PDA

View Full Version : All The Things You Wish Someone Would Have Said

Bliss
July 3rd, 2006, 04:35 PM
I am looking for some feedback for beginners on this path. I would love to hear your comments in regard to the things you wish others would have said or recommended when you were starting out. These suggestions can be as simple as what to read, resources, spiritual tools, what to do or not to do, etc. Thanks in advance!

~Bliss

:flowers:

magickman12
July 4th, 2006, 01:01 AM
I assume you mean the path of ceremonial magick. Are you looking to perform the ritual arts? If that is so:

First and foremost: There is no room for authority in occultism. If someone tells you that you have to do something a certain way, or that you have to give them something in order to achieve anything, then you might want to be careful. Do not succumb to empty promises. No true master wants your money or any control of you. I have a friend who is going through all this right now. She simply insists that this guy is a master, but he keeps her at his beck and call. He even has her rolling his cigarettes for him all the time! All because he promises her the things she wants to hear.

Secondly: Know that Love is the most powerful force in the Universe. Perfect love drives out perfect fear. You make experience certain scary events or beings upon your path. This is natural, but stay strong and know that they are part of the same Spirit. Offer them acceptance and their frightening facade will melt away.

That is all that comes to mind at the moment. Heed them well, for they helped me immensely.

MM12

Bliss
July 5th, 2006, 03:03 AM
Yes I am referring to CM. I haven't decided between GD and Thelema but both interest me. I will adhere to the typical rituals and daily practices.

Thank you for your advice. I particularly enjoyed your comments on love. *s*

~Bliss

magickman12
July 7th, 2006, 12:32 AM
Yes, Love is very powerful. I have been in situation where I was threatened by non-physical and physical entities, but instead of reacting out of fear, I decided to use love. My favorite encounter occurred with a bear that I met while meditating deep in the woods while I was camping. I must admit, I felt fear for the first couple of seconds since I was sitting down crosslegged on the ground and it was a just a few inches from my face, but when I remembered my teachings, I felt that fear literally leave me like water flowing off of my body. The bear seemed to sense my peace and just looked at me. I smiled, closed my eyes to resume meditation and he left.
Maybe I should take up some kind of Native American moniker because of that, like 'Stares at Bear' or 'Smile at Bear'. It was a very spiritual experience, to say the least.
MM12

Bliss
July 7th, 2006, 04:23 PM
*smiling as I recall*

I believe the same theme of love conquering over evil in a magical sense is found in the Harry Potter trilogy.

Bear holds the teachings of introspection. When it shows up in your life pay attention to how you think, act and interact. Use discernment in all that you do and discriminate with care. Bear teaches you how to make choices from a position of power. It would appear from your account you did just that. Perhaps the animal was actually coming to you as a prospective totem. I'd recommend additional research and meditation.

~Bliss

magickman12
July 8th, 2006, 01:31 AM
Yeah, I thought it a totem as well. Someone even gave me some bear figurines and carvings. I have meditated on it and researched it. The book Animal Speak says I may have been too critical. I might have been overly critical at the time. I worked to change that.
Whatever the case, I did leave a part of that story out of my last post. Before I started meditating I had asked the forest to send me an animal messenger. I don't know how long I was there, but when the bear came, I had forgotten all about my request until after it left. Maybe my subconscious remembered it and washed the fear away. I don't know but it was a great experience!
I've never read any of the Harry Potter series, but that sounds great! A good message, to be sure.
I thought of a good book for your original question: "Sane Occultism" by Dion Fortune. In it she emphasizes the need to keep your wits about you and use proper discernment in choosing what and who to believe and follow. That should help a bit.

Walk in Love and Light
MM12

Alkhemia
July 8th, 2006, 02:21 PM
This is what I wish I had been told as Neophyte;

1. Don't waste your time looking for a "Master" or someone to idolize in CM. People are flawed and you will only be disappointed. The only person you have to answer to (and have direct control over) is yourself.

2. Re-read point #1 and apply it to people who write occult books. Sometimes, the authors of CM books are just armchair theorists, are nutty or just plain don't know what they are talking about. Just because Llewellyn/Weiser/New Falcon/etc. has published a book, it doesn't necessarily follow that the author is an authority on anything.

3. Take your time - you have a lifetime to do the Great Work. Really master the small and introductory things, don't try to run before you can walk.

4. Be honest with yourself.

5. Always strive for objectivity and objective results. Lying to yourself about how "Adept" you are or being gullible is not a magickal virtue.

6. Following up on point #2, do your own research and don't rely solely upon what some contemporary CM author says. If you are interested in the GD - learn about the history of the Order, read Eliphas Levi, research Rosicrucianism, understand the cultural forces that shaped the GD, read Kabbalistic texts (and not "pop Kabbalah" from the Kabbalah Centre or Ceremonial Magicians), research Freemasonry and how it relates to the GD, ad infinitum. Ask yourself questions about the material and seek out the answers. The areas of exploration are endless and it is important to have a scholarly grasp on them and not just a Llewellyn-ish view.

7. Have a sense of humor and keep a good head on your shoulders. You are a normal person, so act like it. Develop some expertise and knowledge outside of CM. Being an Adept in the GD and $3.50 will buy you a cup of coffee from Starbucks - the rest of the world doesn't care about what "grade/degree" you have attained in a CM group.

8. Be critical. If someone is claiming to be a great magician or some fantastic Adept, but they are chronically broke, a scoundrel and can't seem to attain anything in the 'real world' - be very skeptical of their so-called "magical skills."

9. Always keep learning and strive to be humble. Just because you have studied for "x" years, you can always learn new things. Just because some magical Order recognizes you are an Adept, you can still learn from a Neophyte. You will never have all of the answers.

10. If you join a group, cultivate a solitary practice as well. Don't fall into the trap of having your magickal identity defined by whatever group you are in, friends you have or paradigm you follow.

Bliss
July 10th, 2006, 09:31 PM
if you'd like additional information on bear feel free to let me know. i was involved with someone in the past that walked the native american path and i have a lot of resources. *s*

I thought of a good book for your original question: "Sane Occultism" by Dion Fortune. In it she emphasizes the need to keep your wits about you and use proper discernment in choosing what and who to believe and follow. That should help a bit.

you have no idea how timely these words are. thank you for the suggestion. i'll go and find the book.

~bliss

:flowers

Bliss
July 10th, 2006, 09:36 PM
1. Don't waste your time looking for a "Master" or someone to idolize in CM. People are flawed and you will only be disappointed. The only person you have to answer to (and have direct control over) is yourself.

i will return to this one again and again. the wisdom in your words is most appreciated.

10. If you join a group, cultivate a solitary practice as well. Don't fall into the trap of having your magickal identity defined by whatever group you are in, friends you have or paradigm you follow.

being someone else's slogan is never fun. thank you for the reminder. all of your suggestions were priceless.

~bliss

La Fortuna
July 15th, 2006, 06:33 PM
When one is shopping for a path, one needs to listen to the inner voice that cues you to what resonates.

If one resonantes more with fairies, or hindu gods, then that is the path to take for that time period. It can change as we continue to walk through life.

On path at a time please. :)

It takes years for some to have results from their practice. One morning they may wake up and "get it". It is a lifetime's journey, one must continue to seek even though one may think they already "get it".

Fortuna:fpraise:

Bliss
July 17th, 2006, 01:49 AM
On path at a time please. :)

this one made me laugh. i remember starting out many years ago and being overwhelmed by all the things i wanted to learn and do. i realized quickly that i couldn't undertake them all at once and learned to pace myself and set realistic goals along the way. excellent advice. *bs*

~bliss