PDA

View Full Version : Y Baedd Wen

ancestral_lee
June 12th, 2006, 06:57 PM
evening all.

ive been putting together a new website for cymric/welsh inspired paths. id appreciate any feedback please :)

just to warn - it isnt fully built yet and will be an ongoing project. id like feedback on the site and content so far.

thanks muchly

lee

the Link is:

http://spikeyface.googlepages.com/ybaeddgwyn

Iris
June 12th, 2006, 07:48 PM
I'm very interested in this site...looks really good so far! I'm on a vaguely Celtic path and the most vocal Goddess in my life is Ceridwen so...I'll look forward to seeing the site grow :)

My hometown is also pretty close to Wales and I have a lot of happy childhood memories of spending time there...not that that's really relevant, lol...

ancestral_lee
June 12th, 2006, 08:04 PM
I'm very interested in this site...looks really good so far! I'm on a vaguely Celtic path and the most vocal Goddess in my life is Ceridwen so...I'll look forward to seeing the site grow :)

ah well, i can assure you that the section on ceridwen will be rather large and in depth, as she is my farrow and adopted nana.

lee

Nantonos
June 13th, 2006, 10:29 PM
ive been putting together a new website for cymric/welsh inspired paths. id appreciate any feedback please :)

just to warn - it isnt fully built yet and will be an ongoing project. id like feedback on the site and content so far.

Nice overall styling. The pages that have information look good. I bookmarked it.

I suggest ensuring that each page has a link to the top of the site. Because of search engines, people will often arrive at a site on some page other than the main page; if there are no links to the rest of the site they will be stuck, and go away again.

I would suggest a link to
http://www.mabinogi.net/translations.htm

Philosophia
June 14th, 2006, 03:59 AM
Very nice.
From a technical POV, I think the site is wonderful. It has very few heavy graphics but I found the picture on the ritual practice to be a little heavy that it took a while to download (it could be just my computer though).
Other than that, it was very good with excellant information.

mothwench
June 14th, 2006, 05:49 AM
i think it rocks! :abanana:

i'm looking at the ritual page as well, and, though i don't mind the loading time of the graphic, i think something's gone wrong... i can only see the bottom half of the compass, the top part is a big black rectangle.

and i would personally (as i do not speak welsh, but am interested in welsh traditions) like to see more translations of the terms, like for example for what you wrote at the bottom of the ritual page, the caer vandwy etc.
if you don't want to cram it all into the pages, maybe add a glossary of terms?

ancestral_lee
June 14th, 2006, 07:55 AM
fantastic. thanks guys.

graphics - i spent a about 4 hours playing with different ways of getting the larger graphic parts on there without losing all the quality and what is up there is as good as it gets im afraid. it is a fat file i admit so apologies for the time being.

as to the translation of terms - superb idea - shall think about either doing that on the site itself or providing a glossary. actually the glossary will be w good idea.

each page should have a 'home' button just underneath the title of the page. at the moment this isnt all that clear of distinguishable i think currently working on ways to change its colour to make it clearer.

thanks for the feedback.

lee

ancestral_lee
June 14th, 2006, 08:53 AM
ok, done a touch of updating. decided against a glossary page - i can forsee he site growing as it is and i think having a separate glossary page might become unwieldy. so i think it will be better if i explain terms or provide translations in the body of the text on the relevant pages.

thanks for the suggestion though.

lee

Nantonos
June 15th, 2006, 08:46 PM
graphics - i spent a about 4 hours playing with different ways of getting the larger graphic parts on there without losing all the quality and what is up there is as good as it gets im afraid. it is a fat file i admit so apologies for the time being.
The file takes a long time to load because it is in BMP format, which is huge. Its also not universally supported, some Mac and Linux users might have troubles with it.
I can make you a PNG format version if you like, which will be pixel-for-pixel identical but much faster to load. Just let me know.

ap Dafydd
June 19th, 2006, 08:03 AM
Didn't have a problem with any of the technical side which all loaded quickly and looked fine on screen. Didn't see that there was anything that would need a particular degree of translation either though that might change if you put in any large chunks of Welsh (for example if you put the original versions of Preiddau Annwyfn or Cad Goddeu as part of your sources).

But you might want to go over the texts again and look at them as there seem to be a lot of typos and the like.

For example, you can't have a "baedd wen" because baeddod are masculine - he would be a baedd gwyn. His counterpart is the hwch ddu gwta rather than the hwch gwta ddu. In some places you write Annwfn and in others Annwfyn.

gwyn eich byd

Ffred

ancestral_lee
June 19th, 2006, 03:48 PM
hi ffred, and thanks/. any spelling or grammar errors are purely my own. unfortunately the easiest way of writing for the site is to do it it real time on the browser rather than word process it first - hence the missing 'y' in Annwfyn sometimes. my own kak handedness has meant im now word processing and spell checking first :)

i also appreciate the grammatical assistance on the welsh - my own welsh has gotten poor as hell since i moved to england so its good to have someone who knows whats happening to point out my mistakes

was planning on unveiling to the Welsh pagans group at some point to get things like grammar checked out, also my harshest audience. might wait till its more complete before i take that plunge

thanks again

lee

ap Dafydd
June 20th, 2006, 07:55 AM
i also appreciate the grammatical assistance on the welsh - my own welsh has gotten poor as hell since i moved to england so its good to have someone who knows whats happening to point out my mistakes

was planning on unveiling to the Welsh pagans group at some point to get things like grammar checked out, also my harshest audience.

Go on, you know we're pink and fluffy really!

gwyn eich byd

Ffred

(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Welsh_Pagans for anyone who's wondering what we're talking about...)

Apologies for advertising, btw!