PDA

View Full Version : Krishna

CleftOfLight
June 8th, 2006, 04:34 PM
Lately I have been feeling a deep connection with Krishna.I read the Bhagavad-Gita when I was bout 14.And every so often I pick it up and read a few passages.I was just wondering are there anyother books that deal with or talk abot Krishna? How important is Krishna in Hinduism? And what are all the Hare Krishna's about?

BenSt
June 8th, 2006, 08:38 PM
He's a good guy krishna :)...I have an image of him on the left side of my alter.

He's a rather complex god with amny different followers, but generally he is called 'The High Personality of God head" in that he is believed to be the most essence of Vishnu in him...in which case you could say that he is the closest Vishnu has ever come in Human form. Well apart from the obvious, a dark skinned god often called Bhagwan, Gopala (speaking of is connection with the Gopis) and Govinda (His name as the spirit of the Govindara Mountains) Krishna is one of the more complex. Basicly some ethnologists believe he emerged as a very ancient teacher, a local Dravidian God, or an amalgam of different people including rulers and tribal figures. In mythology he is the son of Yasoda, and his birth is somewhat similar to Christ's in that he was born of a virgin and a tyranical King wanted him dead. Later on he emerges as a very important figure in the Mahabharata, one of the two epics of India and the book that holds the Bhagavad Gita. The Bhagavad Gita is the discourse between Krishna and Arjuna, and is soemwhere near the middle Im not quite sure which chapter.

In worship...there are hundreds of different sects but he is mostly one of the most important figure in Vaishnavism, as he is seen as the 8th Avatara of Vishnu. Now the Hare Krishnas as you bring up are a group that honour Krishna as their master in a very monothesitic way (believing that all other Gods coem from krishna) and are part of the bhakti cults. Their movement, although popularized in the 70s is actually quite ancient going by a different name. Swami Srila Prabhupada was initiated as a desciple of an earlier Guru, whos lineage can be traced back to the Saint Chaitanya about 500 years ago. Their beliefs are not for me I must admit, but they are among many such sects. Krishna is important to them all not only becasue of his teachings in the Mahabharat, Bhagav Gita or the many childhood stopries found in the Vaishnava Puranas (Srimad Bhagavatam for example)...but also because he is so adaptable.

In less monotheistic ways...Krishna is connected to a variety of different tales, and as an important icon. I worship him becasue of the feeling I get, although he is not my personal Deity...Shiva holds much more sway. If you look on www.hindunet.com there should be many online books concering krishna, or if you want head down to your local Hindu Temple or 'little india' if you have one and look around.

Namaste

Tobias

CleftOfLight
June 9th, 2006, 05:08 AM
thank you very much tobias

acorn elf
June 9th, 2006, 08:35 AM
Wow, that was a lot of information. I have a little cultural knowledge of him from the dances I do which feature Krishna. I know that he is one of the ten incarnations of Vishnu, preserver of the world, who visit the world at various times. He plays the flute beautifully and flirts with all the milkmaids. The dance form Kuchipudi honors Krishna as its main deity instead of Shiva who is the god of dance and focus of Bharata Natyam. During the dance a statue of either deity is placed in one corner of the stage-in Kuchipudi it's Krishna. In most of the dances Krishna is strong, a good leader, handsome, and playful.

If you want stories about Krishna, you might want to look in the mythology section of your library, and take the books even if they're picture books. I found out a lot of stories about Ganesha that way. You can also familiarize yourself with his family and accomplishments in the stories.

BenSt
June 9th, 2006, 07:36 PM
You're welcome...:)

Hmm thats interesting Acorn, do you practice a number of different cultural dances or mostly Indian styles?

In one of the main stories of Krishna, he is a dancer and I know his tale is enacted through out India. Its also a tale of his main consort in his younger days, Radharani. basicly Krishna was said to have playfully taunted and flirted with the girls in his village as a young teenager. As they washed themselves in the Yamuna, he stole their clothing and forced them to come out naked before he would give their saris back. Then, he was said to have come out on moon night and began to plsy his murali alone in the woods, and the Gopis followed him secretly. There are different versions, but mostly he was discovered and they had a great time out in the woods as he played his flute...then using his power of Illusion (As Gods, Hindu Deities can directly or indirectly change the illusion of reality in certain ways) and made every single girl there think he was only dancing with her. In reality, he was off alone with Radha, the leader of the group.

Agaliha
November 16th, 2006, 06:53 AM
I'm curious about Krishna (I know don't know much about him at all) so I'll have to read the posts here later.