PDA

View Full Version : Sick puppy

aislin_ryann
February 10th, 2006, 04:39 PM
My puppy, Chloe, has had really bad tummy problems since Tuesday. She has had diareah (sp?) and has been vomiting. We have kept her hydrated with water and ice cubes. The vet said it isn't anything to worry about, but I am worried. He said there is no infection and chances are she has eaten something she shouldn't have (she loves to try and eat wolf spiders-we try to get them from her when we see she has one, but we can't watch her while we are at work or asleep!) or she has a tummy bug. We have tried white rice, she wouldn't eat it. Chloe will normally eat anything you give her, but she wouldn't touch the rice. She has eaten some bread and that kind of helped with the vomiting. We gave her pepto with peanut butter (it was the only way she would take it). But she is still pooping alot and it is still really watery and soft. Any ideas what to do?

Catiana
February 10th, 2006, 04:58 PM
That's a long time for her to be sick like that, maybe a second opinion from a different vet would be good idea.

halfwaynowhere
February 10th, 2006, 05:17 PM
i think a second opinion would be a good idea... we have had sick cats like that, and the vet our rescue works with accused us of poisoning them. finally we took them to a different vet, and they got better... even if it turns out that she just ate something bad, the vet could give a medication that will help relieve the symptoms, i can think of a few off the top of my head that would help with the diarrhea, and maybe even the vomitting... but it sounds like she's feeling yucky, so i hope she feels better soon... good luck!

oh, another thing, you can give her the clear pedialyte in place of water, especially since she's not eating much, it helps keep other stuff in her system... i know it tastes horrible, but i haven't had any problems with getting critters to drink that if i put it in their water bowl... Caro syrup on her nose will make her want to drink more water, too... she'll lick it off, and then get thirsty because its sticky... hmm... i can't think of any foods that might help with the pooping, except for rice... if i can think of anything else, i'll let you know...

Felidae
February 10th, 2006, 05:19 PM
I agree with Catiana. That's an awful long time.

When our dog Dru was a bit younger one of the cats pushed an entire tin of gingerbread off the table and onto the floor. Dru didn't eat it all but she ate a lot and was pretty sick, so I tried giving her a few spoonfulls of store-brand Vanilla Yogurt (it's pretty plain). She lapped it up and It seemed to help.

aislin_ryann
February 10th, 2006, 05:19 PM
Thanks. I am hoping she is better when I get home from work tonight, if not, I am taking her to a different vet down the street.

Sun Sprite
February 10th, 2006, 06:11 PM
Please get a second, opinion. Not sure about your puppies age, but some illnesses have to have more than one booster before the puppy is protected. Time is of the esseance when a puppy is vomiting an dirahea. I can understand a vet saying don't break the speed limit getting her in, but other than that, she needs care.

Better days,
Sun Sprite

chrestomancie
February 11th, 2006, 03:28 AM
Only for short term use, pepto bismo can be given to settle the stomach. I give my 9 pound dog 3 ccs after she vomits - each time. I pull an acidopholus capsule apart and mix with the pepto. I also use imodium to help with diarrhea and use 1-2 ccs with the pepto. Of course, this is again only for short term use - like one day. Glad someone already suggested the pedialye. It is a great replacement. If the puppy is becoming dehydrated she will need sub q (under the skin) fluids.

I also only use this remedy if I am positive my dogs have gotten into nothing and they just have a sick belly which they have from time to time.

If the puppy is still vomiting - you need to get another vet opinion. Vomiting for that long is a very bad sign. The vet should draw labs and see what all is out of whack and he should be able to show you how to give the sub q fluids. I'm not a big one on I'Vs unless all other choices have been eliminated because that means I have to leave the animal at the vet's and I rarely do that. My spays even come home same day.

aislin_ryann
February 13th, 2006, 11:29 AM
Hey guys, I call another vet and spoke with her. She gave us a few ideas and by Saturday, Chloe was up running around and acting like herself again! She has been eating rice and hamburger for the weekend, but this morning she ate a good amount of her dog food and has kept it down and hasn't been as poopy! And it is solid again. Happy to say, Chloe is on the up and up! I was so worried about her.

Catiana
February 13th, 2006, 12:06 PM
Glad she's feeling better. :hugz: for Chloe

halfwaynowhere
February 13th, 2006, 02:31 PM
yay! i'm glad she's doing better, sick critters can cause much anxiety.

chrestomancie
February 17th, 2006, 01:23 AM
That's great!!! Puppies can cause so much worry. It's great when they feel good!