PDA

View Full Version : Bird lore & omens

Haerfest Leah
February 2nd, 2006, 06:35 PM
It's taking me forever to read Myths & Symbols in Pagan Europe, Early Scandinavian & Celtic Religions and today I ran across a very interesting section on Birds. It's on pages 86 & 87 if you have the book. This section is on feats and skills, it mentions being able to communicate with birds & interpret calls and movements. It mentions omens from seeing particular birds and what deities traveled in forms of birds & examples from the lore.

Does anyone know much on stuff like this say like trying to build a relationship with birds, watching them & interpreting them?

:viking:

woodlandfairy
February 2nd, 2006, 07:03 PM
I hear owls hoot when someone in my family dies. One time I was camping with an ex boyfriend and heard one, he freaked out on me, but I made him take me to the store to use the phone anyway and low and behold an aunt had died. It has happened several times. I also see a red bird when they have crossed over. I love birds and raise and rescue them. My friends call me the bird lady. I'll be one of those old ladies out feeding the pigeons my last bit of bread. Birds are messengers from the spirit world.

Haerfest Leah
February 2nd, 2006, 08:31 PM
oh wow, thanks for your reply. I love birds, I love fish too (their one of hobbys) but lately I can't get birds out of my head. Mainly I have Owls and peacocks on my mind.

KellyP
February 3rd, 2006, 01:04 PM
It's taking me forever to read Myths & Symbols in Pagan Europe, Early Scandinavian & Celtic Religions and today I ran across a very interesting section on Birds. It's on pages 86 & 87 if you have the book. This section is on feats and skills, it mentions being able to communicate with birds & interpret calls and movements. It mentions omens from seeing particular birds and what deities traveled in forms of birds & examples from the lore.

Does anyone know much on stuff like this say like trying to build a relationship with birds, watching them & interpreting them?

That's a great book and I make reference to it often. The way they organized the material makes it very easy to go back and find material when answering a question or doing research.

I try to gather omens from birds on very specific occasions, generally limited to when I am seeking direct guidance from the gods/goddesses. In a sense, I ask my question and then try to be as observant and 'open' to the world around me for any messages I might receive. As birds are noted as messengers of the gods from several cultures I pay close attention to them during these times. However, I have never considered building a relationship with birds as part of this effort. Instead, believing that the gods will send the birds if they choose and I must be prepared to recognize them as messengers and try my best to reflect upon the message being relayed.

mothwench
February 5th, 2006, 08:08 AM
i tend to associate falcons with freyja and herons and wild geese with frigg, and then there's the obvious ravens with odin. but when i see them, i don't interpret their style of flight or actions because i wouldn't know how to. does it say so in that book of yours?

Haerfest Leah
February 5th, 2006, 08:30 PM
i don't interpret their style of flight or actions because i wouldn't know how to. does it say so in that book of yours?

It says they did that just not how to do it.