PDA

View Full Version : Remember when...

WokeUpDead
May 13th, 2006, 03:17 PM
I haven't seen any remember when things since the yearbooks in middle school but that's not the point. You're going to contribute to this nostalgic crap and you're going to like it. I'll get things started I guess.

WokeUpDead
May 13th, 2006, 03:17 PM
...we had to get by with only 10 karma pokes a day

MysticWitch
May 13th, 2006, 03:19 PM
...When we used to buy bingo cards at the variety store and sat infront of the tv to play BINGO and when you got one you had to phone in REALLLY quick! :hehehehe:

CoolJ
May 13th, 2006, 03:46 PM
Remember pogs? ... I'm not sure why.. a few minutes ago I opened this thread and couldn't think of a thing, ... now all of a sudden I remember kids playing with pogs

Shanti
May 13th, 2006, 03:48 PM
Remember when..

I was sweet, and inocent?_catroll_

Nah, me neither.:hahugh:

WokeUpDead
May 13th, 2006, 03:51 PM
Remember when I felt like I fit in somewhere?

CoolJ
May 13th, 2006, 03:52 PM
Remember when coca-cola had cocaine in it?

MysticWitch
May 13th, 2006, 03:56 PM

that is such a myth :hahugh:

Deranged Hermit
May 13th, 2006, 03:59 PM
...you could buy a loaf of bread, a container of milk, and a stick o' butta with a $5 bill? (and karma to anyone who can tell me where that phrase came from :hehehehe: )

MysticWitch
May 13th, 2006, 04:00 PM
stick o' butta

Was it snoop dog? :rollingla

WokeUpDead
May 13th, 2006, 04:01 PM
Remember the good old days? I don't, because they never existed

wolf
May 13th, 2006, 04:34 PM

Remember when Coke had actual sugar in it?

Remember Bic Bananas?

Remember when phones had rotary dials?

Remember when penny candy actually cost a penny?

Karyan
May 13th, 2006, 09:13 PM
Remember when the dinosaurs roamed the earth?

Lorrie
May 13th, 2006, 09:29 PM
[QUOTE=wolf]Remember when Coke had actual sugar in it?

Ahhhhh..... the REAL thing, coke has never been the same. Hey, I have that kitty on your av on a t-shirt!!!!

GEBS
May 13th, 2006, 09:34 PM
...you could buy a loaf of bread, a container of milk, and a stick o' butta with a $5 bill? (and karma to anyone who can tell me where that phrase came from :hehehehe: )

I remember that! It was a PBS show. Like Sesame Street or something.

Deranged Hermit
May 13th, 2006, 10:16 PM
I remember that! It was a PBS show. Like Sesame Street or something.

ding ding ding, we have a winner! Yep, it was Sesame Street. An animated bit with a little girl walking to the store, saying it over and over so she'd remember what to get.
Okay, done hijacking the thread now. Carry on. :hahugh:

GEBS
May 13th, 2006, 11:28 PM
yay for me! I never win anything! :)

I remember that very well. Does that show my age?

NiftyWings
May 14th, 2006, 12:59 AM
I remember when waiting until I got married to have sex seemed like such a good idea.

CoolJ
May 14th, 2006, 01:45 AM
I remember when waiting until I got married to have sex seemed like such a good idea.

Me too. ........

Remember when American products were actually made in the USA?

CheshireEyes
May 14th, 2006, 01:53 AM
Coke was clear?
Kids didn't bring guns to school...
TV shows didn't have so many commercials....
humanity wasn't destroying the planet? Yeah, me neither, least not in this life...:sadman:

Silvan
May 14th, 2006, 02:01 AM
Remember when...

...there were only three broadcast TV networks?

...cable TV was something only rich big city people had?

...the only time you could watch cartoons was on Saturday morning, or for one hour after school on weekdays when Tom and Jerry came on?

...the only time you could watch music videos was on Friday Night Videos, since you didn't have cable?

...music videos were interesting, and novel?

...all boobs were made out of living flesh?

...women had pubic hair?

...the only places people got pierced were in the earlobes, and maybe a really freaky punk rocker dude with a mohawk might have a hoop through his nose?

...soft drinks came in 16 oz. glass bottles in little paper cartons? You would save these, and take them back to the grocery store in order to get back your deposit. The bottlers used to wash out the bottles and re-use them, and often one carton of drinks would have bottles of three or more different generations of shape and/or logo graphics.

...almost all cars mixed fuel and air in carburettors?

...distributors had points?

...you'd open the hood, and you'd see an engine, a fan, a couple of belts and pulleys, and spark plug wires, with enough room left over to stand in?

...radials were an innovative alternative to bias ply tires.

...cars were made out of sheet metal, instead of foil?

...TV dinners came in little aluminum trays, and had to be cooked in the oven?

...Hans and Franz, I'm going to pump *clap, point* you up?

...Star Wars action figures actually resembled the actors, rather than being based on models of Ahhhhnuld and Hulk Hogan? (The new pumped up Han Solo makes me want to barf.)

...the Atari 2600 was da bomb, but nobody had invented the term "da bomb" yet?

...kids used to play outside, and play with each other, instead of spending their lives with their face glued to a Gameboy or similar device?

...the World-Wide Web hadn't been invented yet?

...only people working at big corporations, and people working for or going to school at a university had access to the internet?

...the state of the art search engine technology was Archie and Gopher?

...PCs didn't have soundcards yet?

...most software only supported four-color CGA graphics?

...a 32 megabyte hard disk seemed vast beyon imagining, and had a price tag to match?

...the crappy Christmas blitz special computer at Wal-Mart for $400 wasn't three times faster than the machine you paid $1,000 for last year?

...when your memory screwed up, you opened up the case and reseated all the banks and banks of DIP chips that had popped loose, because you bought recycled memory that had been clipped out of other computers, because memory was astronomically expensive?

...when Bill Gates said nobody would ever need more than 640K of memory?

...when 2400 baud modems were so fast that almost none of the BBSes you dialed into could talk to them at full speed?

...you had to hit the reset button on your CoCo or CoCo2 repeatedly until the screen finally, randomly, happened to wind up blue, or red, as appropriate, so all the dithered colors would come out right?

...Apple //es had these obnoxious disk drives where the head positioning mechanism amounted to a plastic record with a big groove in it, and the head rode on a stylus; when you turned the thing on, the disc rotated, causing the stylus to pop out of the groove repeatedly, making a gut-wrenching clacking noise?

...Windows was something you started to run a couple of programs now and again, but all your real work was done at the DOS prompt?

...Microsoft started its long habit of killing its competitors by offering much of the functionality of the Norton Utilities built into DOS 4.0?

...the only way to get software to do a lot of things was to write it yourself, and compilers cost $500, so you ran cracked versions, because you were years away from having a job?

...typing programs out of Rainbow and equivalent magazines for other pre-PC-era computers? The listings were mostly BASIC programs to POKE a bunch of hexadecimal values into memory, since people didn't have the capability to compile and run assembly language programs without paying a fortune for an assembler. The listings were always in the most horrible, illegible font, and after spending days, months, years typing the damn stuff, there were always errors because you couldn't read the damn listing. Stuff almost never worked the first time, or the second. Or the third.

...everybody distributed files in .ARK format, and used PKXARK to extract them? Until Phil Katz (?) got his ass sued off by some nobody nobody had ever heard of, for using the same name or something. Which lead to PKZIP, and the .ZIP format that is still around today.

I could go on for hours with this crap, but this is probably overkill as it is.

Karyan
May 14th, 2006, 02:16 AM
:jawdrop:

Little Billy
May 14th, 2006, 02:22 AM
Remember when you could stand next to a storm drain without dodging tentacles? When you knew that the cop you were talking to wasn't some horrible alien creature that eats everyone he "arrests"? When the "people" that are running the country were at least bipeds? When you could be reasonably certain that the scratching noise at your window was just a tree, and not something you haven't even had nightmares about, yet? When the street-urchins weren't cannibals?

Remember when?

HeavensHope
May 14th, 2006, 03:47 AM
Remember when nap time was important?

Remember when all you had to do to show someone you like them was run up to them and give them a good punch in the arm.

Remember when deciding what to wear for the next day was your biggest concern?

*sigh* the good old days.

Infinite Grey
May 14th, 2006, 03:58 AM
Remember when I could actually think of something funny to say?

neither can I

Karyan
May 14th, 2006, 03:59 AM
For those of us that have lost this ability: Remember when our fat metabolism was of LEGENDARY status? I do...

Cindlady2
May 14th, 2006, 06:57 AM
WOW Silvan, I wouldn't think you were old enough to remember most of that stuff,... well, maybe. I remember I was so proud of how I 'zipped up" my XT computer.... A FULL MEG. of ram and 12, yes 12 MGHz!!!! 2.5 meg. HD! and 2 floppies 5 1/4" and the new 3 1/2"! I even had a 'graphic interface" to access some of my DOS programs! I knew where everything was, what it did and how to fix it! I wrote my own programs and built my own computer! I WAS A GODDES! :hahugh: Oh well.

C:\DOS
C:\DOS Run
Run \DOS\Run

And yes, the original COKE did have cocaine.

Remember when girls HAD to where dresses to school?

Remember when you learned to read with Dick, Jane and Sally, and their dog Spot?

shadowfox
May 14th, 2006, 09:09 AM
Remember when Coke had actual sugar in it?

Remember Bic Bananas?

Remember when phones had rotary dials?

Remember when penny candy actually cost a penny?
(posting this for Anubis): yup, yup and yup.. but I used to get three pieces of candy for a penny.. cause the guy at the corner store thought i was sweet and innocent.. man I really had him fooled!

NiftyWings
May 14th, 2006, 11:57 AM
Remember going to Baskin-Robbins and getting a 3-scoop cone for a dollar?

Lorrie
May 14th, 2006, 12:57 PM
Remember when computer storage was punched cards? ( I still have mine from my first computer class) and then it was great when they began using cassette tapes for storage!!!! I still clearly remember the headaches that I got from trying to get a program written out on my punched cards!:awilly: :awilly: :awilly: Lets, see, FORTRAN was the programming language, and COBOL was next- I hated COBOL, loved the next version of COBOL though! Oh, boy, then it was BASIC programming!!!!!!!

wolf
May 14th, 2006, 01:37 PM
Kids didn't bring guns to school...

Remember when ... kids brought guns to school, kept them in their lockers, and shot squirrels and rabbits on the way home that afternoon?

Illusion153
May 14th, 2006, 02:03 PM
Remember when you were a civilian, not a soldier, and you could say whatever you wanted to about the President, or anyone higher up the food chain than you?

Silvan
May 14th, 2006, 02:06 PM
Remember when computer storage was punched cards? Congratulations. You out-olded me. :)

WokeUpDead
May 14th, 2006, 02:50 PM
Remember back before people had cell phones? I don't. How did anything get done?

NiftyWings
May 14th, 2006, 03:02 PM
LOL...I don't have a cell phone yet, and somehow I manage to get things done. :hahugh: Must be magic!

Remember when you could get through a whole day without having the urge to shove someone's cell phone up their @$$? :hehehehe:

WokeUpDead
May 14th, 2006, 03:29 PM
LOL...I don't have a cell phone yet, and somehow I manage to get things done. :hahugh: Must be magic!

Remember when you could get through a whole day without having the urge to shove someone's cell phone up their @$$? :hehehehe:
It doesn't really bug me that much except when I see them talking on their phones while driving, but I've done that a few times before too. I'd rather have someone at the table next to me talking on the phone than someone across the room laughing at about 150 decibels nonstop for an hour just because they want everybody to know that they thought something was funny. A slight exaggeration maybe but it happens more than you'd think.

Zephyrstorm
May 14th, 2006, 03:53 PM
Remember when the weather report didn't include a smog index?
... when cars were the size of house boats... oh wait...
... when kids could play instead of being in seven different special activities?
... the eight track?
... when Weird Al's Beat it was brand new and novel?

(my mom, in her kindness, bought me a computer at a garage sale in like 1996 - it was an old Tandy, but didn't include the tape deck, so I couldn't do anything with it - I gave it to my brother. :lol: )

wolf
May 14th, 2006, 04:03 PM
Remember back before people had cell phones? I don't. How did anything get done?

I remember the magical time before cellphones, pagers, answering machines, call waiting, and internet access. I seemed to get a lot more done then, and had more time to spend with my friends rather than having them email me a lot of inane and/or inaccurate crap that promised doom if I didn't forward it to at least 20 other people.

Remember when only doctors and drug dealers had pagers?

HeavensHope
May 14th, 2006, 04:05 PM
Remember when there was no internet? *gasp*

Karyan
May 14th, 2006, 05:31 PM
Remember when there was no internet? *gasp*

To remember this only brings insanity! Why would anyone want to reflect on such primitive and abhorrent times?!

:P

Deranged Hermit
May 14th, 2006, 05:57 PM
remember when... Axel F didn't involve a frog? :hehehehe:

Lorrie
May 14th, 2006, 06:26 PM
Congratulations. You out-olded me. :)

Mwahahahaha, I'm not quite sure if that is a good thing or a bad one!:awilly: :awilly: :awilly: !!!!!!
Anyone remember Commodore VIC 20 ADVENTURE LAND? I found it while searching through boxes that were in storage last summer, it sits here next to my computer for laughs!

Cindlady2
May 15th, 2006, 07:17 AM
Remember when computer storage was punched cards? ( I still have mine from my first computer class) and then it was great when they began using cassette tapes for storage!!!! I still clearly remember the headaches that I got from trying to get a program written out on my punched cards!:awilly: :awilly: :awilly: Lets, see, FORTRAN was the programming language, and COBOL was next- I hated COBOL, loved the next version of COBOL though! Oh, boy, then it was BASIC programming!!!!!!!

LOL... yes I do!
Remember making X-mas wreaths out of them?

LOL I remember buying my first one (VIc 20).... and wouldn't let the kid touch it!

Pong!

wolf
May 15th, 2006, 12:01 PM
LOL... yes I do!
Remember making X-mas wreaths out of them?

I had two of those wreaths ... and a portrait of JFK printed on greenbar by a huge impact printer.

phoenixblayze
May 15th, 2006, 01:26 PM
remember when side ponytails were cool
remember when mtv came out and everyone freaked out
remember tinytoons
remember when atari was out, and the graphics were awesome

CoolJ
May 15th, 2006, 01:28 PM
remember when side ponytails were cool
remember when mtv came out and everyone freaked out
remember tinytoons
remember when atari was out, and the graphics were awesome

I stepped on our atari, breaking it :(

It had addictive games...

Lunacie
May 15th, 2006, 01:56 PM
Remember when soda pop came in glass bottles and you returned the bottle for a nickle back?

Remember when gasoline was only 27 cents a gallon? (Yep, I'm that old!)

Remember when girls wore pale pink or white lipstick?

Remember when everyone wore 'penny loafers' with a shiny new penny tucked in the flap?

Remember the very first time you wrote a check on your very own checking account? (I didn't get a credit card until 3 years ago.)

CoolJ
May 15th, 2006, 02:01 PM
Remember the very first time you wrote a check on your very own checking account? (I didn't get a credit card until 3 years ago.)

damn fine feeling...

Lunacie
May 15th, 2006, 02:13 PM
damn fine feeling...

Yeah, right up until I realized how much I hate balancing my check book! :lol:

CoolJ
May 15th, 2006, 02:15 PM
Yeah, right up until I realized how much I hate balancing my check book! :lol:
:lol: yes... I like it though.. makes me feel like a grown up..

Lorrie
May 15th, 2006, 05:36 PM
Pong![/QUOTE]

:awilly: :awilly: :awilly:

Karyan
May 15th, 2006, 05:41 PM
Remember when girls wore pale pink or white lipstick?

When was white lipstick popular????

HeavensHope
May 15th, 2006, 07:27 PM
Remember when hairspray was a necessity...until we realized that it sent out CFC's that ate a hole in the ozone layer.

Deranged Hermit
May 15th, 2006, 08:43 PM
Remember when the presidential address was something important? Nah, me neither.

Philosophia
May 15th, 2006, 08:49 PM
Remember when the presidential address was something important? Nah, me neither.

:yayah::fpraise:

Lunacie
May 16th, 2006, 12:24 AM
When was white lipstick popular????

About 20 years before you were born, m'dear. ;)

Savage Goddess
May 16th, 2006, 12:48 AM
Remember when gas was $.99 a gallon?

Silvan
May 16th, 2006, 03:07 AM
I had two of those wreaths ... and a portrait of JFK printed on greenbar by a huge impact printer.I still have one of those somewhere.

Though I'm enough of a whippersnapper that I never actually used punch cards for anything.

Cindlady2
May 16th, 2006, 04:44 AM
Body shirts
hip huggers
moccasin boots
love beads
:fpeace:

TaysatWesir
May 16th, 2006, 05:55 AM
that is such a myth :hahugh:
But it use to have chocolate...

TaysatWesir
May 16th, 2006, 05:57 AM
I remember playing hide and go seek or freeze tag in the parking lot :lol: that would be dangerous but we still played there.

wolf
May 16th, 2006, 01:38 PM
Remember when gas was $.99 a gallon?

Only vaugely, because it didn't stay there long.

I do remember 29.9 cents.

CoolJ
May 16th, 2006, 01:43 PM
Remember sex, drugs, and rock and roll? .. .now all we have is AIDS, crack, and techno... :T

wolf
May 16th, 2006, 02:13 PM
Because of the drugs I don't remember the other ... what was it, two or three things?

Lorrie
May 16th, 2006, 03:02 PM
I still have one of those somewhere.

Though I'm enough of a whippersnapper that I never actually used punch cards for anything.

:T

Lorrie
May 16th, 2006, 03:04 PM
Remember sex, drugs, and rock and roll? .. .now all we have is AIDS, crack, and techno... :T

Too true, my brother!!!!!!!!

WokeUpDead
May 16th, 2006, 04:46 PM
Remember when rock stars lived fast and died young instead of still going on tour at age 60. coughmickjaggercough.

maphdet
May 18th, 2006, 10:42 PM
Remember 'jelly shoes' ...

Philosophia
May 18th, 2006, 10:47 PM
Remember playing cricket in the middle of the road...

Jolixte
May 18th, 2006, 10:52 PM
Remember when books were actually made out of material that lasted more than a decade (if that)?

Cynyr
May 18th, 2006, 11:33 PM
I remember when Cracker Jack boxes actually contained a decent toy that was durable. Boy, did I show my age or what?

Lunacie
May 19th, 2006, 09:24 AM
I remember watching the first episode of Star Trek. My family only had black & white tv and I so wanted to see it in color because Spock was supposed to have green skin. (They dropped that idea after a couple of episodes.)

wolf
May 19th, 2006, 02:42 PM
I remember when Cracker Jack boxes actually contained a decent toy that was durable. Boy, did I show my age or what?

I think the key concept was "that you can choke on."

Of course, neither I, nor any of my friends, were stupid enough to choke on these excellent toys. I especially loved the compass in the itty bitty tire.

I also loved the food coloring tattoos. I may even have a pack or two of those in a drawer somewhere.

phoenixblayze
May 19th, 2006, 06:19 PM
i remember garbage pail kids......eww

wolf
May 19th, 2006, 06:57 PM
Wacky Packages (http://www.wackypackages.org/) were MUCH cooler.

NiftyWings
May 19th, 2006, 07:14 PM
Remember when the "Safety Restraint System" in a car was your mom's arm flung across your chest when she made a sudden stop?

Cindlady2
May 20th, 2006, 07:00 AM

Little plastic toys you put together! Games that wern't just paper. Bird calls.
All kids of neat stuff! :hahugh:

I remember watching the first episode of Star Trek. My family only had black & white tv and I so wanted to see it in color because Spock was supposed to have green skin. (They dropped that idea after a couple of episodes.)

I had to go to the kitchen and watch it on 18" B&W!

...I especially loved the compass in the itty bitty tire.

Notice that no 2 pointed they same way? LOL

Rember how BAD Lost in Space was?

Philosophia
May 20th, 2006, 07:29 AM
Remember when computers were clunky and large...

Zephyrstorm
May 20th, 2006, 11:21 AM
Remember "Land of the Lost" *shudder*, "Buck Rogers", and the original "Battlestar Galactica."

Remember the Smurfs?

Lunacie
May 20th, 2006, 11:56 AM
Remember Mighty Mouse and UnderDog?

(Who are the cartoon heroes today?)

Ooooh! Remember Rocky and Bullwinkle?!