View Full Version : looking for mice

March 30th, 2006, 02:21 PM
i love mice, i used to have one a few years ago... but now i'm starting to want them again, so i've been looking... i would get them from petco, but they only have black, and white... i want something different... different coats, different colors... but i can't find any breeders locally... so i'm curious, where do people get the different kinds of mice? my last one i got from a friend who bred them, but she's moved since then... i really want mice though...

March 30th, 2006, 02:28 PM
Veterinary/veterinary technical schools have mice that they either place in homes or euthanize if no one adopts them (which happens frequently because not a lot of people know that they can get them there). They also have guineas, rabbits, gerbils and others....most of them are albino but they get other colors in occasionally.

Moonlite Faery
March 30th, 2006, 03:19 PM
i know the humane societies and animal shelters will often get small rodents like mice, you might want to try there.

March 30th, 2006, 03:34 PM
I bought some rats from a shop selling snakes, they had mice too

Deranged Hermit
March 30th, 2006, 03:52 PM
You can have my kitchen mice! :weirdsmil
(I know, not helpful...good luck in your quest!)

person of shadow
March 30th, 2006, 03:56 PM
most mice are albino because they are so available and alot of mice are just feeder mice. the shop where I get my snake food(yes its mean but the snakes gotta eat to) they sell all the white and black feeder mice seperate from the ones that look nice so that they are in nicer conditions, and those are the ones that people buy for pets. I don't know anything about petco. I get mine from a local pet shop called fishy bizness. I used to have mice and rats, alot of them. I'm more of a rat fan but mice are sweet to.

March 30th, 2006, 04:45 PM
thanks... i just checked the shelter websites, and one shelter has tons of white mice, but they aren't local enough for me, and they are all white, which i don't really want... i'll look around at my local fish and reptile store, see if they have anything interesting... i would rather have rats, but my parent's are squeamish about rodents, so mice is all i'm allowed to have... mice are sweet enough though, and i already have everything i need for them... i think maybe i'll wait and see if i can't get someone to get me a cute pair for my birthday in a few months...

Moonlite Faery
March 30th, 2006, 04:56 PM
you might be able to come to a good compromise with your parents. I know that you might be able to find a good breeder of dwarf rats. They are very sweet and very small! You will be able to find good rat and mice breeders at this website: http://www.rmca.org/ Hope this helps!

April 1st, 2006, 05:05 AM
Cool... I didn't know they had dwarf rats! Nice to know!

April 1st, 2006, 02:11 PM
i haven't been able to find any rodent breeders in the area... one rat breeder is sort of nearby, but she's in a city i don't like to drive to... i hate freeways... i'm kind of hoping i'll just come across some in a rescue situation, thats generally how i get my pets... i guess i just have to keep my eyes open... the dwarf rats seem cute, but i still think they might be too big for my parent's liking...