PDA

View Full Version : Recon Question

Sionnach le Fey
July 16th, 2006, 01:56 PM
Okay, so I've been wondering, is it possible (or not frowned apon by the recon community) to practise another religion along side reconstructionism separately?
For example, Druidry and Celtic Reconstructionism. Could someone be a Druid, or a follower of the Druid path, and be a Celtic Reconstructionist also? Keeping the two religions (if someone followed Druidry as a religion and not a philosophy) separate from eachother. Or does that not work? Or is it that Celtic Recon and Druidry are quite similar, it does work? Does it depend on the religions?

So...yeah, just curious :)

Theres
July 16th, 2006, 02:26 PM
wow, i find that ONE takes all of my time and attention.

i can't imagine trying to give two religions the proper time and soul they deserve (or why one would want to! :confused: ).

amunakht
July 16th, 2006, 02:33 PM
I don't know how your Druid gods are like but I know they Kemetic gods won't get jelous. From what I know only the Christian god is jelous (but thats not to worry about as he doesn't exist). You will also need to consult with the particular patron god you have too. Sekhmet requires that you stay dedicated to only her, if you wish to develop a very close relationship with her and take advantage of her benefits she has to offer you as her follower.

Morr
July 16th, 2006, 02:40 PM
I dont know about TWO religions.

I dont see how you can follow TWO religions... Hmp.

I personally am an Irish Reconstructionist. I worship my Irish Deities. I also, however, honor (and there is a difference between worship and honor, imho) other Deities outside of the Irish Pantheon.

Thats as far as I "stray" away from my religion. I just pay attention sometimes to none Irish Deities. However, I dont practice none Irish Recon. practices.

Sionnach le Fey
July 16th, 2006, 02:53 PM
I can see how following 2 religions would be difficult, and would certainly take alot of time and energy.

Thanks for the replies :)

Arion
July 16th, 2006, 03:47 PM
I'm not a recon, but I think I can relate to what you are asking. My religion is Feri tradition Witchcraft; it is central to me religious and spiritual practices and beliefs. Still, I worship quite a few Greek Gods, and I am influenced a lot by the Hellenic religious ideas.

It is pretty easy to blend Witchcraft with other Pagan religious philiosophies as long as you stick with the central beliefs and practices of your tradition, you can work with other deities and blend in other myths, so I'm lucky like that. As for you -- Druidry and Celtic recon, I do not know. The Druids were Celtic weren't they? (Sorry, not very knowledgable about that part of the world). In my understanding, the Druids were the priests/religious leaders of the Celtic Gods, so it would fit into Celtic recon easily. I could be wrong though.

You might have to choose one of them to be your main belief system where you follow the ethics, philosophies, ideals, etc., and add the parts you like of the other path to your base religion. Or I guess you could mix-and-match with both of them to create a hybrid of the two, but I wouldn't recommend that :nyah:

Good luck:)

skilly-nilly
July 16th, 2006, 06:12 PM
I dont know about TWO religions.

I dont see how you can follow TWO religions... Hmp.

I personally am an Irish Reconstructionist. I worship my Irish Deities. I also, however, honor (and there is a difference between worship and honor, imho) other Deities outside of the Irish Pantheon.

Thats as far as I "stray" away from my religion. I just pay attention sometimes to none Irish Deities. However, I dont practice none Irish Recon. practices.

Just checking--"I just pay attention sometimes to non-Irish Deities. However, I dont practice non-Irish Recon. practices." perhaps? "none Irish Deities" would be a slightly ungrammatical way of saying not one Irish Deity; which isn't what I think you mean.

Okay, so I've been wondering, is it possible (or not frowned apon by the recon community) to practise another religion along side reconstructionism separately?
For example, Druidry and Celtic Reconstructionism. Could someone be a Druid, or a follower of the Druid path, and be a Celtic Reconstructionist also? Keeping the two religions (if someone followed Druidry as a religion and not a philosophy) separate from eachother. Or does that not work? Or is it that Celtic Recon and Druidry are quite similar, it does work? Does it depend on the religions?

So...yeah, just curious :)

Are you curious about any 2 pair-ups of recon and religion or that specific pair?

Some Druids consider themselves to be following a philosophical or learning-oriented Path that has very little to do with religion. Some Druids consider themselves to be re-constructing an Ancient Religion that has not too much to do with their daily practices/jobs/lifestyle. Some Druids consider themselves to be full-fledged re-cons with Druidry as a religion, integral to their every moment.

Some Re-Cons* consider themselves to be archeologists living wholly in the modern world. Some Re-Cons* are interested in maintaining or re-creating specific skills without taking on a life-style and living in a daub-and-wattle bothy. Some Re-Cons* are irreligious and some are very devout.

I think you need a clearer sense of what you, yourself mean when you are using those 2 terms.

* In the interests of shortness, I mean Specific Celtic-type Re-Cons:
Celtic Reconstructionists, Ancient Irish Kind;
Allowing one to identify one's self in short by merely saying, "I'm on C.R.A.I.K."

beachj
July 16th, 2006, 07:01 PM
From what I know only the Christian god is jelous (but thats not to worry about as he doesn't exist)

Interesting you believe in all these gods, yet you believe that the christian one doesn't exist.
From what I understand the christian god seems to be the one with the most morality rules and sever consiquences for breaking them. I may be wrong however. It's my guess that people dont believe in him more, so that they can do what they want, and not feel guilty or have to worry about consiquences.
.. And I also believe that the muslim god isnt too fond of following gods other then him. Some say its the same god, others dont.
Personaly I find it hard enough to please one god as aposed to several. Well to each his/her own, but please note: This is just my opinion, I do not want to, and I hope I did not come accross as 'preachy'
I just wanted to state my opinion, and respond to an 'offensive' remark.
I have never said that your god doesnt exist...

_Banbha_
July 16th, 2006, 09:48 PM
Some Druids consider themselves to be following a philosophical or learning-oriented Path that has very little to do with religion. Some Druids consider themselves to be re-constructing an Ancient Religion that has not too much to do with their daily practices/jobs/lifestyle. Some Druids consider themselves to be full-fledged re-cons with Druidry as a religion, integral to their every moment.

Some Re-Cons* consider themselves to be archeologists living wholly in the modern world. Some Re-Cons* are interested in maintaining or re-creating specific skills without taking on a life-style and living in a daub-and-wattle bothy. Some Re-Cons* are irreligious and some are very devout.

I think you need a clearer sense of what you, yourself mean when you are using those 2 terms.

* In the interests of shortness, I mean Specific Celtic-type Re-Cons:
Celtic Reconstructionists, Ancient Irish Kind;
Allowing one to identify one's self in short by merely saying, "I'm on C.R.A.I.K."

Well said. :) There are different ways to be or maybe approach Celtic Recon.

In addition, I know Celtic Christian and Catholic Celtic Recons who are not conflicted in the least. And some of them happen to be most knowlegable in lore, traditions and language because they are from and live An Gaeltacht.

Getting back to your question Siver Nightfire you make your own path; but I don't see any conflict. As far as Druidry and Celtic Recon, one can inform the other and lead to a very rich experience. :)

ETA: for clarity, the word Celtic seen in bolded print.

Haerfest Leah
July 16th, 2006, 11:05 PM
Someone needs to draw me a picture on how Celtic Recon and Druidry are two different things? I thought Druidry was just a higher/more devoted state of working with the Celtic pantheon. Or something like Celtic just being a culture and Druidry being the religion for that culture. Ah crap I'm confused.

amunakht
July 17th, 2006, 01:01 AM
Personaly I find it hard enough to please one god as aposed to several. Well to each his/her own, but please note: This is just my opinion, I do not want to, and I hope I did not come accross as 'preachy'
I just wanted to state my opinion, and respond to an 'offensive' remark.
I have never said that your god doesnt exist...

I, find it harder to please one god rather than several. You are just the other way around. In a monotheistic religions you don't have a choice from what god you want to be lead by, it's like an authoritarian one-party system. How would you feel if your president was only elected from one party? no opposition, no choices. In a polytheistic religion you don't have to worship several gods, it's only if you want to. You can simply worship your one favorite god from the entire choices of gods.

Sorry to offend you but I have no idea what a christian would be doing around here.

Theres
July 17th, 2006, 01:54 AM
In a polytheistic religion you don't have to worship several gods, it's only if you want to. You can simply worship your one favorite god from the entire choices of gods.
no, not quite.

Sorry to offend you but I have no idea what a christian would be doing around here.
wow, and i was just wondering what a narrow mind would find to keep it around here. life's funny, huh?

Morr
July 17th, 2006, 04:48 AM
When I say "non-Irish" I meant not of the Irish Pantheon. Um. I am also a foreigner who's English isnt mother tongue.. So.. Um. Ok?

And I can see how Witchcraft can be incorporated into a Religion. Since Witchcraft is NOT a religion it is just a practice.

I practice Kitchen Witchery, since in my Recon path I am more of the hearthy type, Kitchen Witchery works wonderfully and adds to my path.

Sionnach le Fey
July 17th, 2006, 05:01 AM
Are you curious about any 2 pair-ups of recon and religion or that specific pair?

Both. For me, personally, I've been wondering about Druidry and Celtic Recon, but at the same time I'm curious whether any religion or practise can be paired up with reconstructionism.

Getting back to your question Siver Nightfire you make your own path; but I don't see any conflict. As far as Druidry and Celtic Recon, one can inform the other and lead to a very rich experience. :)

Thank you. I was thinking whether there would be conflict between the two paths.

Thanks again, guys. You've helped me out alot! :boing:

beachj
July 17th, 2006, 05:09 AM
no, not quite.

wow, and i was just wondering what a narrow mind would find to keep it around here. life's funny, huh?

Who said anything about me being narrow minded?
I'm here because I'm NOT narrow minded....
After all I'm not the one who said that some one's god doesn't exist....

beachj
July 17th, 2006, 05:17 AM
I, find it harder to please one god rather than several. You are just the other way around. In a monotheistic religions you don't have a choice from what god you want to be lead by, it's like an authoritarian one-party system. How would you feel if your president was only elected from one party? no opposition, no choices. In a polytheistic religion you don't have to worship several gods, it's only if you want to. You can simply worship your one favorite god from the entire choices of gods.

I see your point...
It does after all kind of take the choice out of things. One still does have the choice on wich religion to follow.
and I came here for friends and what not.
I dont preach, or bash your chosen paths, nor do I call you narrow minded.

skilly-nilly
July 17th, 2006, 10:24 AM
When I say "non-Irish" I meant not of the Irish Pantheon. Um. I am also a foreigner who's English isnt mother tongue.. So.. Um. Ok?

Sure. it's just that it took me a couple of tries to figure out what you were saying, so I wanted to check--I don't like to make assumptions about other peoples' posts. I had already thought that English wasn't your milk-tongue because your syntax is a little odd. Is your first language Hebrew and does that language use double negatives??

Just personal interest on my part, nothing to do with religion. I'm interested in the workings-out of cultures.

I would have asked in karma, but I have agreed with you too recently and I have to agree with some other posters before I can karma you again.

Both. For me, personally, I've been wondering about Druidry and Celtic Recon, but at the same time I'm curious whether any religion or practise can be paired up with reconstructionism.

Thank you. I was thinking whether there would be conflict between the two paths.

Thanks again, guys. You've helped me out alot! :boing:

There are 2 similar but different ways of undertaking a Path that I see as quite separate (my personal opinion only). They are syncretism and eclecticism.

syn·cre·tism P Pronunciation Key (sngkr-tzm, sn-)
n.
Reconciliation or fusion of differing systems of belief, as in philosophy or religion, especially when success is partial or the result is heterogeneous.

1eclec·tic
Pronunciation: e-'klek-tik, i-
Function: adjective
1 : selecting what appears to be best in various doctrines or methods

The way I see it, there is a difference between blending what is harmonious and historically reasonable and picking major elements of one's religion as if it were a Chinese restaurant menu.

On the one hand. the Irish were and are very apt syncretists. Looking at the Culdee Church for example, it's easy to see the stirring-in of the Druid class with the monastic orders. The Land Spirits is another example--the Holy Wells etc just shifted personifications and continued on. Recognizing the Spirits of Where You Are is very important, imo, and perfectly congruent with Irish Re-Con. So Kitchen Witchery, or Urban Gods, or the Mother Spirit of the Maple(if you live where there are Maples) are all syncretic with Irish Re-Constructionism, imo.

On the other hand, I think it would be inappropriate to incorporate Pele (for example) in one's pantheon unless one actually lived in Hawaii or was Hawaiian--the two cultures are historically completely separate. Not that I give a good care what other people actually do, that's just my opinion about it.

So, on the gripping hand, while I think that Irish Re-Con and Druidry are harmonious, I wouldn't think that all mixes of two Paths are reasonable. I like garlic and ice cream, but not garlic ice cream.

Morr
July 17th, 2006, 11:29 AM
Sure. it's just that it took me a couple of tries to figure out what you were saying, so I wanted to check--I don't like to make assumptions about other peoples' posts. I had already thought that English wasn't your milk-tongue because your syntax is a little odd. Is your first language Hebrew and does that language use double negatives??

Just personal interest on my part, nothing to do with religion. I'm interested in the workings-out of cultures.

I would have asked in karma, but I have agreed with you too recently and I have to agree with some other posters before I can karma you again.

Yeah, my mother tongue is Hebrew. Though my English is ALMOST at mother tongue level. But I never really studied English grammer and all that stuff. I lived in the US for 7 years, and then moved back here. So my Hebrew and English sometime get messed up. I forget translation for English words in Hebrew, and vice versa sometimes :lol: Fun!

Double negatives? I think.. Last time I studied Hebrew grammer and linguistics was in 12th grade, I slept most of the time, and this was a good 6 years ago. Sorry, I suck at linguistics and grammer with ANY language. Give me history, but not linguistics... Its all Greek to me at the end! ;)

Theres
July 17th, 2006, 11:46 AM
Who said anything about me being narrow minded?
I'm here because I'm NOT narrow minded....
After all I'm not the one who said that some one's god doesn't exist....
i think you might want to go back and re-read my post (which was not directed at you).

amunakht
July 17th, 2006, 12:02 PM
no, not quite.

What do you mean "not quite'? You can choose one or two gods if you want. Priests of a certain temple dedicated themselves only to ONE god. You're not going to need to worship ALL gods within your particular religion

Sionnach le Fey
July 17th, 2006, 12:46 PM
There are 2 similar but different ways of undertaking a Path that I see as quite separate (my personal opinion only). They are syncretism and eclecticism.

syn·cre·tism P Pronunciation Key (sngkr-tzm, sn-)
n.
Reconciliation or fusion of differing systems of belief, as in philosophy or religion, especially when success is partial or the result is heterogeneous.

1eclec·tic
Pronunciation: e-'klek-tik, i-
Function: adjective
1 : selecting what appears to be best in various doctrines or methods

The way I see it, there is a difference between blending what is harmonious and historically reasonable and picking major elements of one's religion as if it were a Chinese restaurant menu.

On the one hand. the Irish were and are very apt syncretists. Looking at the Culdee Church for example, it's easy to see the stirring-in of the Druid class with the monastic orders. The Land Spirits is another example--the Holy Wells etc just shifted personifications and continued on. Recognizing the Spirits of Where You Are is very important, imo, and perfectly congruent with Irish Re-Con. So Kitchen Witchery, or Urban Gods, or the Mother Spirit of the Maple(if you live where there are Maples) are all syncretic with Irish Re-Constructionism, imo.

On the other hand, I think it would be inappropriate to incorporate Pele (for example) in one's pantheon unless one actually lived in Hawaii or was Hawaiian--the two cultures are historically completely separate. Not that I give a good care what other people actually do, that's just my opinion about it.

So, on the gripping hand, while I think that Irish Re-Con and Druidry are harmonious, I wouldn't think that all mixes of two Paths are reasonable. I like garlic and ice cream, but not garlic ice cream.

Ahh yes, that makes alot of sense :idea:

Lovehound
July 17th, 2006, 09:21 PM
I don't know how your Druid gods are like but I know they Kemetic gods won't get jelous. From what I know only the Christian god is jelous (but thats not to worry about as he doesn't exist).

That's rather rude.

Oh, and it's "jealous" not "jelous."

Me, I'm Heathen AND Christian. I am "prime signed" - marked with the cross but I also do blots to my ancestral deities.

Put That in your peace pipe and smoke it, honey.

(BTW - let's watch and see if the words I just wrote will annoy the poster I responded to.)

adrianne
July 18th, 2006, 12:00 AM
Dude, Amunakht, go grind your axe somewhere else.

Agaliha
July 18th, 2006, 12:59 AM

My mind is saying don't get involved, but I feel the need to add-- Amunakht you need to be more respecful of other's beliefs and paths.
Everyone is welcome here. Christians, Jews, Muslims, Kemetics, Atheists, New Agers, Wiccans, Tamerans, Recons and anything inbetween.
It's not just a Pagan community despite it's name.
The key here is to be respectful, which is the number one rule. I've seen many threads where you have been a little less respectful and more disrespectful. The Temeran thread and some others.
You've been here all of three days and you're already rubbing tons of people the wrong way. There are other ways of stating your point. So you don't agree with something, okay that's fine...but be respectful of others beliefs and views! There are many Christians here, many Christo-Pagans and others that are monotheistic-- they have a right to be here too.
I have a feeling if you keep it up people might not hesitate to report you. I won't. In many threads you've been given hints and clues to your rudeness. Take them and tone in down.

(BTW, not trying to be an Admin or Mod here)

David19
July 18th, 2006, 07:07 PM
I don't know how your Druid gods are like but I know they Kemetic gods won't get jelous. From what I know only the Christian god is jelous (but thats not to worry about as he doesn't exist)

That's not respecting anyone's beliefs, IMO. To say that all the other deities exist 'except' YHWH is insulting to Jew's/Christian's/Muslim's, etc. While i haven't had any experiences with Yahweh, i do think/know Yahweh exists (i don't believe he's the creator of the universe/multiverse, but i don't think any deity is. I mentioned in another thread that it's a feeling i get that the gods are individual's, and that includes Yahweh.

But back to the original question, i'm not too sure, i think it depends on the religion, (for example, i think you can practice Kemetism and another religion as long as you keep them seperate like i think the pharoh of the Kemetic Orthodox temple in Chicago is also a practicioner of Vodou (correct me if i'm wrong?)), or with Jewish/Hebrew 'paganism' (worshipping the pre-monotheistic Jewish deities, a Israeli told me as long as you keep them seperate, you can practice another religion).

As for Druidry and Celtic reconstructionism, i always thought that Druidry was the priestly path of the Celt's, and Celtic reconstructionism was more the everyday beliefs and religion of the Celt's (i'm not sure if that's right thought, as i'm not a Celtic recon or Druid).