PDA

View Full Version : TTC - Gender Selection

Amethyst Rose
February 7th, 2006, 05:52 PM
My husband was talking to an old internet friend the other day - old as in he's 'known' her since he first went online, not age old...though she does have grown kids. :)

Anyway.... they started talking about kids and mentioned we'll be trying for one more. We both want a girl, and this friend said that I should take a lot of cold baths and showers, if we want a girl.

Is there any logic behind this?

Have you heard this theory before?

Any other ideas of how we can try to have a girl?

SidneyCozzoi
February 7th, 2006, 06:02 PM
As far as I know, the deciding factor is in your husbands sperm. A baby's gender is decided by the sperm, not the circumstances surrounding you. It's what we call an old wives' tale.

Athena-Nadine
February 7th, 2006, 06:11 PM
I have heard that there is scientific evidence that the "female" sperm live longer than the "male" sperm, so having sex closer to your ovulation date (like the day before or the day of) raises the chance that you will have a boy, and having sex a couple of days before ovultaion raises your chances of having a girl. I don't know how true this is, however.

Ceres
February 7th, 2006, 06:13 PM
Its actually both the sperm and the enviroment in the vagina that determines whether the sperm that penetrates the egg is a boy or girl sperm. There are no guarantees of course because there are so many sperm hammering away at the same time on the outside of the egg that it may just be, against all odds the opposite of what the majority of the sperm are.

Now, in for the man's part, it seems men in dangerous occupations tend to be more likely to have more girl sperms. Likewise for alcoholics (my father was one and had five girls and one boy...:lol:). In the woman, a hostile acidic vaginal enviroment tends to kill of the male sperm who while faster, also tend to die sooner. Also for this reason, having sex a few days before you ovulate is more likely to result in a girl baby because the boy sperms are more likely to die off before the egg even makes its debut, while having sex the day of ovulation means the boys are more likely to get to the egg first because the girls are lagging behind.

There are diets for women to follow in the hopes of conceiving one gender over the other, but with so many other factors in play, I doubt they make much difference.

Amethyst Rose
February 7th, 2006, 06:29 PM
So, what do you think about the whole cold bath/shower thing?

Ceres
February 7th, 2006, 06:39 PM
Possibly to kill off the boy sperms? I dunno - it doesnt seem very likely :lol:

Meadhbh
February 7th, 2006, 06:41 PM
I never heard this before. It seems like it won't really work. There are charms, and amulets ect that can help you with gender selection. But this shower thing to be something somebody came up with one day.

WokeUpDead
February 7th, 2006, 06:59 PM
I'd say it doesn't matter what they do. They're odds will still be 50/50

Ceres
February 7th, 2006, 10:06 PM
I'd say it doesn't matter what they do. They're odds will still be 50/50

Statistically, it amounts to about 55-45 in favour of boys, but they are less likely to make it past the first 12 weeks of gestation, so in the end, slightly more girls.

KaidaMidnight
February 7th, 2006, 10:16 PM
So, what do you think about the whole cold bath/shower thing?

What my midwife told us after our second son was born ,and I commented that we wanted a daughter the next time, was for the FATHER to take a cool bath before having sex. I guess it's suppose to slow the sperm down or something... Also, to be in the "top" position during sex. Another thing (as some people have mentioned) is that the girl sperm travel much slower than the males, but they live longer. This is where taking your temperature every day for a couple of months. Your temperature should go up a couple days before your ovulation, and that's the time to try for a girl. :) ~~Coming from my midwife~~ :D Hope it helps

Kalika
February 8th, 2006, 08:27 PM
I don't know about this theory...

But I remember reading awhile back that there is an "expert" who has books out that provide you with ways to increase your chances of a boy or a girl... so much so that they guarantee your money back if you don't get what you were planning, if you followed their directions.

*shrug*

If you really really really want to make the effort to have a girl... it might be something you'd look into. I don't know how much I believe it, but they claim a 99% accuracy/success rate. (I don't remember who the "expert" is either...sorry!)

DreamSpell333
February 8th, 2006, 08:39 PM
I know that i've heard that certain positions can help make either a boy or girl,but I also believe it all depends on the man and when you ovulate. Since female sperm last longer.. My father had 6 girls,no boys,and my mom had 5 girls and 4 boys (including me) . (my mom had 8 with her first husband who passed away ) so i know girls are more domanant on my side of the family. My dad always says that it was easier to make a girl,because he had the pattern right in front of him! lmao

My husband and I want to TTC again come may-june. **crossing my fingers** right now im focusing on healing,and getting in shape. Hannah keeps pleading with daddy,to put another baby in mommys tummy.lol
good luck ttc amethyest rose! :)

Alora
February 10th, 2006, 01:18 PM
I have never heard this before but you can choose the sex of your child with fairly high accuracy. Check out this book:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0060937645/002-3431137-7689621?v=glance&n=283155

RunningRiot
February 10th, 2006, 05:46 PM
There is a medical procedure you could do.. They take the guy's sperm and spin it really fast in one direction and then sort of implant it into you. I heard about it a really long time ago, ask your doctor about it!

Other than that I have no idea

Ceres
February 10th, 2006, 09:21 PM
Or you could have sex on a roller coaster.....

Jolixte
February 10th, 2006, 09:26 PM
Or you could have sex on a roller coaster.....
Ooo, that sounds like the best idea yet!

Moonlite Faery
February 11th, 2006, 10:53 PM
I found this article today...
http://galaxy-publishing.com/archive/ice-underwear-alcohol.htm

SSanf
February 11th, 2006, 11:26 PM
I know that I read somewhere that if you douch with a mild vinagar solution prior to the act you wold get one sex of child and with a mild baking soda solution you would get the other sex. But, I don't remember which got you what.

It had something to do with male sperm didn't like one or the other.

MysticMama
February 12th, 2006, 09:30 PM
I have never heard this before but you can choose the sex of your child with fairly high accuracy. Check out this book:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0060937645/002-3431137-7689621?v=glance&n=283155

This is a great book for achieving or avoiding pregnancy in general. I would recommend the Shettles Method (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/038548562X/qid=1139794132/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/103-4303851-8181438?s=books&v=glance&n=283155) for gender selection though. I haven't used it, but I know lots who have with success.

Basically it comes down to timing intercourse. Boy sperm are fast moving and fast dying. Girl sperm swim more slowly but they have better longevity.

Ceres
February 12th, 2006, 10:08 PM
I found this article today...
http://galaxy-publishing.com/archive/ice-underwear-alcohol.htm

This guy actually asserts that the father consuming alcohol will make the baby boy turn out girly. I looked it up and it seems there is a phenomenon of men having lower sperm counts than 50 years ago, but since alcohol was found in abundance then as now, I have a hard time beleiving this is considered a cause :lol: It does NOT make them "girly"

Kalika
February 13th, 2006, 11:58 AM
This guy actually asserts that the father consuming alcohol will make the baby boy turn out girly. I looked it up and it seems there is a phenomenon of men having lower sperm counts than 50 years ago, but since alcohol was found in abundance then as now, I have a hard time beleiving this is considered a cause :lol: It does NOT make them "girly"

There's also a theory that in certain parts of the world (even the US), that high levels of estrogen in the water supply makes men "girly" or even gay. Hmm.

That made me think of that for some reason. :p

KaidaMidnight
February 13th, 2006, 12:08 PM
There's also a theory that in certain parts of the world (even the US), that high levels of estrogen in the water supply makes men "girly" or even gay. Hmm.

That made me think of that for some reason. :p

I can see where it would be like taking hormones, if the estrogen is in the water supply but it would take a VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY long time.. and it wouldn't make them gay.. lol.

On the subject of the gender choosing.. they actually have packs you can buy (I think it's like $439 per pack for a 3 month supply) that say if you follow the plan (boy or girl) and you DON'T get the gender that you wanted, they give you your money back.. :lol: The packs come in blue and pink, and have instructions, vitamins that you and the father would take (they recommend starting the program 3 months before you try to get pregnant), and different douches. Also is a chart to record your temp so that you know when your ready to have your boy or girl. Here is the site.. LOL http://www.genselect.com/?referrer=Google&gclid=CKPrnpH0lYMCFRGIJAodOBR0Kw I guess if you really really wanted to try.. you could check it out.. it says it's all natural, and they do have the 100% full money-back guarantee. And it's FDA approved. LOL.. just a thought.. What do you all think?

Happy Shrew
February 13th, 2006, 09:32 PM
I know that I read somewhere that if you douch with a mild vinagar solution prior to the act you wold get one sex of child and with a mild baking soda solution you would get the other sex. But, I don't remember which got you what.

It had something to do with male sperm didn't like one or the other.

An acidic environment burns the tails off of sperm. The vagina is somewhat acidic to start with, so if your vinegar is too strong you aren't going to get anything.

MysticMama
February 15th, 2006, 02:58 PM
If people are really worried about high levels of estrogen influencing the sexuality of babies then they should stop drinking milk to begin with. That is LOADED with hormones.

Basically I think the theory is a load of chit. Plain and simple. :wave: