PDA

View Full Version : Problem Puppy

Tanya
April 10th, 2006, 11:39 PM
Ok, now we've got the puppy house trained, and he's very bright, but he's fast heading to the pound. We are developing a 350 acre organic farm, a big part of our farm plan is reforesting large areas, some in fruit and nut trees, some in natives(thus planting hundreds of trees). Our puppy (4-5 mo) has clearly NOT read the plan. He has dug out $100 worth of trees to date (about 1/3 of the trees we've planted!!) I haven't the time or the money to fence every tree I plant. Our entire farm is fenced, so we have let him have a very happy puppy life with LOTS of room to run and exercise and dig where no one cares, but alas, he only likes to dig up MY trees. Even though I think its horribly sad, the only solution I see is to chain up his bum. I hate to see dogs chained, hate it. I think it makes them crazy and spawns all kind of neurotic habits,short of giving him away... any ideas?

zede
April 10th, 2006, 11:55 PM
you would have to acompany him everytime he goes out and correct the behavior to get him to stop. a pain in the but to be sure but i'm afraid that other than preventing access to the trees there is no other way.

person of shadow
April 10th, 2006, 11:58 PM
Instead of tying him up, you could try a kennal it's not the best thing in the world but...... If I was you, I would go to the library and find some books on the issue.

DanuMoonrunner
April 11th, 2006, 01:20 AM
Cayenne pepper spray around the bases of the trees. It shouldn't hurt the trees, but will stop the puppy digging (and burn his nose from the smell).

Aleannah
April 11th, 2006, 04:21 AM
have you considered building him a nice dog pen to keep him in, then every day let him out to run and play if you want, but monitor him and correct his digging while you're right there. He doesn't know any different yet, and won't know until you can show him.

On a side note...if you decide to do the dog pen thing, make sure you dig down and put the fence down into the ground a bit...and make sure to put boards or something along the bottom so the little darling can't dig out of his pen. :)

Cindlady2
April 11th, 2006, 06:32 AM
Yes, a pen for when you can't watch him, but take him with you when you do work sometimes so he can learn. The spray is a good idea too.

halfwaynowhere
April 11th, 2006, 01:02 PM
a tie out isn't as cruel as it seems. its cruel if you leave the dog chained up all the time, but as long as its long enough for him to run around, have access to water, and is in a clear area where he isn't gonna get tangled up, its fine for short periods of time. we use a tie out for our mastiff, because he chews on anything he finds in the yard, drags stuff around, and jumps on the windows. we put him out for a few hours in the daytime, he likes to sleep in the sun, and he needs to be able to run around. also, consider a pen for your puppy, that will limit what he has access to, but still allows him to run free without a chain. good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Moonlite Faery
April 11th, 2006, 02:11 PM
I would agree with a dog kennel. They are secure and safe and will keep him out of trouble. And the money you will save in the long run will be worth it! :)

Tanya
April 12th, 2006, 08:25 PM
You guys probalby are right, a kennel is the long term answer, since I leave him to go to work for 8-10 hours 3 days a week. When I'm around he's great. The thing that really drives me up the wall is he knowshe's not supposed to do it. When I get home if he's been digging, I know from his wildly servile body language that he's been at it, I just need to hunt around and find his dastardly deed. We will try the pepper spray. Then I guess a kennel...I guess we can always use it later when he grows out of this as a giant rabbit hutch.

chrestomancie
April 14th, 2006, 05:03 AM
If he is the right kind of dog I would use an underground fencing system. However, some dogs go right over the fence.