PDA

View Full Version : Hermit Crab Pets

Agaliha
July 16th, 2006, 02:12 AM
Anyone have any? Or had any?

I keep thinking of what new pet to get when my mouse dies. She's a year old and probably won't live too long (mice have short live spans).
I was thinking a lizard or spider...but no. I want a hermit crab (land one, not sea). I'm probably get two, because they can get lonely.
I found sites for pet hermits. Seems do-able for me. Not too much specialized care.
Plus they're cute! Their big eyes and all :)
And you can get them cool shells and stuff. Oh and a hermit crab hammock (http://www.petco.com/Shop/petco_Product_R_4082_Nav_1_N_0_Ntt_hermit%20crab_sku_639850_familyID_100399.aspx)! They sleep and hang out in it and climb around-- cute!
I remember playing with them at the beach-- the sea kind-- very cool creatures.

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/9356/dor10592045wp1.jpg
Check that out: a glass shell! *wonders where to get a clear shell*

http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/6633/postmolthermitcrabtk3.jpg
http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/3572/strawjuvenilerr3.jpg

:boing:

Shanti
July 16th, 2006, 02:26 AM
I never had the pleasure of knowing one, but its strange now that I think about it.
The pet stores around here used to have hermit crabs for sale all the time.
But I haven't seen any place sell them for over a year now!
I wonder why?

Cindlady2
July 16th, 2006, 06:14 AM
We had a few and I don't really like them.... maybe we had bad ones, don't know. I stooped liking them when my kids got pinched bad a few times! I KNOW my kids were not mistreating them at all. Once it happened right in front of me! I don't know if they smelled like food or what. I don't think I would let kids have them. IF you can get along with them... I guess it would work

kheretsenu
July 16th, 2006, 11:16 AM
My brother had a few. My impression was that they're fairly easy to care for, and he never got pinched seriously. (Certainly no more than a mouse bite.)

They do seem to have some longevity issues.

OrionNeb87
July 16th, 2006, 11:48 AM
I used to have pet hermit crabs a looooong time ago. They were pretty cool, I never got pinched and they were easy to care for. They didn't live long though.

Deranged Hermit
July 16th, 2006, 12:01 PM
I had some back in the stone age, when I was in college. (that was even before I was a hermit.. :huh: sorry... ) _inabox_ Yeah, they didn't live too long. Mine were very docile though. They never made any attempt to pinch. I handled them all the time, kept them in a shallow fishbowl with gravel in it, and let them run around (so to speak) on my bed so they wouldn't get too bored.
:weirdsmil

Anubis
July 16th, 2006, 12:10 PM
http://www.hermit-crabs.com/

some care info... and there is a link on this site to a woman who claims hers are over 20 years old..

Agaliha
July 16th, 2006, 06:37 PM
Thanks.
I read that the short life span could be caused by an environment that's not the best. Too little humidity and their gills dry out and they die. Too cold or too hot. Etc.
I'm aware. With proper care they can live to be old-- like was mentioned 20. Petco's care sheets even list 20 as the max. Probably not the most common, but still.
I'm not looking for a pet to live forever. Hence why I scraped the corn snake idea and settled for 3 mice, only one is alive still.
And for pinching-- not worired about it. Doesn't bother me. The ones at the beach pinched me many times! Never drew blood. Plus once they get used to you, pinching may not be a problem.

OrionNeb87
July 16th, 2006, 08:25 PM
I read that the short life span could be caused by an environment that's not the best. Too little humidity and their gills dry out and they die. Too cold or too hot. Etc.

Thats probably why mine didn't live long. Florida's heat is unbearable at times and their habitat was placed on a window sill.

CalisticSunrise
July 16th, 2006, 08:50 PM
I had a pet hermit crab before. actually 3.. they sleep a lot.. a lot.... lol.. but they are easy to take care of and cute. The one was more active than the others and would run up to the side of the tank when you came to it. i think they are cute. mine never pinched really they would try, but it never hurt. i think mine lived about 4 or 5 years i can't remember.

_Banbha_
July 17th, 2006, 12:01 AM
I think Hermit Crabs are adorable. I've only played with the wild ones as well. The glass shell is stunning but I wonder if it's healthly for them.

How could you keep the gills properly moist without keeping them in a teriarium? Could you use a spray bottle? a humidifiers?

Just asking becuase dying of dried out gills sounds painful.

Agaliha
July 17th, 2006, 12:09 AM
They are cute :)

I don't know about the glass shell. I would only do it if it's safe and marketed for hermit crabs (as in not a accent or display item for decorating a house). And I'd never uses shells gathered from a beach...might have paracites and stuff.

There are things you can get to keep the humidity. I've seen these little "pillow" things you wet and place in the housing to help keep the moisture. Misting can be done too. Sea sponges are used too.
And keeping the temp at the correct range-- 72-80 F (22-27 C).

Care of Hermit Crabs - Temperature and Humidity (http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geuul9DLtEJOsA7HVXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTE2bmVkczQ3BGNvbG8DZQRsA1dTMQRwb3MDMQRzZWMDc3IEdnRpZANGNTYxX zc5/SIG=12i89m79p/EXP=1153195517/**http%3a//exoticpets.about.com/cs/hermitcrabs/a/hermithomes_2.htm)
Humidity
Along with the proper temperature, adequate humidity in the tank is vitally important to hermit crabs. Since crabs "breathe" via gills, the proper exchange of oxygen by the crabs depends on the humidity in the air, so if the tank air is too dry the crabs will essentially suffocate. They need a relative humidity of around 70-80% and since this is so important to the crabs it is worth investing in a humidity meter (hygrometer) so you can make sure the crabs will be okay. You should be able to find one in the reptile section of the pet store. Excess humidity is not desirable either as it will cause condensation as well as encouraging the growth of bacteria and fungus in the tank. The water dish you provide in the tank will likely be sufficient for creating the proper humidity, as long as the tank is enclosed (solid sides and top). If you need to increase the humidity level, try a fairly large chunk of natural sea sponge in a dish of water (remember to always use dechlorinated water). The sponge can hold lots of water and has lots of surface are for evaporation to boost the humidity. Have a couple of sponges on hand so you can swap and clean them frequently (soak them in very hot dechorinated water or a sea salt/water mix, then allow them to dry completely as they are a good medium for bacterial growth). If a mesh or vented lid is making humidity control difficult, the lid can be modified by covering most of the top with plastic wrap or clear packing tape.

If you're really interested I can post some sites that explain their care.

mystic_peacock
July 17th, 2006, 02:51 PM
I had a really bad experience with hermit crabs. I got one for a birthday present and then bought him two tiny little hermit crab friends and a giant "empty shell" so that he could move to a bigger home when he was ready.
That empty shell turned out to have a huge albino crab in it, he came out and they all had an epic battle... the original crab was the only one that survived. Ew ew ew.
If you end up getting one, check the empty shells they sell to make sure there's no crab in it! Hehehe.

--Serra

Agaliha
July 17th, 2006, 05:58 PM
Wow, weird.
The shells come sanatized and packaged for hermit crabs. They're empty, sitting on the shelf.
I don't know how yours had a crab in it, but uh, that's not the norm. Perhaps someone just took it off the beach or it was in the hermit crab area in the pet store and the people working there were clueless.

But uh, why didn't you remove one of the crabs if you knew there was something it it?

I'm not at all worried about shells.

_Banbha_
July 17th, 2006, 08:41 PM
Thanks for the humidity info. I have ahsma(that I keep well-controlled) and am sensitive to needing humidity for my own lungs, I felt for the crabs. 8O

While I'm not going to be getting any new pets this summer, there is a definate possiblity in the future. :)

It could be a really nice project to make my own enclosure for them.

Agaliha
July 17th, 2006, 10:12 PM
Ah, asthma. My sister has it. Gets pretty severe at times. She used to use the nebulizer thing a lot, with the humidity.
I just hope the hermit crabs don't suffer when their gills dry out. I know people have said lobsters (which are close to crabs) don't feel pain when boiled alive, and after reading some sites it makes sense...they don't seem to have the nerves to feel pain like we do, or so its said. I still wouldn't want to be the one to cause something to die especially if it's easily avoidable (ie making sure the humidity is right). Seems senseless.

Oh, if you ever get one let me know!
I have to wait till my mouse dies. I don't have enough room in my room for more cages. She's a little more than a year, but still going! So I won't have any hermit crabs for awhile. Plus I want to get everything step up first before I even buy them.

:)

mystic_peacock
July 17th, 2006, 11:00 PM
Wow, weird.
The shells come sanatized and packaged for hermit crabs. They're empty, sitting on the shelf.
I don't know how yours had a crab in it, but uh, that's not the norm. Perhaps someone just took it off the beach or it was in the hermit crab area in the pet store and the people working there were clueless.

But uh, why didn't you remove one of the crabs if you knew there was something it it?

I'm not at all worried about shells.

I got the shell at this kiosk in our local mall called "Hermit Crab World" instead of a pet store... I'm not sure where they get the shells, they just have a box of them that you rummage through and find the right size for your pet.
I didn't remove the crabs because this all happened at night and I awoke to death and mayhem.
--Serra

Agaliha
July 17th, 2006, 11:32 PM
Ah, well that sucks. :(

_Banbha_
July 18th, 2006, 12:31 AM
That white one must have been a different species?

Or that's a good lesson in not introducing new hermit crabs to your 'pack' without introducing them slowly over time? Don't know if that's true about hermit crabs though.

Cindlady2
July 18th, 2006, 05:38 AM
I got the shell at this kiosk in our local mall called "Hermit Crab World" instead of a pet store... I'm not sure where they get the shells, they just have a box of them that you rummage through and find the right size for your pet.
I didn't remove the crabs because this all happened at night and I awoke to death and mayhem.
--Serra
Never a good way to wake up!

kapora
July 24th, 2006, 04:53 PM
We have 7 hermit crabs, they are lots of fun but very picky about their enviornment. Once you get a good cage set up they are pretty easy to take care of. I went on this forum a lot to get advice when we first got ours. They are very helpful there.

http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/index.php