PDA

View Full Version : Caught 3 yr old saying christian prayer....

Haerfest Leah
March 18th, 2006, 11:08 AM
Loralie & Brianna have been going to daycare since October when I started working and thismorning for the 1st time after we gave her her bowl of cereal I caught the tail end of that little "God is great god it good....Amen" prayer they used to make us say in school.

I mentioned my concern about that here when they 1st started going and now it has happened. I'm sure she's just copying the other kids.
http://mysticwicks.com/showthread.php?t=118795

I will be leaving my job on the 14th of April because we're moving this year. So they are both coming back out of daycare then to be back home with me.

I want to lightly interject or something if I catch her saying it again, what do you all think?

Ceres
March 18th, 2006, 11:22 AM
It all depends on what you want to teach her about god. I think god is the same no matter what name we call It and so if it were my child saying it, I would prolly answer with something like, "Yes I think she is great too!" and then make a point of mentioning, in the course of conversation over time that I think the god that gramma believes in and the god that I pray to and the god(s) that the hindus have statues of are all parts of the same thing; the same god.

But if that isnt how YOU see god or what you want to teach, it doesnt really help much.

Faeawyn
March 18th, 2006, 11:24 AM
I think at this age she's just mimicking what she's been hearing. She doesn't conect the Christian "God" to her prayer as long as they're not teaching Christianity at her daycare. I wouldn't worry about it for now...or perhaps make up your own little prayer and teach it to her. Then she can say that at daycare and maybe the other kids will mimic her :lol:

2steps
March 18th, 2006, 12:10 PM
My daughter was singing a song yesterday she learnt at school about how god cares for us all and looks after the world and my son says he's a Christian after learning about them at school :ugh: I'm not sure what, if anything to do about it either. Though I do think she's, and your daughter too are just reciting what they hear and it doesn't mean anything to her. I'm not bringing my children up as pagan or in any religion but worried about how they could be negativily influenced against paganism.

As we have the equinox in a few days, I am going to use that as a chance to talk about it as a pagan celebration and how there are many different religions

Willow Rosette
March 18th, 2006, 12:48 PM
I made a point when Victoria started pre-school to tell them I do not want her being taught Christian prayers or songs or anything else. I will expose her when I feel she can understand more than one point of view. It took me several trys to find one that did not do anything religious. But now that it is already done I would personally try changing the words of the song from God to Goddess. I rememeber at Christmas time we were listening to music and they said something like that and Victoria went along great with it. Good luck.

SilverClaw
March 18th, 2006, 01:07 PM
"God is great god it good....Amen" prayer they used to make us say in school. That is what my eldest daughter was taught in kindergarten ( 3 years ago), and my youngest daughter in preschool.

I taught Cloey about prayers when shew as three and when this prayer came up, all I did was ask her what about the Goddess if she still believed she existed and if she still said her prayers to her.. and man that brought up alot of conversations and questions and good insights from her.

( I also just asked Cloey if she remembered that prayer and she said ya but now she adresses her prayers Lord and Lady....:) )

As for my youngest who still is in preschool she is not saying it anymore either.

Haerfest Leah
March 18th, 2006, 03:47 PM
It all depends on what you want to teach her about god. I think god is the same no matter what name we call It and so if it were my child saying it, I would prolly answer with something like, "Yes I think she is great too!" and then make a point of mentioning, in the course of conversation over time that I think the god that gramma believes in and the god that I pray to and the god(s) that the hindus have statues of are all parts of the same thing; the same god.

But if that isnt how YOU see god or what you want to teach, it doesnt really help much.

I get what you are saying. I believe they are all different/separate beings. So no they are not all the same God or Goddess to me. I'm Heathen and my husband is ....well....confused. lol

Faeawyn, Yeah she has no concept of deities or religion yet.

2steps, Yes the equinox would be a good time for teaching but unfortunately I have to work that day so she'll be in bed by the time I get home from work. My next chance will be on Easter.

Visha'sMommy, And you know I said that the 1st day they started there. I saw the kids at lunch do prayers and I asked about it, the owners daughter said they don't have to say them unless they want to. I told them our kids wouldn't be doing it. But apparently Loralie decided to just jump in although she has no clue whats going on.

Thanks everyone for the replies. My husband said she hasn't been doing it at dinner time and then we remembered that well she's only at daycare for breakfast and lunch so that's what meals she associates with the prayer. We may not worry about it much since she's leaving there in 1 month and we'll say something if she starts saying it again at home. Like change the word or something.

Antoninus
March 18th, 2006, 04:08 PM
Id let it slide. I dont see the point of getting riled up.

Shes young, kids often experiment with different things without fully understanding what theyre doing. As others pointed out, shes probably repeating what she hears in school. She'll probably grow out of it.

Thats just my opinion, I plan to let my kids choose what they want to do as far as religion. Ill answer questions and Id LIKE Pagan kids, but the choice is ultimately up to them

misschief
March 18th, 2006, 04:18 PM
i think you should leave her alone and let her build her own belief system throughout her life.

Lunacie
March 18th, 2006, 05:02 PM
You could teach her this one...

God and Goddess, great and good
We do thank you for this food.
Blessed Be.

I just posted that at http://www.worldprayers.org/index.html - cool site, lots of different prayers in all kinds of religions or none at all.

Haerfest Leah
March 18th, 2006, 06:18 PM
Antoninus, I completely agree.

Lunacie, Thanks I like that one.

Rhisiart
March 18th, 2006, 06:34 PM
Christian prayer at 3? Your going to have to start a rigorous campaign of de-programming and physical torture ifyou want to nip this in the bud now...Im really sorry about your loss...the fact is though, if your not keeping them locked in a box during the day, theyre gonna hear stuff and do what other kids are doing. Doesnt mean she knows what shes saying, but youll know once shes been born again, cuz she'll have that glazed, starry eyed vacant look in her eye, open mouthed, drooling...oh wait thats heroin...sorry...:fpartyfav

Willow Rosette
March 18th, 2006, 06:39 PM
Wow Lunacie I love that site. That is a great one that should be shown to everyone.

Semele
March 18th, 2006, 06:43 PM
i think you should leave her alone and let her build her own belief system throughout her life.

Yes, this is great advice...just don't forget that she may need some guidance. Such as not ignoring all together which we sometimes do for fear of forcing veiws on kids. If you take all the "god" away it will become foriegn and thus a very highly interesting subject to your children and they will seek it out. Either way they will find their own way huh?

I am tired but I think that my opinion is to let her say what she thinks is a fun little rhyme and in the mean time talk to her about what god could possibly mean to her.

Haerfest Leah
March 18th, 2006, 08:32 PM
I am tired but I think that my opinion is to let her say what she thinks is a fun little rhyme and in the mean time talk to her about what god could possibly mean to her.

Yep and thanks for the input.

BlackMagicalCat
March 18th, 2006, 11:22 PM
I would never tell a child who not to pray to.Children can pray on thier own as well as being taught,thier hearts are so innocent.

Let the child pray to God if she wants to.Teach her to pray to both God and Goddes,but trying to discoarage her from praying to God,is not good.

Im sure God heard her prayer also.

Thats what I think.

Ceres
March 19th, 2006, 08:55 AM
I would never tell a child who not to pray to.Children can pray on thier own as well as being taught,thier hearts are so innocent.

Let the child pray to God if she wants to.Teach her to pray to both God and Goddes,but trying to discoarage her from praying to God,is not good.

Im sure God heard her prayer also.

Thats what I think.

This is a good point. The point of religion is to feel closeness to the divine. On the other hand, I can see your concern that she is being indoctrinated. I suppose your only options are to pull her out or try to mitigate their authority on religion. The question is, at the age of three do they have the power to indoctrinate her and at three will it matter? She likely wont remember it anyway and its certainly not any heavy duty sort of indoctrination yet.

Haerfest Leah
March 19th, 2006, 11:27 AM
I can see your concern that she is being indoctrinated. I suppose your only options are to pull her out or try to mitigate their authority on religion.

Their only being pulled out of daycare because of our moving.

The question is, at the age of three do they have the power to indoctrinate her and at three will it matter? She likely wont remember it anyway and its certainly not any heavy duty sort of indoctrination yet.

I don't think it really matters & I agree she'll forget anyways. I was just suprised and wondered what others do. Thanks for the reply.

Sequoia
March 19th, 2006, 02:25 PM
If you're super-concerned, you could try teaching her a different rhyme or prayer, perhaps simply thanking the plants/animals that she's about to consume for their sacrifice. No religious harm in that one.

Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it. It's probably a ritual to her in the same way that singing "twinkle-twinkle" is for some kids before they go to bed. I'm pretty sure that at this point, it has nothing or almost nothing to do with religion.

Heck, I went to a thoroughly Christian preschool for many years, and turned out all sorts of questioning. I wouldn't worry about one little prayer. :)

Haerfest Leah
March 19th, 2006, 03:50 PM
If you're super-concerned, you could try teaching her a different rhyme or prayer, perhaps simply thanking the plants/animals that she's about to consume for their sacrifice. No religious harm in that one.

Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it. It's probably a ritual to her in the same way that singing "twinkle-twinkle" is for some kids before they go to bed. I'm pretty sure that at this point, it has nothing or almost nothing to do with religion.

Heck, I went to a thoroughly Christian preschool for many years, and turned out all sorts of questioning. I wouldn't worry about one little prayer. :)

Thanks for the kind words. _pounce_

DragonsChest
March 20th, 2006, 12:23 PM
This struck me as kinda odd: "Caught 3 yr old saying christian prayer.... " The conotations of the word "caught" are that the child is doing something wrong or bad. Praying, at any age, is not a bad thing, imo.

If it's just that you're upset the child isn't praying to your specific diety, then I'd do what others here have suggested and introduce a few different prayers and rotate them with the one you "caught" her at. Even at that young age, if you make saying that prayer somehow bad or forbidden, you run the chance of making it even more attractive. And it doesn't sound like you want that!

My daughter asked me the other day if she could become pagan. I shrugged and said she could be anything she felt called her, as long as she was sincere. (She's 15). Just because we are Christian, I'm not going to freak if I catch her saying prayers to the Lady. :gagged:

Antoninus
March 20th, 2006, 04:22 PM
I doubt Pearls meant it like "I CAUGHT her..." like you'd catch someone shoplifting.

DragonsChest
March 20th, 2006, 04:34 PM
I doubt Pearls meant it like "I CAUGHT her..." like you'd catch someone shoplifting.

Perhaps not, but then, other terms could have been used to convey such a meaning: overheard, happened upon, listened to, heard my .....

"Caught" still has the conotation of wrongdoing.

Haerfest Leah
March 20th, 2006, 06:31 PM

Your right, thanks.