PDA

View Full Version : Light, summery dessert recipes?

Calen
April 1st, 2006, 11:46 AM
My boyfriend is cooking me dinner for our anniversary, and I want to make a dessert, preferably a cake. I'd like to have something a bit lighter than many desserts are though, and ideally something with fruit in it. I really like eating fruit at night.

The first thing that came to my mind was fruit trifle, but I make that all the time, and I'd like to try something different. Any ideas?

Lunacie
April 1st, 2006, 01:15 PM
Here's one I just saw in a magazine.

Easy Lucious Cream Puffs

1/2 pkg (17 oz) frozen puff pastry (1 sheet) - thawed
1 pkg (4 serving size) Vanilla instant pudding mix
1 cup milk
1/2 cup frozen whipped topping - thawed
1 square baking chocolate - melted

Preheat oven to 400 F.
Unfold pastry sheet on lightly floured surface, patting or rolling to make a 10 inch square.
Cut pastry into 9 (3 inch) rounds using cookie cutter or rim of a glass.
Place on ungreased baking/cookie sheet.
Bake 10 minutes, cool completely.

Meanwhile: stir together pudding mix and milk, beating with wire whisk 2 minutes until well blended.
Gently stir in whipped topping.
Cover and refrigerate for 15 minutes.

Split cream puffs horizontally.
Spoon pudding mix evenly over bottom halves, cover with top halves.
Drizzle with melted chocolate.
Serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.

Can be made with chocolate pudding and strawberry flavored whipped topping.

I'm going to try this recipe, I used to make cream puffs but they are a LOT of work, these sound so easy.

serenarian
April 1st, 2006, 04:32 PM
Tarte au citron is very nice, very light and refreshing. I'm sure if you google it you'll find a good recipe.

Tanya
April 2nd, 2006, 10:01 PM
trylittle strawberry short cakes. for something lovely use a basic biscuit dough (bisquik is just fine and easy!), cut biscuits in half, pile on sliced fresh strawberries, a drizzle of sugar and a dollop of whipped cream. put on the top. Cover and chill in the fridge.

Nova
April 3rd, 2006, 12:47 PM
A classic southern summer dessert. Fruit pizza! Can be cut into small squares or big slices. ;)

1 pkg (18 oz) refrigerated sugar cookie dough (or make your own by weight uncooked)
1pkg (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
1 container (8 oz) frozen whipped topping, thawed (or use fresh whipping cream whipped with several tbsps sugar and a splash of vanilla)
1/2 cup white sugar
1 pinch salt
1 tbsp cornstarch
1/2 cup orange juice
2 tbsp lemon juice
1/4 cup water
1/2 tsp orange zest
Assorted sliced fruit! (be as simple or elaborate as you want - three cups sliced strawberries would be beautiful - but i've done it with rings of strawberries, oranges, kiwi, pineapple, pomegranate - as many colors as I could find!)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Slice cookie dough an arrange on greased pizza pan, overlapping edges. Press dough flat into pan. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Allow to cool.
In a large bowl, soften cream cheese, then fold in whipped cream. Spread over COOLED crust. You can chill for a while after this - or continue by arranging the fruit.
Arrange sliced fruit in circles around the outside edge and work your way in. If bananas or apple are used dip in lemon juice so they don't darken.
In a saucepan, combine sugar, salt, corn starch, orange juice, lemon juice, and water. Cook and stir over medium heat. Bring to a boil, and cook for 1 or 2 minutes, until thickened. Remove from heat, and add grated orange rind. Allow to cool, but NOT SET. Spoon over fruit. Chill for two hours, then cut into wedges and serve!

KaidaMidnight
April 3rd, 2006, 02:18 PM
I usually makes this during the summer, as it is light, fluffy and you can add any type of fruit topping you want. :D

Angel Food Cake

1 1/2 cups egg whites (from 12 or 13 eggs)
1 1/4 teaspoons cream of tartar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/3 cups granulated sugar (divided)
1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla or other flavoring
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons cake flour
Heat oven to 375 degrees.

Beat egg whites in bowl (not plastic) until frothy. Add cream of tartar and salt and beat until stiff but not dry. Sift 1 cup of the sugar twice and gradually beat it into the whites. Fold in flavoring. Sift flour once before measuring, then sift 3 times with remaining 1/3 cup sugar. Fold in flour gradually. Pour into ungreased 10-inch tube pan and bake in preheated oven 30 to 35 minutes or until cake tests done. Invert pan onto funnel or glass bottle until cake is cooled. Makes 12 servings

Our favorite is berries and bananas... but last summer (towards the end) we had some many pumpkins, we didn't know what to do with them.. we actually cooked up the pumpkin (like you would for pie) and put it on top.. It was great! Just add a lil whipped topping with your fruit and there ya go! :D