PDA

View Full Version : Woodcrafting supplies?

s1ren
January 11th, 2002, 04:33 PM
My little box of magic stuff broke!!

I want to make a new one, but instead of another plastic one from e-bay (like the old one), I want to make one from red cedar, from scratch. I know how to do it, but I can't find the wood.

Does anyone know of a good source of small wood online? I need pieces about 1/4-1/2" thick, red cedar. I guess the length doesn't matter--I can trim it down, but the finished box will be about 16"x 16" x 5", so if I could find smaller pieces, I wouldn't have to cut them much. (I HAVE found wood like this on e-bay, but I'd much rather purchase from a wood supplier, rather than some random person whose product reputation I don't know).

-s1ren

bluebear
January 11th, 2002, 10:41 PM
Dear S1ren,
Common red cedar is available at most lumber yards and home improvement centers. It's what they use to build fenses.
Aromatic cedar is a much prettier wood and smells stronger.
Try www.woodworkerssupply.com
Go all the way to the last item on the index entitled "not listed elsewhere". Hope you find what you are looking for.
By the way. We might be neighbors. I live in Woodville Texas.
Blessings
Bluebear

s1ren
January 14th, 2002, 10:26 AM
Thanks for the link--that's a great store! :)

Where's Woodville? I'm in Austin.

-s1ren

bluebear
January 16th, 2002, 11:26 PM
You are quite welcome my friend. Good luck with your project.By the way: I have a good supply of Mahogany if you ever have the need. I get it free from a friend who owns a mill in Beaumont and would be happy to share with anyone. Just let me know what dimensions you want.
Woodville is about half way between Beaumont and Lufkin in the Big Thicket on highway 69. I think we are about two hours apart. If you are ever in the area holler at me.Maybe we can visit.
Blessings
Bluebear

s1ren
January 18th, 2002, 12:47 PM
I found my wood...I passed by these things every time I go anywhere like a hardware store or the Container Store or something, and I never thought about it:

Cedar closet lining panels!! I can get a box of 4" x 5', about 1/2" thick at anywhere that has "home storage solutions", about 15 pieces for $30! Each piece is tongue-and-grooved to fit together against the wall, so I can put a few together for the bottom and top of the box. All I need is some glue (well, that's not *all* I need, but I already have everything else).

Tada :D

-s1ren

bluebear
January 19th, 2002, 12:27 AM
Yeah. That's the same thing that Woodworkers supply sells but it sounds like you got a better price. Good luck with your project.
Blessings
Bluebear

rosemary
January 20th, 2002, 01:20 PM
Greetings!
My husband who is a woodcrafter says you can buy aromatic red cedar bundles at home depot (if you have one in your area)
He is a wood junkie but doesn't have cedar left. Please visit our web site if you are intersted in woodcraft. www.dtzman.com

s1ren
January 22nd, 2002, 11:56 AM
That's a great website--I love the "wooden cow bells" :)

-s1ren