PDA

View Full Version : Pep Talk

Niamh
February 3rd, 2002, 03:23 PM
I'm not giving one, I need one!

Here's the short of it... since Thanksgiving I've...
Been dumped by my fiancee (together 3 1/2 years)
Moved back in with my parents
Quit a decent job and began one I don't like

Why'd I quit? Couldn't afford to stay where I was. Plus I didn't want to be alone. I was hours away from family and close friends.

So now I'm feeling depressed, sometimes fairly worthless, and just generally out of it.

I know I need to stop eating the chocolate and cookies, especially when I'm not even hungry, but does any one have some advice or words of wisdom for me?

I try to walk and jog on the treadmill every day (outside if weather is nice). I try to leave the house when I begin to feel particularly bad about myself. I guess my biggest problem is the stress/depression eating and motivation.

Well, if nothing else helps, I think venting may have a little!

Mnemosyne
February 3rd, 2002, 08:37 PM
Niamh,
Don't feel alone; we all have felt stress and depression at one time of our life or another. In my opinion, you have made progress by letting your frustations out. Some people hold all their bad emotions and end up drowning themselves in unbearable depression. Furthermore, you have made a good decision by going out when feeling bad and getting some exercise. Besides jogging and walking, have you ever tried yoga? I particulary find it relaxing and a great way to relieve stress!!! Or perhaps you can try a different type of workout. At least, exercise will produce endorphins which will make you feel better.
My advice: keep yourself busy. At first, keep yourself busy by trying out new hobbies. Try things that you have never done before; things that you have always wanted to do. By keeping yourself busy with fun things, you will try to get your mind off other issues. Eventually, you might work your way up to become more motivated. Perhaps when you gain more motivation, you can send resumes out, so you can find a new job. Good luck with everything.

Niamh
February 5th, 2002, 11:16 AM
Thank you!!!!

I do enjoy yoga. I'm trying to find a class that I can take, but most have already started and are in the middle of a session or semester. SO I'll start again in March or april. Somehow I just find it better to go to a class than to put a tape in the VCR. But yoga is on my mind.

Thank you for your kind words, Mnemosyne!

Mnemosyne
February 6th, 2002, 12:06 AM
Glad to hear that you are considering yoga. You're right; it is better to go to yoga class instead of just popping in a video. I sometimes do a video, but I have found it more beneficial to learn from an instructor. Also, you can always look at books on the subject. Looking at books on the subject goes back to my other word of advice: devote some time to learning a new hobby to occupy your time as your head clears up. Take care

Flar's Freyja
February 24th, 2003, 11:47 PM
I'd like some input on how some of you have gotten motivated again after a period of slacking off.

I've exercised regularly for 20+ years. When I hurt my back last summer, I couldn't work out for about eight weeks and have not been able to get back into my regular routine of yoga, which I did daily without fail for seven years. At first, I was nursing my back and being very cautious about hurting it again before it healed, but then I began finding excuses.

Also, I began dating Flar and we lived 60 miles apart, so I was doing a lot of driving, which is more time-consuming than anything else, and then there were his regular hospital stays. I stay at the hospital with him and there's no place to work out there. He is always in a private room, but the floors are too hard even with my yoga mat. So, I guess there were reasons plus excuses.

I'm really feeling the effects. I'm still doing a lot of driving and in addition to a small bit of weight gain (which doesn't really bother me) I am noticing an increase in the "normal" back pain that has been part of my life for about 14 years now.

I bought two Pilates videos in hopes that a change might motivate me and I do enjoy the short workout on one of the tapes and several of the movements will be easy to add to my favorite yoga routine, but I am only doing it about 3 times per week. I need to do work out daily. I did a whole two minutes on our exercise bike today, and that's a start. I plan to add one minute per day, if I stick to it.

Any input is appreciated.