PDA

View Full Version : HELP! I have to arrange a book signing!!

Twig
February 15th, 2006, 03:42 AM
:doh2: :foh: Oh holy CRAP!

:fpraise: Oh great Authors and Bards this illiterate hayseed has been given a task and if I.B. will stop giggling I would beg your help. ;)

I joined the AODA recently and I guess stuck my foot deep in it when my Arch-Druid J.M. Greer posted last night that he was coming to Portland and was there somewhere that a book signing might be done?

Up steps Twig with "Suuuuuure The biggest in the world! Powells Books, they have authors through all the time!"

Little did I expect to get home to find a message saying "Cool do it!" {paraphrased (I guess that'll teach me to challenge the first degree in the Order, aye?)

:awilly: Excuse the language but I know dick about mediating something like that and any advise will help.

Peace,
Twig
:nicetie: Scared little newbie guy again. :)

Yasmine Galenorn
February 15th, 2006, 12:13 PM
Oh Twig, I hope for your sake they're better about it then they were years ago. When I was still only published in nonfiction, I tried to get into Powell's several times and was told bluntly they didn't invite authors who wrote 'my kind' of books, meaning metaphysical. Even though they SOLD them, they wouldn't have come speak (things may be different now, this was a number of years back). This year, I'll be down there at the Beaverton Powell's to discuss my mysteries, however.

What you need to do is talk to the Events Coordinator. Don't just go in, call and get the name of the EC from customer service. Write it down so later on you don't spell their name wrong when you send in info.

Then call the EC and ask if you can discuss setting up a booksigning for an author and what they need from you. They'll either ask who it is and say 'no' right away (or 'yes' if it's somebody with a huge name), or they'll probably ask for a press kit, meaning they'll want to see a nicely arranged folder of information which includes things like fliers, book covers, reviews, etc..

Smaller shops usually don't ask for that as much--sometimes just chatting to the events coordinator will do, but when you're trying to break into the bigger stores--like Powells and other chains--they almost always ask for a press kit. Make sure what you put together looks professional and not homemade. My agent took a look at my press kit and bluntly told me, 'You can do a lot better to represent where you are at this point.'

Good luck,
Yasmine :colorful:

Twig
February 15th, 2006, 12:57 PM
Hi!

(Bowing)M'Lady it's been way too long since we conversed and I take full blame for it. But hey I did pretty good in getting the druid forum here going I think. :D Heh you mentioned long before that my purpose was "fluid". The waters flow swifter yet at every turn, as do yours I see. :) Cool, when do we get a break? :lol:

40 days to do this. Sure why not? I might slip it in under the wire for the next catalog.

I though about what you said about Powells and it occured that a long time employee of New Renaissance on 23rd and Pettygrove was my last next door neighbor! Thats the main wiccan, Pagan, NA center here. THATS where it could be done. I'll talk to them in 5 mins.!

www.newrenbooks.com

Would you like to know what I find out....should I mention you to them? I'd be happy to being I'm going there any way. Contact me...then smack me upside the head for thinking Ya'll are too busy to deal with this.

_pounce_ Thanks. You took down the stress level a degree or 2. Let me know if you want me to initiate contact with them!

Peace,
Bro. Twig Ooops :cheers:

DebLipp
February 15th, 2006, 03:38 PM
Also, make sure to get plenty of people from the local community to show up. Make phone calls, send emails. This gives the bookstore an excellent impression, and they will be more likely to continue to stock the books and invite the author back for a future release. Don't count on the bookstore to do anything.

Fyre_Nymph
February 15th, 2006, 07:07 PM
Yeah, bookstores can be wonderful some days, but not all that great when it comes to something like that. Go thru the address book, twiggy, invite everyone and anyone you know, knew, met in a past life, joined the Mafia with, went to the prom with in Highschool. DON'T LEAVE ANYONE OUT! (oh, and make sure the pen you bring works before you decide to bring it. Many a time I have been stranded becasue the pen won't work.

But, that's my twqo cents on it. Good luck! ^.^

Yasmine Galenorn
February 16th, 2006, 12:17 AM
Hi!

(Bowing)M'Lady it's been way too long since we conversed and I take full blame for it. But hey I did pretty good in getting the druid forum here going I think. :D Heh you mentioned long before that my purpose was "fluid". The waters flow swifter yet at every turn, as do yours I see. :) Cool, when do we get a break? :lol:

40 days to do this. Sure why not? I might slip it in under the wire for the next catalog.

I though about what you said about Powells and it occured that a long time employee of New Renaissance on 23rd and Pettygrove was my last next door neighbor! Thats the main wiccan, Pagan, NA center here. THATS where it could be done. I'll talk to them in 5 mins.!

www.newrenbooks.com (http://www.newrenbooks.com)

Would you like to know what I find out....should I mention you to them? I'd be happy to being I'm going there any way. Contact me...then smack me upside the head for thinking Ya'll are too busy to deal with this.

_pounce_ Thanks. You took down the stress level a degree or 2. Let me know if you want me to initiate contact with them!

Peace,
Bro. Twig Ooops :cheers:

Thanks Twig--you're a sweetie to offer. Thing is, I only do events focused around my fiction anymore. I'll sign my NF if it's there too, but my writing is solely focused on fiction now and I don't know if that would be up their alley. Any workshops I give are focused on writing rather than magic anymore.

BTW: Deb's right--don't expect any help from the bookstores. It's seldom forthcoming and I've seen so little promo from most bookstores that it wasn't worth my time to go there unless I knew I could drum up an audience through my own contacts.

Yasmine :colorful: