PDA

View Full Version : POV question

argento_occhi
February 10th, 2006, 02:19 PM
OK, I figured this was as good a place as any to post this. I gots a question. Sorry if this seems kinda long, but it's a complicated question. Sort of.

Anyway, I've got this 170-page long fanfic I'm writing. Ok, fair enough. It was originally all written in third person. Then, one of the characters decided to grow into an adult so 15 years later, the story is being retold to him. Fair enough, that makes sense, right? He was only three or so when the main plot happened. Brain went, "what happens when he grows up?'

So my brain, in what was possibly a stupid decision, decided that third person wasn't enough. I'd have to delve into first person when the story's actually being retold. And we'll complicate things by having more than one person retelling it.

So, having got about 50 pages into the story changing it from third to first person where necessary, I'm still not sure if this is really the way to go, so I thought I'd ask all you other people here.

This has just been bugging me for so long. It works, as far as I've gotten with it, but there's several parts that don't seem to have been taken by anyone, so I don't know who's telling them. They're not exactly straightforward bits to tell, but I keep seeing more than one person telling it, which just makes my head hurt.

So this has me wondering if it's really the best way to go with this, third person for all the "present tense" bits and first person for the retelling. It seemed like a good idea at the time, now I'm not so sure. I suppose I'm just wondering if you all think I'm doing the right thing with this or whether I'm completely crazy. Thoughts and suggestions will be appreciated.

To keep with the whole PG-ish nature of the board, I'm not revealing much about the plot. It's a kind of horror-fantasy-fanfiction-etc kinda story, rather dark, actually. So yeah. Oh, and sorry for the long-winded explanation. I'll stop talking now.

senebty,
Argent