PDA

View Full Version : Do you encourage your kids to draw?

flar7
January 15th, 2002, 02:39 PM
just curious, what sort of activities the kids do. Do you get em
crayons and colorin books? Do you sit and draw with them?
Guarantee, that if I had a little tyke, we would draw everything
together!

Lavender
January 15th, 2002, 02:48 PM
My son loves to draw. He and his friends could spend hours drawing. They all have notebooks that they're 'building' cities in. It's quite complicated. Each has his own world (notebook) & have drawn parks, schools, airports, etc. They all have different commerce to trade with each other's worlds as well as a banking & governing system. It is so cool to watch!

But my son hates doing crafts. Well, he doesn't mind it for about 5 mins but then he gets bored & goes off. He thinks it's great that I can make just about anything but he has no interest doing any of it.

Laiste
January 15th, 2002, 04:11 PM
My son has enough art supplies to last him for the next two years or maybe more! Everyone knows he is "zee artist" and absolutely loves to draw, scetch, color, brush paint, oil paint, chalk...whatever is out there he does it! For Christmas he recieved many art goodies including a beautiful wood case filled with paints, colored pencils and such! He also got another metal, industrial looking one filled with the same!!

I always, always encourage him! Go ahead make a big old goopy mess on the kitchen table...as long as your happy... I tell him! We keep everything...at the end of the school year we go through it all and some things get hung up and others get ditched. Some get framed and given as gifts to family!

Lavender
January 16th, 2002, 02:26 PM
Laiste, will you be my mommy? :D

Laiste
January 16th, 2002, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by Wildchild
Laiste, will you be my mommy? :D

Ohhh sure honey!! Here I made a special cake just for you!!! And when we finish we can sponge paint the livingroom!!! Yeah!:p :D

Lavender
January 16th, 2002, 05:48 PM
:thumbsup: :D I'll be right over!

Laiste
January 16th, 2002, 06:15 PM
Yeah! My long lost daughter is coming home!!:D

stormyray
January 16th, 2002, 07:00 PM
My middle son is the in home artist. Every Time we go into town he tells me what he needs and all the supplies that I havent got him yet and may die if he doesnt have them in the next 5 min.( he is 9 by the way)If I get my paints out he has to draw mom painting. When asked what he want to be when he grow up. He smiles very large and says duuuuuu... I want to be the best artist in the world.

My other two boys are musical artist.

Lavender
January 16th, 2002, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by Laiste
Yeah! My long lost daughter is coming home!!:D

Yeah, from your last life...considering I'm older than you! :lol: Ok, I'll stop now. Waaay OT! :D

shadedealer
January 17th, 2002, 11:02 PM
Yes, I always have. My oldest son has become an outstanding Jeweler- precious metal smith who makes wonderful unique pieces of jewelry. I am very proud of his work. My youngest I have no doubt will master in drawing or painting nudes…

I wish he would give it a break…:rotfl:

MammaStar
January 17th, 2002, 11:51 PM
Sadly, my son is not the artistic type. He really doesn't enjoy it. Every so often he joins me when i'm doing crafts and such, but if given the choice, he'll do something else. I do hang up the stuff he does make for me, but they are mainly school projects.

Twilight Garden
January 24th, 2002, 12:20 AM
No need to encourage the kid in my house. She draws all the time. If she didn't I'd probably encourage her more. She kind of mimics what she sees though. When I used to work, I would always make personalized seasonal decorations for the clinic. So the next day, she would try to copy the kinds of things I had done. She also goes to a school of the arts, so they do a lot of encouraging there.

Imagi
January 24th, 2002, 03:42 PM
Well, my husband and I are due with our first child this August *12th* (or right around that day), but we've already discussed how much we want to leave our children open to creativity. My husband has the musical talents, and I have the visual art talent (drawing, painting, crafting), so we will definately be exposing our kid(s) to as many creative avenues as we can. They can choose if they want to pursue artistic endeavors, and which ones (if any) they choose to pursue. We just plan on supporting them all the way :)

Flaire-FireStar
January 24th, 2002, 03:50 PM
Well.. I'm not a parent, but I do remember my mom always had tons of colouring books and/or paper and crayons for me to colour on. :D

Ravensnest
January 26th, 2002, 11:16 AM
Yep, we encourage her. Both of us are artistic and my husband is also a musician. Our almost 3 year old has her own Les Paul (a baby one that is her size in black) complete with a baby amp and gig bag! Her own set of drums, a keyboard etc. But, I also give her plenty of other mediums, chalk, crayons, pens things like that. WD-40 has become my new best friend (great for getting crayon off of walls!)!! I just run behind her cleaning crayon off walls, the floor.lol anywhere her little hands take her. I tell her don't write on walls, furniture or anything other than color books or paper but, I remember even being a teenager and that big white shade over my window was oh so tempting!:D

She draws everything and has a VERY creative imagination! My step daughters think it's so funny that she carry's on a conversation with herself!! lol Little guys are too cool!

flar7
January 31st, 2002, 04:28 AM
bump

Mnemosyne
February 2nd, 2002, 03:16 PM
I am an extreme advocate of getting children to do art. In schools today, teachers focus on subjects that students will be tested on for standardized tests, language and mathematics. For this reason, art is not emphasized enough. However, many young kids become enthusiastic when doing art. Since these kids will be tested on language and art, we should fit art into these curriculums: have kids draw scenes from stories or draw pictures when doing math problems.
Drawing is very relaxing to young children. As these kids become older, they become judged on their work. Suddenly, people grow self-conscious when asked to paint or draw. If you have children, emphasize that art is a way to express oneself and do not feel pressure what others may think. By creating something new, the child will feel satisfication. So have your children practice art!!!!

flar7
February 2nd, 2002, 06:12 PM
BRAVO!! Well said.