PDA

View Full Version : Celtic and Druids

adrian
March 28th, 2001, 12:40 AM
Excuse me ignorance but me had always believed that the celts and the druids were connected or one and the same, would someone please help me by clearing up this misconception for me, this is not my area of study but my interest is peaked and the question is driving me
nutty??? My only excuse is that i live in America!!!! lol
sorry, i feel nutty tonite.

Maggie
March 28th, 2001, 02:23 AM
Originally posted by adrian
Excuse me ignorance but me had always believed that the celts and the druids were connected or one and the same, would someone please help me by clearing up this misconception for me, this is not my area of study but my interest is peaked and the question is driving me
nutty??? My only excuse is that i live in America!!!! lol
sorry, i feel nutty tonite.

Druids were one class among celtic society--all druids were celts but not all celts were druids. :D They were the educated class, so to speak, and included both the bards and the seers. They held the laws and the histories in memory, and were advisors to the kings and chiefs. Most is known about the Irish. Good introductions are books like __The World of the Druids__by Miranda Green, or (more scholarly) The Druids by Peter Beresford Ellis.

Regards,

Maggie

adrian
March 28th, 2001, 12:52 PM
Thank you for clearing that one up....i was somewhat at
a lose to explain my apparent ignorance on this matter, i was beginning to believe that they were an entirely different race in another part of the world.
In the legend of Arthur, it was said that Merlin was a druid priest, one of the last and they were given the ancient wisdom to teach mankind in this period of history. I love my history, especially Ancient but i'm no historian and be it far from me to offend anyone.
In Peace and In Love

Twig
March 28th, 2001, 01:53 PM
"all druids were celts but not all celts were druids."

Ah HAH! Stealing my lines are we!!?;) Sok!

Peace,
Twig

Maggie
March 28th, 2001, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by adrian
Thank you for clearing that one up....i was somewhat at
a lose to explain my apparent ignorance on this matter, i was beginning to believe that they were an entirely different race in another part of the world.
In the legend of Arthur, it was said that Merlin was a druid priest, one of the last and they were given the ancient wisdom to teach mankind in this period of history. I love my history, especially Ancient but i'm no historian and be it far from me to offend anyone.
In Peace and In Love

Well, the word 'druid' covers a lot of territory. :) I'm not an Arthurian, but I'm sure we have some around here who'd love to discuss the legends--ask away!

Regards,

Maggie

Maggie
March 28th, 2001, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Twig
"all druids were celts but not all celts were druids."

Ah HAH! Stealing my lines are we!!?;) Sok!

Peace,
Twig

It happens so rarely, I couldn't resist! :D

Regards,

Maggie