View Full Version : Soap Making

June 5th, 2006, 10:52 AM
Hi All,

I am very interested in trying to make my own soaps, lotions, etc. Does anyone know any good recipes for beginners? I've got a book on making soaps at home, and most of them are glycerine based, which is fine, but I'm a little nervous about using it. Are there any procautions that I sould be aware of when working with this stuff? Or are there any soap/lotion recipes that don't require glycerine that are good for beginners?

Thanks for your help!!

Yvonne Belisle
June 5th, 2006, 11:36 AM
You will want to do a search in this forum for it. There are a whole batch of threads on it that I think you will enjoy. :)

June 5th, 2006, 12:24 PM
Thank you!!

June 5th, 2006, 06:46 PM
Michael's and other craft stores have been selling soap by the "block" for ages. You can get the opaque or the clear glycerine, and it's basically melt-and-pour. You get the molds, and melt the blocks either in the microwave or over a double oven on the stove. Then add the oils and colors you want, also herbs or what have you you might also like to add, and then pour. I made these a couple of times, with great results.

Bath bombs are also easy, once you put the ingredients together. There are a lot of different recipes on the web. Same with bath salts.

As for lotions, never made those, but I know there are bases you can buy, like jojoba, and then add other essences, herbs and colorings to if you wish.

Good luck!

June 5th, 2006, 06:52 PM
i agree with Jenne. melt and pour soaps are the way to go, for starters. you can add all sorts of wonderful things to make them delightful! my favorite is a honey oatmeal soap. if you feel particularly brave, you could try making soap the good old fashioned saponification way, but that involves a lot more work than you might want to do right now. as for lotions and other body products, i wouldn't be able to help you right now, i haven't even started working with those! good luck!

June 7th, 2006, 04:46 PM
Thanks everyone! Looks like the Melt & Pour way is the way to start out. Looks like i'm making a trip to Michael's this weekend :) I'll let you know how it goes!