PDA

View Full Version : spicy nummy sauce

Kendrah
May 1st, 2006, 05:48 PM
I am trying to make a filling for onigiri (japanese rice balls in which you stuff something in the middle.) Since I don't think the traditional fillings of tuna/ fish or pickled plume, I'm looking for something spicy to mix with chicken. I don't like the taste of mayo but can stand it if it's mixed with other things. Any ideas?

thewhitetigress
May 1st, 2006, 06:34 PM
umm.. chicken?? how about a little twist to the japanese rice and add something east indian?? like those canned mixtures (ie:tikka marsala)??

(shrugs shoulders.. dunno, just an idea lol)

Kendrah
May 1st, 2006, 07:23 PM
umm.. chicken?? how about a little twist to the japanese rice and add something east indian?? like those canned mixtures (ie:tikka marsala)??

(shrugs shoulders.. dunno, just an idea lol)

Well, I'm looking for suggestions. I didn't see no canned mixtures of anything (didn't know what to look for, though) at wallyworld. Traditionally, it's tuna and mayo stuffed in the middle. I am just not completely partial to japanese flavors yet. I'm starting slowing.

But I thought some kind of spicy saucy stuff (like mexican pulled apart meat) or maybe even a bit more creamier (like with a mayo base) something.

What is tikka marsala, btw?

Faery-Wings
May 2nd, 2006, 06:27 AM
What about ground chicken instead of the tuna,then add a touch of ginger, wasabi and soy sauce for flavor and then hold it together with a bit of mayo?

LostSheep
May 2nd, 2006, 09:04 AM
I don't know about Japanese cooking much, but I was tempted to click on this when i saw the title and wondered what on earth Spicy Mummy sauce might be - some kind of ancient Egyptian recipe, perhaps?

Oh, and tikka marsala I think originated in England. It rocks.

Stuff: http://www.sonzyskitchen.com/chickentikka.htm

Pagan Mantis
May 11th, 2006, 05:54 AM
I like Faery-Wings' idea using wasabi. I always think about the old Budweiser commercials... anyway, back on track... wasabi is really spicy, like the Japanese version of horseradish, kinda. Holding it together with mayo is an excellent idea as well.

Faery-Wings
May 11th, 2006, 06:31 AM
I like Faery-Wings' idea using wasabi. I always think about the old Budweiser commercials... anyway, back on track... wasabi is really spicy, like the Japanese version of horseradish, kinda. Holding it together with mayo is an excellent idea as well.
If you do use wasabi- go easy, it is really spicy like P M said.
But it will clear your sinuses out real fast.