PDA

View Full Version : The element of Earth seems to contradict itself.

The Suckling
January 7th, 2002, 08:45 PM
The qualities of earth are supposedly orientation to the five senses and the physical world, that which is tanglible and visible, but at the same time it's supposed to deal with property and money?

The later things are far from physical. Money and ownership are things that humans made up, and they only exist if people agree they do.

Could someone explain this?

talamh
January 7th, 2002, 09:39 PM
If property and money aren't part of the physical/material world, i don't know what is. We can have differing philosophical takes on what they mean and what importance they have... but they do very much exist and we do have to come to terms with them.

Put it another way.... are property and money water, fire or air? Not that i can see..... or feel.

The part of earth that i keep having to work on is that while earth is generally said to be "feminine", to me earth is very much the God as much as the Goddess. Can you think of the GreenGod and *not* think of earth? i know traditionally it is "Mother Earth, Father Sky" but that is so close to the patriarchal Sky God and the woman-as-passive/receptive-vessel stuff that has led to so much gender inequality.

Has anyone every call upon Father Earth? The sperm is as essential as the egg.. and just as physical.

And while i'm on a rant.. what's with this male seed thing? Men don't have "seed". The seed is the egg, and women/feminine/female of the species has the egg.
bb talamh

mol
January 14th, 2002, 12:22 PM
We make a lot of things up.

That doesnt make them any less part of this World than anything else. Even Moeny and property.

The Suckling
January 22nd, 2002, 04:37 PM
I think I understand now. Thanks guys.

manstranger
January 24th, 2002, 06:42 PM
Just to throw in my two cents:

Money, fertility, and ownership are all things that are physical that represent something non-material. Value, life, and dominance.

mol
January 29th, 2002, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by manstranger
Just to throw in my two cents:

Money, fertility, and ownership are all things that are physical that represent something non-material. Value, life, and dominance.

And give us something non-material for instance...

5targazer
February 24th, 2002, 12:39 AM
Money is a manifestation of a tangible form of energy, exchanged between those who DO agree on its worth.

Earth signs do need tangible things in order to organize and better assess with their senses this is the way in which they perceive life.

hope that helps in any way

Myst
February 25th, 2002, 09:13 PM
I just saw this thread get bumped up and was surprised - talamh is there *anything* you won't turn into a discussion of women's inequality?