PDA

View Full Version : Book Recommations &/or Reviews

Crystal Raven
July 10th, 2006, 08:10 AM
So what books would you recommend for the Kitchen/Green or Hedge Witch??

Myself I would recommend Witch Alone & Wild Witchcraft by Marian Green, as well as Crones Book of Magical Words

Nitefalle
July 10th, 2006, 11:37 PM
I would definitely reccomend Embracing The Moon by Yasmine Galenorn. Very good non-wiccan book, it's my favorite. Garden Witchery and Cottage Witchery by Ellen Dugan are also very good, I love her writing style (though I do find her rhymes a bit kitschy, but if it works for her.....). For simple elemental charms, I really like Cunningham's Earth Magic & Earth, Air, Fire, Water.

Pagan Mantis
July 11th, 2006, 04:04 AM
I've found the entire series by Ann Moura to be the most helpful for me. She has written three Green Witchcraft books that go by that title, basically 1, 2 and 3, as well as "Tarot for the Green Witch," also helped me tremendously in getting familiar with tarot. Scott Cunningham's "Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs" has also helped in becomming familiar with not just everyday herbs, but especially the governing properties behind them, magical use, gender, planet, etc. Has anyone read "Oak, Ash and Thorn" by D.J. Conway? I've been wanting to get ahold of this book, as I've heard wonderful things about it.

Cindlady2
July 11th, 2006, 05:17 AM
I posted these in "The Green Room" awhile back but I'll post them here also.

I have both Mother Nature's Herbal and The Way of Herbs(Can't find it right now...Poisionivy did I lend it to you?LOL Both are quite good and I do use them though I have others I use more. Here are a few I think are good for beginners.

1. The Herb Book by: John Lust
A great first book! 95% of any of the herbs you will ever want are in there (about 500). Lots of cross references and remedies, as well as "how to's".'

2. Prescription for Nutritional Healing by: James Balch M.D. & Phyllis Balch C.N.C.
This is one of my most worn out books! Look up information by illness, read about symptoms ,Nutrients, Herbs, Recommendations and Considerations. Tons of information! Well worth getting!

3. The Herb Lady's Notebook by: Venus Andrecht
A humors easy read. not much information on individual herbs, but formulas are in easy reference tables. A little hard to get used to in that respect, but the formulas I found to be good ones.

4. The Healing Herbs By:Michael Castleman
I like the way this one is laid out for each herb, good reference in that sense but only list herbs for an illness, no formulas.

5. The Green Pharmacy by: James A. Duke Ph.D
Find treatments listed by illness, explains benefits of each herb for the illness listed but not allot of formulas. Other good information in it though.

I have a few more advanced books too, but I think these are a good start for anyone!

I would say if you can, go to one of the larger book stores and see if you can find some of these books, take a good look at them and see if it's what you are looking for. I've gotten some that seemed good at the time but when I tried using them seemed just short of useless, others just took some practice to get the hang of.

I'll also add:

Scott Cunningham "Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs"
A good basic reference.

Scott Cunningham "The Complete Book of Incense, Oils & Brews"
I hate it when a book is titled complete book of anything! But it is a good book and I've made allot of things from it.

Ann Moura "Green Witchcraft"
Nice book, covers allot of things. Probably one of the first books a "Green or Green Like" witch should have.

Ellan Evert Hopman "A Druid's Herbal"
Meant for Druid/Celtic paths but very nice. Allot of useful stuff for almost everyone!

Paul Beyerl "THE Master Book of Herbalism"
Very Good Book! Kind of hard to get the hang of the layout but allot of information!

and if you like cookbooks....
A Kitchen Witch's Cookbook by:Patricia Telesco

I have many more books but these seem to be the ones I use the most.

ap Dafydd
July 11th, 2006, 07:53 AM
No one's mentioned Rae Beth's "Hedge Witch" yet - I'd heartily recommend it.

Marian Green is very good but she tends to write the same book over and over again in a slightly different package.

Paddy Slade's "Natural Magic" is good too, but it may be out of print.

gwyn eich byd

Ffred

Zephyrstorm
July 11th, 2006, 10:59 AM
I adore Hopman's Druid Herbal. :)
*jots down book titles that she didn't have yet* thanks for sharing. :)

Nitefalle
July 11th, 2006, 09:16 PM
I really really like Ann Moura's books and own Grimoire for the Green Witch. I love her wording, her imagery, the fact that she has circle castings for Dark Faerie moons and such and her book Tarot for the Green Witch is great (wish I could get a hold of it!).

However, one year I attempted one of her rituals straight out of the book for Samhain....and it totally fell flat. I was quite disappointed. I don't know if it's me or if I just don't jive with the book....I dunno. So I tried again, the next year for Mabon....and it totally fell flat again. Maybe I should try with my fairly new group?

ETA: I have heard many mixed things about Rae Beth, but would love to check her out for myself. Last time I checked, however, it had to be ordered off of Amazon.UK Has anyone seen her books here in the states?

ap Dafydd
July 12th, 2006, 08:24 AM
However, one year I attempted one of her rituals straight out of the book for Samhain....and it totally fell flat. I was quite disappointed. I don't know if it's me or if I just don't jive with the book....I dunno. So I tried again, the next year for Mabon....and it totally fell flat again. Maybe I should try with my fairly new group?

Rituals come best from the heart.

I've never ever done anything from a book, just said the words that came naturally to me.

gwyn eich byd

Ffred

Libris
July 12th, 2006, 09:51 AM
5. The Green Pharmacy by: James A. Duke Ph.D
Find treatments listed by illness, explains benefits of each herb for the illness listed but not allot of formulas. Other good information in it though.

I love this book, its so worn though because I use it constantly!

I also like the "Green Witchcraft" series by Moura. I don't have the tarot one though, but it sounds like I should check it out.

Tanya
July 12th, 2006, 08:33 PM
Finding Findhorn. A must read, its got me talking to and hearing my plants.

Libris
July 13th, 2006, 10:57 AM
"Stalking the Wild Asparagus (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0911469044/104-2705758-3598332?v=glance&n=283155)" by Euell Gibbons
is a really good one about wild foods; I enjoy his writing style immensely.

I just borrowed Cottage Witchcraft from the library and so far I really like it. I do have to agree though, the rhymes are definitely so-so...

Semjaza
July 13th, 2006, 07:41 PM
Hedge Witch by Rae Beth was probably the fifth book I ever read about Witchcraft... Her poetry is still with me, the "Resolution of a Witch" and "What Makes a Witch?" I guess they're more prose than poetry, but still beautiful and inspiring.

I had another post in a different thread of 'Hedge Witch Books,' but I don't know how to make links so I'll list some of them here... My view of hedge witchcraft focuses on traditional witches' plants (usually Family Solanaceae) in addition to working with the boundaries of worlds (the hedge), the spirits found there, and tons of basic herb lore, and with that in mind my list includes:

Witchcraft Medicine: Healing Arts, Shamanic Practices, and Forbidden Plants by Claudia Müller-Ebeling, Christian Rätsch, and Wolf-Dieter Storl, translated by Annabelle Lee.

The Pharmako Trilogy by Dale Pendell, though it is the latest one, Pharmako Gnosis: Plant Teachers and the Poison Path that talks about the witches' herbs.

Plants of the Gods: Their Sacred, Healing, and Hallucinogenic Powers by Richard Evans Shultes, Albert Hofmann, and Christian Rätsch.

Botany in a Day: Thomas J. Elpel's Herbal Guide to Plant Families by (guess who) Thomas J. Elpel

Green Witchcraft II by Ann Moura

Wise Woman Herbal Healing Wise by Susun S. Weed

Cunning Folk And Familiar Spirits: Shamanistic Visionary Traditions In Early Modern British Witchcraft And Magic by Emma Wilby

Complete Illustrated Guide to Holistic Herbal: A Safe and Practical Guide to Making and Using Herbal Remedies by David Hoffmann

Teachings of Don Juan : A Yaqui Way Of Knowledge by Carlos Castaneda

Witches' All by Elizabeth Pepper

ABC of Witchcraft: Past and Present by Doreen Valiente

Shamanic Voices: A Survey of Visionary Narratives by Joan Halifax

The Fairy-Faith in Celtic Countries by W. Y. Evans-Wentz

And basically any other book of herbs, drugs, or witchcraft that I can get my hands on...

Cheers,

Semjaza
FFFF

shuvanilu
July 14th, 2006, 02:50 PM
Hedge Witch by Rae Beth was probably the fifth book I ever read about Witchcraft... Her poetry is still with me, the "Resolution of a Witch" and "What Makes a Witch?" I guess they're more prose than poetry, but still beautiful and inspiring.

The Pharmako Trilogy by Dale Pendell, though it is the latest one, Pharmako Gnosis: Plant Teachers and the Poison Path that talks about the witches' herbs.

Semjaza
FFFF

I have been trying to find Hedge Witch by Rae Beth at book stores amd it's never there:atantrum: Lots of people are suggesting it! Guess I'll have to order it from Amazon. I have heard good things about the Dale Pendell books---perhaps I'll have to check those out as well!

My recommendations:

1) ALL of Ann Moura's Green Witchcraft series. Good stuff. I use the Grimoire A LOT. Occasionally the 3rd books seems to repeat a lot of what is in the others, but I do use them all.

2) Natural Witchcraft, and Wild Witchcraft by Marian Green.

3) Craft of the Wild Witch by Poppy Palin.

4) Incense, Oils and Brews and Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs by SCott Cunningham.

5) Garden Witchery by Ellen Dugan.

6) Witch in the Kitchen by Cait Johnson.

One book to watch out for: Kitchen Witchery by Marilyn Daniel. I bought this after flipping through it quickly and getting all excited about all of the herbal incense, oils, ointments, brews recipes. Welll.......there's a reason it looked so great. Compare it page for page with Scott Cunningham's Incense, Oils and Brews and see a very sad case of extreme plagerism. And the darn thing cost me $25! bugger that....---shuvanilu

Nitefalle
July 14th, 2006, 03:46 PM
Shuvanilu, as far as I can tell, Rae Beth can only be physically bought in the UK. I think our only chance is Amazon. It used to be only on Amazon.UK, but they have it on Amazon.USA now, which is good considering it's now 2 Pounds to the Dollar!

How do you find Poppy Palin, Craft of the Wild Witch? It really caught my eye, but then I flipped through it and decided it wasn't for me, though I can't think of the reasoning right now. Would love to hear your opinion on it.
Also, has anyone read Marian Green's Wild Witchcraft? Is that a new book or just a new edition of an old book? Anyone's thoughts on it?

Semjaza
July 14th, 2006, 09:28 PM
Shuvanilu, as far as I can tell, Rae Beth can only be physically bought in the UK. I think our only chance is Amazon. It used to be only on Amazon.UK, but they have it on Amazon.USA now, which is good considering it's now 2 Pounds to the Dollar!

I might be mistaken, but I was under the impression that Hedge Witch was published in the US under the title The Wiccan Path or something like that... Hope it helps.

Cheers,

Semjaza
FFFF

Mahren
August 6th, 2006, 12:31 PM
Arin Murphy-Hiscock came out with a book called The Way of the Green Witch recently. I came upon it in Barns and Noble and thought about buying it. Has anyone read it and is it worth buying?

Here's a couple of books I'd recommend:

The Wicca Cookbook By Jamie Wood and Tara Seefeldt. This one has a ton of good recpies and beautiful illustrations. The history is a bit off though.

Green Magic By Ann Moura. A nice companion to the Green Witchcraft series. It explores the componets of spellwork in Green Practices. I find myself refering to this book over and over again.

CloeOtter
August 6th, 2006, 02:36 PM
I might be mistaken, but I was under the impression that Hedge Witch was published in the US under the title The Wiccan Path or something like that... Hope it helps.

Cheers,

Semjaza
FFFF

You can also get the sequal book "The Wiccan Way" by Rae Beth in the USA. In the UK its know "The Hedge Witch's Way".

I really enjoyed and got alot out of this book.

Cerulean_damselfly
December 5th, 2006, 01:47 AM
This is more 'crafts' as 'arts-n-crafts,' but I thought I'd throw in these titles...Patricia Telesco's older book "Victorian Grimoire" was at a used bookstore and I found it delightful for pagan-style browsing, ideas, thoughts and old Victorian snippets...and warm, inviting line drawings. It's readily available on Amazon.com

The Art of Tussie Mussies for my yearning eyes, and twitching, dreaming green-fingers...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1563051060?v=glance

I like the idea of the language of flowers...

...and I picked up Poppy Palin's book referenced above----because the fanciful meditations were appealing for writing wildwood poetry...during this winter season, I want to keep my dreaming mind active and creative...the chatty style was curiously refreshing to me for no good reason--just appealing...

Some great recommendations here to help keep my 'green' aspects on the cheerful side.

Thanks for the thread!

Cerulean_Damselfly

Faelon_Moon_Hawk
December 5th, 2006, 05:24 PM
I'm reading The earth path by starhawk right now, and i really love it, of course I in general am a fan of starhawk. But she really addresses in this book how to not only become closer to nature, but to see your part in it and take a good hard look at how your actions effect it. IT's also full of some really good (haven't tried any yet, but i plan on it) rituals & meditations to help you connect with nature in it's various aspects.

One book i will NOT recommend to anyone is The Craft of the Wild WItch by Poppy Palin. I was very dissapointed in this book. Though the writing was lyrical and nice, I didn't really find anything useful in this book at all. It might be okay for a true beginner on the green/hedge/kitchen witch path...but other than that i think it's a waste of money to buy.

Oddzilla
December 28th, 2006, 02:16 AM
:fpraise:
Thanks to everyone who contributes to threads like these! I find them so helpful, especially since [as a newbie] its hard to know where to start, or what resources generally have a good rep.
Now, if only I wasn't so broke.

Zephyrstorm
December 28th, 2006, 12:11 PM
When you're broke and need books, look at sites like http://www.abebooks.com or http://www.bookcrossing.com
The first is a site that connects used book stores from around the world with you and me (I paid $1 for an old book for my mother in law a few years ago there), and the second is a catch and release program for books (a bit more chancy, but fun!)

Z

Mahren
August 29th, 2007, 12:46 PM
I'm reviving this thread. Because I felt like it. :hahugh:

And I have a question too. I have Doreen Valiente's book Witchcraft for Tomorrow , it's a little too wiccan/ceremonialist for me but still a good book. I think Valiente is a great writer and I was looking into her other books. The one that caught my eye was Natural Magic . Would this be a good book to have for a green witch? Or just in general?

It seems to be mostly a spell book, but it is getting good reviews off Amazon.

Juniper138
August 29th, 2007, 04:14 PM
I have a list I put on my website (see my signature for link) it is by no means a complete list of all possible books, just the ones Ive read myself.

Some Book Suggestions for a Nature Witch

* Books with an asterisk are on Juniper’s favorite list.*

I would recommend reading at least one book in each subject group before moving on to the next level (beginner to intermediate, intermediate to advanced) as an absolute minimum.

Beginner

Identification, Science & Research

* Identifying and Harvesting Edible and Medicinal Plants in Wild (and Not So Wild) Places - Steve Brill *
* National Geographic Field Guide to Trees of North America - Keith Rushforth, Charles Hollis
* North american wildlife: trees and nonflowering plants field guide - Reader's Digest Editors
* The Basic Essentials of Edible Wild Plants and Useful Herbs - Jim Meuninck
* Trees of North America: A Guide to Field Identification, Revised and Updated - C. Frank Brockman, Rebecca Marrilees
* American Horticultural Society A to Z Encyclopedia of Garden Plants - H. Marc Cathey
* Flora: A Gardener's Encyclopedia - Sean Hogan *
* Edible Wild Plants: A North American Field Guide - Thomas Elias
* Peterson First Guides: Trees - George Petrides, Olivia Petrides , Janet Wehr *
* Earth Science - Edward J. Tarbuck
* National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Wildflowers (Eastern Region) - William A. Niering, Nancy C. Olmstead, Susan Rayfield, and Carol Nehring

Propagation & Cultivation (Gardening & Growing)

* Growing Herbs from Seed, Cutting & Root: An Adventure in Small Miracles - Thomas Debaggio
* Jerry Baker's Giant Book of Garden Solutions: 1,954 Natural Remedies to Handle Your Toughest Garden Problems - Jerry Baker
* Let It Rot! the Gardener's Guide to Composting (Down-to-Earth Book) - Stu Campbell
* Rodale's Illustrated Encyclopedia of Organic Gardening - Anna Kruger

Herbal & Natural Health

* The Essential Guide to Herbal Safety - Simon Mills *
* The Dictionary of Modern Herbalism: A Comprehensive Guide to Practical Herbal Therapy - Simon Mills *
* The Herbal Medicine Maker's Handbook: A Home Manual - James Green
* Jeanne Rose: Herbal Body Book: The Herbal Way to Natural Beauty & Health for Men & Women - Jeanne Rose
* The Way of Herbs - Michael Tierra

Magickal & Spiritual

* The Wicca Garden: A Modern Witch's Book of Magickal & Enchanted Herbs & Plants - Gerina Dunwich
* The Magical Garden: Spells, Charms, and Lore for magical Gardens and the Curious Gardeners Who Tell –Sophia and Denny Sargent
* The Green Witch Herbal: Restoring Nature's Magic in Home, Health, and Beauty Care - Barbara Griggs
* Magical Herbalism - Scott Cunningham *
* Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs - Scott Cunningham
* Garden Witchery: Magick from the Ground Up - Ellen Dugan
* Real Witches Garden - Kate West
* Earth Power - Scott Cunningham
* Natural Witchery: Intuitive, Personal & Practical Magick - Ellen Dugan
* Herb Magic For Beginners - Ellen Dugan
* The Elements of Natural Magic (Elements of) - Marian Green
* Craft Of The Wild Witch: Green Spirituality & Natural Enchantment - Poppy Palin
* Green Witchcraft: Folk Magic, Fairy Lore & Herb Craft - Aoumiel, Ann Moura
* Grimoire For The Green Witch: A Complete Book of Shadows - Ann Moura
* Green Magic: The Sacred Connection to Nature - Ann Moura

Incense, Oils & more

* Wylundt's Book of Incense: A Magical Primer - Wylundt
* Incense: Crafting and Use of Magickal Scents - Carl Neal *
* Complete Book Of Incense, Oils & Brews - Scott Cunningham *

Lifestyles & the Environment

* It's Easy Being Green: A Handbook for Earth-Friendly Living - Crissy Trask
* Living Green: A Practical Guide to Simple Sustainability - Greg Horn

Home & Hearth

* Cunningham’s Encyclopedia of Wicca in the Kitchen - Scott Cunningham
* Cottage Witchery: Natural Magick for Hearth and Home - Ellen Dugan
* The Magical Household - Scott Cunningham *
* Clean House Clean Planet - Karen Logan
* The Naturally Clean Home: 100 Safe and Easy Herbal Formulas for Non-Toxic Cleansers - Karyn Siegel-Maier

Folklore & Mythology

* The Meaning of Herbs: Myth, Language & Lore - Ann Field
* Folklore and Symbolism of Flowers, Plants and Trees (Dover Pictorial Archive Series) - Ernst Lehner (Author), Johanna Lehner

Well Rounded (or a little bit of everything)

* The Complete Book of Herbs: A Practical Guide to Growing and Using Herbs - Lesley Bremness *
* Herbs & Things - Jeanne Rose *
* Your Backyard Herb Garden: A Gardener's Guide to Growing Over 50 Herbs Plus How to Use Them in Cooking, Crafts, Companion Planting and More - Miranda Smith

Intermediate

Identification, Science and Research

* Green Pharmacy: The History and Evolution of Western Herbal Medicine (Paperback) - Barbara Griggs
* The Healing Power of Celtic Plants: Their History, Their Use, and the Scientific Evidence That They Work (Paperback) - Angela Paine
* Botany for Gardeners - Brian Capon *

* The Secret Garden: Talking Beetles and Signaling Trees: The Hidden Ways Gardens Communicate - David Bodanis
* Making an Herb Garden: Beautiful Designs, Plantings and Ornamentation -Catherine Mason
* Growing 101 Herbs that Heal: Gardening Techniques, Recipes, and Remedies - Tammi Hartung
* Burpee : The Complete Vegetable & Herb Gardener : A Guide to Growing Your Garden Organically - Karan Davis Cutler, Cavagnarok David, Barbara W. Ellis, David Cavagnaro
* Bud, Blossom, & Leaf: The Magical Herb Gardener's Handbook - Dorothy Morrison
* Herb Garden Design - Ethne Clarke
* Gaia's Garden: A Guide to Home-Scale Permaculture - Toby Hemenway *
* Introduction to Permaculture - Bill Mollison *

Herbal & Natural Health

* Wicca Herbal: Guide to Healing Body and Spirit with Magickal Herbs -Jamie Wood
* Mastering Herbalism: A Practical Guide - Paul Huson
* Healing Wise (Wise Woman Herbal Series) - Susun S. Weed *
* Wise Woman Herbal for the Childbearing Year (Wise Woman Herbal Series) - Susun S. Weed
* New Menopausal Years, The Wise Woman Way: Alternative Approaches for Women 30-90 (Wise Woman Herbal Series) - Susun S. Weed
* Breast Cancer? Breast Health! The Wise Woman Way (Wise Woman Herbal Series) - Susun S. Weed, Alan McKnight, Christine Northrup

Magickal & Spiritual

* The Nature Path – Starhawk *
* The Magical and Ritual Use of Herbs - Richard Alan Miller
* Wild Witchcraft: A Guide to Natural, Herbal and Earth Magic - Marian Green
* Natural Witchcraft: The Timeless Arts and Crafts of the Country Witch (Natural Way) - Marian Green
* Natural Magic - Doreen Valiente *
* Green Witchcraft II Ann Moura

Incense, Oils & more

* 375 Essential Oils - Jeanne Rose *
* Aromatherapy Book: Inhalations and Applications - Jeanne Rose
* Jeanne Rose's Kitchen Cosmetics: Using Herbs, Fruit and Flowers for Natural Bodycare - Jeanne Rose
* Magick Potions: How to Prepare and Use Homemade Incense, Oils, Aphordisacs, and Much More - Gerina Dunwich
* A Dyer's Garden: From Plant to Pot Growing Dyes for Natural Fibers - Rita Buchanan

* The Self-sufficient Life and How to Live It - John Seymour
* Gaia: A New Look at Life on Earth James Lovelock *
* The Ages of Gaia: A Biography of Our Living Earth - James E. Lovelock *

Home & Hearth

* The Complete Idiot's Guide to Solar Power for your Home, 2nd Edition - Dan Ramsey

Folklore & Mythology

* Celtic Tree Magic - Elizabeth Pepper

* Herbs: Gardens, Decorations, and Recipes - Emelie Tolley
* The Herb Society of America's Essential Guide to Growing and Cooking With Herbs - Katherine K. Schlosser
* The Wild Plant Companion: A Fresh Understanding of Herbal Food and Medicine - Kathryn G. March *
* The Meaning of Trees: Botany, History, Healing, Lore - Fred Hageneder

Advanced

* The Secret Life of Plants - Peter Tompkins, Christopher Bird *
* Seed to Seed: The Secret Life of Plants - Nicholas Harberd
* Scientific Validation of Herbal Medicine - Daniel Mowrey *

* The Medicine Wheel Garden: Creating Sacred Space for Healing, Celebration, and Tranquillity - E. Barrie Kavasch
* Herbal Tea Gardens: 22 Plans for Your Enjoyment & Well-Being - Marietta Marshall Marcin
* Growing At-Risk Medicinal Herbs, Cultivation, Conservation and Ecology - Richo Cech
* The Self-Sustaining Garden: A Gardener's Guide to Matrix Planting - Peter Thompson *
* The Organic Gardener's Handbook of Natural Insect and Disease Control: A Complete Problem-Solving Guide to Keeping Your Garden and Yard Healthy Without Chemicals - Barbara W. Ellis, Fern Marshall Bradley
* Permaculture: A Designers' Manual - Bill Mollison *

Herbal & Natural Health

* Leechcraft: Early English Charms, Plantlore and Healing - Stephen Pollington
* Veterinary Herbal Medicine - Susan G. Wynn
* Principles and Practice of Phytotherapy: Modern Herbal Medicine - Simon Mills *

Magickal & Spiritual

* Herbs of the Northern Shaman - Steve Andrews
* Psychedelic Shamanism: The Cultivation, Preparation & Shamanic Use of Psychoactive Plants - Jim Dekorne
* Psychedelics Encyclopedia - Peter Stafford
* The Encyclopedia of Psychoactive Plants: Ethnopharmacology and Its Applications - Christian Ratsch
* Ecoshamanism: Sacred Practices of Unity, Power and Earth Healing - James Endredy *
* Planetary Herbology - Michael Tierra
* Green Witchcraft III: The Manual - Ann Moura
* Gaia Eros: Reconnecting to the Magic and Spirit of Nature - Jesse Wolf Hardin

Incense, Oils & More

* The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Essential Oils: The Complete Guide to the Use of Oils in Aromatherapy and Herbalism (Illustrated Encyclopedia) - Julia Lawless
* The Book of Incense: Enjoying the Traditional Art of Japanese Scents - Kiyoko Morita
* The Practical Handbook of Plant Alchemy: An Herbalist's Guide to Preparing Medicinal Essences, Tinctures, and Elixirs - Manfred M. Junius

* The Renewable Energy Handbook: A Guide to Rural Energy Independence, Off-grid And Sustainable Living - William H. Kemp
* Sacred Gaia: Holistic Theology and Earth System Science - Anne Primavesi *

Home & Hearth

* Natural Remodeling for the Not-So-Green House: Bringing Your Home into Harmony with Nature - Carol Venolia, Kelly Lerner
* The Homeowner's Guide to Renewable Energy: Achieving Energy Independence Through Solar, Wind, Biomass And Hydropower - Daniel D. Chiras

Folklore & Mythology

* Ancient Herbs - Marina Heilmeyer

kristadb
June 4th, 2009, 12:05 PM
I know this thread is old but the book list is still excellent.

I got the three Ann Moura books from the library (the Green Witchcraft series) but found it too Green Wicca for me. In fact, I didn't see a huge difference between her Green Witchcraft and most of the Wicca stuff that I've read so far. However, her grimoire is very helpful and a useful reference book.

I have been reading Metis books on natural medicines for here in Alberta. If you're in one of the prairie provinces or Montana, the following books are really great:

Alberta Wayside Wildflowers by Linda Kershaw (gives colour photos plus edible information, and history)

Herbs and Edible Flowers by Lois Hole (tells you how to grow herbs and colours, and recipes)

Medicines to Help Us by Christi Belcourt (worth getting for the artwork alone. Most of the plants are common throughout Canada and, I would assume, the northern US)

Edible and Medicinal plants of the Rockies by Linda Kershaw (outstanding book)

The Standing People by Kahlee Keane and Dave Howarth (again, outstanding. Wonderful read).

Amythyst
June 8th, 2009, 08:07 PM
So what books would you recommend for the Kitchen/Green or Hedge Witch??

Myself I would recommend Witch Alone & Wild Witchcraft by Marian Green, as well as Crones Book of Magical Words

Books I have myself, or that I've read on this topic, include:

All of Ann Moura's (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_b?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=ann+moura) books, you'll find more info at her website:

http://www.annmourasgarden.com/

Books by Ellen Dugan:

"The Way of the Hedgewitch" (http://www.amazon.com/Way-Hedge-Witch-Rituals-Spells/dp/1598699741)

Natural Witchery (http://www.amazon.com/Natural-Witchery-Intuitive-Personal-Practical/dp/0738709220/ref=pd_sim_b_3)

Cottage Witchery (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_b?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=cottage+withery)

Scott Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs (http://www.amazon.com/Cunninghams-Encyclopedia-Magical-Llewellyns-Sourcebook/dp/0875421229/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1244505724&sr=1-1).

I'm sure the list is almost endless on this topic, and you can go to amazon and google for other resources as well.

kristadb
June 8th, 2009, 09:15 PM
What are some good green/kitchen/hedge witchery books that AREN'T wiccan? I know that Moura says she isn't wiccan, yet all of her stuff is very wiccan. I read "Natural Witch" (I think Marian Green??) and I enjoyed that, since it wasn't wiccan-ish.

sleepycat
June 8th, 2009, 09:45 PM
I don't like recommending books. BUT...
kristadb, you might try Herbal Rituals by Judith Berger.

I've read mine so much (hardcover) that the pages are falling out.

kristadb
June 8th, 2009, 09:51 PM
I have put it on hold at the library :thumbsup:

zombi
June 10th, 2009, 12:36 AM
can I get some feedback from you guys re: Arin Murphy-Hiscock (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/ref=ntt_athr_dp_sr_1?%5Fencoding=UTF8&search-type=ss&index=books&field-author=Arin%20Murphy-Hiscock)'s books, "way of the green witch" and "way of the hedge witch"? are those very wicca-influenced?

kristadb
June 10th, 2009, 12:46 AM
I read the green witch one. I loved it. I renewed it 3 times at the library before they made me give it back.

It had a mixture of things, from spells in your kitchen while cooking to recipes to make concrete stepping stones. It was a great book. It was nothing like Moura's books.

zombi
June 10th, 2009, 02:07 AM
I read the green witch one. I loved it. I renewed it 3 times at the library before they made me give it back.

It had a mixture of things, from spells in your kitchen while cooking to recipes to make concrete stepping stones. It was a great book. It was nothing like Moura's books.

thanks babe. i found moura's books too wiccan as well, so I was wanting to avoid that. I'll check these out!

kristadb
June 10th, 2009, 12:12 PM
I recommend getting the book from the library first, to ensure that it's what you're looking for. They aren't very expensive, but that's my advise for all books :hahugh:

artemis13
June 10th, 2009, 04:19 PM
Arin Murphy-Hiscock's The Way of Hedge Witch is focused on the home and kitchen like Ellen Dugan's Cottage Witchery. The Way of the Green Witch is not Wiccan focused. Arin makes a point of clarifying that in one chapter. These two are my favorite that Arin wrote.

kristadb
June 11th, 2009, 06:23 PM
I've gotten the Hedgewitch book and I love it. The Green witch book of hers is focusing on the magic-base of the kitchen, whereas this book focuses on the spirituality of the path. I would suggest both are useful in their own ways.

TheLittleWitchy
June 15th, 2009, 06:21 PM
"Natural Magick" by Cassandra Eason. This book is amazing! It is mainly on the practical side, but also has so much info. Great for reference! I love it, and it is huge! Well worth the money. :cutie:

Calli
June 30th, 2009, 08:30 PM
Thanks, all of you, for this thread. I checked out some of the books you recommend and now I must have them! Also, some of those you recommend were recently given to me, so I need to crack those open, too. And all this from only one page of posts.... lol.

zombi
July 1st, 2009, 05:30 PM
Just got "Way of the Hedge Witch" today -- really like it! I'll have to check out the green witch one, too!

sparrowspirit
July 1st, 2009, 07:33 PM
I've marked both these books, to get them at a later date. They both look good to me, and they aren't very Wiccanesque in flavor. I enjoyed skimming through them.

I also own Ann Moura's Grimoire, but I keep it as a reference book.

PhoenixFire
July 2nd, 2009, 10:29 PM
I only just started reading it but so far I too love "The Way of the Green Witch" Arin Murphy-Hiscock.

Just picked it up last month. Good clear info and decently priced. :thumbsup: Wish I had more free time for reading though.

Scanning the list I realize I already have a few of the other books mentioned as well.

TheLittleWitchy
July 5th, 2009, 06:20 PM
*writes down these books* lol :cutie:
I am really interested in Poppy Palin lately. Wondering if anyone has read her books?

Toki Wartooth
August 7th, 2009, 02:43 PM
I have a list I put on my website (see my signature for link) it is by no means a complete list of all possible books, just the ones Ive read myself.

Some Book Suggestions for a Nature Witch

* Books with an asterisk are on Juniper’s favorite list.*

I would recommend reading at least one book in each subject group before moving on to the next level (beginner to intermediate, intermediate to advanced) as an absolute minimum.

Beginner

Identification, Science & Research

* Identifying and Harvesting Edible and Medicinal Plants in Wild (and Not So Wild) Places - Steve Brill *
* National Geographic Field Guide to Trees of North America - Keith Rushforth, Charles Hollis
* North american wildlife: trees and nonflowering plants field guide - Reader's Digest Editors
* The Basic Essentials of Edible Wild Plants and Useful Herbs - Jim Meuninck
* Trees of North America: A Guide to Field Identification, Revised and Updated - C. Frank Brockman, Rebecca Marrilees
* American Horticultural Society A to Z Encyclopedia of Garden Plants - H. Marc Cathey
* Flora: A Gardener's Encyclopedia - Sean Hogan *
* Edible Wild Plants: A North American Field Guide - Thomas Elias
* Peterson First Guides: Trees - George Petrides, Olivia Petrides , Janet Wehr *
* Earth Science - Edward J. Tarbuck
* National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Wildflowers (Eastern Region) - William A. Niering, Nancy C. Olmstead, Susan Rayfield, and Carol Nehring

* Growing Herbs from Seed, Cutting & Root: An Adventure in Small Miracles - Thomas Debaggio
* Jerry Baker's Giant Book of Garden Solutions: 1,954 Natural Remedies to Handle Your Toughest Garden Problems - Jerry Baker
* Let It Rot! the Gardener's Guide to Composting (Down-to-Earth Book) - Stu Campbell
* Rodale's Illustrated Encyclopedia of Organic Gardening - Anna Kruger

Herbal & Natural Health

* The Essential Guide to Herbal Safety - Simon Mills *
* The Dictionary of Modern Herbalism: A Comprehensive Guide to Practical Herbal Therapy - Simon Mills *
* The Herbal Medicine Maker's Handbook: A Home Manual - James Green
* Jeanne Rose: Herbal Body Book: The Herbal Way to Natural Beauty & Health for Men & Women - Jeanne Rose
* The Way of Herbs - Michael Tierra

Magickal & Spiritual

* The Wicca Garden: A Modern Witch's Book of Magickal & Enchanted Herbs & Plants - Gerina Dunwich
* The Magical Garden: Spells, Charms, and Lore for magical Gardens and the Curious Gardeners Who Tell –Sophia and Denny Sargent
* The Green Witch Herbal: Restoring Nature's Magic in Home, Health, and Beauty Care - Barbara Griggs
* Magical Herbalism - Scott Cunningham *
* Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs - Scott Cunningham
* Garden Witchery: Magick from the Ground Up - Ellen Dugan
* Real Witches Garden - Kate West
* Earth Power - Scott Cunningham
* Natural Witchery: Intuitive, Personal & Practical Magick - Ellen Dugan
* Herb Magic For Beginners - Ellen Dugan
* The Elements of Natural Magic (Elements of) - Marian Green
* Craft Of The Wild Witch: Green Spirituality & Natural Enchantment - Poppy Palin
* Green Witchcraft: Folk Magic, Fairy Lore & Herb Craft - Aoumiel, Ann Moura
* Grimoire For The Green Witch: A Complete Book of Shadows - Ann Moura
* Green Magic: The Sacred Connection to Nature - Ann Moura

Incense, Oils & more

* Wylundt's Book of Incense: A Magical Primer - Wylundt
* Incense: Crafting and Use of Magickal Scents - Carl Neal *
* Complete Book Of Incense, Oils & Brews - Scott Cunningham *

* It's Easy Being Green: A Handbook for Earth-Friendly Living - Crissy Trask
* Living Green: A Practical Guide to Simple Sustainability - Greg Horn

Home & Hearth

* Cunningham’s Encyclopedia of Wicca in the Kitchen - Scott Cunningham
* Cottage Witchery: Natural Magick for Hearth and Home - Ellen Dugan
* The Magical Household - Scott Cunningham *
* Clean House Clean Planet - Karen Logan
* The Naturally Clean Home: 100 Safe and Easy Herbal Formulas for Non-Toxic Cleansers - Karyn Siegel-Maier

Folklore & Mythology

* The Meaning of Herbs: Myth, Language & Lore - Ann Field
* Folklore and Symbolism of Flowers, Plants and Trees (Dover Pictorial Archive Series) - Ernst Lehner (Author), Johanna Lehner

* The Complete Book of Herbs: A Practical Guide to Growing and Using Herbs - Lesley Bremness *
* Herbs & Things - Jeanne Rose *
* Your Backyard Herb Garden: A Gardener's Guide to Growing Over 50 Herbs Plus How to Use Them in Cooking, Crafts, Companion Planting and More - Miranda Smith

Intermediate

* Green Pharmacy: The History and Evolution of Western Herbal Medicine (Paperback) - Barbara Griggs
* The Healing Power of Celtic Plants: Their History, Their Use, and the Scientific Evidence That They Work (Paperback) - Angela Paine
* Botany for Gardeners - Brian Capon *

* The Secret Garden: Talking Beetles and Signaling Trees: The Hidden Ways Gardens Communicate - David Bodanis
* Making an Herb Garden: Beautiful Designs, Plantings and Ornamentation -Catherine Mason
* Growing 101 Herbs that Heal: Gardening Techniques, Recipes, and Remedies - Tammi Hartung
* Burpee : The Complete Vegetable & Herb Gardener : A Guide to Growing Your Garden Organically - Karan Davis Cutler, Cavagnarok David, Barbara W. Ellis, David Cavagnaro
* Bud, Blossom, & Leaf: The Magical Herb Gardener's Handbook - Dorothy Morrison
* Herb Garden Design - Ethne Clarke
* Gaia's Garden: A Guide to Home-Scale Permaculture - Toby Hemenway *
* Introduction to Permaculture - Bill Mollison *

Herbal & Natural Health

* Wicca Herbal: Guide to Healing Body and Spirit with Magickal Herbs -Jamie Wood
* Mastering Herbalism: A Practical Guide - Paul Huson
* Healing Wise (Wise Woman Herbal Series) - Susun S. Weed *
* Wise Woman Herbal for the Childbearing Year (Wise Woman Herbal Series) - Susun S. Weed
* New Menopausal Years, The Wise Woman Way: Alternative Approaches for Women 30-90 (Wise Woman Herbal Series) - Susun S. Weed
* Breast Cancer? Breast Health! The Wise Woman Way (Wise Woman Herbal Series) - Susun S. Weed, Alan McKnight, Christine Northrup

Magickal & Spiritual

* The Nature Path – Starhawk *
* The Magical and Ritual Use of Herbs - Richard Alan Miller
* Wild Witchcraft: A Guide to Natural, Herbal and Earth Magic - Marian Green
* Natural Witchcraft: The Timeless Arts and Crafts of the Country Witch (Natural Way) - Marian Green
* Natural Magic - Doreen Valiente *
* Green Witchcraft II Ann Moura

Incense, Oils & more

* 375 Essential Oils - Jeanne Rose *
* Aromatherapy Book: Inhalations and Applications - Jeanne Rose
* Jeanne Rose's Kitchen Cosmetics: Using Herbs, Fruit and Flowers for Natural Bodycare - Jeanne Rose
* Magick Potions: How to Prepare and Use Homemade Incense, Oils, Aphordisacs, and Much More - Gerina Dunwich
* A Dyer's Garden: From Plant to Pot Growing Dyes for Natural Fibers - Rita Buchanan

* The Self-sufficient Life and How to Live It - John Seymour
* Gaia: A New Look at Life on Earth James Lovelock *
* The Ages of Gaia: A Biography of Our Living Earth - James E. Lovelock *

Home & Hearth

* The Complete Idiot's Guide to Solar Power for your Home, 2nd Edition - Dan Ramsey

Folklore & Mythology

* Celtic Tree Magic - Elizabeth Pepper

* Herbs: Gardens, Decorations, and Recipes - Emelie Tolley
* The Herb Society of America's Essential Guide to Growing and Cooking With Herbs - Katherine K. Schlosser
* The Wild Plant Companion: A Fresh Understanding of Herbal Food and Medicine - Kathryn G. March *
* The Meaning of Trees: Botany, History, Healing, Lore - Fred Hageneder

Advanced

* The Secret Life of Plants - Peter Tompkins, Christopher Bird *
* Seed to Seed: The Secret Life of Plants - Nicholas Harberd
* Scientific Validation of Herbal Medicine - Daniel Mowrey *

* The Medicine Wheel Garden: Creating Sacred Space for Healing, Celebration, and Tranquillity - E. Barrie Kavasch
* Herbal Tea Gardens: 22 Plans for Your Enjoyment & Well-Being - Marietta Marshall Marcin
* Growing At-Risk Medicinal Herbs, Cultivation, Conservation and Ecology - Richo Cech
* The Self-Sustaining Garden: A Gardener's Guide to Matrix Planting - Peter Thompson *
* The Organic Gardener's Handbook of Natural Insect and Disease Control: A Complete Problem-Solving Guide to Keeping Your Garden and Yard Healthy Without Chemicals - Barbara W. Ellis, Fern Marshall Bradley
* Permaculture: A Designers' Manual - Bill Mollison *

Herbal & Natural Health

* Leechcraft: Early English Charms, Plantlore and Healing - Stephen Pollington
* Veterinary Herbal Medicine - Susan G. Wynn
* Principles and Practice of Phytotherapy: Modern Herbal Medicine - Simon Mills *

Magickal & Spiritual

* Herbs of the Northern Shaman - Steve Andrews
* Psychedelic Shamanism: The Cultivation, Preparation & Shamanic Use of Psychoactive Plants - Jim Dekorne
* Psychedelics Encyclopedia - Peter Stafford
* The Encyclopedia of Psychoactive Plants: Ethnopharmacology and Its Applications - Christian Ratsch
* Ecoshamanism: Sacred Practices of Unity, Power and Earth Healing - James Endredy *
* Planetary Herbology - Michael Tierra
* Green Witchcraft III: The Manual - Ann Moura
* Gaia Eros: Reconnecting to the Magic and Spirit of Nature - Jesse Wolf Hardin

Incense, Oils & More

* The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Essential Oils: The Complete Guide to the Use of Oils in Aromatherapy and Herbalism (Illustrated Encyclopedia) - Julia Lawless
* The Book of Incense: Enjoying the Traditional Art of Japanese Scents - Kiyoko Morita
* The Practical Handbook of Plant Alchemy: An Herbalist's Guide to Preparing Medicinal Essences, Tinctures, and Elixirs - Manfred M. Junius

* The Renewable Energy Handbook: A Guide to Rural Energy Independence, Off-grid And Sustainable Living - William H. Kemp
* Sacred Gaia: Holistic Theology and Earth System Science - Anne Primavesi *

Home & Hearth

* Natural Remodeling for the Not-So-Green House: Bringing Your Home into Harmony with Nature - Carol Venolia, Kelly Lerner
* The Homeowner's Guide to Renewable Energy: Achieving Energy Independence Through Solar, Wind, Biomass And Hydropower - Daniel D. Chiras

Folklore & Mythology

* Ancient Herbs - Marina Heilmeyer

This sorta-not-really-"master"-list is amazing. Thanks for providing some starter points and everything else! :)

Juniper138
August 7th, 2009, 06:16 PM
Oh my I had almost forgotten that list!

Well here is a update for it, sorry if there are any repeats.

Call of the Horned Piper - Nigel Jackson

Cunning Folk and Familiar Spirits – Emma Wilby

Hedge-Rider: Witches of the Underworld - Eric de Vries

Secrets of East Anglian Magic - Nigel Pennick

Shamanism: Archaic Techniques of Ecstasy - Mircea Eliade

The Nature Path – Starhawk

Masks of Misrule: The Horned God & His Cult in Europe - Nigel Jackson

Natural Magic - Doreen Valiente

Shamans - Ronald Hutton

Psychedelic Shamanism: The Cultivation, Preparation & Shamanic Use of Psychoactive Plants - Jim Dekorne

The Way of the Hedge Witch: Rituals and Spells for Hearth and Home - Arin Murphy-Hiscock

Popular Magic: Cunning-folk in English History - Owen Davies

The Way of the Green Witch: Rituals, Spells, And Practices to Bring You Back to Nature - Arin Murphy-Hiscock

Spiritwalking - Poppy Palin

Leechcraft: Early English Charms, Plantlore and Healing - Stephen Pollington

Encyclopedia of Natural Magick – John Michael Greer

Craft Of The Wild Witch: Green Spirituality & Natural Enchantment - Poppy Palin

Healing Wise (Wise Woman Herbal Series) - Susun S. Weed

Ecoshamanism: Sacred Practices of Unity, Power and Earth Healing - James Endredy

Ancient Herbs - Marina Heilmeyer

Plant Spirit Shamanism: Traditional Techniques for Healing the Soul - Ross Heaven, Howard G. Charing, and Pablo Amaringo

Nine Worlds of Seid-Magic: Ecstasy and Neo-Shamanism in North European Paganism - Jenny Blain

The Witching Way of the Hollow Hill – Robin Artisson

The Other Side of Virtue - Dr. Brendan Myers

The Basic Essentials of Edible Wild Plants and Useful Herbs - Jim Meuninck

Peterson First Guides: Trees - George Petrides, Olivia Petrides , Janet Wehr

The Essential Guide to Herbal Safety - Simon Mills

The Complete Book of Herbs: A Practical Guide to Growing and Using Herbs - Lesley Bremness

The Secret Garden: Talking Beetles and Signaling Trees: The Hidden Ways Gardens Communicate - David Bodanis

Gaia: A New Look at Life on Earth - James Lovelock

The Ages of Gaia: A Biography of Our Living Earth - James E. Lovelock

The Magical Household - Scott Cunningham

Herbs of the Northern Shaman - Steve Andrews

Pagan Visions For A Sustainable Future - Ly de Angeles Emma Restall Orr, Thom van Dooren

Walking With Spirit: A Guide to Working with the Otherworlds - Poppy Palin

Element Encyclopedia of Witchcraft: The Complete A-Z for the Entire Magical World - Judika Illes

Irish Witchcraft - Lora O'Brien

Earth Spirit Living: Bringing Heaven and Nature into Your Home - Ann Marie Holmes

Green Pharmacy: The History and Evolution of Western Herbal Medicine - Barbara Griggs

Sacred Gaia: Holistic Theology and Earth System Science - Anne Primavesi

Wild Witchcraft: A Guide to Natural, Herbal and Earth Magic - Marian Green

Natural Witchcraft: The Timeless Arts and Crafts of the Country Witch (Natural Way) - Marian Green

The Wild Plant Companion: A Fresh Understanding of Herbal Food and Medicine - Kathryn G. March

The Practical Handbook of Plant Alchemy: An Herbalist's Guide to Preparing Medicinal Essences, Tinctures, and Elixirs - Manfred M. Junius

Veterinary Herbal Medicine - Susan G. Wynn

Psychedelics Encyclopedia - Peter Stafford

The Secret Life of Plants - Peter Tompkins, Christopher Bird

The Magical Garden: Spells, Charms, and Lore for magical Gardens and the Curious Gardeners Who Tell – Sophia and Denny Sargent

The Healing Power of Celtic Plants: Their History, Their Use, and the Scientific Evidence That They Work - Angela Paine

The Fairy Faith In Celtic Countries - WY Evans Wentz

The Self-sufficient Life and How to Live It - John Seymour

The Meaning of Herbs: Myth, Language & Lore - Ann Field

Garden Witchery: Magick from the Ground Up - Ellen Dugan

Spellcraft - Robin Skelton

White Magic: And the Cunning Folk - Karen L. O'Brien

Hoodoo Herb and Root Magic - Cat Yronwode

The Horn of Evenwood - Robin Artisson

Witchcraft Medicine: Healing Arts, Shamanic Practices, and Forbidden Plants - Claudia Muller -Ebeling, Christian Ratsch, Wolf Dieter Storl ph.D

The Brothers Grimm Fairy Tales

Aradia: or the Gospel of the Witches - Charles G. Leland

Traditions And Hearthside Stories Of West Cornwall - William Bothell (an old Celt)

The Philosophy of Natural Magic - Henry Cornelius Agrippa, ed. L. W. de Laurence

The Roebuck in the Thicket: An Anthology of the Robert Cochrane Witchcraft Tradition - Evan John Jones, Robert Cochrane, and Michael Howard

The Pillars of Tubal Cain - Nigel Jackson

Leechdoms, Wortcunning, and Starcraft of Early England: A Collection of Documents, for the Most Part Never Before Printed, Illustrating the History of Science in This Country Before the Norman Conquest. Volumes I; II: III - Thomas Oswald Cockayne and Charles Singer

The Forager's Harvest: A Guide to Identifying, Harvesting, and Preparing Edible Wild Plants - Samuel Thayer

:thumbsup: