PDA

View Full Version : Incorporating Buddism, Witchcraft or Wiccan with Hinduism?

Ambience
March 3rd, 2006, 01:14 PM
Is this even possible. I deeply belive in the moral code that the buddha teaches. I love the idea of worshipping deities, gods and goddesses. I practice runes, magick, tarot, meditation, prayer and gratitude daily. I also practice crystal divination, mediumship and reiki healing, which is derived from buddism.

I would like to know what would be the possibility of incorporating all three regligions together?

Thanks,
Much love & Light, Janey xx

Shanti
March 3rd, 2006, 02:54 PM
Yes you can.
When it comes to beliefs you can do what ever your heart says is right for you.
People write rules, spirit doesnt!
Following your own heart matters a heck of a lot more than following the crowd.

brymble
March 6th, 2006, 11:41 PM
sounds like the "unofficial official religion" of woodstock, ny. it seems many people in that town combine buddhism and hinduism with their personal faiths, and most of the pagans there did just as you describe. it's not uncommon, and i wouldn't worry about "validity".

right now i am one of about 5 people in the town where i live now who is not baptist. gods, i miss the catskills!

edited to add that i posted this before the thread on the missouri resolution. i don't like the words "unofficial official" even in jest at this point. what i meant to convey is that combined faiths - especially buddhism, which is the popular faith in the town, and hindusim - are so common there the whole town is saturated with mixed spirituality.

Darkwater Stone
March 7th, 2006, 09:57 PM
I believe that there is nothing wrong with it, as long as the philosophies you follow all flow together and fit well to you. It's all about comfort.

BenSt
March 8th, 2006, 04:54 PM
Well, I would be a bit more critical when it coems to mixing paths. I do it, but I am very careful about it. You see the problem of mixing Wicca and Buddhism and Hinduism is the basic philosophies.

Wicca is dervied, or atleast soem parts of it from the eastern rleigions. The history of the transference of ideas is indirect but still there, so in many ways Wicca is a watered down version of eastern thought, to some degee. Other ways it is quite strong. I myself like to think of the Pagan emphasis on the Goddess as merely a form of Shakti worship. I think in some ways Wicca is a cultural thing more than a spiritual thing and that many spiritual forms such as religions or philosophies cater more to culture than anything else. Wicca though becasue many of it's concepts are quite transferable can mix well with a viariety of different forms, mainly becasue it has very weak concepts of a vague feeling.

Buddhism and Hinduism on the other hand are a litle more dificult to bring together. On a skin deep level, they are almost polar opposites. The Buddha believed in one's own ability for salvation...Hindus are taught that it is by love of God or fulfillment of Dharma (predetermined before birth) that leads to Salvation. Buddhism does not believe in Gods, although there are Gods in Buddhism. The focus of a teacher is paramount but not absolute in Buddhism. There is also the problem of messages...I mean underneath it all Buddhism and Hinduism are very similar in some ways but in others completly uncombinable.

In my own practice, ive found it useful to study a lot, and to never cross traditional practices. In my rituals I never use Hindu or Wiccan elements becasue to me it's disrespectful to the religion. I worship predominantly Hindu Gods but I also have a few forms of Gautama Buddha on my alter. I would never call myself a Hindu Wiccan or a Buddhist Witch or what have you...merely out of respect for all three traditions. Blah that was my ramble lol.

Namaste

Tobias

Cerulean_damselfly
March 18th, 2006, 08:46 PM
This is an interesting question to me. At home, traditionally, by background, I could say I'm Japanese and Shinto...but in the modern West where I work and live, the community that closest works with my interests is Western wicca. I believe there can be a peaceable co-existance...

And the most kind teachers that I know say yes, in my home, the Eastern space and background brings richness to what I may eventually contribute to a Western wiccan community. But in circle with them, of course I am learning the best way to blend harmonious respect for their ways...They actually recommend many resources that I've already been attracted to in studying old European history, so I've somehow been used to bridging the interaction already.

I have a suggestion that might assist you...

Historically, in terms of Eastern pantheons, the cross-currents of Hindu and Buddhism have also merged in some places--perhaps this might be of assistance. If you know of a deity that is very attractive to you, her/his face and aspects may have been over time been merged.

One thing that I did find out--in researching the enshrinement of Benten at the Enoshima, she was invited and prayed by a clan leader in the 1140's--she is known to have been from the Hindu pantheon. Her presence at the Southern end of the prefecture of my father's family...and the fact I've always been attracted to Lacafadio Hearn's description of the prefecture of my great grandparents time...

http://www.yamasa.org/japan/english/destinations/kanagawa/enoshima.html

http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~qm9t-kndu/enoshima.htm

Now this is a Shinto shrine and Shintoism has traditionally been able to incorporate Buddhist elements and blends. What I did not know until I researched it, is Benten/Uzume also originated from Hindu elements as well. If I were to suggest a practise to incorporate blends, having Shinto in my cultural background does work for me. But I do approach my home practises from this path and how Benten looks in my reflective art and studies is more Japanese than her original Hindu sources.

For me, it was settling on a deity that I knew spoke to me from a young age. We danced as young ones, my cousin and myself, with the blessing of our grandparents and mothers, to the ancestors on appropriate days. Benten in folklore was a patron of dancing and singing and festiveness...

Ah, but I did not know until today, when I dance or sing again to Benten and such ancestors, it will also be for the mother of my cousin...we will sing also to the beloved aunt has also joined them...

May your practises bring you joy in living,

Cerulean_damselfly

Snapdragon
March 18th, 2006, 09:56 PM
Ambience, Sha'can is a religious tradition centered upon worship of the "dark" goddesses, especially Kali. It explicitly appeals to people coming to Her from both Wiccan/pagan and Hindu directions. You might want to check it out: www.maabatakali.org

Blessed Be

bhaktiman
April 23rd, 2006, 11:59 PM
Here are some resources for those interested in the connection between Wicca and Hindu deities:

The Indo Pagan Project (http://indopaganproject.tripod.com/)

Shakti Wicca (http://shaktiwicca.tripod.com/index.html)

Bhakti Wicca (http://www.bhaktiwicca.org/)

Samkhya Wicca (http://samkhyawicca.50megs.com/)

For myself, I worship Sri Sri Radha Krishna with all of these essentials of bhakti (japa, prasadam, bhajans, kirtan, simple aarti) within the framework of neo-paganism (casting the circle, calling the quarters, invoking the Lord and Lady). I do not call it Wicca though because while I celebrate the solstices and equinoxes - my view of the rest of the Wheel of the Year is not within the Wiccan framework at this point (so perhaps later when I have reconciled that aspect). I do not believe in a "purist" interpretation of Wicca anyways as Wicca was originally cobbled together by Gardner from an eclectic blend of beliefs and practices from a variety of cultural sources anyways.

Nacken
April 25th, 2006, 05:10 AM
When you just take a bunch of Hinduism, add some Buddhism, a dash or Reiki, and flavour it with Wicca that's fine. But don't say that it is another form of Wicca. Not everyone agrees as to what consititutes every aspect of Wicca, but there are centain core beliefs.
If you took a bunch of Hinduism, added some Buddhism, a dash of Reiki and flavour it with Christianity, you could do that. But if you called it another form of Christianity while denying core Christian beliefs you would piss a lot of people off or at least they would deny that you were Christian.
At best you might make up a name and classify it as a form of Neo-paganism. But when you lift portions from one system and add it to another, the parts may not mesh very well. It might be like trying to fit parts of a Dell onto a Mac. They might bothe be good machines, but they don't fit together. So if you borrow, borrow intelligently.

bhaktiman
May 4th, 2006, 11:15 PM
:lol:

Wicca was CREATED/INVENTED by Gerald Gardner stealing/borrowing from various sources including Freemasonry, Golden Dawn, some folk customs of the British Isles, some watered down Eastern spirituality. Therefore, I always find the Wiccan purist/fundamentalist argument to be "interesting" to say the least.