PDA

View Full Version : Folic Acid and TTC

Amethyst Rose
January 27th, 2006, 01:09 AM
A friend of mine had a baby at the end of November, and when I told her we planned on ttc in April she asked me if I needed any folic acid....apparently she had 3 bottles of it left (she's a bulk buyer). I took her up on the offer and took a bottle, though my intentions were just to take prenatal vitamins once we start to ttc.

My question is, is it good enough to take the vitamins once we actually start trying, or should I be taking them now?

With my son being a surprize, I didn't take any vitamins until I knew I was pregant, so I'm clues about how to plan. :)

Thanks. :)

Athena-Nadine
January 27th, 2006, 10:50 AM
When my husband and I were thinking about ttc, my doctor told me to come in for a preconception visit. It took care of most of the early genetic testing (cystic fibrosis, gonnorhea, HIV, etc.) that most people go through early in pregnancy, and also my general physical health at the time. It was a longer appointment than normal because it was also a consultation. She likes for people to do this, if possible, about three months before they begin trying. She gave me my prescrition for my prenatal vitamins then. I've been taking them since December 2004.

My doctor says that all women of childbearing years who may have children or who are breastfeeding should be taking prenatal vitamins whether they are pregnant or not. Taking a prenatal vitamin with folic acid before conception greatly reduces the risks of some neural tube defects like spinal bifida. I think it's also just a good habit to get into beforehand.

Alora
January 27th, 2006, 12:13 PM
If you are taking prenatals you do not need an additional folic acid. If you are ttc it's a good idea to start the vitamins now if you are going to take them when you are pregnant. I did not take vitamins. They made me sick.

Alora
If you are taking prenatals you do not need an additional folic acid. If you are ttc it's a good idea to start the vitamins now if you are going to take them when you are pregnant. I did not take vitamins. They made me sick.

Alora

DreamSpell333
January 27th, 2006, 01:50 PM
Start taking the vitamins right now. Ask your doctor about the extra folic acid also. it couldnt hurt. I really hadnt been taking anything before this pregnancy,and now i wish i had.Maybe i'd be having a healthy baby :(.. I wish you lots of luck ttc.. (hugs)