* _wedgie_

What about that Lulu.com? I have an acct. there but haven't uploaded anything to it yet. Ok, I haven't finished anything yet either but that's a whole other story. _inabox_

One more....how hard is it to submit to Llewellyn? I've seen their guidelines and everything, but how are they towards their writers? Are you treated well? :huh:

I believe LuLu is just another self-printing company, isn't it? I could be wrong, but I don't think it's a traditional publisher, whether print or POD or e-book. (I use the term publisher for someone who actually hires editors to go through the work and who doesn't just print anything slapped in front of them).

For myself, I would never be comfortable going through anybody but a traditional publisher--for one thing, if you're looking to be a career writer, it's not going to wash. I'm a writer--I write, I self-promote but I don't go out and do the actual distribution and selling. That's not what I'm about. And I want some quality control and that doesn't come without a good editor. Not all mistakes can be caught, but the majority can, and my editor has been invaluable to me in helping me see how a good book can be better.

See, POD and e-books and SP are all methods of printing/publishing, but an SP company does no editing and will print anything you send into them as long as you pay them to.

Not all ebook and POD companies will do that...however, again, for a career writer you can't really make a living off of them--they just don't sell. When you're talking a traditional publisher you're talking in terms of thousands of copies at the least, or tens of thousands, of copies. And royalties take awhile to add up. You're lucky to sell a couple hundred copies through the E/POD realm.

Plus, to be honest, not everybody has the talent to write and publish a book--it's like music, I might be able to sing, but nobody is going to want to hear it. I can't keep on key, my voice is pleasant when I'm speaking but singing? Uh...no. I guarantee you that no matter how hard I practice, it's not going to get a lot better because I just don't have the talent! It's the same with writing. Not only do you need hard work, practice, and skill, but you need an inborn talent. Not everybody can write a good story, it takes more than knowing how to work the keyboard. Some people discover that talent early, some later on. And some people will write all their lives and never be published, and if they can be happy with that, then more power to them. But not everybody has what it takes to get published.

Re: Llewellyn...I left them after four books, but unfortunately, when I moved to Crossing Press, they bit the big one because of 9/11 and sold to Ten Speed (that's where my last four nonfiction books came out from). I no longer bother with small presses because I've moved into fiction and my goals are (and have always been) to reach a much wider audience than a niche market can provide. But there are a lot of good small traditional presses out there.

Even if I were to write nonfiction again, I'd go through my agent to get into a bigger press for it. As far as Llewellyn, they have given a lot of authors their start, and some authors are quite happy there. I still have one book with them that is still selling--Embracing The Moon.

The main thing to remember with any traditional print publisher is this: find a unique slant on the material. You really need to have something fresh to say, or a fresh way to say something that's already been done. That's how I got in with Llewellyn in the first place--I'd read a lot of their books and had never seen a book of guided meditations specifically focused on the Wheel of the Year. Find a new way to present material that brings something different to the table.

OH...and with any publisher--pay attention to their guidelines and follow them. Do NOT think you'll be the exception to the rule. It's not going to happen.

I also recommend aspiring writers read a couple of good blogs put out by agents--the material in there is sound, the advice is good. My agent would say much the same thing if she bothered with blogging. Miss Snark (http://misssnark.blogspot.com/) and and Pub Rants (http://pubrants.blogspot.com/).

Okay, I need my caffeine. I have a feeling this may not be as organized as I like my answers to be, but I've got to run!

Hugs,

WtchyChick13
February 1st, 2006, 12:00 AM
WOW! Thank you so much for that info!!! You definately deserved that coffee! :blushake: :woot:

I think I'm going to print out your post so that I'll have it handy when I need it. :hugz: