PDA

View Full Version : Help researching possible names for characters

Calen
June 6th, 2006, 05:02 PM
I'm having trouble finding names for my characters. I really like giving clues to a character's personality (or names that are ironic) in their names, but I am having trouble finding something that works.

I've been trying behindthename.com, but I none of my keywords have come up with anything. Do any of you know websites for finding names that go with certain characteristics, or alternative methods for finding names that you could suggest?

SilverClaw
June 8th, 2006, 03:39 AM
I am starting a new novel and going thorugh the process of naming Chacters again to, normally I look at the nationality of the charcters.. and look in baby name finders gor the different spellings and such... Other times I just mix names up I like and see what I come up with, other times I look at mythology..

Akeyla
June 8th, 2006, 09:42 PM
Baby Name books come in handy. I came across a dictionary of names once that went into the history and origin of names. That was cool, too expensive at the time, but cool.

Sometimes I just pick up a magazine and scan random names until I find one I like. I also use name generators at times, cause they can be fun too.

Try looking up words for the meaning you want. In a dictionary or a translator to get different words in different languages. That's how I got my screen name Akeyla, it means Noble in Sanskrit which is also the meaning of my real name.

Here is one link for some name generators, just for some brainstorming stuff.

http://www.lowchensaustralia.com/names/fantasylinks.htm

Pick up a phonebook and have a look, or just list names that you know and your associations with them like um - Nathan -(guy who fell down the stairs in grade school- kinda dumb) lol, or (Jason- Hot guy I wanted to date in highschool but never did) Things like that.

Goodluck, I usually get stumped on names too so I know the feeling.