PDA

View Full Version : puppy potty training (and other training questions)

halfwaynowhere
May 25th, 2006, 03:20 PM
My dog is now 8 months old, and she's not housebroken yet. its really my fault, i have been too lax with training... she's a chihuahua, and weighs less than 4 pounds, so i don't put her outside because our yard isn't safe for her... i have tried potty pads, but she doesn't like to go on them, even when i put them in the places where she usually goes... I think i'd like to be able to take her out on the leash twice a day so she can go, but i don't know if that's going to be enough.. she's a small dog, and i don't know how long she can hold it... i also don't know how to make sure she knows that outside time is for pottying...
i'm also having other problems training her... for the longest time i couldn't find any treats that she would eat, and now that i have, she doesn't associate them with being good... so i stopped giving her treats, and am just praising her, which seems to be working... she started associating the word Sit with getting a treat, and doesn't sit on command... my mom isn't helping, every time she tries working with her with the treats, Daphne will stand up on her hind legs and dance around begging for the treat, so my mom gives it to her because she's cute, which is bad, but my mom won't stop... so i've given up on treats... i want to take her to training, but i don't have a lot of money... i just got my tax refund check, and so i could afford it, but would rather use the money to pay my mom back some of the money i owe her... but i'll spend it on training if i have to... i know i should have been working on her from the start, and i have been trying, but with school, its been hard... so now that i'm on summer break, i can devote more time to her... any ideas on how to train a stubborn dog? she just needs to know where and when to potty, to sit, stay, heel would be nice, but not necessary because she's so small and easy to walk anyways...

person of shadow
May 25th, 2006, 03:58 PM
My Chi.s are stubborn too, I think its just the breed, I've finally gotten mine to go on paper, they think I'm trying to kill them when I try too leash train them. If you have a small fence you could put her in, keep an eye on her and if she goes, then praise her with treats and love and she'll get it(hopefully), you need to take her out about every 2-4 hours if not more. These guys are alot diffrent than big dogs who can hold it.

SilverMaiden
May 25th, 2006, 08:32 PM
The toy size dogs can not hold their bladders for long. Maybe you could try a litter box approach with her.

I disagree, teaching smaller dogs basic obedience is important. Dogs are dogs regardless of size. In a dog's world it is not about size but attitude.

I personally have more problems with owners with misbehaving dogs because they don't believe their dogs need to learn how to behave. A small dog with dominant personality will challenge a larger dog. If you can not control your dog, it could very well die or be severely injured by a correction from another dog.

Respect your dog and teach her how to behave. You'll both enjoy the bond you create.

Pick up some books on training dogs. Remember you set the rules and everyone needs to be consistant on the rules. For every time you allow her to break a rule it takes 10 times of doing it right to correct that lapse.

Clicker training might be more in line. I'd also explain to your mom about NILF rule. Nothing in Life is Free. Your dog does not get anything without first doing a command. That way she understands exactly where her place is in the pack. You'll have more control over her and be more relaxed when you have company or take her anywhere.