PDA

View Full Version : Trying To Accept My Empathy

Aeon Flux
March 28th, 2006, 06:39 AM
Yes... I have suspected for quite some time that I am an Empath and have been for as long as I can remember, but I just haven't been able to yet.

Ever since I was a child I have been able to know instinctively if people were happy or sad, sometimes even before they knew. I've been able to feel physical pain when someone else hurt themselves at times, and I have always been able to understand people very well emotionally.

BUT, I never really thought much of it. Yes... I could become compleatly disoriented and have giant moodswings during camps with lots of people. I can go from happy to sad in seconds depending on the people around me and how they are feeling.
At cirtan times it's all been so overwhealming I've almost passed out.

Also I seem to send out energy sometimes automatically in the direction to which it is needed, which leaves me constantly tired and a slight bit depressed.

Now... if this really is empathy. I need help and advice on how to deal with it. I've read up a little about it but haven't really found that much, and I must confess that recent events have made me extremely tired, so I haven't been looking THAT hard, so a little help would be greatly appriciated.

Love,
Light,
Blessings and
Deepest Thanks For Your Time And Help,

Mina

lamoka
March 28th, 2006, 11:59 AM
Merry Meet
and welcome to confusion.. take a look at my thread under paranormal titled calling all empaths... I'm beginning to think I have been all along.. took it for granted that everyone was this way and just starting to understand that maybe not "everybody".. I also am looking to ways to help with this as it can send me spiraling with anxiety and such even from a television show..
blessed be

Tanemon
March 28th, 2006, 12:48 PM
Ever since I was a child I have been able to know instinctively if people were happy or sad, sometimes even before they knew. I've been able to feel physical pain when someone else hurt themselves at times, and I have always been able to understand people very well emotionally.

BUT, I never really thought much of it. Yes... I could become compleatly disoriented and have giant moodswings during camps with lots of people. I can go from happy to sad in seconds depending on the people around me and how they are feeling.

At cirtan times it's all been so overwhealming I've almost passed out.

Also I seem to send out energy sometimes automatically in the direction to which it is needed, which leaves me constantly tired and a slight bit depressed.

Now... if this really is empathy. I need help and advice on how to deal with it. I've read up a little about it but haven't really found that much, and I must confess that recent events have made me extremely tired, so I haven't been looking THAT hard, so a little help would be greatly appriciated.

In my experience, some people (perhaps many, especially men) are completely numb to subtle energies, vibrations, or psychic impressions, or nearly so. Some people (often women) are overly and uncomfortably sensitive to these things. For balance, the first type I mentioned needs to be opened and sensitized, the second type needs to be grounded and put in greater personal control.

Your situation sounds like a person 'trying to drink from a fire hose'... you have the human desire to satisfy the normal human thirst (for self-control, inner peace, being able to help yourself and help other people), but are dealing with something pretty overwhelming.

There will no doubt be a number of suggestions as to things to you do or practice, to help you with this.

For myself, I'll just mention my own experience with sitting meditation (you can learn it at a Buddhist training center, probably not too far from where you live): it's been calming, centering, and restorative in my life. Also, I got attuned to Reiki, which is a spiritual practice or path that (by way of an attunement) gets you started in a process of healing and harmonization, leading to a greater personal integration.

Couple with these sorts of things, taking up a job or career in something that 'gets you out of your head and into your senses' can be helpful. For me, it's been things like carpentry and horticulture. I know women who have found the same sort of calming and therapeutic value in reforestation (tree planting), seamstress work, bakery work, etc.

Well, hope you get some other good input here. You can probably put together a pretty good set of habits and practices for yourself.

:sunny: Tanemon