PDA

View Full Version : Discordian/Erisian altars?

zionwood
May 25th, 2006, 04:21 PM
Any Discordians or Erisians have altars? If so, what are they like?

MoonDragn
May 25th, 2006, 04:24 PM
Probably a mess.

zionwood
May 25th, 2006, 04:31 PM
that's sort of what i wondered...if it's a religion based on disorganization.

Cain
May 25th, 2006, 06:33 PM
I believe Amber Wynd or Eldora_Avalon are the best to answer this question. I'm not that sort of Discordian, I don't really go for the religious trappings of the thing. However, yes, some people do have altars. I remember a picture of one, a while ago. Looked pretty much like most altars, but I'm not an expert in that field, so dont take my word for it.

eldora_avalon
May 25th, 2006, 09:59 PM
that's sort of what i wondered...if it's a religion based on disorganization.
Based on Chaos, not disorganisation.

coeur
May 25th, 2006, 10:02 PM
Apples! And hot dogs!

eldora_avalon
May 25th, 2006, 10:05 PM
I believe Amber Wynd or Eldora_Avalon are the best to answer this question. I'm not that sort of Discordian, I don't really go for the religious trappings of the thing. However, yes, some people do have altars. I remember a picture of one, a while ago. Looked pretty much like most altars, but I'm not an expert in that field, so dont take my word for it.
Amber Wynd has a nice one, but I forget what is on it. AC from another forum has a really cool golden apple with either K or Kallisti on it. I just throw together stuff I need for whatever I am doing at the moment. I have a buffet, the kind of furniture that has drawers and cabinets for dishes and stuff, and I keet all the stuff I need there and in the kitchen. I have incense, candles, stuff like that. The thing that probably looks most like an alter is the top of my TV. I have antlers above, a lava lamp, another lamp from Spenser's, a skull 'snow'globe that has bats instead of snow and another skull that has sound effects. Oh, there is also a pet rock named Rocko and a clock that has an eagle and a wolf. I also have a crystal ball, but those things are tricky and mostly I just end up seeing the other side of the room upside down :hehehehe:

Little Billy
May 25th, 2006, 10:57 PM

Well, I can't speak for anyone else, but mine involves a crotchless wetsuit, a waterbed full of jello, and a pillory for people who make altars.

And a prairie squid. Obviously.

Little Billy
May 26th, 2006, 12:01 AM
http://www.subgenius.com/bigfist/pics6/allyourbase/aLLyOURsLACK-Sinphaltimus.jpg

Meabh23
May 31st, 2006, 02:33 AM
Mine involves a bottle of Jack and some old cigarettes (leftover from the last time I had guests over). Pathetic, right?

maphdet
May 31st, 2006, 02:39 AM
Just from a language perspective does the word Kallisti, mean Invite Her or Welcome Her?

Just asking.

Little Billy
May 31st, 2006, 02:42 AM
Just from a language perspective does the word Kallisti, mean Invite Her or Welcome Her?

Just asking.

It means "To the prettiest."

maphdet
May 31st, 2006, 02:55 AM
Hmmm...must brush up on her greek then.

Meabh23
May 31st, 2006, 03:09 AM
Hmmm...must brush up on her greek then.

It was Hindi, or so I thought.

maphdet
May 31st, 2006, 03:13 AM
Maybe, I have done NO research into it.
I only go by what I've been tought.

eldora_avalon
May 31st, 2006, 09:35 AM
According to the Original Snub, Eris was not invited to a wedding. Soooo, she made a golden apple with Kallisti, which means to the prettiest or something like that. She threw or rolled this golden apple into the reception. Well, we all know the bride is the prettiest at her wedding, even if she isn't. Instead, 3 snotty, uppity goddesses decided they were each the prettiest. They started a little fight about it. Zeus was a big chicked head. The three goddesses were.....I forget. Anyway, Zeus decided it would be a good idea to have a human male decide which was the prettiest, then whatever happened later would be his fault :spaceman: So, I remember one of the goddesses now, it was Aphrodite, because she bribed Paris with the offer of the most beautiful woman on Earth. He decided he wanted Helen of Troy so he picked Aphrodite as the prettiest, took Helen from her husband and started a war that destroyed Troy, his home.

Cain
June 1st, 2006, 06:36 AM
Eris wasn't invites and so she took one of the Golden Apples of the Hesprides (sp?) and carved Kallisti, "to the prettiest" into it and rolled it into the wedding reception she hadn't been invited to. Athena, Hera and Aphrodite all argued over who it was meant for and asked Zeus to sort it out. Kinda put Zeus in a bad position, what with Hera being his wife and Athena being his daughter (can't remember how Aphrodite was related), so he outsourced the answer, sensibly, to a third party.

Squiddy
June 5th, 2006, 01:40 AM
And a prairie squid. Obviously.

Please stop maligning squids. We be a noble race or some damn thing. :nyah:

Little Billy
June 5th, 2006, 01:41 AM
Please stop maligning squids. We be a noble race or some damn thing. :nyah:

So who is maligning squid?

LB,
Does other things to squid.

Squiddy
June 5th, 2006, 01:46 AM
Lol!

Little Billy
June 5th, 2006, 02:02 AM
Lol!

You have to remember to de-beak them first, though.

There are loads of neophyte Subgenii walking around singing soprano, because they forget that prairie squid have beaks.

Squiddy
June 6th, 2006, 12:18 AM
De-beaking, eh? :idea: That's just crazy enough to work.

Meabh23
June 6th, 2006, 05:22 AM
Squid?

Little Billy
June 6th, 2006, 08:38 PM
Squid?

Prairie squid, to be precise.

Amber Wynd
June 7th, 2006, 09:50 PM
Yeah, I have an altar. It's more of a witchy type affair, though. I have a double headed goddess goblet to represent both Eris and my other diety, two goddess figures, some fossils and shells and crystals, my crystal ball, an incense burner, some tarot cards, etc. Lots of candles. At this moment in time, I'm no longer Discordian, but I still claim Eris as one of my goddesses so I guess that just makes me a chaos witch.

Here's a picture of my altar.

Amber Wynd
June 7th, 2006, 09:52 PM
Ooops. I forgot to load the altar pic - here it is:

Slyph
June 12th, 2006, 09:43 PM
Well my desk has idols of all the great spiritual teachers

Fat Budda, Buddy Christ and Darth Vader.

Little Billy
June 12th, 2006, 09:44 PM
Well my desk has idols of all the great spiritual teachers

Fat Budda, Buddy Christ and Darth Vader.

I have the Elvis Buddha on my desk.

Jenne
June 12th, 2006, 09:57 PM
I have the Elvis Buddha on my desk.

How ZEN of you, LB! :lol:

THIS I gotta see--any pix of him?

Jenne
June 12th, 2006, 09:57 PM
Ooops. I forgot to load the altar pic - here it is:

Beautiful! TFS, AW! ;)

Sev
July 20th, 2006, 07:36 AM
I'd say my room makes a fairly good alter to chaos...

Zurtok
August 3rd, 2006, 04:10 AM
I consider the trunk of my car to be an altar to Chaos. Though, that has more to do with the fact that it hasn't been cleaned in the 5 years I've had the car. At this point I also consider it an interdimensional portal, containing...everything. So far I've catolouged a Teapot, 15 or 20 books of various origens, a Fat Buddha statue, a TI-83 caculator, a tin of christmas cookies (you know the kind), various types of clothing from various sources for various genders, among other things. I refuse to clean it based on the principle that if it's cleaned, I will remove something I will need one day, that will then be out of my reach at the precise moment I need it.

Meabh23
August 3rd, 2006, 04:20 AM
My kitchen sink is a good altar to chaos, so is my shower. That's all I am willing to say about it now.

Rev. Incognito
August 4th, 2006, 11:49 AM
there are no altars anywhere.

eldora_avalon
August 4th, 2006, 12:20 PM
I thought everything was an alter, or at least had the potential to be an alter. :nyah:

LIAL
August 4th, 2006, 08:03 PM

Mine is a toilet seat that has been "upper decked" with miscellaneous drugs and bodily fluids smeared all over it. I keep it in the bathroom of a local dive bar.

Lets Go Bowling
August 8th, 2006, 02:09 AM
Mine is a toilet seat that has been "upper decked" with miscellaneous drugs and bodily fluids smeared all over it. I keep it in the bathroom of a local dive bar.

That's too sacred for me.

I lost my altar in a poker game.

My next altar will be a wad of gum stuck underneath my boot.

merlo
August 12th, 2006, 07:15 PM
That's too sacred for me.

I lost my altar in a poker game.

My next altar will be a wad of gum stuck underneath my boot.

I tried a wad of gum from my boot, doesn't taste good. And my alter has this huge dragon guy glowering down on this angry looking femme, it's called defiance. i'M thinking she'd so kick his a$$. There is also a couple of burned out candles, because you know the lights sometime go out, but I ran out of matches. Is it time for recess yet? If not, may I be exscused to the loo?

Baron von Hoopla
August 28th, 2006, 04:19 PM
Am I the only one who has a sticky copy of Swank on my altar?

Shame.

eldora_avalon
September 29th, 2006, 12:41 AM
http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/5738/erisianalterme7.jpg
Strictly speaking, this isn't exactly an alter, but it is the closest I have to one in my apartment.
1 Lamp from Spencer's, the blue stuff swirls around when the lamp is on.
2 Lava lamp.
3 Lego Wizard
4 Pet rock, Rocko, complete with fuzzy hair
5 Pirates of the Caribean skull from McDonald's that is like a magic 8 ball, you ask a question, but instead of flipping it upside down, you lift the eyepatch.
6 A skullglobe, like a snowglobe, but it has skulls inside and the stuff that floats around is bats.
7 A halloween skul that makes scary sounds.
In front there is an incense burner.
In back there is a clock.
Hanging on the wall behind are a set of Carribou horns with a specially made dream catcher. It has the usually webby thing, but it also has a pentacle.
On the other side on the wall is one of those annoying magic eye pictures.