PDA

View Full Version : Origin of Wicca : A Primer

Myst
January 10th, 2002, 12:25 PM
An essential read - http://www.angelfire.com/nt/dragon9/MAGICKADD.html

kittiepoetrygod
January 13th, 2002, 12:09 AM
I'll have to show this to some of the "Wiccans" at my school, who, in the study of the God and Goddess through Silver and Scott, completely forgot to study the History of Wicca.

A few coments:

Gardner was homophobic? Yet encouraged all nude worship. Hmmm.

Yay for Sanders, for making the God and Goddess equal.

Did Doreen make the Goddess more powerful? I didn't see that part.

Ain't that the truth. (about some Trad. Wiccans being condecesending.

Please. There must be someone in that order that let all the Gardnerian "secrets" out of the bag. The real way to find out: ask an Alexandrian. Jk. I thought it was funny, at least.

Crowley sounds pretty cool. In truth though, for most in todays culture, i think that High Magick is not for. Most Witches today, or so it seems to me, seek harmony with nature. Some of the other groups mentioned seemed to want to transcend nature, imo. And that just doesn't seem like it would be popular, imo.

Now that i've bored you...

Myst
January 13th, 2002, 10:45 AM
You haven't bored me and thanks for responding. I'm glad you got so much from the article.

I agree with most of what you said, in particular the comment on high magic. Out of the thousands of people here at MW I can think of two or three who I've seen talk about it at all. I think it's partially about the ego thing and also because ceremonial magic requires a lot more work and studying. Not that other types of magic don't, but you won't find a lot of people who are into reading about the kabbalah and alchemical manuscripts and dozens of different mythological systems and beliefs. Then there's the fact that some of it is so precise - you can't just light a candle and expect your magic to work with high magic.

kittiepoetrygod
January 13th, 2002, 11:20 AM
Yeah, that much is true about High Magick. I think ... well, i can't really say any more. You've said most of it. Its not that high magick is to much work for todays culture ... I think that most could handle the work load ... but i also think that most don't have the devotion it would take. And are happy at their current magickal levels. I think that a discussion about high and low magick would to kinda neat in M&R. I'll go see if theres any already going.

amberlaine
January 18th, 2002, 12:19 PM
On high magic:

I just wanted to add my thought on the matter. Another reason you don't hear a lot of flks talking about it here at MW is because there are sooo many people here, it's hard to have a serious conversation about something so nebulous when in a free for all forum. Everyone has the right to make a comment, or voice an opinion, and a lot of us who practice some form of high magic don't necessarily want to hear the opinions of people who don't practice it and don't really know what it is. So high magic tends to find its own niches, very small communities where the subject can be addressed in a somewhat clandestine mannner, if for no other reason than to satisfy their own intellect and egos (and high magicians tend to have large egos!)

Danustouch
January 18th, 2002, 01:05 PM
Amberlaine...

Glad SOMEONE said it.....lol..Just kidding.

Myst
January 18th, 2002, 02:30 PM
Very very true.