PDA

View Full Version : Celtic Recons -- Need Your Opinions!

Morr
June 9th, 2006, 10:23 AM
Okay, I have been thinking about this for a while, wondering if I should throw this idea of mine out here and see what some Celtic Recons (from all branches of CR) think.

I have had this sort of idea.

Ya know how they have all those CR/GT groups and Tuathas around the internet, but they are all very geographically and historically specific. As opposed to finding quite a few online and offline (and both joint together) groups for Druids, Wiccans, various other Pagan type groups and covens out there, including international ones.

I was thinking of attempting at starting a CR Tuatha -- That will first base itself online and will include all branches of CR.

This place will have self study/tutor study/classes for the basics of the various branches of CR. A new member can choose one specific branch they are most interested in it, and take up the study of it.

The lessons, teaching and tutoring will be by more advanced and experienced CRs coming from all backgrounds and branches. I would like to include history, geography, archeology, mythology, folklore, skills and daily living, amongst other things, in teaching these classes and creating these self study syllabus and information.

Aside for the scholarly aspect, of course there would be a more spiritual side.

I would also like to include "extra curicular" activities for members of the Tuatha, such as Poetry contests, Arts and Crafts exchanges (preferably that relate to old crafts and creations done by the Celtic socities), Recipe exchange, Pen Pals, and, a Scholar's corner, a general fun forum to talk, exchange ideas, etc.

I also am part of a circle of Brigid's Flame Keepers, I would like to include that in as well, and nurture it. Its so small and I feel it can grow within such a place.

I would LOVE to eventually be able to organize meet ups of this group (assuming it will take off and people will sign up, study and take an active part) and possibly sponsor Celtic Festivals, and much more.

I want this to be an international thing, open to all, and most importantly -- For free.

I remember being a young Recon. myself being so confused with the wealth of information, folklore and research that is out there. There can be so many ways to guide newbie Recons. There are so many talented and experienced Recons. out there who can aid.

Of course, those who would take part in this (especially the teaching and maintaining of the group as it grows) will have to help and devote time to this off of their own free time and good will.

Sometimes I feel the CR community is a bit scattered everywhere. It seems very solitary, when in essence the Hearth and the Tuath are essential parts of Ancient Celtic socity.

So why not [try to] bring the idea I've described to life?

I guess it makes sense to me.

I have PMed a couple of people here whom I know would be able to contribute their thoughts and ideas on the subject. However, I decided to post this publically in the Recons forum and see what the rest of you think.

ancestral_lee
June 9th, 2006, 10:34 AM
interesting idea. im certainly interested in the welsh side of things - certainly in providing information to the project

my website Y Baedd Wen (link below) will give you an idea of what im setting up (though still in the process of builing it, some of it is there so you get the idea)

lee

Morr
June 9th, 2006, 10:39 AM
Oooo I like your site!

The thing is, right now -- I want to:

1) See what other Recons in general think of this.
2) Gather 1 or 2 experienced, long time CRs who know what they're doing, for each branch, and start up a sort of outline and lesson plans, brainstorming. Ie. to create a base group who will build this from the ground up so we can slowly establish this.

I am moving to the US in a few months, so of course once I move out there, I would love to start organizing the groups meet ups (at least for the east coast area). We can have others in different areas organize other meet ups, and of course if there are members outside of the US have them create meet ups out there.

Seren_
June 9th, 2006, 05:36 PM
I think this is an excellent idea. What are you going to call it?!

There are some very good groups out there like Imbas and Celtic Well where ideas and knowledge are exchanged and shared, but as a beginner I remember feeling like those groups were a jump into the deep end. I had the history side of stuff sorted but there's nowhere out there that gives you any real idea of how to put theory into practise. More often, those groups focus on things like what a Celt really is, what a reputable source is and so on, which generally ends up as nitpicking - not necessarily a bad thing, if there's something to learn in it all, but still, when you're trying to find your feet it's not necessarily helpful.

Being a noob in the recon field can be intimidating, especially because you feel you'll never know enough (again, from my experience anyway). There seems to be very little sharing as regards to what people actually do - which I have to say I understand because your spirituality is a very personal thing - but at the same time some kind of framework/ideas/inspiration would be useful!

So yeah. I think this is an excellent idea. And also a very ambitious one!

Morr
June 9th, 2006, 05:45 PM
Thanks Seren!~

I am happy you like it!

I agree with you, I totally felt that way as a beginner, and sometimes I still do! There is SUCH a wealth of information out there, every time I think I know enough -- Someone starts a discuission on some new evidence or research or theory or old folklore story that I have no idea about, much less figure out how to approach it!

I want to help beginners.
I want to explore ideas and the past.

I'd like to give beginners a place to study from the advanced CRs, but also have a place for the advanced ones to discuiss things and issues.

A community, a Tuatha, a Clan -- But not strictly forums -- I want more, obviously as I've described here in this thread.

Its going to take a lot of work and time, but I think we can do it!

I figured that once I gather up some experienced CRs willing to help me out with this, we will all come up with an appropriate name in respect to all CR branches.

Morag Elasaid Ni Dhomhnaill
June 9th, 2006, 10:45 PM
Well I already told you what I thought, but I just wanted to reiterate here that I think it's a great idea. I unfortunately don't have enough time to devote to the teaching aspect of the whole thing, but I'd love to help in other ways.

Keeping Reul Iuil Brighde going for the past several months is something I really enjoy and I'd love to see it become something more, something larger and including it in this venture of yours is definitely the way to do it.

Gwenhwyfar
June 9th, 2006, 10:59 PM
Im not a celtic recon per say, but, Id be into checking out what ever you decide to do...sounds really interesting!

Philosophia
June 9th, 2006, 11:03 PM
I'm not a Celtic recon but my path is very similar. I'd definetly be interested in this!
:hugz:

Jolixte
June 9th, 2006, 11:05 PM
I think it's a wonderful idea. I don't have the knowledge to teach anything, but I'd love to learn.

Morr
June 10th, 2006, 03:30 AM
Thank you everyone :)

I am encouraged!

Though its going to be tough.

I will need to find people who are experienced enough to teach and/or mentor, as well as build lesson plans and all those things. Everytihng else is managable. The teaching/setting the lessons up is the trickiest part.

I will figure it out :)

I will be starting a Yahoo group for those who want to join and help "found" this little Tuatha. There we can start organizing things, brainstorming, and coming up with ways to make this happen.

Thank you for your support :)

:D

Sionnach le Fey
June 10th, 2006, 03:38 AM
I would love to check it out once it's all up together :)

Morr
June 10th, 2006, 05:41 AM
Thanks!

Now I just need a name for the yahoo group to start up everything LOL

Hmmmm..

By the way, if you would like to join the "start up" group, and be able to contribute to creating the lessons and classes, as well as syllabi (is that the plural for sylabus?) -- Please PM me your email address, so that I can invite you once its up today or tomorrow.

David19
June 10th, 2006, 11:03 AM
I'm not a Celtic Recon or anything, but i thought i'd just say it sounds like a very cool idea, maybe it'll be the start of something 'bigger'.

Morr
June 10th, 2006, 11:04 AM
:)

I WANT it to be something BIGGER.

Thanks!

_Banbha_
June 10th, 2006, 01:32 PM
Wow, count me in! :boing: Brilliant (ambitious) idea--love it. :boing:

I don't have the expertise to teach or set up grand plan... but if you need some research or digging done I'm happy to help. :D

Morr
June 10th, 2006, 01:36 PM
Thank you! We will definitly need help with research for preparing lessons and outlines. So far, I know ancestral lee, Morag and Seren can and want to help with founding and starting up this group as well... Thank you!

And hey guys, its not going to be a strictily educational thing. I want it to be a community. We'll have the Brigid's circle of Flame Keepers which I am hoping will grow as well... We'll have poetry contests, arts and crafts exchanges, pen pal stuff, etc.

And hopefully we'll be able to have meet ups and Celtic Fests of sort. Once I am moved to the US around September, it will be easier for me to look into organizing such things. I'd love to do things for the kids to, and Celtic activities, etc.

I need help with a name...

I was thinking of names.. Brainstorming..

I came up with --

~ Tuatha of the Celtic Lands
~ Sovereignty, Kings, Kilts & Legends
~ Tuatha of the Celtic Homelands

Good? Bad? Other ideas?

_Banbha_
June 10th, 2006, 02:38 PM
Those are great name ideas. My first English idea was simply: The Spear

Visualizing it long enough for everyone to grasp. :lol:

It took me a minute to realize it can't be in Irish...but maybe ligiust's could come up with some words that are --more or less?--universal among all the languages or some combinations of words? A word for unity?

An elemental name might be good given the scope of your idea?

Or--Something about salmons and hazelnuts? :lol: Or Apples (been used before: the apple branch).

*Goes off till she can think of something more constructive* :lol:

Seren_
June 10th, 2006, 03:44 PM
The problem with using terms like tuatha is that it only really applies to Ireland which might imply a bias towards an Irish or Gaelic focus, and therefore put some people off. Unfortunately I can't think of an alternative that's a bit more inclusive, except for something like "grove". It's just a thought anyway.

Also, mention of "Celtic Lands" or "homelands" might imply a political overtone for some people, which you don't necessarily want...

It took me a minute to realize it can't be in Irish...but maybe ligiust's could come up with some words that are --more or less?--universal among all the languages or some combinations of words? A word for unity?

Something like this has been attempted before, trying to find a name for Celtic Reconstructionism that's much less clunky but still inclusive. They came up with Senistrognata, which comes from the reconstructed common Celtic (I think). Still clunky, and not so descriptive of what the hell it's all about. It's not an easy challenge.

Some more universal ideas I can think of are the Celts' fairly universal reverence for wells, rivers, seas and water, which is often associated with the Otherworld. Cauldrons and so forth are tied up in this. So is the Salmon of knowledge, trees like hazel, yew, oak?

Morr
June 10th, 2006, 03:53 PM
This is all very true...

How about...

"Under the Oak Tree"...
"Ancient Hearth"...

I dont want them to sound TOO fluffy though :lol:

Morr
June 11th, 2006, 03:42 AM
I like Under The Oak Tree the best so far.
Yea or Nay?

Any other ideas for names?

Sionnach le Fey
June 11th, 2006, 03:54 AM
I was thinking of 'Under the Oak Tree' yesterday. How cool :hahugh:
I like that one.

Morr
June 11th, 2006, 04:04 AM
HeeHee! I'm glad you like it :D

banondraig
June 11th, 2006, 04:51 AM
i like "under the oak tree" too.

Morr
June 11th, 2006, 08:22 AM
Yay I'm glad you like it!!

I think I'll stick to that!

Philosophia
June 11th, 2006, 08:25 AM
Excellant! "Under the oak tree" is a wonderful name...

Morr
June 11th, 2006, 12:02 PM
Thanks so much! :D I'm excited people like it.

Morr
June 11th, 2006, 03:23 PM
Ok, I've begun working on a Yahoo Group for Under The Oak Tree.

There, those who want to help start up the group can be members -- We'll brainstorm, create and start building it all from the ground up.

I made it invitations only group.

So those who are interested (ancestral lee, Seren_, Wyld Dryad, and anyone else who thinks they can contribute on a scholarly and creative way -- ie. mentorship, advice and sources for starting outlines for classes/self study for each Celtic Recon branch, community activities, etc...) -- Please PM me your email addresses so I can invite you to the group, and we can go ahead from there.

Morag, I already have your email addy, and I will contact you soon through the group.

If ya'll have anymore ideas, thoughts, etc -- Please feel free to let me know :D

Thanks for all your support here. I appriciate it.

Seren_
June 11th, 2006, 04:22 PM
I like the name. Not fluffy at all, imho :D

Sionnach le Fey
June 11th, 2006, 04:28 PM
I can't see any fluffiness in it, either :floating:

Can't wait 'til it's all ready.

siamesegoth2
June 11th, 2006, 04:42 PM
This is a wonderfull idea Morr!

Im still having trouble finding background on my path, much of the stuff, is spread over the net, or happens to be about 3 paragraphs on one page, most of the time copywrite material just cut and pasted, so im re reading things i've seen before.

Something like this would be a great thing to be a part of. I live in france now, before i was in scotland, accsess to books was easier, but here it's very hard to get english books, never mind anything about celtic pantheons, plus i dont have that much cash to spend on books.

A condensed study and info area would be perfect.

wolf
June 11th, 2006, 05:01 PM
Sounds like a very good idea! Best of luck to you.

_Banbha_
June 11th, 2006, 07:17 PM
I love "Under the Oak Tree" :D

It doesn't sound fluffy at all and it covers every 'branch' of Celt. It dosen't really sound Wiccan either which is good. I was going to come back last night with The Hazel Branch or The Hazel Wand or Celtic Twilight but my cat decieded to chew through the phone wire on my laptop around midnight. :hahugh:

Morr
June 12th, 2006, 01:45 PM
Awesome, thanks guys!

I will invite those who PMed me to the group.

I am going to post about this idea in the CR LJ group. There seems to be a great deal of knowlegable people out there, though I have to admit I'm quite antsy about it. Worried it wont pass well there...

I think I will email the owner of the group first to see if I can even write up about a new group, etc...

If anyone is familiar with the CR LJ group, do you think they'll go for it?

Nitefalle
July 28th, 2006, 04:30 PM
First order of business - BUMP!!! :boing:

Wow, I just found this thread and think it's a fantastic idea!!!!! I am looking forward to the culmination of ideas. I have recently found myself gravitating towards the Celtic Recon path, though my interests lie mainly in the Gallic lands as well as the older cultures of the far northern UK (ie, Picts, Orcadians, etc). I am also interested in the Anglo-Saxons because I have strong Germanic influences in my path as well. As you can see, I picked the areas/cultures that either have the least information on them or are so tainted by Roman interference that it's hard to tell what's really Celtic and what's not. Not to mention that I am coming to this path from the spiritual end, so I am not as well versed in the histories as I would like. It sounds like your idea could be a true global enterprise, bringing together minds and spirits from all over the Celtic lands, whatever time period they may encompass.
I think a good idea, in fishing for teachers & guides, would be to lurk around well established organizations' websites, such as ADF or OBOD (or is it the BDO that's still around?). At least for Irish and Welsh paths, these would probably be hot spots for people with the sort of experience/knowledge you're looking for. Anyway, just an idea.

Can't wait to see what comes of this! Keep up the great work!

Nitefalle
August 15th, 2006, 02:13 PM
Hey Morr, anything ever happen with this idea? Anything get started? Do you need any help with anything?