PDA

View Full Version : John Edward???

Willow Rosette
March 17th, 2006, 11:46 PM
Ok I know he is catholic but anyone hear about John Edward comming back to tv? Like an on the road kinda thing???? I just love him to pieces.

Mindflayer
March 18th, 2006, 12:12 AM
yeah he's going back to A&E I think... meh, it's just a scam.

Little Billy
March 18th, 2006, 12:27 AM
yeah he's going back to A&E I think... meh, it's just a scam.

Yep. He's a classic cold-reader.

Willow Rosette
March 18th, 2006, 12:31 AM
Ohhhh I love him and cant wait for him to come back. :abanana: :fpartyfav

semi
March 18th, 2006, 03:38 AM
He has been proven to be a scam. I would like to see him go away, but at the same time I applaud his arrogance.

Sea-Witch
March 18th, 2006, 12:02 PM
John Edward is disgusting - a dirtbag scamming grieving people. He should be ashamed of himself.

Willow Rosette
March 18th, 2006, 01:01 PM
:gagged: Can anyone show me articles on him being proven to be a scam?

Sea-Witch
March 18th, 2006, 01:36 PM
Here is a link to an article that was written for Dateline and published in the Skeptical Inquirer:

http://www.csicop.org/si/2001-11/i-files.html

His shows are heavily edited. What you see on tv are merely the choice picks of a taping. I hear he isn't even that good of a cold reader ... amazing what you can pull off by appearing to be a nice guy.

Faeawyn
March 18th, 2006, 02:30 PM
After reading the article, I gather this person doesn't believe in psychic ability at all. I bet he'd NEVER believe in witches :lol:He seems to list everyone as basically a fraud. I don't know if Edward is really getting info from spirits or not...I've been to his show and we weren't asked any questions or asked to fill anything out. But I suppose there could have been plants in the audience. But I don't feel like he "toys with their emotions" really....I mean....he seems to make everyone feel better about their lost loved one. He tells them they're loved and watched over....whats so bad about that? What ever it is he's doing....he seems damn good at it.
I thought it was kind of funny that this guy said that when asked to demonstrate the methods used, he said he wouldn't because it was basically against his ethics :lol:

~Elise~
March 18th, 2006, 03:55 PM
I've seen John Edward live and I feel that he is the real thing.

JMO, of course and YMMV,

Elise

Faery-Wings
March 19th, 2006, 08:23 AM
I was listening to him the other morning. he was doing a radio show locally (NYC). The was no way he could have been doing a cold reading. he also had several opportunities to scam on people who were close enough to the description, but he turned them away.
Let me back up.... he was taking callers blah blah..then gets soemone coming through on his end- a J name in a uniform- people were calling in with that connection and he kept saying- no your are not the right one, I am being held hostage by this person and I have to speak to the right person.
Finally a woman comes through and the details he had for he were amazing.

Sea-Witch
March 19th, 2006, 10:27 AM
Well, I don't mean to be argumentative, but that really doesn't prove anything ... Edward is a professional con artist and the people who work for him get paid very well to make him look good. That woman could have been a plant.

Cold readings are quite doable on the radio. Here is an example.

'A spirit medium in action

For two years, a national radio network employed the services of a spirit medium on nighttime talk-back radio. Listeners were encouraged to telephone during the program in order to obtain advice and messages from deceased relatives and friends. With interruptions for news broadcasts and commercial advertisements, the spirit medium, whom we shall call “Betty,” was able to deal with between eight and fourteen callers in an hour’s period. Here was a situation to hear a professional cold reader in action over an extended period of time and under remarkably controlled conditions. The control consisted in the fact that, unlike face-to-face psychic reading situations, there were no visual cues or clues which Betty could pick up on. All of the information she had available about callers was equally accessible to any listener. Although it would have been possible for accomplices to call Betty, and for her on such occasions to display “astounding” paranormal cognitive or clairvoyant abilities, I do not believe her readings ever involved such deception. I incline to this belief because in the months that I studied her Betty never once seemed to have information about any caller, or the deceased relatives of any caller, which was not perfectly consistent with viewing her performances as unaided cold reading.

Moreover, as a virtuoso cold reader she had little need for such subterfuge. A dazzling technician of her profession, the grandmotherly Betty was able simply on the basis of publicly broadcast telephone conversations to convince many callers and listeners alike that she could communicate with the dead. However, as with a pianist gifted at improvization, her readings were constructed from from a large, but not unlimited, set of elements, or “bag of tricks.” In listening to her, it was possible in the first hour or two to be very much impressed by her skills. Progressively, however, one began to notice repetition. The readings were all different, but more and more began to resemble one another, especially when they were readings directed at the same sort of caller. The use of a tape recorder greatly facilitated the analysis of her patterns of response. As a reader with many years of wide experience, it was possible for Betty to catch subtle clues to a caller’s situation and concerns much more quickly that most listeners. Again, the tape recorder was very helpful in understanding this.'

The full article is here:
http://www.denisdutton.com/cold_reading.htm

~Elise~
March 19th, 2006, 01:18 PM
Well, I don't mean to be argumentative, but that really doesn't prove anything ... Edward is a professional con artist and the people who work for him get paid very well to make him look good. That woman could have been a plant.

okay--this is YOUR opinion and needs to be stated as such. Your 'proof' about someone else doing a radio show doesn't prove anything about John Edward, either. You are entitled to your opinion and others are entitled to theirs. Some of us here believe he is the real thing... others don't.

I have watched him live and in person... he doesn't read the audience, IMO. You have not seen him in person... only on TV and what you've read... I think my opinion carries a bit more weight.

Elise

Sea-Witch
March 19th, 2006, 05:24 PM
Of course, I was voicing an opinion. That is what people do on message boards.

I am a skeptic. I offered a couple of articles that I thought were interesting. If you don't like them, then don't read them. It doesn't really matter. Personally, I don't think JE is anything to get worked up over.

And with all due respect, please don't infer that your opinion is more important than anyone else's. Unless you can provide solid proof, testable data that backs up your claims without a doubt, then your opinion does not carry more weight. It is merely a different point of view.

Pol
March 19th, 2006, 05:43 PM
People saying they've seen him live and that he's not a cold reader - based on what?
I'm not meaning this in a snotty way, though it sounds that way online, but are you an expert on cold reading? Do you all have the knowledge and ability to spot cold readers and understand fully how they work?

If simply seeing a cold reader work is enough to tell they are fake or real, they'd be out of business!

Willow Rosette
March 19th, 2006, 05:47 PM
Wow I didnt mean for people to get upset at eachother. Thank you Sea-Witch for the article. I did ask for it out of intrest. I does give some speculation on him. Even though I do believe he is as real as can be found ther eis a possibility that maybe there is an inbetween. Like he has back ups incase the real thing doesnt come through.

Thanks Faewyn. When ever I watch him on TV it does give me a sence of hope that unresolved issues between myself and lost loved ones can someday be resolved (in this lifetime). For me personally I like him but I was glad also to get anothers opinion based on something besides just personal feelings.

I really did not mean to open a bag of worms with the posting. I like that we all have different opinions on the same subject. It is what makes us unique and are able to grow from learning from eachother.

DoktorSick
March 19th, 2006, 06:50 PM
I was listening to him the other morning. he was doing a radio show locally (NYC). The was no way he could have been doing a cold reading. he also had several opportunities to scam on people who were close enough to the description, but he turned them away.
Let me back up.... he was taking callers blah blah..then gets soemone coming through on his end- a J name in a uniform- people were calling in with that connection and he kept saying- no your are not the right one, I am being held hostage by this person and I have to speak to the right person.
Finally a woman comes through and the details he had for he were amazing.
I saw a commerical about his new show coming on.
But the thing with the radio is pretty obviousa and it doesn't have to be
a plant.One can be sure that enough people will call that match to what
he's saying that he could pass up a few.And not worry about missing his mark.
The reason i have seriouis doubt of JE so called powers because look how he using them.He doesn't off his help for any search and rescue operation.
It he could really talk to the dead know if there where any survivors in a crash or some other kind of accident would be of use in they would use resources.

~Elise~
March 19th, 2006, 08:26 PM
Of course, I was voicing an opinion. That is what people do on message boards.

I am a skeptic. I offered a couple of articles that I thought were interesting. If you don't like them, then don't read them. It doesn't really matter. Personally, I don't think JE is anything to get worked up over.

And with all due respect, please don't infer that your opinion is more important than anyone else's. Unless you can provide solid proof, testable data that backs up your claims without a doubt, then your opinion does not carry more weight. It is merely a different point of view.

Edward is a professional con artist and the people who work for him get paid very well to make him look good.
Nowhere in that post does it say it is your opinion.

Am I an expert on who is cold reading and who isn't? No, I'm not, but as someone who does do my own 'crossing over' sessions for the public, I think that I'm a least a bit more qualified than someone who has NEVER seen him live.

Where are your qualifications that you are an authority to say who is and who isn't the 'real' thing?

Elise

~Elise~
March 19th, 2006, 08:28 PM
The reason i have seriouis doubt of JE so called powers because look how he using them.He doesn't off his help for any search and rescue operation.
It he could really talk to the dead know if there where any survivors in a crash or some other kind of accident would be of use in they would use resources.

Actually, he has helped in that type of thing in the past.

semi
March 19th, 2006, 09:08 PM
I'll rephrase my earlier post because I don't want anyone to be upset. I have read a few articles on JE and seen at least one tv show that exposed him as a scam. The info presented convinced me. Maybe I'm wrong. The only way anyone can know whether he is truly real or a fake is to personally meet him and have him tell you something that no one could know. There is no other way to be absolutely certain. So maybe we should just believe what we want to based on having seen him or read articles on him or having seen tv shows about him, and let others believe what they want to without arguing over it.

~Elise~
March 19th, 2006, 09:42 PM
sounds good to me, Semi!

Philosophia
March 19th, 2006, 09:54 PM
He has been proven to be a scam. I would like to see him go away, but at the same time I applaud his arrogance.

I think anybody and anything can be proven to be a scam if thats what people want to believe. Articles, interviews, etc. are usually based on a person's opinion, regardless of whether they are true or not.
Personally, I'll prefer to watch it happen in RL before I get any opinion on John Edwards. He may be real, he may not. Nobody, except John, knows.

Willow Rosette
March 19th, 2006, 10:53 PM
Wow you all took this way beyond where I started it. I didnt mean this to be a real or fake conversation. I was just curious if anyone had heard of him doing an on the road kinda show. Do I believe he is real? Yea or I wouldnt have started the thread. Do I believe he is completly on the up and up? Probably not. I think in that kind of profession he would have to have a back up plan in case the spirits/energy dont come to him. I also think he is exploiting it cause from what I heard getting tickets is outragiously expensive. I dont know any of it for a fact. But as someone else pointed out if someone does find truth in what he says then that is what is important.

Anubis
March 19th, 2006, 11:26 PM
I used to work at a flea market in Delaware.. the sort of thing locals and tourists go to. I had a lady stop at my table one day and the subject of Mr Edwards came up. This woman claimed to be an employee of the studio where his show was taped. According to her the majority of people he does his readings on there at the studio were either employees or relatives of employees... not all.. but the majority. And that he is given whatever information he needs in the beginning. Is that true? I don't know.. but the woman I spoke to seemed very convincing to me.. especailly after I watched his show one evening and he was telling a woman how her relative had died.. when she told him he was wrong he told her that it did happen the way he said it did and quickly blew her off... also I have an issue with the walking over to a group of people and saying.. "do you have a relative who's name was david.. or dennis.. something with a D?".. nope... sorry.. i don't buy it... Just my opinion.. but i could do the same darn thing.

Little Billy
March 20th, 2006, 12:37 AM
[No, I'm not, but as someone who does do my own 'crossing over' sessions for the public, I think that I'm a least a bit more qualified than someone who has NEVER seen him live.

I'm not sure I understand how that qualifies you more than anyone else.

LadyKaty
March 20th, 2006, 02:49 AM
I think South Park had him pegged, to be perfectly honest.

He's a classic cold-reader, there's been numerous articles that show him to be a con artist, and frankly, I think he's an arrogant bastard.

So, to quote Stan Marsh, from South Park, "John Edwards is the biggest douche in the universe."

Honestly, I have nothing good to say about him. Nothing at all.

PoisonIvy
March 20th, 2006, 08:53 AM
IMHO,every psychic on tv is fake and out for everyones money!

There are psychics/spiritual mediums all over the world who use their gifts to actually help people,who are genuine,who don't want to be exploited on television and who don't charge $500 bucks an hour! I know plenty!

I am a bit of a skeptic,but give me a complete first and last name (not a common letter that peoples names start with like M,R or J), the year they were born or passed over and a specific event that I can check out and then I'm a believer. Otherwise,quit using my mind to hunt up my own answers!

I did all of this to a girl that I work with.8O With not a psychic bone in my body(that I know of),I told this chick at work that I saw a man standing behind her,his name started with a M,J or L(letters that most names start with BTW)and he was holding his chest area and saying "I went too soon,I went too soon."
This chick said "OMG! My grandpas name was Michael and he died early from a heartattack! How did ya know!?" I said "Ya fished around in your brain for a person,the condition I described and picked him out yourself! It was all done with psychology and suggestion!" Needless to say that she was a bit dissappointed,but I was pretty excited that I could actually pull it off! Or maybe I am psychic!:tarotwitc

cobwebfaerie
March 20th, 2006, 09:22 AM
My husband and I were able to see him last year locally when he came through our city, and I liked him very well. I feel he does wonderful work, and energy that was transmuted in the room when we saw him read, was wonderful, uplifting, and incredibly loving. With the large amounts of spirit forms and mists in the room surrounding the crowd, I personally felt there was only posative beautiful things happening that night.

It's allowing yourself to experiance the unknown that allows you to know the truth or untruth of a situation. When you only take something at the face value of "I read it on the 'net." Or hear "someone" tell me this, it's not a true personal experiance, so there for it's just gossip in my eyes.

Instead of spreading negative rederic, why not take a moment or two to step back and say "How is this going to effect all those who wanted this thread to be a posative experiance? How is this going to effect the energetic web between people, who connect to this thread hoping to find a posative message, and be able to communicate in a posative way?" What happened was that all the negative took over, and there is nothing worth talking about in the end. Good Grief release the negative, and allow for a little light to come in, even if you don't believe in what is being said.

Anubis
March 20th, 2006, 10:50 AM
uhm.. so we should only say nice things?... Sorry.. I'm not a "yes man". In my opinion he's a fraud.. ok.. so he dresses nice... but that's the only positive thing I have to say about him.

ValD
March 20th, 2006, 05:30 PM
You all might be interested in hearing this MP3 of a radio interview (http://www.kluv.com/JohnEdwardinterview.mp3) with Edwards. By all accounts (i haven't listened to it yet), the interviewer tore him a new one; when Edwards started talking about being a Christian, for instance, the interviewer came out with the Bible verses forbidding necromancy and contact with spirits.

~Elise~
March 20th, 2006, 09:28 PM
okay--so the interviewer told him about bible verses that go against what he does... how does have anything to do with his abilities or lack thereof?

As for being more or less qualified... I do this professionally myself and I've actually seen him in action. I would say that makes me a bit more qualified than someone who doesn't do this professionally.

What makes you qualified to say he isn't the real thing? You've seen a couple of shows, you've read a few interviews... so what? How does that give you the qualifications to say whether or not he is or isn't cold reading someone?

Personally, I don't care what you believe... as someone said to me earlier ... for a believer, no proof is necessary... for a skeptic none is enough.

MY opinion is that he is the real thing. Could I be wrong? Yup. Won't be the first time or the last, I'm sure.

These are my opinions...

Elise

Bronach Druid
March 21st, 2006, 12:17 AM
I like John Edwards and I would watch his new show if for no other reason then I find him likeable and entertaining. As to whether he is genuine or not....I am not totally convinced either way with him, but I have seen some pretty convining stuff by him on shows other then his own. I definitely find him more believable then Syliva Brown or that Van Praague guy. And as someone else mentioned you can find ways to make it appear to discredit any medium if you have no belief in mediums. The only one I have ever seen that I found really amazing is Rosemary Altea. Oh and I once watched a show where a women would draw a picture of the deceased relatives she saw around you, it was eerie...but I don't remember her name and I have no idea if it was some kind of set-up.

December Fairy
March 21st, 2006, 06:00 PM
I missed the first one because I had never heard of it. I saw him on Ellen yesterday. I am going to watch the show. It's called John Edward Cross Country. I don't know what channel it's on.

I like to watch him. I would love, love, love to have a reading done by him or really anyone for that matter that could give me a message from loved ones.

Willow Rosette
March 21st, 2006, 10:34 PM
I missed the first one because I had never heard of it. I saw him on Ellen yesterday. I am going to watch the show. It's called John Edward Cross Country. I don't know what channel it's on.

I like to watch him. I would love, love, love to have a reading done by him or really anyone for that matter that could give me a message from loved ones.

Thank you so much for sticking to my origional question. Im finding it shocking that so many people that believe in everything from multiple Goddess' to faries to dragons and any number of other things that the outside world would not believe in has made such a comotion over one person. Everyone has things they do and do not believe in. That has never been in question. But looking back over this thread (thank you my friend that pointed this out to me) Im just absolutly amazed that people that would consider themselves more open minded than others would be so closed minded over something when they had not experienced it first hand to make such a concrete decision. Could he be fake? Of course....they all could even the ones posting in this thread that say they can do the same thing. We dont know because we have not experienced it first hand to say one way or another. Now on the same token could he be real and honest? The answer is the exact same as above. They could all be real even the ones posting in this thread whom we have never experienced first hand. The people who have posted on this thread are just as reputable as someone whom most of us have never experienced. There has been not one person to say they saw him in person and was probed before hand for information. What everyone is going on for him being false is pure speculation. I did ask for an article saying he was a fraud and Im thankfull it was given. Did it change my mind one way or another? No it was simply someones experience who we cannot speak to to find out their experience with him. With all the things that have been expoilted about famous people in general I tend to lean the other way and not believe what is written about someone. And jeeze what is one persons fact is still another persons fiction.

semi
March 21st, 2006, 11:15 PM
Believing he's a fraud based on the evidence some of us have seen---articles, investigative TV shows, and so on---does not mean people are close minded. It means they have seen evidence that has led them to form an opinion. Close minded would mean that we formed that opinion with no evidence. He could be legit or a fake. Based on the little bit of evidence I have seen, I vote fake. If you choose to form a differing opinion, great. I will not call you close minded for doing so.

Little Billy
March 22nd, 2006, 12:33 AM
Thank you so much for sticking to my origional question. Im finding it shocking that so many people that believe in everything from multiple Goddess' to faries to dragons and any number of other things that the outside world would not believe in has made such a comotion over one person.

Just because people will believe some things, doesn't mean they'll believe ANYTHING.

Personally, I don't believe ANYTHING. The world is much too complex for me to run around saying whether or not things exist or not.

But I know a cold reader when I see one.

LadyKaty
March 22nd, 2006, 04:17 AM
I refuse to believe just anything willy-nilly.

Even though I'm a firmly agnostic deist with pagan leanings (try saying THAT five times fast!), I'm not going to swallow every story someone tells me.

I'm a natural skeptic. And I expect other people to be naturally skeptical, as well. I don't expect people to believe every story I tell them about my experiences with spirits. Hell, my own husband doesn't necessarily believe all the things I've seen, he doesn't believe all the things HE has seen.

John Edwards is a cold reader, he's been proven to be a classic cold reader, and frankly, IMNSHO, he's the biggest douche in the universe. I still hold to that, and that doesn't make me close-minded, it makes me someone who doesn't believe everything she hears or reads on the internet.

ValD
March 22nd, 2006, 04:45 PM
I once watched a show where a women would draw a picture of the deceased relatives she saw around you, it was eerie...but I don't remember her name and I have no idea if it was some kind of set-up.
Sounds like the British medium Coral Polge. She worked in the 1970s and 1980s (I think she's dead now). I went to her once - she drew a portrait of a nice-looking elderly lady that I didn't recognise at all, but was supposed to be a deceased relative who was "contantly with me".
"Go home and look in your old family photographs" Coral told me, "You'll see her there."
Strange that this deceased relative didn't tell her that I had no contact with my family at that time, and consequently no family photos to check.

But she was certainly genuine - insofar as she thoroughly believed she was getting psychic impressions of dead people around a sitter. She was such a nice lady that I didn't have the heart to tell her she was wrong.

Philosophia
March 22nd, 2006, 07:23 PM
John Edwards is a cold reader, he's been proven to be a classic cold reader, and frankly, IMNSHO, he's the biggest douche in the universe. I still hold to that, and that doesn't make me close-minded, it makes me someone who doesn't believe everything she hears or reads on the internet.

How has John Edwards been proven to be a cold reader? And how have you come to that conclusion?
I'm a sceptic myself but I'm sitting on the fence as to whether he is real or not.

Willow Rosette
March 22nd, 2006, 08:38 PM
How has John Edwards been proven to be a cold reader? And how have you come to that conclusion?
I'm a sceptic myself but I'm sitting on the fence as to whether he is real or not.

That was the point I was trying to make. How can someone who has not first hand experienced it say one way or another. I can understand saying I have my doubts or as Minerva stated I have not decided but to flat out say someone is a cold reader when you personally have never experienced a reading froma person is closed minded.

It would be like a blind person saying the sky is green. I dont care what other people think it it is green, no other possibility. How could that blind person know that when they have not seen the sky to know its color. If someone posted and said I saw him in person and this was my experience and it led me to the conclusion that it was all made up/ a cold reading whatever, then I could get that. But to say flat out he is a cold reader with out any experience with him is completly close minded.

cobwebfaerie
March 23rd, 2006, 01:24 PM
uhm.. so we should only say nice things?... Sorry.. I'm not a "yes man". In my opinion he's a fraud.. ok.. so he dresses nice... but that's the only positive thing I have to say about him.

Then I'll agree to disagree with you, and leave it at that. :) I appreciate your outspokeness to stick to your guns. :)

DoktorSick
March 23rd, 2006, 03:26 PM
That was the point I was trying to make. How can someone who has not first hand experienced it say one way or another. I can understand saying I have my doubts or as Minerva stated I have not decided but to flat out say someone is a cold reader when you personally have never experienced a reading froma person is closed minded.

It would be like a blind person saying the sky is green. I dont care what other people think it it is green, no other possibility. How could that blind person know that when they have not seen the sky to know its color. If someone posted and said I saw him in person and this was my experience and it led me to the conclusion that it was all made up/ a cold reading whatever, then I could get that. But to say flat out he is a cold reader with out any experience with him is completly close minded.
Somethings you don't need for head experience.Just a credible source.
You don't need first experience to know that uranium is radioactive .
YOu accept that is it from a credible source.
The abilities of John Edwards are question because of some of things that went on during his first show crossing over.If I'm not mistaking he had the audience int he studio for like 4 hours asking them things then it was edited to like 45 mintues for a hour with commericals.With a good editor anyone could seem like they are communicating with the dead.

~Elise~
March 23rd, 2006, 10:16 PM
Somethings you don't need for head experience.Just a credible source.
You don't need first experience to know that uranium is radioactive .
YOu accept that is it from a credible source.
The abilities of John Edwards are question because of some of things that went on during his first show crossing over.If I'm not mistaking he had the audience int he studio for like 4 hours asking them things then it was edited to like 45 mintues for a hour with commericals.With a good editor anyone could seem like they are communicating with the dead.

Soooo why are you not accepting evidence from a credible source? I've seen the show live, as you recall. As has someone else in this thread. You're discounting first hand experience?
No editing was needed. The live show was almost exactly the same as the TV show... except he paces the stage back and forth while getting info. That is why he stands with his feet in dancer positions... to keep him in more or less one spot for the cameras.

They would get three to four shows from one audience taping. No big deep dark mystery there. AND that gives more of the audience a chance to get read, as well.

I saw the new show the other night and loved it. I forgot how much I really liked him.

Elise

Willow Rosette
March 23rd, 2006, 11:08 PM
I would rather accept the word of someone who went with an open mind and listened and watched and can speak from experience verses someone out for the money of either selling an article or to get viewers. News papers lie all the time. What reason would pearls59 have for not telling the truth about her experience? With the way this thread has spun out of control beyond my simple question if she did have a bad experience she would have said so. Everyone would have felt for her. No she stood up for the experience she had. Where as someone writing an article or broadcasting it on tv are simply out to attract viewers. From the first time I watched him I was open minded figuring he was probably a scam. I watch him with an open mind. Thats why I asked for something saying he was.

laserhazel
March 23rd, 2006, 11:25 PM
Is John Edwards a fraud? That's an interesting question. He seems genuine, but if you are casting a doubt upon him, he probably looks like a fake. I had never thought of doubting him, the presentation gives the appearance of actually communicating with the essence of the people he appears to be contacting. As for their consciously being there or not, I highly doubt it. It is sort of like communicating with water, water which will respond as if a human would talk to you.

But of course, that is as off topic as the few posts preceding. I hope the thread starter doesn't mind too much...

The channel that the new show is on is called We.

I generally try not too join the crowd which is trying to discredit people for doing what they consider legitimate work, it interferes with the psychics energy and consequently interferes with the quality of the reading, whether it be cold or hot.

LadyKaty
March 24th, 2006, 05:24 AM
I know that John Edwards is a classic cold reader because a)I have seen him in action (an experience I hope NEVER to repeat, I was doing my best to bite my tongue from calling him a fraud right there), and b)I have read articles from credible sources. And no, I won't provide cites, do your own Googling.

It's the same thing as religion. Two different people can walk into a church/religious gathering, and one might believe fully, and the other might think it's a load of bunk.

Some of you think John Edwards is the real deal. I do not.

Some people are Christian, and believe in the Christian version of God, and believe that His Son, Jesus, came down to Earth to be crucified to save us from our sins. I don't.

Some people are Buddhist, some people are Taoist, some people are Pagan. Some are not.

I don't have to agree with any of you that are insisting that he's the real deal. I really don't. And I'm not going to be anyone's yes-woman, on ANY subject.

This is a message board for many people, with many different beliefs. I gave my opinion. Others have cited sources that show that John Edwards is nothing more than a fraudulent cold reader. And still others believe that he is the Real Thing.

Well, if you want to believe that John Edwards is the Real Deal, go right ahead, I'm certainly not going to stop you, I'm a big believer in freedom of religion, freedom of expression, and freedom of thought. But, those freedoms extend to me, too, you know, and I have just as much right NOT to believe as you all have to believe. And just as much right to express my opinions about John Edward as all y'all.

Let's just agree to disagree. Otherwise, I'll spend more time arguing the point than I'd rather. Okay?

Truce? Peace? I've had my say, y'all have had yours, can we move on now?

Philosophia
March 24th, 2006, 07:12 AM
I don't think anybody's a "yes" person here. We are all different, all unique, with individual opinions based upon our experiance and perspective. Personally, on this topic, I'm open. I haven't been convinced either way by anybody or any article. I've spoken to people who have experienced him in RL and they've all had different encounters. I've also read credible articles that state he is the "real" thing, or that he is a "cold" reader. Nobody knows for sure. Like I think many have stated, nobody is stopping anybody from thinking a different POV. Actually, I think its rather encouraged.
Geesh, how boring would it be if we were all clones...;)

ValD
March 24th, 2006, 08:30 AM
I generally try not too join the crowd which is trying to discredit people for doing what they consider legitimate work, it interferes with the psychics energy and consequently interferes with the quality of the reading, whether it be cold or hot.
You seem to be unaware of the nature of hot/cold reading. Neither involves any psychic energy, and can be performed by anybody with sufficient expertise, so as to be indistinguishable from psychic reading.

~Elise~
March 24th, 2006, 08:37 AM
Geesh, how boring would it be if we were all clones...;)

Ain't it the truth?!? Viva la difference!

Elise

Little Billy
March 25th, 2006, 10:11 PM
Soooo why are you not accepting evidence from a credible source? I've seen the show live, as you recall. As has someone else in this thread. You're discounting first hand experience?

Anecdotes are not evidence.

Willow Rosette
March 26th, 2006, 12:01 AM
LadyKaty you sound very defensive about how you feel and Im sorry. I am not discrediting your opinion or saying that you shouldnt feel that way. I for one would love to hear about your experience in seeing him live. You and I have spoken off line and I respect your opinion. I do all need to agree to disagree. We all have our own opinions and I feel we need to show a bit more respect to each other than may have been given to the oposite opinion.

Alfred, Lord Tennyson once said "Faith is believing what we cannot prove."

It seems that people have gotten a bit hot under the coller about this subject. I thank you all for giving your opinions and appologise if in anyway I have offended anyone.

laserhazel
March 26th, 2006, 12:31 AM
Well, I watched the show on We and I can still see that his energy appears to move in and out of where he is actually picking up on energies from another dimension and where he is cold reading.

It looks more like a switch back and forth than one way or another.

I wonder if he knows which he is doing.

~Elise~
March 26th, 2006, 04:47 AM
Anecdotes are not evidence.

Neither is most of what has been presented here. Opinions formed from watching the show and/or reading articles written by someone with a grudge against anything or anyone claiming to be psychic do not form evidence, either.

Which is my point all along... opinions are like a$$es... everyone has one. Some are just more vocal than others in presenting their opinions as facts. And that is what I dislike.

I've never said my opinion was fact...never asked anyone to change their belief based on my opinion. I just presented a different POV based on my experience.

Elise

Little Billy
March 26th, 2006, 05:23 PM
Anecdotes are not evidence. I have heard these exact words so many times. The scientific method only counts phenomena that are repeatable, so, in essence, if something just happened once, it is like it never happened!!!! I strongly believe this fundamentalist scientific thinking is so deeply embedded in the collective unconscious of many people that if they experience something 'outside the box' of their preconceived idea of reality, it does not even register above their conscious radar.

Were you replying to me? I hope not.

Turns out *I'm* not too keen on debating with *you*, either.

Willow Rosette
March 26th, 2006, 09:42 PM
laserhazel thank you for your comment on the new program. It comes on to late for me to see it and I cant figure out how to record from cable to vcr. I think it is possible he does switch back and forth. He still has to keep the show going even if 1) he doesnt get a signal or 2) if he is having an off day. Does this mean he is a fake? I dont think so but I do think those that choose to see nothing else would see it that way.

Little Billy
March 26th, 2006, 09:44 PM
I dont think so but I do think those that choose to see nothing else would see it that way.

A lesser man than I might think you were saying that those that disagree with you are not being honest, at least with themselves.

Of course, I'm not that lesser man.

Just saying.

Old Witch
March 28th, 2006, 07:34 PM
I don't care what anyone thinks or says, don't need any debate...I can think for myself, pretty much rule out the BS and believe what I believe. I believe in John Edward, Sylvia Browne and a few others. I've read the negative articles, seen the shows, but we all know how fair the media is now don't we? Now I'm going to watch Shar Margolis on Psychic at Large on the Sci Fi Channel tomorrow night and make up my own mind about her too. The point is we're going to believe what we believe anyway...so who really cares what someone else believes?

Anyway, about Cross Country, It's a lot like Crossing Over, but with a lot more follow up with the families and a lot more validation after the readings.

Willow Rosette
March 28th, 2006, 10:57 PM
A lesser man than I might think you were saying that those that disagree with you are not being honest, at least with themselves.

Of course, I'm not that lesser man.

Just saying.

A lesser man would read more into what is being said than what is really there.

Little Billy
March 29th, 2006, 01:25 AM
A lesser man would read more into what is being said than what is really there.

Then it's a good thing that lesser man isn't around. :hahugh:

Willow Rosette
March 29th, 2006, 08:10 AM
Then it's a good thing that lesser man isn't around. :hahugh:

I deffinately agree. :lol:

DoktorSick
March 30th, 2006, 03:00 PM
Another thing that I have noticed about john edwards is the kind of reading he gives.They are always like the person on the other is not suffering anymore and or they are at peace type of thing.
How come there is never any you the person was a hole and now they are getting what they deserve in the afterlife. And I hardly belief that there is not one person who has crossed over that is not a simpsons fan not itching.
Sending over names like I p freely ,awanda man or pat mcgroin.

Anubis
March 31st, 2006, 01:35 AM
Another thing that I have noticed about john edwards is the kind of reading he gives.They are always like the person on the other is not suffering anymore and or they are at peace type of thing.
How come there is never any you the person was a hole and now they are getting what they deserve in the afterlife. And I hardly belief that there is not one person who has crossed over that is not a simpsons fan not itching.
Sending over names like I p freely ,awanda man or pat mcgroin.
oh yeah.. i would be one of those...

Philosophia
March 31st, 2006, 02:09 AM

If they have no physical body, how would they be itching?

Anubis
March 31st, 2006, 02:23 AM
hmmm.. phantom itch?.. like when a person loses and arm or leg and they still "feel" it?... lol.. hey why not?

LadyKaty
March 31st, 2006, 02:42 AM
Visha'sMommy, sorry I didn't check back earlier!

I don't mean to sound like a defensive jerk.

My experience with seeing John Edward live? His "handlers" had been out in among the audience prior to the start of the show, asking little questions here and there, and taking notes. Okay, not exactly a problem, not really....I mean, I take notes about someone's situation when I do a tarot reading, just to get a "feel" for the situation.

However, when John Edward came out, he only talked to the people in the audience his handlers talked to. Ooookayyy, that got a little bit on my odd-meter.

Then he kept saying the same.damn.thing. It was always the same "message", just presented in different wording. I was getting really irritated by that point.

When the show was over, he offered to do private readings for people. Very, very expensive private readings. That quickly got my BS meter going off the charts.

That was what did it for me. Not only was it the same reading, with nothing changed but names and various wordings (the whole, "So and so is at peace, wants you to let go, blah blah blah, but there's more, and I can tell you in a private reading, because you wouldn't want the whole world to hear this, yadda yadda yadda" thing), but it was the expectation of high monetary expectations.

I don't read for money. I can't read every situation all the time, it can be rather hit or miss, because sometimes people block me from reading them, sometimes something else is blocking me from reading, sometimes I'm just having an "off" day.

I really, really have a problem with people who do that. And I have a problem with people who engage in classic cold reading techniques, and get FAME out of it. Is that the reason to exploit people's deepest emotions? I find that just sickening.

I approach things with an open mind, but when I am presented with a situation like this? My skepticism comes in. People have been taken in by "fortune-tellers", or "psychics", or "mediums", who charge them ungodly amounts of money for nothing in return. There are swindlers in every profession.

I hope that explains more. I just do NOT like that man, because to me, after seeing him in action, he represents the worst of snake-oil salesmen who prey on the emotionally vulnerable.

Philosophia
March 31st, 2006, 02:46 AM
hmmm.. phantom itch?.. like when a person loses and arm or leg and they still "feel" it?... lol.. hey why not?

I guess it depends on how you define the spirit world...I personally don't see it but hey... :cheers:

DoktorSick
March 31st, 2006, 04:11 AM
oh i meant to add itching for a chance to give some smart ass phases or something just to mess with the living.
I think my son probaly did something insane that's what i forget to finish the rest.

Philosophia
March 31st, 2006, 07:16 AM
oh i meant to add itching for a chance to give some smart ass phases or something just to mess with the living.
I think my son probaly did something insane that's what i forget to finish the rest.

:lol: Thats okay...
I'd probably do that if I was coming through...it'd probably be the only way they would know its me :hahugh:

DoktorSick
March 31st, 2006, 03:47 PM
I think john ewards should do a special where he goes to the inner city.
Like a crossing over ghetto edition.
He'll be like hey I'm getting something it was pookie and t-bone that shot
ray ray.Something on that level.At least one would think.

Anubis
March 31st, 2006, 04:19 PM
or a backwoods "deliverance" version.. with Jim bo Bob and Bubba

I wonder if he could hear the banjo's pluckin'?... hmmm next question.. do they have banjos on the other side?

laserhazel
April 2nd, 2006, 09:25 PM
I think john ewards should do a special where he goes to the inner city.
Like a crossing over ghetto edition.
He'll be like hey I'm getting something it was pookie and t-bone that shot
ray ray.Something on that level.At least one would think.

Speaking of levels, LadyKaty said something about this person was continually using the same old lines. And that the line was that the person has moved on. I suppose you were saying that it was like he has a pre-determined method for making it "sound like" he is actually helping the soul which is supposedly in transit in reaching a new level? Something like he couldn't possibly be a Sainted Guardian whose energy is a mechanism for assisting the souls of the departed and the minds of the persons who worry?

To me, John is a person who is assisting people in finding some form of answers about the questions of what happens to us when the body dies and a shepherd of lost souls.

I understand that asking for money to do readings tends to make someone look less than "honest". That is pronounced more and you are likely sensitive to the fact that he has no personal blessing on his professional intake of money. And, if he did, in this area, his blessing would still be in the circle so that the negatives could be cleansed from it.

Skeptics find flaws and faults, optimists increase light.

HeavensHope
April 4th, 2006, 05:58 PM
i think he's real...he's not flashy like some of the others i've seen on tv. Yeah, he has his own show...but what do you expect? if you're given a gift and you wanna do your best to put it to good use, how else would he go about it if he didnt do it this way..if he worked a regular 9-5 job worrying about bills and such, he wouldnt be able to do as much as he has with his show. That's just my theory...i have no abilities so i dont know, but skeptics are always out there to disprove every medium out there. That's why they're called skeptics. Plus, he's not a bad looking guy. :)

_Banbha_
April 4th, 2006, 06:45 PM
Originally Posted by LaserHazel: Skeptics find flaws and faults, optimists increase light.

Main Entry: skep·tic
Function: noun
Pronunciation: 'skep-tik
Etymology: Latin or Greek; Latin scepticus, from Greek skeptikos, from skeptikos thoughtful, from skeptesthai to look, consider
1 : an adherent or advocate of skepticism

Skeptics are bad for the flim flam business and cut into profits. They shine a light on truth and reason.

John Edwards doesn't really bother me personally, he is a conman and darn good at it. He's free to conduct his business along with the rest of them. It's legal but still highly unethical. I guess it could be seen as a form of entertainment.

ansu
April 4th, 2006, 06:53 PM
I believe John Edwards is real. I am sure he doesn't hit it dead on every time, just in most programs we see. I know that some people you just draw a blank from, others are wide open.

For me, I would have a problem doing this for money, never have. Just doesn't seem right to me. Some people think I should, but that is not part of my path.

I don't do social gatherings at all, but have done small ones. Sometimes, it is just to strong to be quiet about. Too much urgency to relay message.

semi
April 4th, 2006, 07:04 PM
i think he's real...he's not flashy like some of the others i've seen on tv. Yeah, he has his own show...but what do you expect? if you're given a gift and you wanna do your best to put it to good use, how else would he go about it if he didnt do it this way..if he worked a regular 9-5 job worrying about bills and such, he wouldnt be able to do as much as he has with his show. That's just my theory...i have no abilities so i dont know, but skeptics are always out there to disprove every medium out there. That's why they're called skeptics. Plus, he's not a bad looking guy. :)

Well, I and others I know who work with the dead just do it when when we feel the need, not forced under the eye of cameras and under the script of a TV show. I think that's a better use than a tv show. And yes, if he worked a regualr 9-5 he wouldn't be a millionaire, but he chose to be a con artist and make tons of money by preying on people who think he's legitimate. And yes, he's a pretty man, the camera loves him. That's part of his success. Put an ugly person on tv doing the same thing and ratings would plummet. He is a charming con man doing what con men do: preying on the hopes of others.

Philosophia
April 4th, 2006, 07:32 PM
Skeptics are bad for the flim flam business and cut into profits. They shine a light on truth and reason.

I'm going to have to disagree with you...
While I am a sceptic, I also believe many don't shine a light on truth and reason unless it benefits them. I've seen and read too many who refuse to accept possibilities that go beyond what "science" decrees...
I'm still on the fence with John Edwards. I don't see him as a "con man" because there isn't any evidence to prove that theory. I also don't see him as legitimate because of the exact same reason.
BTW, I also don't think he's "pretty" ;).

Little Billy
April 4th, 2006, 08:32 PM
Skeptics find flaws and faults, optimists increase light.

Um, yeah. Bush, Cheney, and Rumsfeld were optimistic as hell in May, 2003.

How much light have they brought on?

Optimism is a disease.

_Banbha_
April 4th, 2006, 08:45 PM
I'm going to have to disagree with you...
While I am a sceptic, I also believe many don't shine a light on truth and reason unless it benefits them. I've seen and read too many who refuse to accept possibilities that go beyond what "science" decrees...
I'm still on the fence with John Edwards. I don't see him as a "con man" because there isn't any evidence to prove that theory. I also don't see him as legitimate because of the exact same reason.
BTW, I also don't think he's "pretty" ;).Do certain skeptics have alterior motives...Yes, I'm sure some do, but there's not a lot of money in it. That cuts a lot of chaff away right there.

There are skeptics that have years of good reputation and affilation or tenure with universities, so they are not just crawling out of the woodwork somewhere. There is The Skeptic Magazine and I have a copy of another good one around here someplace that are reputable and fair.

The Skeptics I've heard that have criticized the paranormal or religious, only go as far as the evidence takes them and that's all. It's not a criticism of peoples personal beleif's or faith in things. That's up to the individual who can take it or leave it. I am interested in exploring the phenomena because I am aware that rational thought and science are far from having all the answers, yet. As soon as one mystery is solved there are a 1,000 more questions...But I am also quite aware of the the ability some have to deceive themselves or others and for others to accept without question.

It's something more of consumer protection, not only from financial fraud; but for the emotionally vunerable. Those who prey on the grieving are grotesque.

I'm not saying/denying there aren't those who actually do work with the energies of the dead or who have connections beyond the physical realm. I've too have had too many interesting experiences and have seen things in life that have occured yet do not have a rational explanation.

There are a billion mysteries out there. For me, this YoYo aint one of them.

~Elise~
April 4th, 2006, 09:04 PM
Visha'sMommy, sorry I didn't check back earlier!

I don't mean to sound like a defensive jerk.

My experience with seeing John Edward live? His "handlers" had been out in among the audience prior to the start of the show, asking little questions here and there, and taking notes. Okay, not exactly a problem, not really....I mean, I take notes about someone's situation when I do a tarot reading, just to get a "feel" for the situation.

However, when John Edward came out, he only talked to the people in the audience his handlers talked to. Ooookayyy, that got a little bit on my odd-meter.

Then he kept saying the same.damn.thing. It was always the same "message", just presented in different wording. I was getting really irritated by that point.

When the show was over, he offered to do private readings for people. Very, very expensive private readings. That quickly got my BS meter going off the charts.

That was what did it for me. Not only was it the same reading, with nothing changed but names and various wordings (the whole, "So and so is at peace, wants you to let go, blah blah blah, but there's more, and I can tell you in a private reading, because you wouldn't want the whole world to hear this, yadda yadda yadda" thing), but it was the expectation of high monetary expectations.

I don't read for money. I can't read every situation all the time, it can be rather hit or miss, because sometimes people block me from reading them, sometimes something else is blocking me from reading, sometimes I'm just having an "off" day.

I really, really have a problem with people who do that. And I have a problem with people who engage in classic cold reading techniques, and get FAME out of it. Is that the reason to exploit people's deepest emotions? I find that just sickening.

I approach things with an open mind, but when I am presented with a situation like this? My skepticism comes in. People have been taken in by "fortune-tellers", or "psychics", or "mediums", who charge them ungodly amounts of money for nothing in return. There are swindlers in every profession.

I hope that explains more. I just do NOT like that man, because to me, after seeing him in action, he represents the worst of snake-oil salesmen who prey on the emotionally vulnerable.

See--my experience was different when I saw him live. There were no handlers out amongst the audience. I was actually looking FOR something like that, in fact.

He read the audience for almost three hours. Not once did he ask for someone to do a private reading with him, either.

Not judging your experience in anyway... just reporting on mine.

Elise

Philosophia
April 4th, 2006, 09:08 PM
Do certain skeptics have alterior motives...Yes, I'm sure some do, but there's not a lot of money in it. That cuts a lot of chaff away right there.

No, its not about money, but more about being right...

There are skeptics that have years of good reputation and affilation or tenure with universities, so they are not just crawling out of the woodwork somewhere. There is The Skeptic Magazine and I have a copy of another good one around here someplace that are reputable and fair.

I'm not saying that they are crawling out of the woodwork or that they are some new phenomenon. I am

The Skeptics I've heard that have criticized the paranormal or religious, only go as far as the evidence takes them and that's all. It's not a criticism of peoples personal beleif's or faith in things. That's up to the individual who can take it or leave it.

Of course, but some go further and out right dismiss claims of anything paranormal if it cannot be explained. The paranormal phenomenon of "ghosts" is an example of this.

I am interested in exploring the phenomena because I am aware that rational thought and science are far from having all the answers, yet. As soon as one mystery is solved there are a 1,000 more questions...But I am also quite aware of the the ability some have to deceive themselves or others and for others to accept without question.

I agree.

It's something more of consumer protection, not only from financial fraud; but for the emotionally vunerable. Those who prey on the grieving are grotesque.

Mmm, I guess I'm on the fence with this. What happens if it helps the grieving individual? Is it still wrong?

I'm not saying/denying there aren't those who actually do work with the energies of the dead or who have connections beyond the physical realm. I've too have had too many interesting experiences and have seen things in life that have occured yet do not have a rational explanation.

I agree.

There are a billion mysteries out there. For me, this YoYo aint one of them.

Like I stated before, there isn't enough evidence for me to either believe or disbelieve...

LadyKaty
April 6th, 2006, 04:15 AM
See--my experience was different when I saw him live. There were no handlers out amongst the audience. I was actually looking FOR something like that, in fact.

He read the audience for almost three hours. Not once did he ask for someone to do a private reading with him, either.

Not judging your experience in anyway... just reporting on mine.

Elise

Odd...I wonder what prompted the difference?

It was not an experience I'd like to repeat, and I only went because a friend of mine thought I'd be interested, blah blah blah.

No, no, I wasn't interested in that, thanks. Nice thought, but I'd rather not have been there, done that, KWIM?

_Banbha_
April 6th, 2006, 08:06 PM
Just some excerpts from articles I read about John Edward that were online. I've high lighted the cold reading technique parts; but the full articles( esp. #2) anaylsis involving the media's role are pretty interesting.

Excerpt from the Skeptical Inquirer:
John Edward: Hustling the Bereaved
"Cold Reading"
By contrast, today's spirits-whom John Edward and his fellow mediums supposedly contact-seem to have poor memories and difficulty communicating. For example, in one of his on-air séances (on Larry King Live, June 19, 1998), Edward said: "I feel like there's a J- or G-sounding name attached to this." He also perceived "Linda or Lindy or Leslie; who's this L name?" Again, he got a "Maggie or Margie, or some M-G-sounding name," and yet again heard from "either Ellen or Helen, or Eleanore-it's like an Ellen-sounding name." Gone is the clear-speaking eloquence of yore; the dead now seem to mumble.
The spirits also seemingly communicate to Edward et al. as if they were engaging in pantomime. As Edward said of one alleged spirit communicant, in a Dateline "He's pointing to his head; something had to affect the mind or the head, from what he's showing me." No longer, apparently, can the dead speak in flowing Victorian sentences, but instead are reduced to gestures, as if playing a game of charades.

One suspects, of course, that it is not the imagined spirits who have changed but rather the approach today's mediums have chosen to employ. It is, indeed, a shrewd technique known as "cold reading"-so named because the subject walks in "cold"; that is, the medium lacks advance information about the person (Gresham 1953). It is an artful method of gleaning information from the sitter, then feeding it back as mystical revelation.

The "psychic" can obtain clues by observing dress and body language (noting expressions that indicate when one is on or off track), asking questions (which if correct will appear as "hits" but otherwise will seem innocent queries), and inviting the subject to interpret the vague statements offered. For example, nearly anyone can respond to the mention of a common object (like a ring or watch) with a personal recollection that can seem to transform the mention into a hit. (For more on cold reading see Gresham 1953; Hyman 1977; Nickell 2000.)

It should not be surprising that Edward is skilled at cold reading, an old fortunetelling technique. His mother was a "psychic junkie" who threw fortunetelling "house parties," one of the alleged clairvoyants advising the then-fifteen-year-old that he had "wonderful psychic abilities." He began doing card readings for friends and family, then progressed to psychic fairs where he soon learned that names and other "validating information" sometimes applied to the dead rather than the living. Eventually he changed his billing from "psychic" to "psychic medium" (Edward 1999). The revised approach set him on the road to stardom. In addition to his TV show, he now commands hundreds of dollars for a private reading and is booked two years in advance (Mui 2001)
Link Here for full article (http://www.csicop.org/si/2001-11/i-files.html)

John Edward, a medium packaged and sold by the media (Generation sXeptic)

Enter veteran science writer Leon Jaroff. "Clairvoyants who claim to communicate with the dead--and warnings not to listen to them--go back at least as far as the Old Testament, yet psychics continue to flourish in back parlors and storefronts across America," wrote Jaroff in his lead to a March 6 Time magazine feature. "None today is better known or more listened to than John Edward, a fast-talking former ballroom-dancing instructor who is cleaning up on his proclaimed ability `to connect with energies of people who have crossed over.' Died, that is" (Jaroff 2001).

Jaroff is one of America' senior science journalists. Named Time magazine's chief science reporter in 1969, Jaroff has won numerous awards for coverage ranging from space exploration to anthropology. In 1980, Jaroff became the founding managing editor of Discover magazine, and like many science writers of his generation, he exhibits in his reporting a strong enthusiasm and appreciation for the scientific paradigm. A long time fellow of CSICOP and friend of magician James Randi, Jaroff has reported on several controversies related to the paranormal and the pseudoscientific, including Randi's efforts to expose psychic Uri Geller.

Therefore, for Jaroff, Edward's performances were less than remarkable, and merited critical coverage. In the Time magazine article, Jaroff explained Edward's "psychic" success as a likely result of two very earthly techniques. First, there was the old fortuneteller's technique of "cold reading," a succession of quick generalizations about individual audience members made by Edward that were meant to elicit a response, followed by a series of educated guesses based on demographics. Second, there was what Jaroff referred to as a "hot reading," a variation on the cold reading in which the medium takes advantage of information surreptitiously gathered in advance. (For a full discussion of cold reading techniques, see Hyman 1977)

In support of his assertions of Edward's possible hot readings, Jaroff detailed the experience of Michael O'Neill, a past audience member on Crossing Over who had been the subject of a reading by Edward. According to O'Neill's account, producers of the show had spliced into the final program clips of O'Neill nodding yes into the videotape after statements by Edward with which he remembers disagreeing. In addition, according to O'Neill, most of Edward's "misses," both in relation to him and other audience members, had been edited out of the final tape.

O'Neill also claimed that before the show, assistants to the producers had gathered information about audience members, including their names and family histories. O'Neill also told Jaroff that most of the conversations among the audience while they were seated in the stands waiting the start of the show were about dead loved ones, information that could have been picked up by microphones strategically placed about the amphitheater.
Link Here (http://www.csicop.org/genx/edward/index.html)for full study.

laserhazel
April 8th, 2006, 11:47 PM
I really like the positive points of this thread, either way. It is good that an increasing number of people are working on differentiating between what is a cold reader and what is a legitimate psychic".

As I have said, I think Mr. Edwards is a legitimate psychic who is doing very important work. The disturbance in the force is probably that somewhere in the bible it says for mere mortals to abstain from this type of work. However, this type of work, if supported by positive vibes, is beneficial to humanity.

The benefits of John Edwards are many. John's work is opening the minds of several people who desperately want to believe that there is a safe life after death and as a result of this new opening in the awareness of the collective consciousness there will probably be more intelligent research and understanding of what happens to the soul when the body dies.

So, though I believe he is a legitimate psychic, if I weren't I would focus on the fact that his work, though just a play on the obvious, is indeed beneficial to humanity.

ValD
April 9th, 2006, 07:26 AM
The benefits of John Edwards are many. John's work is opening the minds of several people who desperately want to believe that there is a safe life after death and as a result of this new opening in the awareness of the collective consciousness there will probably be more intelligent research and understanding of what happens to the soul when the body dies.

So, though I believe he is a legitimate psychic, if I weren't I would focus on the fact that his work, though just a play on the obvious, is indeed beneficial to humanity.
So when were people NOT believing in the afterlife? True or not, it's a universal religious belief that has always been with us. Spiritualism as a religion has itself being going for well over 150 years, "opening peoples' minds". Not having posturing frauds like John Edwards on TV won't change a thing in that regard.
As for his work being "beneficial to humanity", puhleeeze..... When is it beneficial to lie to and rook the bereaved?

Little Billy
April 9th, 2006, 10:56 AM
As I have said, I think Mr. Edwards is a legitimate psychic who is doing very important work.

P.T. Barnum was right.

ValD
April 9th, 2006, 02:30 PM
Why should these psychics be on TV every week doing shows for millions (viewers and $$$)?
Think about it. If they are doing a genuine service and putting the bereaved in touch with their loved ones, shouldn't that be done in private, like counselling is? And if they are doing spiritual work - "opening peoples' minds" - shouldn't that also be done in private, like all real spiritual work?

Naaah... These people are showmen and women earning a fat living from doing an updated version of carney-work. They're not spiritual in any way.

laserhazel
April 10th, 2006, 11:09 PM
So when were people NOT believing in the afterlife? True or not, it's a universal religious belief that has always been with us. Spiritualism as a religion has itself being going for well over 150 years, "opening peoples' minds". Not having posturing frauds like John Edwards on TV won't change a thing in that regard.
As for his work being "beneficial to humanity", puhleeeze..... When is it beneficial to lie to and rook the bereaved?

How about, or would you believe, the human race acts like they believe in stuff, even when they don't. Are you talking about the real John Edward or the one on channel 9? Puzzling as it may seem it is quite a distance between the real and the imaginary.

Well, if Edwards was really there, or consciously there, it might help his reception with the television viewing community. Of course, there will be skeptics, but the point I was trying to state was that whether he's legit or not, he is helping to stir a positive development of information concerning what REALLY happens to a persons soul when their body dies. This is kind of beneficial to humanity.

ValD
April 11th, 2006, 07:05 AM
How about, or would you believe, the human race acts like they believe in stuff, even when they don't. Are you talking about the real John Edward or the one on channel 9? Puzzling as it may seem it is quite a distance between the real and the imaginary.

Well, if Edwards was really there, or consciously there, it might help his reception with the television viewing community. Of course, there will be skeptics, but the point I was trying to state was that whether he's legit or not, he is helping to stir a positive development of information concerning what REALLY happens to a persons soul when their body dies. This is kind of beneficial to humanity.
Interesting - so not only do you know that it's not the REAL John Edwards on TV, you also know what the entire human race believes and has believed!
Do tell us more!

~Elise~
April 11th, 2006, 07:46 AM
Remember The Rule... no need to get snarky.

Elise

Xentor
April 11th, 2006, 07:53 AM
Admin mode

There's no rule against being snarky. ValD's post didn't break the respect rule.

ValD
April 11th, 2006, 08:23 AM
Admin mode

There's no rule against being snarky. ValD's post didn't break the respect rule.
It's OK Elise - I can get pretty sharp without realising it, and I need the occasional reminder to step back. So thanks.

~Elise~
April 11th, 2006, 09:06 PM
no problem...I'm EXACTLY the same way.

Elise

Little Billy
April 11th, 2006, 10:48 PM
How about, or would you believe, the human race acts like they believe in stuff, even when they don't. Are you talking about the real John Edward or the one on channel 9?

Who is the guy on channel 9, then? A pod person? :hairraise

DoktorSick
April 16th, 2006, 11:48 PM
P.T. Barnum was right.

he sure was.

enchantedmoongoddess
June 10th, 2006, 06:28 PM
Seems to me like the author of that article is reaching.

DoktorSick
June 11th, 2006, 12:14 AM
I was just thinking it would be
just so freaking hirlarious to see
john edwards on a episode of punked.

Agaliha
June 11th, 2006, 12:53 AM
Okay, I just read most of this thread. I used to watch him on SciFi.
I oftened wondered if he was not as great as he appeared to be (I think he has a gift, it's to the degree of it I'm not sure about).
There were times when he seemed right on with everything and told things he wouldn't know by a cold reading-- like how would he know the grandmother wore pink slippers and left them somewhere or another-- on the first try?
He didn't go though the colors of the rainbow...then again are pink slippers really common, I don't know?
Also could he just be using cold readings to get started, then using his real abilities as he got deeper?
I think he's a mixture of real and bending the truth of his abilities.
I don't care if someone believes in him or not, I'm basically in the middle with it all...I don't really care.
If there's nothing on and it's late and I'm bored out of my mind, I'll watch.

proxieme
July 4th, 2006, 04:16 PM
Did anyone catch that HBO special "Life After Life: America Undercover" a few years back?
It seemed to be a fairly balanced programme with views from all sides.
An "double blind"ish experiment in which a handful of psychics were placed in a room with a variety of. The psychics and subjects were initially placed in seperate rooms and were allowed no contact with anyone after the readings were done (so there was no "tipping off" involved. All of the psychics read all of the subjects once. During the readings, the psychic in question was on one side of the room and seperated from the subject by a curtain.

From what I remember, all of the psychic mediums involved had very similar readings for all of the people (most of it not stuff that could be cold read from the sound of a person's voice; one instance in particular that sticks out in my mind was one lady who each medium read a very hyper small dog running around her). Absolute devil's advocate: sure, she sounded like a lady who would have a deceased small dog...but I don't think so.

John Edward was one of those involved in the experiment.
He wasn't one of the ones that impressed me, frankly, but he did seem to track with the others.

Did anyone else see it?
I'm afraid that my description's not doing it justice.

laserhazel
July 5th, 2006, 02:08 AM
A pod person?? Perhaps. I think it is more like doppelganger of the real deal.

The whole lot of people communicating with the dead is damn interesting, that is why I think John Edward is cool. I don't understand why people feel like they need to cut people down.

I was trying to respect the flow of the content of the original post in this thread. But what's worse than arguing with God?

WitchyLady777
November 27th, 2007, 01:57 AM
I worked with the guy briefly doing the psychic fairs he did before he got famous. My general impression was that he was psychic and that he didn't scam, but made an earnest effort to do the readings straight, however, the older man I see now on the TV, and what he is doing is a far cry from the younger man he was then.

I think he does have a gift, but I also believe that unconsciously he's been doing a lot of cold reads too.

If you will notice he's gone from doing a lot of private readings to doing mostly straight TV and writing books, a pretty common thing with celebrity psychics.

Bottom line he doesn't have to work as hard to reach people these days.

For what it's worth I think his books are well done and modest, unlike say Sylvia Browne's.

But I do think he's maybe forgotten to be honest while reading, that he's on auto-pilot more and more these days, and that's really sad, because the young man I met was extremely gifted.

MHO, he's still got it, but he needs to make it less about business and more about heart or he will lose it.

~Elise~
November 27th, 2007, 02:54 AM
I worked with the guy briefly doing the psychic fairs he did before he got famous. My general impression was that he was psychic and that he didn't scam, but made an earnest effort to do the readings straight, however, the older man I see now on the TV, and what he is doing is a far cry from the younger man he was then.

I think he does have a gift, but I also believe that unconsciously he's been doing a lot of cold reads too.

If you will notice he's gone from doing a lot of private readings to doing mostly straight TV and writing books, a pretty common thing with celebrity psychics.

Bottom line he doesn't have to work as hard to reach people these days.

For what it's worth I think his books are well done and modest, unlike say Sylvia Browne's.

But I do think he's maybe forgotten to be honest while reading, that he's on auto-pilot more and more these days, and that's really sad, because the young man I met was extremely gifted.

MHO, he's still got it, but he needs to make it less about business and more about heart or he will lose it.

You know--I agree with you...there isn't as much heart most times as there was even when he first came on TV... But--the times he's the most right on and accurate is when his emotions are engaged...like a child coming through, etc. You can tell those times more than others lately, it seems. (and I'm a fan)

Elise