PDA

View Full Version : Dark Spirituality | Lesson Four

Mairwen
March 28th, 2001, 11:41 AM
Sorry this is so late. My life's been a bear lately ...

Now, here's some stuff I'd like all of us to think about and consider ~ do research on, if that's what you need to do! Then come back and let us all know what you found out. :D

Find Gods and Goddesses which fit into each of these categories, and provide descriptions of each {brevity is a virtue, but please be concise as possible}:

Deity as Warrior

Deity of Wisdom/Magick

Deity of Death/The Underworld

Deity of Virility/Sexuality

Deity as Destroyer

Deity of Darkness or Related to Darkness

Deity of as Trickster/Malicious Deities

Mairwen
March 28th, 2001, 11:42 AM
Oh, and please, wherever possible, cite your source. I'm a stickler for that kind of thing. ;)

BrightStar
March 28th, 2001, 02:36 PM
Hi!
Deity as Warrior:I'll go with Ishtar.Akkadian in origin,she was their Goddess of battle and death.She later merged with Inanna when the Akkadians conquered most of ancient Sumer and took on fertility and love aspects.Got my info from Prof Daniel Snell,University of Oklahoma,his lectures in a class entitled History of the ancient near east.
Deity of Wisdom/Magick:Aradia.Tuscan in origin.Although Doreen Valiente said the name might be Celtic.In Witchcraft for Tomorrow she saidthere was a chance the name was connected to airidh,a Celtic word meaning pasture,to which the cattle were driven at Beltaine.She was said to have been daughter of Diana and came to teach the Tuscan Witches the ways of magick and ancient wisdom.She may have been based on an actual person from around the 13th centery CE.I got this info from "The Witches' Goddess" by Janet and Stewart Farrar.
Deity of Death/Underworld:Ereshkigal.Her name means Queen of the Great below.Sumerian/Assyro/Babylonian Goddess of the Underworld.Sister of Ishtar.Envisaged as throned,naked and black haired.Again,from The Witches' Goddess.Also see the thread The descent of Ishtar/Inanna.
Deity of Virility/Sexuality:I went with Eros.Greek God of Love.Although later pictured as a winged child with a bow and arrow,he was originally a God of raw sexual energy to the Phoenicians.I got this from,The Witches' God by Janet and Stewart Farrar.I would also think Aphrodite,Greek Goddess of Love would work here.The word virility made me think of male deities,but sexuality I more easily see as either sex.
Deity as Destroyer:Set.He represented the arid, threatening and destructive power of the Egyptian desert.Murderer of Osiris.Again,from The Witches' God.
Deity as Darkness or related to it:Hecate.Greek Goddess,originally from Thrace.Pictured as living in the underworld.The dark link between Earth and the Underworld.Also a Moon Goddess and a Goddess of magick.Goddes of Crossroads too.Also of the dark mysteries.Is often seen as a triple goddess.Again,from The Witches' Goddess.
Deity as trickster:Loki.From the Nordic pantheon.Very clever and witty,very cunning.Always getting in scrapes and causing mischief.
Peace and Love
Rain BrightStar

Mairwen
March 28th, 2001, 05:22 PM
Hey! Good job! :-)

MoonWolf
March 28th, 2001, 11:28 PM
I have quite a bit of information stocked up in the memory (big mythology buff here).. but unfortunately stuff that i have learned I didn't memorize where I had gotten the info.. usually from a number of sources combined. So please forgive me on this and bare with me :)

Warrior: Mars of course. Before being associated with the Greek Aries he wasn't about blood bath, but rather the very essence the warrior.. brave, honorable, strong. Unlike Aries Mars was often considered to be a positive diety.

Wisdom/Magick: Hekate. She is the illuminator in the dark (which I would take as being partially in link with wisdom), in connection with this is her symbol the torch. she is a goddess of magicks, and if I remember correctly one of her children was Circe. she had another enchantress daughter but i don't recall her name offhand.

Death/Underworld: Dis. Simply put he is the god of the underworld and is death himself.

virility/sexuality: Venus. Born of the testicles of Saturn that were thrown into the sea by Jupiter. she is the embodiment of sexual pleasure and lust. Her beauty and sexuality has many times brought inspiration to artists. One written work that I read hypothesized that Venus/Aphrodite is a later product of the Babylonian Ishtar whoes worship moved north.

Destroyer: Proserpina (Persephone). Every year as she leaves the world of the living to return to the underworld the year also "dies". she takes with her food, warmth.. those things that the living depend on. During her stay in the underworld is a time of hunger and cold and used to be that it would result in many deaths. It would be said that it is actually Demeter doing this things, but my beliefs hold up that these are the one and same goddess with two different faces. but feel free to disagree :)

Darkness/ or related to Darkness: Diana. Born of the womb of Latona (the night), diana is the goddess of the dark night and of the moon. while Dianus is the light she is the dark. She rules all magick with her connection the night and moon. the shadows of the face of the moon are her hunting grounds and souls of people go to the moon to await rebirth.

Trickster: Silvanus. Associated with gods such as Pan and Faunus, silvanus is the trickster woodland god. Before Rome grew to be a great city the forest outside of the city was offlimits because it was sacred to Silvanus. He really isn't malicious, but rather enjoys a good prank. He is similar to what would be considred a wild man. I actually have a rather lengthly report on him that I did for my stregheria class.

MoonWolf

cydira
April 3rd, 2001, 12:00 AM
Please forgive me. I may be telling you the wrong sources because I some times mix up where I get my reaserch. I've been a big mythology buff and I was raised on some of the old myths as my bed time stories as a girl. So please bear with me.

Deity as Warrior
1. God aspect: Odin, Tyr, Thor, and Frey; Mars/Aries; Llew/Lug, Bran; the Horned One
2. Goddess Aspect: Freya, all of the Valkaries, Skuld; Athena/Minerva; the Morrigu, Brigt, Morgan; the Maiden

Deity of Wisdom/Magick
1. God aspect: Odin, Ve, Vod, Villi, Burri (?); Apollo; Bran, Mannwyn, Gwydion, Dylan
2. Goddess aspect: Skuld, Freya, Frigga, Hella (is that the right way to spell it?); Hera/Juno; Aerinhod, Brigt, the Morrigu, Cerdwin (I know I didn't spell that one right :( ); the Crone

1. God aspect: Hod; Hades/Pluto; the Horned One (forgot the name of the celtic deity *blush*)
2. Goddess aspect: Hella, Skuld; Kore/Persephone; the Morrigu (can't see a theme can we?); the Crone

1. God: Frey, Loki (please don't ask); Pan; Cerrunos, Bellenous; the Horned one
2. Goddess: Freya; Aprhrodite/Venus; the Morrigu (please don't be *too* amused), Macha; the Mother

Deity as Destroyer
1. God: Loki, Thor, Tyr; Ares/Mars; Balor (again, please don't ask); the Horned one
2. Goddess: Hella; Hera, Demeter; the Morrigu; Kali; the Crone & the Mother

1. God: Hod
2. Goddess: Nyx

1. God: Loki; Pan; Cyote; the Horned one (trickster); the Wendigo & Balor (both malicious)
2. Goddess: Eris; the Maiden (trickster)

Sources: Bullfinche's Mythology (sorry); Man, Myth & Magic Encyclopedia 7th edition; The Gods of the Celts (forgot who the author is); The Golden Bough by J. G. Frazer; The Witch's God & The Witch's Goddess both by Janet and Stewart Farr; A Treasury of Irish literature (again I forgot the author but if you really want the ISBN # I can get it....); family stories & oral traditon :D

cydira
April 3rd, 2001, 12:04 AM
I didn't think it would be *that* long!

Mairwen
April 4th, 2001, 10:57 AM
*bump!* :D

Don't want to let this get lost in the "Old Thread Office".

Mairwen
April 10th, 2001, 12:07 PM
*bump*

Ooops. It did get lost in the "Old Thread Office". :(

Let's begin again, please!

ELM
April 11th, 2001, 10:58 AM
Sometimes one deity can encompass many things. For example Cerridwen is Goddess of death, and re-birth, magick and wisdom, fertility and sexuality. Her cauldron of abundance is full of possibilities, those who enter it before their time will return blind and dumb so as never to be able to reveal it's secrets. But those who enter at the right time are reborn literally or allegorically. Many of the Celtic deities have such diversity. It is not always possible to reduce them to one 'category'. You think you have a deity sussed and then something about them makes you think again!

Mairwen
April 11th, 2001, 03:53 PM
Yup. I'm in the process of "edumacatin" some people that Kerriden (regardless how you spell her name) is more than just "The Crone". Kerridwen is multi-faceted. To a Gwyddon, she is the All Mother, she who has Nine Faces. She is way more than "just Crone". :D

cydira
April 11th, 2001, 09:38 PM
Actually, it's a couple of why questions.

1. Why is the Crone aspect of the Goddess most commonly associated with Dark Spirituality?
2. Why is sex associated with Dark Spirituality?

There's very few Goddesses that are *not* Crone aspects associated with Dark Spirituality. Do you think there is a reason for this? And how is sex linked with Dark Spirituality? That connection has me a bit confused. I can understand sex being associated because it is an act that usually brings about new life, but are there other reasons?

Aside from that, here's a poem that I wrote a few days ago to describe a Dark aspect of the God. I hope you like it. :D

Stalking hunter
Shadow among the trees
Crowned in seven tines
He follows me
Wild man
Lit by the storm
Haloed by flashing lightning
He chases me
Lord of misrule
King of terrors
He persues me
His haunting song
Enticing a doe
To pause in her flight

Lilu
April 11th, 2001, 10:22 PM
Hi everyone, I seemed to have been away forever, so bear with me here. I've enjoyed everyone's responses so far! These responses are going to go with who I would work with in these phases most likely - and I'll come back with more info if required, but a lot of it's already been covered. When working in a particular "phase" (??? is that the term?) I usually go toward Greek or Celtic - but have many different areas of interest.

Deity as Warrior - Artemis - Greek moon goddess and virgin goddess - Protectress of wild places and wild anima; It was said She was quick to protect and rescue those who appealed to her for help. She was quick to deal out punishment to offenders. - Source: DJ Conway "Maiden, Mother, Crone"

Deity of Wisdom/Magick - I consider Ganesh to be a deity of wisdom, though have never associated him with magick. I would perhaps lean more to Hekate, who is Goddess of many things, including wisdom and magick.

Deity of Death/The Underworld - Greek gods, Hades, and Persephone. Both are of the Underworld.

Deity of Virility/Sexuality - I would have to go with Aphrodite - though I am also drawn to Apollo in the Greek gods. But Aphrodite is the Greek version of the Roman Venus which is mentioned above.

Deity as Destroyer - Kali - I have not worked with her much, but when one speaks of destruction it is Kali who springs to mind.

Deity of Darkness or Related to Darkness - Again, I would go with Hekate - she has an appeal to me and has shown up in my dreams before around this time last year. I associate her with the dark of the moon so to me she is darkness.

Deity of as Trickster/Malicious Deities - I really haven't read much about Tricksters, though I am familiar with Loki of course, of the Norse Pantheon. There is also the Greek god Hermes and can be called on for cunning, good luck, profit, travel, commerce, and communication - I also deal with him in relation to computers and "computer healing" *grin*

lilu

ELM
April 11th, 2001, 10:39 PM
Cydira. In answer to your questions. I think it's like this. Yes the act of sex brings about new life, but then so does winter. Winter is a very dark time when everything dies in order that it can be reborn. When you plant a seed you plant it into the ground, where it is dark, like the womb. Then it grows into the light as a baby passes into the light. Does that make sense?
Anyway, as for the Crone, old age, the winter of one's life=darkness.
Also I think we have to have a different understanding of what darkness is in order to understand these things. I think I've said this before, so If I'm repeating myself I'm sorry. But it is in the darkness that we find what is hidden from us. The wisdom of an old woman is something hidden from us until we ourselves become old. Thus the Crone is dark. Darkness is also the place where things are transformed, sex transforms us, it transforms our state of mind, our physical state, and it may also begin new life as you say.
Any way hope that goes some way to answering your questions.
Blessings.

Mairwen
April 11th, 2001, 10:39 PM
1. Why is the Crone aspect of the Goddess most commonly associated with Dark Spirituality?

Because, the Crone contains the Wisdom of the Ages, things most people would rather not deal with in life ~ reality and all that implies.

Remember, Darkness here does not in any way mean "evil".

2. Why is sex associated with Dark Spirituality?

Now, that's something I'd never pondered before!

ELM
April 11th, 2001, 10:45 PM
What a coincidence posting at the same time and about the same thing. Spooky!

cydira
April 13th, 2001, 10:37 PM
hehehe

Thanks. I was just throwing the questions out because they occured to me just as I was reading through the thread. I'm giving it all some thought also, I haven't reached any coclusions just yet on what I could argue would be a good answer to the sex one, but I can see the logic behind the Crone question. :D

I am learning Sensei. arigato <wonders how badly butchered her pidgin japanese is>

Mairwen
April 13th, 2001, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by ELM
What a coincidence posting at the same time and about the same thing. Spooky!

Now, Elm. There's no such thing as "coincidence".

Synchronicity all the way! :D

cydira
April 19th, 2001, 11:30 PM
Just thought I'd see if anybody else was going to post.

I'm too curious.... that's got to be it. ;)

random
May 6th, 2001, 10:31 PM
well, i'd like to very much involved in this class, but that would mean having been altogether through it.

I have no idea where to start. And I have no information on any Gods or Goddess' .. So, I'm kind of out of luck on snawer questions.

christy
:cool:

Mairwen
May 16th, 2001, 11:38 AM
Please see the new "clearing up confusion" thread at the top of the Gods and Goddesses Forum.

Mairwen
July 18th, 2001, 11:26 PM
*nudge*

loopy
July 19th, 2001, 12:52 AM
I'm just gonna answer first, then go back and read everything... I'm afraid I don't know that much about the Gods...

Deity as Warrior
Athena-- she was born in helmet and robe, ready for battle. To me, pretty much embodies the "I am woman, hear me roar" statement.

Deity of Wisdom/Magick
Aradia-- Italian, said to be a Protectress of Witches, who teaches magick to mortals. To me, just the name brings thoughts of wisdom and magick.

Inanna, who first claimed the Underworld as Her own, and when sentenced to death, nature ceased to grow.

Freya-- called upon in matters of love, was the symbol of sensuality [tm pantheon.org]

Deity as Destroyer
Kali-- Hindi Goddess of destruction, maintaining order and balance.

Hecate-- called the "Dark Mother." She's a triple Goddess, associated with the Dark phase of the Moon, and the Crone.

Erishkigal as a malicious one, although I guess I'd be malicious towards my sister too if she came into my Underworld and claimed it as Her own. Hera as well, for being constantly jealous of Zeus' affairs and working to destroy the children he helped create with other women.

loopy
July 19th, 2001, 12:56 AM
And thanks for the bump. :)

And about sex being associated with Darkness--

I think because over the years, society placed sex in the "forbidden" catergory. It became something to fear, to be disgusted by, something "unpure" and "unholy." It got shoved into the catergory of things people shouldn't speak of, along with darkness and anger, etc. Just my thoughts, anyway.

Spirahl
July 21st, 2001, 09:49 AM
Deity as Warrior:
Alfhild was a Scandianavian maiden goddess who dressed as a warrior to avoid suitors. She was challenged a battle by King Alf, and agreed to wed him only after he proved himself as tough as she.
"North Germanic Mythological Characters" site created by PJCriss

Diety of Wisdom/ Magick:
The Manitou or Great Spirit of the Algonquians. He is associated with all great power that's source is not understood, therefore with magic and mystery.
Gerald Musinsky for "Encyclopedia Mythica"

Diety of Death/ Underworld:
Hades is the Hellenic ruler of the Underworld, and his presence is not wecolme at Elysium. Sometimes seen as blind since he cannot see the happenings of the above-world. Sometimes it is said that he does visit there, but with a helmet that makes him invisible. Best known for the capture of Kore, thus aiding her transormation to Persephone, Goddess of regeneration.
"The Greek Myths" Robert Graves

Diety of Virility/ Sexuality:
Baubo The Belly Goddess or the Goddess of Obsenity from the ancient Greeks. She is headless and has eyes for nipples and her vulva is her mouth. Was more than a fertility goddess. It is the belief that a good off-clour joke, the kind that women can tell when men aren't around, can dispel depression.
"Women Who Dance With The Wolves- Myths and Stories of the Wild Woman Archetype" Clarissa Pinkola Estes, PhD

Diety as Destroyer:
Shiva the Destroyer is known for his destructive and darker aspects, although he has a regenerative aspect too. Part of a triad of great Hindu gods called the Trimurti. Often depicted as having many arms and three eyes, and accompanied by demons.
"Shiva." Encyclopedia Mythica

Diety of Darkness/ Related to:
Hekate is often seen as the crone in the triad of the ancient moon goddess of the ancient Greeks. She is associated with lunacy and the dark mysteries that come from the inner realms. She is also known to gathers ghosts, hounds at side, in graveyards, is a guide to and from the underworld.
Not from one specific written source, just been reading a lot about her lately!

Deity as Trickster:
I was wanting to put Queen Mab, but didn't know how strict the definition of "diety" is here. Loki of the Norse pantheon is often likened to the trickster characters of Native American myth. He is at once sly and malicious, but can act heroicly as well. He is a shape-shifter and can assume many different shapes.
"Loki." Encyclopedia Mythica.

Well, that was fun, learned a few new things. Now I'll read what everyone else turned up, and learn some more. Thanks Mairwen.:)

Mairwen
July 21st, 2001, 02:15 PM
I'll accept Mabd as an answer. :D

loopy
July 21st, 2001, 05:55 PM
Hey, any chance these lessons might continue sometime in the future? :D:D:D:D:D:D:D <--- the brilliant smiles are supposed to entice you. Either that, or stun you into agreement. :D

Shy Hawk
July 22nd, 2001, 08:35 PM
Alright, let's see if I can take a crack at this.

Diety as a Warrior: I see Athena here...I mean c'mon, look at her history. She's involved with several wars of the time, especially the trojan war, though sited there are Minerva. And, born with a helmet on...hehe, ready for battle. Hmm...you can check that stuff at uh...www.pantheon.org I think, but I knew most of that offhand. (cause she's my lady :D)

Diety of Wisdom/Magick: Well, I could say Athena again, because she's a Goddess of Wisdom you know. www.pantheon.org Also, for magick, Ioskeha. This is of the Native American Pantheon. www.pantheon.org

Diety of Death/Underworld: Hades, Lord of the Dead, ruler of the Underworld. www.pantheon.org

Diety of virility/sexuality: Aphrodite...she's the Goddess of love and sexual rapture. Oh and beauty. Her festival is called the aphrodisiac....any other reason nessessary? Also pan, God of unbridled male sexuality...sweet. www.pantheon.org

Diety as Destroyer: Well a good one is Apollo, because one of the things he's a God of is plague. Would you say this is valid? www.pantheon.org

Diety of Darkness: I say Hecate because for one reason I think that hasn't been mentioned, she appears during the black moon...which is uh...darkish...www.pantheon.org

Diety as trickster: Loki....though sometimes malicious aswell as just annoying guy...lol Of the Norse pantheon. I couldn't find a Greek trickster though...www.pantheon.org

mol
July 26th, 2001, 09:26 AM
This class looks great...keep up the great discussion everyone!

Faery-Wings
July 26th, 2001, 10:49 AM
I haven't read through other answers yet, I wanted to see if I could come up with som eon my own. If my kids weren' fighting inthe background, I could have spent hours looking these up. Ok, here goes...Oh yeah, I got these from http://www.cybercomm.net/~grandpa/gdsindex.html

Deity as Warrior : Skanda, 6 headed son of Shiva; The Morrigan; Athena

Deity of Wisdom/Magick : Adsagona Celtic Goddess of Underworld and Magic; Carmen (Irish) Evil Magic

Deity of Death/The Underworld ; Cernunnos, Underowld and Animals; Hel (Norse) Goddess of the Dead

Deity of Virility/Sexuality Lillith? as she steals semen to get pg; Aphrodite/Venus, Cupid/Eros, Freya (Norse) Goddess of Love, sex, magic, fertility and beauty

Deity as Destroyer Shiva and Kali, The Furies? Sekhmet

Deity of Darkness or Related to Darkness Donar (Germanic) God of Sky and thunder Nott (Norse) Goddess of Night

Deity of as Trickster/Malicious Deities Loki (Norse) God of Fire and Chaos, Pan possibly

:)

bloodstone20
July 26th, 2001, 11:01 AM
Heres my list:
Deity as Warrior - hmm. Athena, or Aries would fit her.

Deity of Wisdom/Magick - Hekate, no doubt about it.

Deity of Death/The Underworld - Persephone or Hades.

Deity of Virility/Sexuality - Eros or Aphrodite

Deity as Destroyer - Shiva

Deity of Darkness or Related to Darkness - Hekate again, also Nyx ( the night )

Deity of as Trickster/Malicious Deities - Loki, and maybe Eros. He seems sorta little 10 year old that knows about sex kinda, when I mediate on him. Only sometine tho.