PDA

View Full Version : Going off of BC question

Moonlite Faery
April 28th, 2006, 05:34 PM
This is a funky question to be asking I think, but I really want to know so here goes. Anyway, I have been on birth control for like 3 years now, I'm on the pill and hardly ever miss one. But.....I have completely lost my sex drive. And its killing my hubby, he basically has to beg to have sex, and if we do its maybe 2 times a week at best. Which is really really bad considering where we were before. So my question is, would it be good for me to go off of BC? I have enjoyed having pretty much no period and minimum cramps. But I'm tired of my body not being "normal" are there any side effects I shoud be looking for with going off of the Pill? What was it like when you went off of the Pill? :cheers:

Seren_
April 28th, 2006, 09:15 PM
I'm sure it depends on the pill you're on so it's difficult to say in your case since each pill differs in the level of hormone(s) it releases into the body.

Being on the pill - any pill - can screw up your hormone levels so that might be what's causing your loss of libido. Other factors that can majorly affect your libido are things like depression or a natural change in your hormone levels...If you haven't had a health check in a while, it might be a good idea to see your doctor. They will be able to make the appropriate recommendations.

From my own experiences, however, I have to say that I plan never to go back on to hormonal birth control - at least until I'm done with having kids. I was on the progestrone-only pill on and off for about five years and I always had trouble with it. Then I was told that because of the extended period I'd being taking it my hormones were all out of wack and it was likely I was infertile; ironically getting pregnant was the best way to fix my problem. Luckily for me infertility turned out not to be the case, as my avatar will attest :) Not to be doom and gloom about it all, but infertility can be a problem for some women when they take the pill long-term.

If you're not happy with the pill you're on - for whatever reason - I'd say there's no point in taking it. Your doctor might recommend a different pill, or you might be able to use alternatives, but it's probably best to get medical advice before you stop taking it or at least google the brand name of your pill to see what the side effects might be. Don't expect an immediate return to normality when you stop taking it, for some women it can take months for your hormones to return to normal - especially after an extended period taking it.

MysticWitch
April 28th, 2006, 09:21 PM
This is a funky question to be asking I think, but I really want to know so here goes. Anyway, I have been on birth control for like 3 years now, I'm on the pill and hardly ever miss one. But.....I have completely lost my sex drive. And its killing my hubby, he basically has to beg to have sex, and if we do its maybe 2 times a week at best. Which is really really bad considering where we were before. So my question is, would it be good for me to go off of BC? I have enjoyed having pretty much no period and minimum cramps. But I'm tired of my body not being "normal" are there any side effects I shoud be looking for with going off of the Pill? What was it like when you went off of the Pill? :cheers:

If the pill is causing your body to be out of sorts, why do you keep taking it? There are other ways to prevent pregnancies. IUD's are really good. :wave:

starfire
April 28th, 2006, 10:39 PM
Basically the way birthcontrol pills work is to "fake" your body into believing it is pregnant so you won't ovulate. We discussed some of these problems in a recent college class I had with a OB-GYN, and one of the side effects was loss of libido. So there are a couple of things to do, first talk to your OB-GYN and find out if there are any different ones that would be better.

One of the ones I speciffically asked him about was the one where you only have 4 periods per year. He really doesn't like that one, and feels it isn't good for your body.

I had to stop taking the pill for health reasons such as severe chest pains and stabbing headaches. I had not trouble not being on them, in fact I previously was irregular which the pill did regulate, and stayed regular after stopping. I had no other side effects. I always have had a strong sex drive that didn't change, infact not having to worry about getting pregnant improved mine.

You could try condems and or the diaphragm. I liked the diaphram because you can insert it several hours before hand and then when things get heated up, you can enjoy the moment instead of having to get up and all. Of course there are risks of pregnancy with anything, so it is a personal choice. My husband actually liked using a condem because he could last longer, therefore pleasuring me to multiple orgasms (I am such a lucky girl).

Good luck, and remember when you are ready to have a baby, sometimes it can take a bit for the body to readjust. Except when you miss that one and bam you're pregger when you didn't expect it. Isn't it amaizing how that works. lol

Moonlite Faery
April 28th, 2006, 11:01 PM
Well I am definately getting off the pill after reading your posts. I have had such huge gaps between periods that I couldnt even tell you how many a year that I have, but its very minimul, and you have freaked me out with the infirtility thing. YIKES!!

Moonlite Faery
April 28th, 2006, 11:12 PM
just one more quick thing, can being on birth control for 3 years cause infertility if you havent had many periods??

DreamSpell333
April 28th, 2006, 11:26 PM
Im not sure about the pill causing infertility.. I would say check with your doctor.. I do know that for a women to be able to to get pregnant,she has to also have a period.. but then Im not a doctor.. Good Luck :)

Moonlite Faery
April 28th, 2006, 11:39 PM
yeah, before i was one birth control i had pretty regular, pretty not fun periods. i have spoken with my doctor and she assured me that it wouldnt cause infertility and that i should be thankful that i dont have periods very often and that i should be thankful...gotta love the birth control supporting doctors. and the birth control pill i'm in is called Mircette.

Seren_
April 29th, 2006, 05:49 AM
Don't worry about the infertility thing. The way it was explained to me is that taking hormones for an extended period of time can make the body lazy - it doesn't need to bother because the pills are doing it all for you. It only affects a very small percentage of women, but when the doctor lumped me into that category (without doing any tests, I might add) I was more than a bit pissed off - it was something I hadn't been warned about. For the most part the body will right itself, sometimes straight away, sometimes longer. It took about 18 months for me so if your periods don't get back to normal straight away, I wouldn't worry.

Moonlite Faery
April 29th, 2006, 12:17 PM
that does make me feel a bit better. :) I talke to my mom yesturday and when I told her that 2 of my very close friends are on their second pregnancies she said dont get any ideas! Which says to me she wants us to wait to get a house and the fact that we live in a different state, she wouldnt get to spoil the baby as much! :lol:
But I am tired of my body being out of whack so I will stop taking the pill, probably wont be a fun transition. But I want to get good and healthy and my body back in tune

DreamSpell333
April 29th, 2006, 12:26 PM
My parents have told me one kid is enough,and keep telling me I should just have Hannah..But im stubborn and dont listen well lol.. Plus I really want another child and a sibling for hannah to play with.. :)

KaidaMidnight
April 29th, 2006, 03:42 PM
I was on the pill when I was younger because I didn't have regular periods.. when I got off of them at age 17, I felt a TON better. I noticed that while I was on the pill (and then later on the patch) I didn't have much energy, and always had headaches. I was on the patch for about about a month after my youngest was 6 weeks old. After a month on the patch, I had enough and stopped using it. I feel so much better. We use natural family planning now. Sooo much nicer as there are is nothing in my system to make me feel yucky anymore. :) Good luck hun!!!!