PDA

View Full Version : Going on a ghost-hunt!

Silverfire Darkmoon
March 24th, 2006, 03:24 PM
Me and a few friends are going ghost-hunting tonight! We've got a digicam and a tape recorder and we're going to go somewhere in Hamilton to try and pick up some orb pics or anything wierd of the tape. Excitement!

Darklord_Kodiak
April 16th, 2006, 06:43 AM
Hey how did that go for you? Get anything?

fireopalmuse
April 16th, 2006, 11:00 AM
That sounds like something I would like to do. Where is Hamilton? Anyway good luck, hope you are able to get some stuff recorded !!!8O :fpraise:

Silverfire Darkmoon
April 16th, 2006, 03:30 PM
Okay, so here's two of the interesting pictures we took. These were taken at the Dundas rail station, the details of which can be found here: http://www.hamiltonparanormal.com/train1.html
We were holding our breath when these were took, as well. The picture 'Catching A Train' was taken as a train was rushing past us, which explains the lights, but this mist is the thing in question. The second picture ('mist') was taken as I was walking on a pile of old rusty rails. The last was taken in some trees, where we had craploads of orbs.
The tape recordings so far have turned up nothing, but the recorder has an internal mic, so they might be covered up by motor noise. We're tyring to find a decent external mic.
So far we've been to the Ancaster Hermitage, the Darnley Mill, the rail station, and the Morden Mill (down the way from the Darnley). We went out on Thursday (the 13th) because we thought the full moon would have an effect of some sort on anything we got, but we didn't really get anything that great. Odd.
We're going to try and get an EMF meter sooner or later.

Bunthulhu
April 16th, 2006, 03:34 PM
I think the second of those pictures is the best :)
To me it looks like there is a tall figure standing directly in front of you looking you in the face.

Monochrome Delirious
April 17th, 2006, 10:03 PM
yea that 2nd pic is pretty interesting! there are so many places here in my hometown that are considered haunted but i'm such a chicken! I don't know if i could ever venture out there and investigate. cant wait to see more pics! Hopefully you will catch something on tape, that'd be really sweet

Darklord_Kodiak
April 19th, 2006, 04:57 AM
Those are wicked. I love em. Especially the hooded figure.

Cassie
April 19th, 2006, 05:22 AM
I can see a scary looking face in the first 'mist' picture.

Cindlady2
April 19th, 2006, 05:35 AM
Cool!

fireopalmuse
April 24th, 2006, 12:20 AM
Those pictures are pretty awesome. No doubt you have got alot of activity going on there. WoW. I have a similar picture of mist that I think is my Mom.:wave: I will try to post it sometime. Bring on those pictures they are great....:yayah:

MysticWitch
April 24th, 2006, 09:19 AM
I'm a skeptic. They dont look real _inabox_

Silverfire Darkmoon
May 1st, 2006, 06:02 PM
....why are you hiding on a box? I will freely admit that these were taken with a digital camera and therefore we have no negative evidence to back us up, but I will happily say that no-one in the group has the ability to alter photos to this extent. I'm not out to prove anything, I just wanted to share pictures.
Anyway, spirit photography is difficult to prove anything at best. After all, orbs can also be dust, bugs, rain, pollen, etc. It is only after ruling out these possible sources that you can consider a more unusual reason.

Willow Rosette
May 2nd, 2006, 01:02 AM
No need to be rude. You never said you didnt want criticism. She is simply stating her opinion of the pictures.

....why are you hiding on a box? I will freely admit that these were taken with a digital camera and therefore we have no negative evidence to back us up, but I will happily say that no-one in the group has the ability to alter photos to this extent. I'm not out to prove anything, I just wanted to share pictures.
Anyway, spirit photography is difficult to prove anything at best. After all, orbs can also be dust, bugs, rain, pollen, etc. It is only after ruling out these possible sources that you can consider a more unusual reason.

Silverfire Darkmoon
May 3rd, 2006, 04:04 PM
If that sounded rude, it wasn't intentional, I can assure you.

Lunacie
May 3rd, 2006, 04:32 PM
Geeze I'd LOVE to buy some gadgets and go out ghost hunting. But the people I want to do it with it live thousands of miles from me. http://www.mysticwicks.com/images/icons/icon9.gif

Also, I'm a little worried that if I bought all that stuff my ex would think I wanted to talk to HIM again. No way. :thumbsdow

Verthandi
May 4th, 2006, 07:53 PM
Re: the mist:

What was the temperature and weather condition on that night? Were you near any wet areas? Speaking from personal experience, my house is near a creek, but is high enough above the water table that the ground is usually dry. However, on some very moist nights, we will get a mist.

Silverfire Darkmoon
May 5th, 2006, 01:12 AM
It was pretty dry and we were on a railroad bridge on the side of a cliff/escarpment, so I think natural mists can more or less be ruled out.
(for those in the area, it's the Syndenham Rail Bridge in Dundas, Ontario, Canada)

Lunacie
May 5th, 2006, 09:04 PM
I've been doing some reading and learning about ghost hunting (I sooo want to go a'huntin') and it's really great to snap several photos in a row. Then if something only shows up on one of the photos you can better tell that it's not mist or fog or a reflection. Oh, and don't smoke when you're ghost hunting and taking photos, that way you'll know it's not ciggie smoke either.

Trithemius
May 6th, 2006, 09:12 AM
I've become extremely critical of ghost photography. That's a bit of an understatement - I flat-out hate it. After seeing site after site filled with ghost photos that are 99.99999% utter crap (namely dust, moisture and light reflection orbs, near-to-the-camera-out-of-focus-outdoors-cold-weather mists, lights off in the distance that end up blurred because of the slow shutter speed used and the photographer not knowing enough about their camera to realize this, and of course the clowns who get a kick out of photoshopping pics) you start to get the idea that ghost photography is a total waste of time. No one's getting anything of substance.

My advice for anyone wanting to go ghost hunting is to leave the digital camera at home. Get a video camera and a digital recorder. Concentrate on video and EVPs.

Lunacie
May 6th, 2006, 10:11 AM
How about a thermal camera?

Trithemius
May 6th, 2006, 11:10 AM
You mean a thermal imaging camera? Those cost thousands of dollars. Basically, you're looking at the cost of a good used car for an inexpensive one. The camera that TAPS uses is something like $15,000.

But they're sooooo cool.

Silverfire Darkmoon
May 6th, 2006, 01:03 PM
I myself am rather critical of orbs, because it's obvious in many occasions that they're made by natural causes. I'm more tolerant of mists because they don't show up CONSTANTLY like orbs do and I find that they tend to be persistent for more than one shot. Fortunately since summer is coming soon cold-weather mists will be a rarity (and thank you for bringing that up, Trithemius) and our one smoker knows not to do so while we're taking the pictures. Orbs in cemeteries are something I'm really uncertain about - I mean, okay, there's dead bodies, but people don't usually die in cemeteries (at least, not in the past 100 - 150 years and there aren't a huge number of graveyards that old in North Maerica). I have seen good arguments for the idea that the amount of emotional energy poured out at funerals and by mourners would have some sort of effect, but as to the nature of that effect I have no idea.
EVP is very interesting. So far we haven't got anything, but we need an external mic for the damn recorder. We're experimenting with MP3 recordings and seeing how that works out, although the MP3 player we're using seems to be fairly unreliable in the randomly turning itself off department.
Something else that we've experienced is sudden battery drainage. Last night we were investigating a rather famous site nearby and I found that my camera's battery gauge went down while we were right at the middle of the site, but when we left that area, it went right back up (and this was with new Duracell batteries).
My group is toying with getting an EMF reader just to see if we get anything. I've seen convincing arguments for and against and we want to make up our own minds on the subject. Besides, it never hurts to try out a fun new toy, right?

Trithemius
May 6th, 2006, 02:08 PM
The only reason I don't totally discount the mist photos is because of the phenomenal mist video that was shot in the McPike mansion in Alton, IL. I despise orbs though.

Battery drainage is always fascinating. Frustrating if you're the investigator who's just lost power to his/her equipment, but cool nonetheless.

I'm not sure what I think of EMF either. I found this site (http://www.psican.org/ghostsandhauntings/emf_01.htm), which I thought was a pretty interesting read on EMF. I agree with you in that it sounds like something worth trying just to see how it goes, but I wouldn't spend a lot of money on a meter (ie. not the Trifield :lol: ). In fact, some people have reported getting better results with the el cheapo meters. They say the Trifield is too sensitive.

Silverfire Darkmoon
May 7th, 2006, 01:26 AM
Thje one we will be getting is around 30-40 bucks CDN. Unfortunately it's nearly impossible to find one online except when marketed as a ghost-detection unit, while you can tell from the packaging that they're meant for 'medical' EMF detection. Apparently a ghost/what have you will also cause a compass to act strangely. Fortunately the places we tend to go to are removed from power grids - so far we've only been to outdoor locations like the Hermitage and the BGT. There's been some talk of getting a ouija board just to see what we pick up. We're getting more organized.
I agree that photography won't prove anything, but then, nor will anything else in this field until we get proton packs and containment units and even then I daresay we'll have skeptics. So be it.
The less ridiculously sensitive the better when it comes to a n EMF meter used in paranormal investigations. Otherwise the slightest thing will set it off and you'll get a false reading. I wonder, would an EMF meter pick up the energy signature of the meter itself?
I wonder if you could use one to detect ley lines, should those be a real thing?

misty
May 7th, 2006, 11:07 AM
If this is something you continue to pursue, I would be interested in the results and what sort of equipment you use. A few years ago, my ex-husband, some friends and I went "ghost hunting" a couple of times just for fun. We went to Bath, Michigan which is listed in a few ghost books. I did some research on the place and the reason for the "haunting" before we went. We basically just used a couple of digital cameras and a digital camcorder. We got some interesting photos but nothing amazing. While we were there, we ran into a professional team of paranormal investigators and we talked with them for a little while. They gave us some pointers, but it has been so long that I don't really remember what they are....

Anywho, I would love to see more pictures of your investigations. I loved going out those few times and hope to do so again.