PDA

View Full Version : May Writing Challenge Discussion

Akeyla
April 25th, 2006, 07:49 PM
Alright so I guess I should get this thing rolling here.

I thought we would keep it simple for the first go around and see how it goes.

In other words, I am looking for suggestions for opening lines and three items to include in the story

So the way it works or that way I would like it to work is this.

1. If you can suggest an opening line to use as well as 3 objects in the story. For example the one I just did was 'I killed someone today,' and we had to mention an apple, the color purple and blood in the story.

2. I would like to get at least 10 possibilities and then we can vote on which one to do. This pole will go up for a week or two.

3. Once it is decided, we have two weeks to write the stories.

4. Then you can submit them to me, via email, and I will post them all annonymously (sorry I hate that word).

5. Then we vote for which one we like the best. The winner will get a Banner while everyone else will get a small Icon or Pips to have if they want.

6. Last but not least, we then get to comment and critique everyones work and give each other a big old pat on the back.

Remember this challenge isn't necessarily about winning but more about practice and trying something new.

Word limit will be 1000 words although 1100 is ok, but no more then that please.

So anyone who wants to participate can post a suggestion for an Opening line and Three things, even if you don't want to do the challenge but have a good line, that will be great too.

Lets just have fun with this one:cheers:

Bethra
April 25th, 2006, 08:01 PM
:boing: :boing: :boing: oh this really does sound like fun hmm need to put my thinking cap on. I'll be back :D

Maybe I should wait a moment till I'm less fragmented though otherwise its going to be something stupid like giving your keys to your car to a drunk chimp :D Yeah I'll go sleep off this insanity and dream up a good begining. :D

Bethra
April 25th, 2006, 08:11 PM
Oh no no I have one already I'll have to re work it if we go with it but that wont be a problem :D

Opening Line: "It was a typical, characterless, 1960's block of flats, long since lost its fashionability, if that is, it ever had any at all."

Items for including: "A kettle", "a biscuit barrel", "kitchen utensils"

Feroxyhite
April 26th, 2006, 06:16 PM
"I didn't mean for it to happen."

The three objects:
A clock
Glass of water
A fallen pine tree.

medit8ive_spirit
April 26th, 2006, 08:34 PM
"You must fly to the past in order for the future of today to bring about the change of tomorrow!"

the three items:
crystal ball
a cloak
a polaroid camera

SilverSeraphim
April 26th, 2006, 10:54 PM
The shattered remains of the vase lay on the floor- aptly symbolic of his life.

Items to use-

A yellow daisy
roasted peanuts
tears

argento_occhi
April 27th, 2006, 12:38 AM
It was a very interesting window, that rectangular piece of glass sitting in its aluminium frame.

Items:
a cherry
the tooth fairy
a stapler

RubyRose
April 28th, 2006, 01:49 PM
How about:

I was often told that red hair was a sign of bad temper, and that green eyes were a sign of evil.

Items:
A doll
A music box
A Butterfly

Akeyla
April 28th, 2006, 05:51 PM
Yeah, we just need four more and we can start.:boing:

"The chandelier couldn't hold our weight much longer."

A bird cage
a crown
and a rose tattoo

Ok, now we need three more.:T

Ivyrose
April 28th, 2006, 06:03 PM
"The sun shone dimly through the dirty window."

a bath
a puppy
a photograph

Philosophia
April 28th, 2006, 08:48 PM
They silently waited against the drowning wind.

a letter
a rocking chair
a deserted house

purple dragon
April 29th, 2006, 01:18 PM
yesterday was the worst day of my life

rounder's bat
a deep hole
a banana skin

Morr
April 29th, 2006, 01:44 PM
He looked up at me and smiled, as he played with the sharp knife in his hand.

Chair
Newspaper
meatball sandwich

MerrisHawk
April 30th, 2006, 12:00 AM
In other words, I am looking for suggestions for opening lines and three items to include in the story

Why do these things always happen to me?

)Blindfold
)Whiskey
)Song

Bethra
April 30th, 2006, 09:32 AM
Why do these things always happen to me?

)Blindfold
)Whiskey
)Song

Sorry honey this ones closed but be sure to look out for next months challange and submit it again. :)

Akeyla
April 30th, 2006, 07:39 PM
Yes the idea generating part of this dicussion is closed although I will take down your suggestion for future use.

However this thread can still stay open for discussing anything else about the challenge.

Any questions, concerns, or anything else you can think of.

MerrisHawk
May 1st, 2006, 02:01 AM
I'll catch it next time. LOL
I noticed the poll right after I posted.