PDA

View Full Version : Losing the ability.

Karyan
May 15th, 2006, 05:01 PM
For a long time I've always known that I was good at "reading" other's emotions. My mother has always told me that I was in touch with other people's feelings at an age when I wasn't even supposed to understand what feelings really were. But I've noticed that ever since I've transitioned into what I now refer to as the most painful part of my life I seem to be losing my empathic ability. It seems as though I've been dealing with so much personal pain that I'm losing my ability to sense/feel the emotions of others. Is this common or possible? Can I ever get it back?

Tanemon
May 15th, 2006, 05:20 PM
For a long time I've always known that I was good at "reading" other's emotions. My mother has always told me that I was in touch with other people's feelings at an age when I wasn't even supposed to understand what feelings really were. But I've noticed that ever since I've transitioned into what I now refer to as the most painful part of my life I seem to be losing my empathic ability. It seems as though I've been dealing with so much personal pain that I'm losing my ability to sense/feel the emotions of others. Is this common or possible? Can I ever get it back?

My experience: When I was a little younger than you, and again when I was a few years older, I went through painful and confusing periods of life. I believe that, like you, I experienced a reduction of my ability to feel other's emotions, except those emotions that other people had that were similar to the ones I was experiencing at the time (or related to similar issues).

I wanted stability in my life, so I explored a number of things, each of which has much to recommend it, in my opinion: meditation (yoga-type,... also did zen meditation); communication processes (learning to give "I messages" e.g., taking responsibility and saying "I feel [this] about what your are saying [or doing]"); and inner explorations of my own basic feelings, as opposed to my reactions to these feelings. But after, and in addition, to all these valuable things, I got attuned to Reiki, and a lot of very old 'inner baggage' just melted away.

The end result was a return to my ability to feel what other people are feeling, to be able to relate to it, usually without being overwhelmed by it. It broadened my spectrum of sensitivity and response, while at the same time diminishing my own personal emotional obsessions.

Hope this may be of some help...

:sunny: Tanemon

Starlight*Rains
May 15th, 2006, 05:23 PM
I too lost some of my abilities for a while. I now have the majority back as well as new ones. Just focus on honing your abilities and find what works for you. They will come back with a little work!

Lorrie
May 15th, 2006, 05:23 PM
You may be putting automatic shields up and not know it! I blocked emotion a while back when it hurt too much, and am now trying to unblock it, those pesky shields don't want to stay down, I am having a frustrating time with it! The pain in your life may have become too great and your mind shut it down to cope with it all. Just a possibility. How to stop it? I don't know, I'll let you know if I can ever get it all working properly again!!!!!!!:hahugh:

Kendrah
May 15th, 2006, 05:31 PM
I agree with the others. Also, when you hit puberty, certain psychic abilities come and go. So it is possible that you lost that through the transition into adulthood.

Pesha
May 15th, 2006, 11:06 PM
As you grow and become stronger in yuorself, you will find your empathic gifts coming online in full strength. Personal problems often mask our abilities to sense others. Relax and feel at ease. All will come to you in time.

LadyAriana
May 16th, 2006, 02:04 AM
I had a similar problem, like many have said, during a very emotionally traumatising point in my life. I felt rather like I had a psychic headcold that I couldn't unstuff. Someone mentioned automatic shielding which is a strong possibility, especially if you're feeling stressed. Try a mini-vacation, find something that could help you relax, take an extra nap if possible, anything to unwind.

Yes, your abilities will come back. They are a part of you, and won't ever leave you.