PDA

View Full Version : If Shakti Is The Female Aspect Of

Dustypuppy
March 9th, 2006, 10:16 AM
The life force, what is the male generally known as?

BenSt
March 9th, 2006, 12:00 PM
Shakta...

Well, its more complex than that. It's also known as Ishvara... all sorts of names. :)

Namaste

Tobias

Darkwater Stone
March 9th, 2006, 05:02 PM
I was wondering this also. Thank you for the thread and answer.

Paracelsus
March 10th, 2006, 02:18 AM
In many tantric traditions, the male energy that is the counterpart to the Shakti, particularly within the body is Shiva.
It is important to differentiated between the general feminine divine principal of Shakti, that can be manifested in any goddess, and indeed empowers the Gods, none of whom may be considered (in this particular viewpoint) whole, without "his" shakti (i.e. "his" power - which is somehow understood as separate from him), and the specific Goddess Shakti who is a consort of Shiva. Of course, the joy of Hnduism is that, even while making this important comparison, on another level, they are both the same...

BenSt
March 11th, 2006, 03:24 AM
In so many different ways...

One of my most favourite and most interesting comparisons is looking at the female forms of so called 'male' deities. A story coems to mind...it's to do with the birth of the southern Tamil God Ayyappan. There was a powerful demon that rose to power, who in some traditions stole the sacred elixer of Amrit. In the despair of the Gods Vishnu took a female avatar called Mohini to woo the demons and steal back the Amrit. When the Amrit was taken back, Shiva saw Mohini and became so lustful he chased her all over the universe, not seeing that she was actually Vishnu. He and Mohini joined in sex and Ayyappan was born from the union. In this way the two male devas, the main Gurus of two of the most powerful sects in all of the Hindu world shows the joining of two very impoirtant aspects of the universe....usually symbolized as masculine.

I thought I would add that into the mix *shrugs* :)

Tobias