PDA

View Full Version : Taoist cosmology

David19
June 28th, 2006, 06:57 PM
Does anyone know what types of beings exist in the Taoist cosmology, i've read a bit on it, and am interested in learning about the supernatural aspects of Taoism (as well as some other parts of it), where do the deities, demons, humans, etc fit in.

Thanks for any help :).

BenSt
June 29th, 2006, 12:35 AM
I'd be interested in finding out myself. Of what little I've read (I went through a period of looking into Mystical and mythological spirits from around the world) there are a few cosmologies used in Chinese Taoism. Erm lets see, of what I know the universe is devided into eqaul portions representing various different auspicious numbers. For example there are four dragon Kings representing the four Cardinal directions, there is Heaven (or the high plane) and Earth...there is the underworld which Im not sure if it is part of the higher plane.

There are a number of different god lineages, but it seems as the Chinese civilizations developed and were united, the cosmology became more and more like a government structure with various different 'ministries' of Gods, for example the Ministry of Fortune led by a God and his many attendants.

There is also ofcourse the Ba Xien, the eight immortals who through their powerful lives attained immortality.

Other than that without looking online or through my research I cant say much more, apart from the fact that there are definitly regional variations and differences and also differences depending which ancient state you study. A Qin cosmology might be different than a Shou cosmology. Fascinating stuff though...anyways I'll see what i can find, if anything for you :).

Namaste

Tobias