PDA

View Full Version : Operation Mind****: An explanation*

Cain
February 14th, 2006, 07:55 AM
Operation Mind****: An Explanation

This is an important and relatively well known practice within the Discordian Society. OM is essentially based around the premise that the only move an opponent cannot predict is a totally random one. With that in mind, OM allows Discordians to carry out a wide ranged campaign of civil disobedience, activism, systems disruption, sabotage and acts of High Weirdness in order to shake up the dominant paradigm.

OM was instigated by the Zenarchist Ho Chi Zen of the Erisian Liberation Front, who may also be known by the names Kerry Thornely and Lord Omar Khayyam Ravenhurst, however it gets it first mention in the Illuminatus! Trilogy, probably due to the idea sharing between RAW and Thornely before it was written. To this day, no single Discordian knows how many are involved in OM, due to its decentralized nature. People drop in and drop out as they feel free to. Even if someone could figure out who was involved, it would be impossible to tell what they were doing as part of the campaign. The only safe assumption is that anything a Discordian does is somehow related to OM, but, since this leads directly to paranoia, this is not a "safe" assumption after all, and the "risky" hypothesis that whatever the Discordians are doing is harmless may be "safer" in the long run, perhaps.

Annoying, isn't it?

OM is viewed differently by many Discordians. Some see it as a way to break people out of societal conditioning, that by doing something so weird and inexplicable all preprepared answers are unavailable for the target/victim, others see it as a way of getting their fun in before the hammer comes down.

Virtually any action can be part of OM, as effects are what matter. Acts of guerrilla ontology and trolling are the most common, though it can be anything from destructive acts involving toilets (you know who you are), to fake signs(Your Local Police Are Armed and Dangerous; Legalize Free-Enterprise Murder: Why Should Governments Have All The Fun?; Smash the Government Postal Monopoly; If Voting Could Change the System, It Would Be Against the Law; etc) , to improvised acts of pure randomness on the streets to inventing fictitious organizations (and inducting politicians in them against their will) or spreading false rumours and conspiracy theories. It needn't be very complicated, as with the Wing nut example in the Apocrypha Discordia, or it can go up to nearly stopping major sporting events (I was SO close).

The exemplar of OM for many Discordians is the character Markoff Chaney. He is a character in the Illuminatus! Trilogy, a misanthropic dwarf who carries his own campaign out against the Illuminati by his use of changes signs renamed “The Mgt” (for management, although it also means “midget” in reference to his size) and becomes the random factor in the equations of everyone from the Illuminati to the Legion of Dynamic Discord and ELF.

*Obviously its not actually called this (check the word filter if dont already know. Here is a clue, its a 4 letter word that starts with an f and ends in uck.), however, some people seem to think that such language may hurt peoples feelings or offend them. Like the Subgenii have said "what do you want us to say, "kiss them if they can't take a joke?" But such is life, it seems.

Little Billy
February 14th, 2006, 06:32 PM
*Obviously its not actually called this (check the word filter if dont already know. Here is a clue, its a 4 letter word that starts with an f and ends in uck.), however, some people seem to think that such language may hurt peoples feelings or offend them. Like the Subgenii have said "what do you want us to say, "kiss them if they can't take a joke?" But such is life, it seems.

Well, the problem with profanity is that people over-use it.

Used properly, it gives a form of release that even prayer can't touch.

Doctor Jeep
June 30th, 2006, 08:34 PM
I've just been reading about OM and Jakes and thought I'd see if anyone had posted about it here. 'Lo and behold. :D

I'm beginning to suspect there's a bit of Discordian in me after all...

Vincent Verthaine
July 1st, 2006, 04:29 AM
I've just been reading about OM and Jakes and thought I'd see if anyone had posted about it here. 'Lo and behold. :D

I'm beginning to suspect there's a bit of Discordian in me after all...
Theres a little bit of discordianism in everyone.
we're humans after all.
Of All of Eris' creatures on Earth,we as a species cause the most chaos,confusion,and strive.
We're her favourites.

Carefull D.J.

Once you let Eris into your life,you're in for a hell of a ride.
I've been on this ride for over 40 years.
And I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Eris has always been my rock.And she'a beaten me upside the head with it a number of time.
But you know what,I deserved it at the time.

No matter what chaos,confusion,and strive I've faced,she was always there with me facing it also.
No matter how hard it got,she never abandoned me.
I am still on this earth because I have been able to over come everything that came my way.
I may have been bloodied and bruised.
But I am still alive.

from the Book of Eris
http://www.verthaine.sphosting.com/vv.html

Footprints in the Sand
...the Discordian version
I dreamed that I was walking down the beach with the Goddess. And I looked back and saw footprints in the sand. But sometimes there were two pairs of footprints and sometimes there was only one. And the times there was only one set of footprints, those were my times of greatest trouble. So I asked the Goddess,
"Why in my greatest need did you abandon me?"
She replied, "I never left you. Those were the times we both hopped on one foot."
And I was really embarassed for bothering Her with such a stupid question.

Hail Eris,and thank you.

Doctor Jeep
July 1st, 2006, 04:18 PM
Carefull D.J.

Once you let Eris into your life,you're in for a hell of a ride.

I'm beginning to see that.

Thanks for that PDF of the BOE on your site, by the way. :D

Deranged Hermit
July 1st, 2006, 04:36 PM
Is this the kind of thing that results in people giving you a very wide berth whenever you go out in public? :huh:

Vincent Verthaine
July 2nd, 2006, 02:34 AM
Is this the kind of thing that results in people giving you a very wide berth whenever you go out in public? :huh:

Not at all.
it's gotten me laid by quite a lot of fine women (chicks dig rebels) and keeps me and my peeps out of real trouble actually.
My friends know that when we are hanging out together,and I get the 'feeling' and say it's time to go,they've learn to listen.
My friends and I have managed to avoid two shoot outs,a murder,and 4 police raids because of my chaos sense. Getting in to trouble is easy for erisians,getting out takes skill.
And I am a master.

How do you think a fast living,head banging,hard drinking,pot smoking,fun loving,hell raising 43 year old black man like me hasn;t gotten himself killed or thrown in jail.(the worse i've ever had to deal with was 2 days in central lock-up).
Eris takes care of her own.

Deranged Hermit
July 2nd, 2006, 07:52 AM
Well crap, apparently I've been doing it wrong so far, then. :sadman:

Vincent Verthaine
July 2nd, 2006, 03:42 PM
Well crap, apparently I've been doing it wrong so far, then. :sadman:

There are really two types of discordians
Most discordians that people encounter are usually what we call Legionaires.
They are part of the Legion of Dynamic Discord (LDD for Short)

The other Type are the Eristocracy.

Usually Legionaires aret the type who first picks up the Principia Discordia,reads it once,and decide that all there is to being a discordian is to run around all day screaming "fnord" and acting stupid and obnoxious.
The letters LDD can also stand for "Lotsa Deluded Dopes".

Eristocrats know better.

If they can survive long enough without getting themselves totally shunned by society,thrown in jail,into a mental intitute,or killed,Legionnaires generally wise up(or not) and become one of the Eristocracy.

We Eristocrats love having Legionniares around,because everyone focuses on what they are doing,and don't see the stuff we Eristocrats are doing.
We also call Legionaires "cannon-foddder" or "marks".

The Discordian Society is a very dawinistic one.

The Eristocracy are the ones that create new Holy Books,rants,successful jakes,and actively engage in O:MFs.

Remember,Legionnaires are the guys who streak through a gollege graduation ceremony.
Eristocrats are the ones that talked them into doing it.

Deranged Hermit
July 2nd, 2006, 07:45 PM
Oh, I see now! Thanks for the clarification. I'm perfectly content being an LDD, at least for the time being. :hahugh: :doh2:
But I still want my tornado generator.

Vincent Verthaine
July 3rd, 2006, 12:52 AM
Oh, I see now! Thanks for the clarification. I'm perfectly content being an LDD, at least for the time being. :hahugh: :doh2:
But I still want my tornado generator.
Ever try to build one.You never know...:whatgives

eldora_avalon
July 5th, 2006, 10:21 PM
<whispers>
if you build it, we will come
</whispers>

Little Billy
July 7th, 2006, 01:20 AM
<whispers>
if you build it, we will come
</whispers>

Oh, HELL YES!

I bet if you stapled my hands to the yoke, I could hang glide through one of those buggers.

LIAL
August 4th, 2006, 07:56 PM

Not if you stay under the radar.

The point of OM is not to draw attention to yourself.

LIAL
August 4th, 2006, 07:57 PM
Also, there are probably way more than 2 types of discordians.