PDA

View Full Version : I need some help from you guys....

serenarian
April 3rd, 2006, 04:55 PM
I'm planning to make a special dinner for myself and my boyfriend, as a little celebration when he comes to stay with me over Easter. The problem is that I have no idea what to make. I thought I'd make just a main course and a dessert, as neither of us are very starter-y people. My problem is that he doesn't like many sauces and he hates pasta, so two of my main specialities are gone out of the window before I even start. :(

Does anyone have any suggestions at all? I would really appreciate it!

KaidaMidnight
April 3rd, 2006, 04:58 PM
ok.. well.. sauce and pasta is out... anything else? ~Just so I know what you have to work with ~ :)

serenarian
April 3rd, 2006, 05:02 PM
I don't think there is anything else that he doesn't like, no. :)

KaidaMidnight
April 3rd, 2006, 05:16 PM
Well, here is a recipe that I use when entertaining. It's easy, but has a great taste...

Easy Cajun Baked Chicken

20-30 minutes baking

butter
cajun Seasoning
garlic Salt
chicken pieces, boneless, skinless

Melt butter in an ovenproof dish such as a 13 x 9 pyrex. When butter has melted, add Cajun Seasoning to it and stir to blend
Add chicken skin side down and bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees F. Turn chicken over, baste with juices, sprinkle with more seasoning and the garlic salt
Bake for another 20-30 minutes until juices run clear.

I usually make this with Scalloped potatoes and veggies...

SCALLOPED POTATOES & VEGGIES

2 large potatoes, peeled and sliced
1 cup sliced carrots
1 small onion, sliced
1/4 cup water
1 cup frozen peas
2 TBLsps. al-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsps. seasoned salt
1/4 tsp. ground mustard
1/8 tsp. pepper
1 cup milk
1/2 cup cubed process cheese product
In a 2-qt. microwave-safe dish, combine potatoes, carrots, onion and water. Cover and microwave on high for 7 minutes. Add peas; cook 4 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender.

Meanwhile, in a 1-qt. microwave-safe dish, combine the flour, seasoned salt, mustard, pepper and milk until smooth. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 4-5 minutes or until thickened and bubbly, stirring occasionally. Stir in cheese until melted. Drain vegetables; add cheese sauce and toss.

:) If this isn't good.. let me know.. I've got tons of recipes.. just let me know what your looking for :)

serenarian
April 3rd, 2006, 05:18 PM
That sounds good. I'll have to have a think on that, thank you! :D

KaidaMidnight
April 3rd, 2006, 07:07 PM
No problem :)

Aleannah
April 3rd, 2006, 07:13 PM
you could do cornish game hens (you can cook them just like chicken) some steamed veggies and wild rice, then for dessert, one of those mixes that makes brownies or key lime pie or pecan bars.....

serenarian
April 19th, 2006, 04:21 PM
Just a quick update - thank you for all your recipes. In the end I did roast chicken with vegetables and roast potatoes, and pancakes with cherry sauce and ice cream for dessert. It was really nice.

Lunacie
April 19th, 2006, 04:25 PM
Thanks for the update. I'm glad you two were able to share a lovely dinner. Might become a tradition, eh?

serenarian
April 19th, 2006, 04:34 PM
Might become a tradition, eh?

I hope so, Lunacie. :D I'm hoping that one day we might move in together.