PDA

View Full Version : My First Mental Health Visit

Amethyst Rose
April 5th, 2006, 04:40 PM
I thought I'd keep you all updated....seeing as how everyone here has put up with me for as long as you have... :)

I had my first visit with the mental health therapist today (his name's Greg). The hour was basically an interview of my life up until now, and how I feel and the triggers and what not. I can definately see how it'll sort somethings out for me, with more therapy. I'll be seeing him again in 3 weeks, to continue the interview...we ran out of time today. He wanted it to be in 2 weeks, but his son has surgery that day (he's only in town on Wednesdays).

Anyway....tomorrow I have to go have some blood tests to rule out any physical factors for fatigue (checking my iron, thyroid and blood sugar), and I'll know those results in 4 days.

Basically it sounds like were working on the theory that I'm not actually depressed, but suffering from Anxiety, brought on by feeling out of control, which is the result of obsessive compusive tendencies about organization. Basically, having a two year old not follow my schedule, or get dirty or not listen, etc., and having a husband who doesn't do things when I ask has been pushing a big red button, which causes anxiety, which I react to with anger and then feel depressed about the anger.

It makes perfect sense, really. :)

Now all I have to do, if this is what it actually is, is figure out how to cope...which is what the therapy is for.

That's the good thing about this guy.... he told me that people come to him when they don't want drugs, and when therapy is the most promising solution for them. That was nice to hear. :)

Thanks again for your support everyone.... it's nice to feel like there's a light at the end of the tunnel.

RunningBear
April 5th, 2006, 04:50 PM
That all sound like very good news. Glad to see things are looking up :) :hugz:

WitchJezebel
April 5th, 2006, 04:56 PM
Great! You've definitely taken steps in the right direction. Once you get the tests back from the blood work then you'll know for sure if it's physical or not. I'm glad you've decided to try getting help without meds first, there's time for that later if you need it.

Amethyst Rose
April 5th, 2006, 06:34 PM

Oh, and I forgot one thing....he gave me homework. :) He said that I'm supposed to think on the following question: "What do I need to feel well?" He emphasized that it doesn't say 'feel happy'. He's also going to be sending me some reading material at some point.

Ceres
April 5th, 2006, 07:54 PM
Thats awesome! I am glad you found someone you feel will help you.

Brenda
April 6th, 2006, 05:50 AM
:hugz: :hugz: :hugz:

Calen
April 6th, 2006, 06:25 AM
Yay! I'm glad your first visit went well, and that you're feeling optimistic about the whole thing. :)

Faery-Wings
April 6th, 2006, 06:37 AM
Good for you. The first step (s) are the hardest.
I have a lot of the anxiety issues and when I feel out of control, my OCD kicks in big time, then as I can't control that, the anxiety ups itself... big cycle.

Hopefully, Greg will teach you some ways to deal with the anxiety and reduce the OCD. If youneed anyone to kick some ideas around let me know- BTDoingThat.

Lots of luck to you hon.
:hugz:

fahawk
April 6th, 2006, 11:56 AM
Hooray- so glad for you
I too have dealt with anxiety- and it was a real blesssing to find a therapist who really helped me sort things out
made such a difference in my perspective and outlook :)
Now I dont care so much if "things" get done - good luck

Willow Rosette
April 6th, 2006, 11:17 PM
Oh A.R. Im so glad you had a positive experience. Honey you are such a love and deserve to be happy with your life. Im so glad you feel a sence of hope about him. Please keep us updated on how you are doing and anything we can do to help.